Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Caleb Barnes (20) killed Cheryl Silvonek (54), the mother of his girlfriend Jamie (14), because she didn't approve of their relationship

It's A Given That He Deserves To Die For What He Did.
    Oh God, Stop The Voices *SCREAM*

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I don't think so. (an usually I'm the first to blame the adult male) I think she wanted Mom dead and soldier boy was just a tool.

I do agree that she's a nutcase.
    Sometimes I surprise myself.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I don't think so. (an usually I'm the first to blame the adult male) I think she wanted Mom dead and soldier boy was just a tool.

I do agree that she's a nutcase.
    Sometimes I surprise myself.

I'm with you on this one. I've defended the girls in these kinds of cases every single time in the past but not this time. This girl really isn't your typical 14 yr old & look at the last lot of texts. I think mum was in the process of convincing him he was the one being lied to, maybe he was starting to sound like he was going to side with her against Jamie. If she's anything like the kid I know she probably gets very nasty when the recipients of her various lies actually manage to speak to each other, put the pieces together & discover they've been manipulated into not speaking to each other.

All the talk of murder is from her & there's nothing from him indicating agreement is there? Just one or 2 texts that could've been a joking reply because he didn't think she was actually serious. Teenagers let off steam that way pretty often, I can't count the times I've heard conversations like that - none of them went through with it. She was bombarding him with it & he was only really replying re all her drama over the arrangements for attending the concert. I'm not convinced he really thought this was going to happen - but maybe I missed something in the texts.

Jamie had cuts on her hands? Did he have cuts too? Would she be crying for her mum like a typical 14 yr old if she wasn't in a cell right now? I came into this thread 100% on her side & blaming the only adult who left that car alive, but now I'm really, really not so sure.

I've also wondered about the cuts on her hands. I never did find an article that mention solider boy had cuts, only her. I wonder if he chickened out so Jamie did the stabbing herself?

The fact that they also planned to kill the dad screams that this girl had probably been thinking about this for awhile. Especially because she knew about their life insurance.

When I'm reading their text- I can almost imagine what Jamie was saying to herself while she was texting him....."you're an idiot"

Has his fb been posted?

https://www.facebook.com/caleb.barnes.376?fref=ts

I'm finding it hard to believe that she doesn't have one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    Has his fb been posted?

https://www.facebook.com/caleb.barnes.376?fref=ts

I'm finding it hard to believe that she doesn't have one...

I think it's back on pg 1 but I'm not positive. If she did have one you'd think she'd be on his friend list. She's pretty active on twitter & more into causes/science etc which twitter is a lot better for once you get used to it, so it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehi...sed_of_ho.html

A prosecutor says an*Upper Macungie Township eighth-grader accused of conspiring with her soldier boyfriend to have her mother killed should remain in adult jail while awaiting trial.

Defense attorney John Waldron had filed a petition to have 14-year-old Jamie Silvonek returned to the juvenile facility where she was sent the day after the body of 54-year-old Cheryl Silvonek was discovered last month.

The Morning Call reports that Lehigh County District Attorney*Jim Martin said Friday that he will oppose the petition as well as Waldron's request to move the case to juvenile court.

The teenager is charged as an adult with homicide and criminal conspiracy. Twenty-year-old Caleb Barnes of Fort Meade, Maryland, is charged with homicide
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-12-2015 at 05:30 AM.

I have a feeling this chick would have ended up killing someone at some point. It just so happened to be her Mother. What a manipulative child she is. Scary.

The DA wants her to remain in adult jail. Her defense is trying to get her moved to juvy.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...410-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The DA wants her to remain in adult jail. Her defense is trying to get her moved to juvy.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...410-story.html
    Not sure how I feel about this...I mean, emotionally I think she deserves to be treated as an adult because she was the mastermind AND wanted to kill her dad for the insurance. That's planning right there and if she can do this at fourteen what'll society have to look forward to if she were to be a free adult with all the power adults have that teens don't?

At the same time, I wonder if exposing her to hardened adults might make her...worse? Or teach her how to be more devious than she already is?

I don't know. All I do know is that there needs to be justice for her poor mom:-(.

And another thing! This is moot at this point but if some chick's mom proves to you that she lied about her age why the hell still go to the concert and communicate with her again??
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Looks like she got over her undying love for Caleb pretty damn fast. He's gone from boyfriend/crush to rapist in her version of events.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...other/32371590

Debate continues in the Jamie Silvonek case

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -
    A 14-year-old girl is facing charges in the death of her mother March 15, and now her attorney and the Lehigh County district attorney are drawing new legal battle lines in the 8th grader's case.

Jamie Silvonek's attorney John Waldron said she was raped by her boyfriend and that she may have been questioned by police illegally.

He's also fighting for her to be moved to a juvenile facility.

Waldron said Silvonek was questioned by police without a guardian present the entire time.

"Once her grandmother found out where this was leading and found out her daughter was dead, she couldn't handle it, she left. So Jamie was there by herself and the interviews continued
    ," Waldron said. "These are on video and audio tapes that I'm going to see and motions will probably be filed whether this was legal."

Martin said Silvonek was not a suspect when she was at the police station and originally claimed she didn't know where her mother was at the time.

Martin said that all changed when she said something incriminating.

He said Silvonek's grandmother left the room because she was upset about finding out about the death of her daughter, But Silvonek could have asked for her grandmother, who was still at the police station, to come back into the room at any time.

Silvonek also claims Barnes raped her.

Waldron said while there was consensual sex between Silvonek and her boyfriend, she claims the intercourse that happened in the hours after the murder of her mother was not consensual.

He said, "After the incident we believe there may have been and was sexual intercourse that was not consensual."

Martin said the allegation was made a day later.

Both attorneys are studying facts and video, like the one of Barnes and Silvonek in Walmart where the couple was allegedly buying products to clean up the crime scene.

Waldron said, "I believe Jamie flips his hood over his head somewhat playfully. Here's the thing: by that time, it's my understanding that threats had been made from Barnes."

If convicted as an adult, Silvonek could get a life sentence, but because of her age, there is the chance of parole.

If she's moved to a juvenile court, the maximum time she could face is seven years behind bars.

Copyright 2015 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-15-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Well yeah, the lawyer has to have some plan of defense.

And technically it was rape since she was 14 and he was 20.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Looks like she got over her undying love for Caleb pretty damn fast. He's gone from boyfriend/crush to rapist in her version of events.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...other/32371590

Hmmm.
    Gee, who could have ever predicted that?
    Ma'am, what is hard to explain about a person breathing or not breathing? what is so difficult? why is that a difficult concept for you?

Well yeah, the lawyer has to have some plan of defense.

And technically it was rape since she was 14 and he was 20.

It is, absolutely but now there's a very definite impression of "feared for my life" sexual assault versus "at 14 I threw myself at an adult I was crushing on who was sleazy enough not to say no"

Sigh. I don' t like what I'm saying here. I don't even know what I'm really thinking here. I usually have a very black & white view of adults who get involved with under-aged kids. VERY black & white. I've always argued that the mental-age/IQ of the younger party is irrelevant because their emotional age is what counts & the 13- 16 age group is just not equipped to deal with the shit that comes with an adult relationship. I felt sympathy for Jasmine Richardson & Tess Damm & a hundred more like them ffs

But Jamie Silvonek has me questioning everything

Just realised the reports are all saying he did it because that's the version he gave to police. Maybe he did. Maybe he just lost it, but I won't be surprised if forensics eventually say otherwise.

Would it be considered rape on his part if she lied about her age?

I'm pretty sure that technically speaking, yes.

Lots of statutory rape victims lie about their age. The woman raped by Roman Polanski has admitted she told him she was 18.

It looks like it depends on the state.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...-partner-told-

“I swear I thought she was 18!” This is a claim that a lot of statutory rape defendants make. Some may even be telling the truth. But, does it even matter? Not in most states.

Generally speaking, a person commits the crime of statutory rape when he or she is over a certain age and has sex with a person under a certain age (the statutory age of consent), even if the underage person consented to have sex. Statutory rape is usually a “strict liability” crime, meaning that the intent or state of mind of the offender is irrelevant. So long as he or she had sex with someone under the statutory age of consent, he or she has committed the crime. So, what the offender thought, including what he or she thought was the victim’s true age, does not matter and will not be the basis of a defense to the crime.

Some states, however, do have laws that allow a statutory rape defendant to offer evidence of his or her reasonable belief that the victim was over the age of statutory consent. In some of those states, the circumstances under which the defense may be offered are limited (for example, to situations where the victim was over a certain age but under the age of consent, or where the victim’s own statements created the offender’s mistaken belief about the victim’s age).
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

I didn't realise adult charges also = adult jail. Then again, it might end up being safer than a juvenile facility. Adults might be more likely to ignore her shit rather than thump her for it. Maybe.

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-83327181/

Eighth-grader Jamie Silvonek, accused of having her mother killed because she refused to let her date her older soldier boyfriend, will remain in adult jail after a Lehigh County judge denied a petition to have her transferred to a juvenile facility.

John Waldron, Silvonek's attorney, said he received word late Friday that Lehigh County Judge Maria Dantos signed an order denying his petition. A hearing had been scheduled for Monday, he said.

Since Silvonek was charged as an adult with homicide and sent to jail in a so-called direct file, prosecutors would have had to give the go-ahead for a hearing, Waldron said.

"I don't get to argue it," Waldron said. "It's that simple."

District Attorney Jim Martin said April 10 he was opposed to having Silvonek moved out of county jail.

Silvonek, 14, is charged with 20-year-old Caleb G. Barnes in the early March 15 slaying in front of the Silvonek family home in Upper Macungie Township.

Jamie Silvonek was sent to the Lehigh County Jail on April 2, the day she was charged as an adult with homicide and related crimes, making her the youngest girl in county history charged as an adult with homicide. She had been held in a juvenile facility in Berks County since the day her mother's body was discovered in a shallow grave off a South Whitehall Township road.

Police found Cheryl Silvonek's body at 5:55 a.m. March 15. Her vehicle was found partially submerged in a pond a few miles from the Silvonek home at 1516 Randi Lane.

That's where police found Jamie Silvonek and Barnes naked in bed.

Barnes, based at Fort Meade, Md., admitted to investigators he stabbed Cheryl Silvonek, 54, in the neck several times in her sport utility vehicle while it was parked in the driveway of the Silvonek home, police say. Jamie Silvonek was in the rear seat, he told police.

The investigation led to a witness who overheard Silvonek discuss killing her parents with Barnes on March 7, the day after her mother told her to end the relationship, police say.

Investigators said they uncovered about 75 text messages in which Silvonek tried to persuade Barnes to kill her mother. In one, she wrote "I want her gone," police say.

The text messages also reveal Silvonek lied to Barnes about her age, saying she was 17, and asked him to lie to her mother so he appeared younger.

Cheryl Silvonek took her daughter and Barnes to a concert in Scranton and a diner near their home just before she was killed, police said. Surveillance footage from a Walmart captured the couple playfully shopping for cleaning supplies after the killing.

Welp, she wanted to be special, and now she is.

14 or not, this girl is a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I'm seriously wondering if he's covering for her, especially after reading this

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../?related=true

Jamie Silvonek had several scrapes on her fingers, a cut on her hand and a broken acrylic fingernail

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-83409816/

Jamie Silvonek's father speaks out about his wife's murder, daughter's arrest

EMILY PAINE

VIDEO: Jamie Silvonek's father speaks out about his wife's murder, daughter's arrest

11:44 am, April 30, 2015
    His wife is dead and his 14-year-old daughter Jamie sits in a jail cell, charged with her mother's murder. For David Silvonek, the last six weeks have been a nightmare without end.

"I wake up sometimes and can't believe it happened," he said. "My poor wife."

Blindsided by shock and sadness, the Upper Macungie Township man has barely had time to mourn for his wife of 24 years. Instead, he said, his days are consumed with fighting for his daughter's life.

"More than grief, there's the paralyzing fear for my daughter's future. I feel she should get a second chance,"
    he said.

In an exclusive interview Tuesday with The Morning Call, David Silvonek said he believes his daughter will eventually be acquitted of the charges against her. He called the notion that she plotted her mother's murder "ridiculous," and pinned the killing on Caleb Barnes, the 21-year-old soldier she was dating.

"It's a horror story for me," he said. "I love my daughter unconditionally. She was led astray by a predator."

But Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin said Jamie Silvonek belongs in adult court. He said evidence shows that she planned to kill both her parents and then run away with Barnes.

Martin said police talked to another juvenile who heard Jamie Silvonek talking on the phone to Barnes about killing her parents. She talked about collecting their life insurance and wondered who would get custody of her when her parents were dead, court records say.

Police say Barnes admitted stabbing Cheryl Silvonek to death on March 15, shortly after she ordered them to end their relationship. Initially charged as a juvenile with helping Barnes clean up the crime scene and bury her mother's body, Jamie Silvonek was later charged as an adult with homicide after detectives discovered text messages between the pair that allegedly show that she planned the slaying.

In one text police claim she sent to Barnes, the eighth-grader wrote: "I want her gone."

She is being held without bail in the Lehigh County Jail. She's not in solitary confinement, but is in a cell block with only a few other inmates and is under constant supervision, her father said. He speaks to her on the phone daily and visits her several times a week.

Although his daughter is permitted to keep up with her school work behind bars, she's not getting the intensive therapy her father feels she needs. David Silvonek said he fears his daughter may suffer permanent emotional damage if she stays in an adult prison.

"She needs counseling. She witnessed the murder of my wife. It's tragic," he said.

David and Cheryl Silvonek met at a medical center in Jim Thorpe, where she was a receptionist.

"When I walked in, she was sitting there. Her eyes lit up, and mine lit up."
    Ff
    Later, family members who went to the same doctor's office would tell him that a pretty girl who worked there was asking about him.

They married and moved to the Lehigh Valley. He worked as a pharmacist, and she got a job at Lehigh Valley Hospital. They had a son, who is now studying pharmacy at Duquesne University, and their daughter.

For the first 12 years of her life, Jamie Silvonek was a tomboy, her father said. Hunting, fishing, motorcycles. She loved everything her dad did.

Jamie was an above-average student at Orefield Middle School, her father said, and was well liked by her teachers. Sitting with his daughter's attorney, John Waldron, David Silvonek showed off a note he recently got from one of her teachers.

"Jamie was one of my favorite students. Please let her know I asked about her and keep her in my prayers," it read.

Jamie Silvonek loves animals, including her cats Cleo and Blaze, and wants to be a veterinarian, her dad said. She spent weekends tagging along with her dad on fishing or hunting trips ? although she couldn't bring herself to shoot any deer.

"I like the outdoors, and when Jamie really took a liking to it, I was in heaven," he said.

Things changed suddenly late last year, David Silvonek said. His normally friendly and gregarious daughter became secretive and withdrew from friends and family.

David Silvonek recalled a day at the end of last deer-hunting season, when he found his daughter out of her bed at 4 a.m., text-messaging someone.

"It was a school night, and someone was talking to her at that hour. I didn't think much about it. She just said she couldn't sleep."

Jamie Silvonek's maternal grandmother, Margaret Lynn, said she also noticed an abrupt change in her granddaughter. Lynn went to most of her granddaughter's school events and spent the night at least once a week at the Silvonek home.

She said she and Jamie Silvonek slept in the same room, and their late night giggle-and-gossip sessions would often end with Cheryl Silvonek scolding them to go to sleep.

"That stopped, because she was always on the phone or computer at night. She wouldn't spend time with me like she used to, and I missed it," Lynn said.

David Silvonek had no idea Barnes existed. Police say Barnes, who was 20 at the time of the killing and on leave from Fort Meade in Maryland, met Jamie Silvonek in October at a concert in Philadelphia.

Cheryl Silvonek found out about the relationship about a week before she was killed, police say, and was trying to end it without telling her husband. David Silvonek said that didn't surprise him.

"Cheryl was trying to protect me, and protect Jamie. She was the rock of our marriage. She did what any mother would do," he said.

David Silvonek said the police and prosecutors who investigated his wife's slaying were "very professional," but he believes they're mistaken about his daughter's involvement. He said the media accounts of the killing, full of salacious details gleaned from police reports and phone records, have caused the family even more pain.

"She's been portrayed in the newspaper as somehow masterminding this. A 13-year-old telling a 20-year-old what to do. Bottom line is, all this negativity came into our lives when this 20-year-old met my daughter," he said.

Lynn said friends who know her granddaughter don't recognize the smirking temptress reporters are describing. Her granddaughter is quiet and shy, Lynn said, and won't smile in photos because she's embarrassed about her braces.

"She's just a child. A kind, good-hearted girl," she said.

Jamie Silvonek and Barnes will appear together at a court hearing next month to determine if there's enough evidence to send the case to trial in Lehigh County Court. Barnes' family has not responded to requests for an interview.

Waldron said he will petition the court to return Jamie Silvonek's case to juvenile court. David Silvonek said that's what his wife would want.

"She'd be heartbroken right now," he said. "She was the world's greatest mom. She put her children first in every aspect of her life."

I'm not surprised that dad is supporting his daughter. I don't think any of us could even imagine how he's feeling.

I think he is in a lot of denial about his daughter tho. I personally think Jamie was a ticking bomb.

The father just can't stand anymore heartache. I get that
    :(

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...today/33013910
    ALLENTOWN, Pa. -
    Criminal homicide charges against Jamie Silvonek and Caleb Barnes have been held for trial following testimony at a preliminary hearing Thursday.

Jamie Silvonek, 14, and Caleb Barnes, 21, appeared in Lehigh County Court at 9:30am.

Both will now face trial in the death of Cheryl Silvonek, Jamie's mother. The pair will also face charges of criminal conspiracy, fabricating or tampering with evidence and abuse of corpse

Five witnesses for the prosecution testified Thursday morning and early afternoon. During the hearing, the prosecution showed photos of Cheryl Silvonek's body in the shallow grave where the body was found in South Whitehall Township on March 15. Jamie Silvonek cried when she saw photos of her mother's body.

Surveillance video of a parking garage at the Hilton in Scranton from the night of Saturday, March 14th was shown. It depicted Cheryl Silvonek waiting in her vehicle. It also shows Jamie Silvonek and Barnes walking together. Court paperwork says the two were at a concert.

Another piece of surveillance video shows the pair walking in the parking lot of Chris' Diner in Upper Macungie.

A third surveillance video shows the pair walking, arm-in-arm, at the Walmart in Lower Macungie. In the video, the pair pick up Clorox wipes, a gallon of bleach, flashlight, box knife, leather gloves and a metal file.

Among those testifying was Silvonek's former best friend, an 8th grade student. She testified Jamie told her about Caleb sleeping over in the family's basement the weekend before the murder. The friend says Jamie admitted that she and Caleb had sex and were found by Jamie's mother. Her mother, the friend testified, kicked Caleb out of house.

Jamie was very upset with her mother, her friend testified, and she asked her friend "what if my parents were killed"? Her friend also says Jamie called Caleb on speaker phone and brought up killing her parents numerous times. Caleb, the friend says, tried to dissuade Jamie. He said they couldn't be together even if her parents were dead.

Also testifying Thursday, a neighbor of the Silvonek's Upper Macungie neighborhood. She said she awoke Saturday night to a horn honking from the Silvonek's driveway. At first she didn't get up from her bed.

The second time she heard it, she said she looked out the window and saw a car in the driveway with its lights on. She thought someone had locked themselves out of the house.

Shortly after that, she heard a loud clanking sound coming from the Silvonek's garage. She thought something crashed in the garage. She saw Jamie Silvonek walk into the garage. She also saw the car still had its lights on, the interior light was on and the driver-side door was open. She was not able to see anything in the car.

Detectives who worked on this case also testified at the hearing. One discussed Jamie Silvonek's interview. Jamie's grandmother sat with her for part of the interview, until she learned the deceased victim in the case was her daughter, Cheryl.

When the grandmother left the interrogation room, investigators say they told Jamie that her grandfather could enter the room but she said no. At this time, Jamie admitted to Caleb killing her mother.

During Caleb's questioning, investigators testified, he first denied going to the concert the night before. When investigators confronted him, saying Jamie told them about the concert, he became angry. He told the detective that they had driven home from the concert and Cheryl Silvonek went into the house. He and Jamie began having sex in the car until Cheryl Silvonek came back outside and confronted them. She was yelling at Jamie and Caleb said he stepped in to defend her.

Caleb told investigators he stabbed Cheryl Silvonek in the throat when he could no longer fight her off.

The hearing wrapped up shortly before 2:00pm with all charges being held over for court. The two will be back in court at some point for a formal arraignment, but a date has not been announced.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehi..._mother_a.html

'Just take my daughter,' mother allegedly tells man who killed her

Jamie Silvonek watched her mother beg for life as her boyfriend strangled her, according to testimony from a Lehigh County detective Thursday.

Silvonek, 14, at first denied she knew what happened to her mother, Cheryl Silvonek, who was found dead March 15 in South Whitehall Township, according to Det. Richard Heffelfinger.

Update: Best friend testifies girl planned killing with boyfriend a week before stabbing

He testified Thursday at the preliminary hearings for Silvonek and Barnes in Lehigh County Court.

Jamie Silvonek and Caleb Barnes appear in court on May 14, 2015
    Jamie Silvonek, 14, and Caleb Barnes, 21, were in court May 14, 2015, for preliminary hearings on charges they plotted and then killed the teen’s mother, Cheryl Silvonek, in Upper Macungie Township after the mother interfered in the relationship. Barnes is accused of stabbing Cheryl Silvonek on March 15, 2015, as the three sat in a car outside the Silvonek residence. Barnes and Jamie Silvonek then tried to dispose of the body by burying it, authorities say.
    Jamie Silvonek allegedly told Heffelfinger that Barnes advanced forward and started choking her mother.

"Just take my daughter. If you want her, just take her," Cheryl Silvonek said, according to Heffelfinger's recollection of the interview with Jamie Silvonek.

Police have said the murder was prompted by Cheryl Silvonek's efforts to break up the couple.

Jamie Silvonek told police there was a "negotiation period" where Barnes and her mother stopped struggling, but then Caleb stabbed her in the throat.

An autopsy revealed three gaping wounds to Cheryl Silvonek's throat, Heffelfinger testified.

Police have charged Barnes and Jamie Silvonek with conspiring together to murder Cheryl Silvonek. They're charged with abuse of a corpse after burying her in a shallow grave.

Heffelfinger said of Jamie Silvonek's interview, "Everything is put on Caleb at this point."

Each defendant sat at a different table during Thursday's preliminary hearings. Barnes wore a blue prison jumpsuit and a wide Mohawk haircut.

Jamie Silvonek -- she is charged as an adult -- was red-faced and chewing her lip as she was led into court wearing a tan jumpsuit.

Barnes sat up straight, watched the testimony, looked at exhibits, talked to his attorney and took notes.

Silvonek teared up and sat hunched forward with her hair over her face, sometimes watching the testimony.

She couldn't look at the photo of her mother's grave.

The testimony continues Thursday in Lehigh County.

So she's still denying any involvement & he's claiming self-defence?
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-22-2015 at 10:03 AM.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehi...or_teen_a.html

It's going to be a while before a judge will determine whether or not an Upper Macungie Township girl accused of plotting to kill her mother with her older boyfriend, and then helping dispose of the body, should be tried as a juvenile.

Jamie Silvonek, 14, has been charged as an adult in the murder of her mother, Cheryl Silvonek. Defense attorney John Waldron is pushing for the girl to be tried as a juvenile.

RELATED: Attorney wants Jamie Silvonek tried as a juvenile

Caleb Barnes, 21, Silvonek's boyfriend at the time, is accused of stabbing Cheryl Silvonek in the neck in her car as it was parked in the driveway of the family's Randi Lane home in Upper Macungie.

Silvonek and Barnes are each charged with homicide, conspiracy, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

Attorneys met Thursday with Lehigh County Judge Maria Dantos in chambers to discuss a timetable for Silvonek's decertification hearing.

Jamie Silvonek, 14, and Caleb Barnes, 21, were in court May 14, 2015, for preliminary hearings on charges they plotted and then killed the teen’s mother, Cheryl Silvonek, in Upper Macungie Township after the mother interfered in the relationship. Barnes is accused of stabbing Cheryl Silvonek on March 15, 2015, as the three sat in a car outside the Silvonek residence. Barnes and Jamie Silvonek then tried to dispose of the body by burying it, authorities say.

Their next meeting is scheduled for Aug. 25. Senior Deputy District Attorney Jeff Dimmig said it's not likely the decertification hearing will happen by then, but it could possibly happen by October.

Dimmig said he has not received the defense's report from Frank Dattilio, a clinical and forensic psychologist, on Silvonek. Prosecutors would need their own expert to interview Silvonek and craft their own report.

In Barnes' case, a discovery hearing is scheduled for Aug. 5, but Dimmig said that, too, may also be pushed back.

At the pair's*preliminary hearing last month, prosecutors said Jamie Silvonek's mother begged for her life and asked her for help as Barnes attacked her, then killed her.

RELATED: Teen girl texted boyfriend that her mom 'needs to go'

During the attack, police said Cheryl Silvonek told Barnes, "Just take my daughter. If you want her, just take her."

Waldron said at the time of the crime, Silvonek had just turned 14 and was in eighth grade. If she would be adjudicated as a juvenile, she would have seven years of rehabilitation in a juvenile facility, Waldron said.

Jamie Silvonek was initially held in a juvenile facility in Berks County, but once she was charged with homicide she was moved to county jail. Waldron had sought to have her moved back to the juvenile facility while her case moved through the adult system, but*Judge Maria Dantos denied the request after District Attorney Jim Martin opposed the move.

Last month, Martin revealed he would not seek the death penalty for Barnes, saying there were no aggravating factors in the case.

I will never get my head around juveniles being held in adult facilities.

Thread Information