Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Caleb Barnes (20) killed Cheryl Silvonek (54), the mother of his girlfriend Jamie (14), because she didn't approve of their relationship

Can somebody explain to my very simple mom brain what this means? "open-minded secular humanist" and why does a 14-year-old (many who still pick their noses and eat it) know what it means? She seems way ahead of her years. My daughter just recently stopped writing notes to boys asking them to circle yes or no if they like her. LMAO, just kidding of course, but that was not too long ago.

Thankfully, she didn't allow anybody to "block her effervescent light."

https://twitter.com/jamiesilvonek/st...99535134035968

She is psycho, but will say, yes, teen-aged girls are demons. It never ends, every day is some new drama, something else I did that is so horrible, and how they hate everybody and anybody, cept the few she loves that day and are her BFFs that day. My boys are dreams compared to my daughter, with regard to mood, every day life, etc.

A third surveillance video shows the pair walking, arm-in-arm, at the Walmart in Lower Macungie. In the video, the pair pick up Clorox wipes, a gallon of bleach, flashlight, box knife, leather gloves and a metal file.
    If I was a cashier at Walmart and someone came through my line with all that stuff, I would side eye the hell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMomology View Post
    Can somebody explain to my very simple mom brain what this means? "open-minded secular humanist" and why does a 14-year-old (many who still pick their noses and eat it) know what it means? She seems way ahead of her years. My daughter just recently stopped writing notes to boys asking them to circle yes or no if they like her. LMAO, just kidding of course, but that was not too long ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

14yr old girls are often mature beyond their years. It depends on where their interests lie and what they educate themselves on.

By the time I was 14 I had already explored the realm of Wiccans and pagans, decided I was athiest, knew I related more towards liberal politics, and was sexually active. I wasn't picking my nose and eating it.

Oh, and I had a job.

And my mom tried to keep me sheltered. Independent minds will find ways to get what they're looking for, and saturday morning cartoons didn't cut it at 14. Generally I didn't hate anyone and everything unless that person was telling me I was "just a dumb kid" and discredited everything I talked about because of my age. People often react negatively to negativity.
    Last edited by Shins; 08-17-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Well then. Jail has done wonders for their appearance.

At the pair's preliminary hearing last month, prosecutors said Jamie Silvonek's mother begged for her life and asked her for help as Barnes attacked her, then killed her.

During the attack, police said Cheryl Silvonek told Barnes, "Just take my daughter. If you want her, just take her.
    \
    http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehi...or_teen_a.html

Last edited by bermstalker; 09-06-2015 at 02:25 AM.

Bawling her eyes out in court while he smirks definitely makes her look more victim than co-conspirator.

But then I remember all those texts & conversations where she pushed for murder & he was the voice of reason saying "No".

Edit don't think we had this "before" shot & I'm too lazy to go back 4 pages to check. So, for comparison purposes -

Last edited by blighted star; 09-06-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Missed this

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-84279923/

Laurie Mason Schroeder, Of The Morning Call
    7:50 pm, August 25, 2015
    TODAY'S KEY ISSUES IN PRETRIAL HEARING

Motion for severance.

Jamie Silvonek, 14, and Caleb Barnes, 21, want separate trials. He says she's implicated him in the killing of her mother, Cheryl Silvonek, 54, of Upper Macungie Township. Her lawyer says it's improper to try a juvenile alongside a minor.

Change of venue.

Silvonek and Barnes both say they can't get a fair trial in Lehigh County due to a "barrage" of "sensational" news coverage. Silvonek's attorney says stories that reference text messages that police say show she plotted her parents' killing are particularly troublesome. Barnes' lawyer points to news accounts that reference Barnes' military status and accusations he had sex with a minor.

Motion to suppress statements.

Barnes says he spent five hours in a South Whitehall police interview room without food, water or a bathroom break, and therefore did not understand what he was doing when he waived his right to remain silent. Silvonek's attorney says the teen gave statements to police without a guardian present.

A long article. This is just a snippet.
    http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...102-story.html
    When he first looked at police reports implicating 14-year-old Jamie Silvonek in her mother's homicide, Dr. Steven Berkowitz feared that the Upper Macungie teen was an "extremely rare female psychopath."

Berkowitz, a psychiatrist with ties to the University of Pennsylvania and Yale University, told a judge Monday that he changed his mind after examining the teen, finding instead that she suffers from a "nonverbal learning disability" that makes her prone to impulsive decisions.

"Her judgment is greatly impaired," Berkowitz testified.

Berkowitz also told Lehigh County Judge Maria L. Dantos that Silvonek's brain is not fully developed, and that she admittedly "lost herself" in her relationship with her 20-year-old soldier boyfriend and co-defendant, Caleb Barnes.

"Jamie is a unique case," Berkowitz said. "Her intelligence is really quite superior. That doesn't mean she doesn't have an impairment."

The doctor was the final defense witness at a hearing to determine if Silvonek should remain charged as an adult with plotting her mother's death, or have her case transferred to juvenile court. A ruling in the teen's favor could shave decades off Silvonek's sentence if she's convicted.

Dantos heard evidence on the motion over two days and is now mulling her decision. The judge will likely hand down a written opinion, attorneys said, before Silvonek's next scheduled court appearance on Dec. 18.
    But wait....it gets better

John O'Brien, a psychiatrist hired by the prosecution, told the judge Silvonek exhibits signs of an emerging personality disorder, although at 14, she's too young to be diagnosed.

O'Brien noted that Silvonek lied to Barnes about her age and took steps to hide his true age from her mother. The doctor described Silvonek turning on the tears whenever adults challenged her. If that didn't work, she used flattery, he said.

"She demonstrates an ability to use her emotional display in a manner that might benefit her," O'Brien said. "She attempts to present herself as a victimized individual."

O'Brien said he interviewed numerous people while evaluating Silvonek, including her teachers at Orefield Middle School.

One teacher described Silvonek as "a sociopath who thinks societal values and norms did not apply to her," O'Brien said, reading from his report.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Dimmig called another Orefield teacher to the stand. Diane Haberstroh, a seventh-grade science teacher who supervised Silvonek and four other students chosen to compete in a project sponsored by area manufacturing firms, said she was taken aback by Silvonek's ease in talking to adults.

Haberstroh said Silvonek did very little work on the project, but when it was time to present the final product to business leaders, Silvonek flitted from booth to booth, telling each representative that their company was her favorite.

"It was almost like she was a chameleon. She was changing faces with each person she was talking to," Haberstroh said.

Dimmig showed the judge some of the 6,000 messages Silvonek and Barnes exchanged during their relationship, highlighting several entries.

"Don't be afraid of the sides of you that are dark, terrifying," read one text Silvonek wrote.

"People don't understand how cold and manipulative I can be. I hide it so well, no one expects," read another.

Dantos could rule on the motion as early as Monday, when a final defense witness is scheduled to take the stand. In making her decision, the judge must weigh whether Silvonek is amenable to treatment in the juvenile system, and if she can be rehabilitated.

She must also consider the impact of the crime on the victims and the community. Silvonek's attorney, John Waldron, said Silvonek's age, immaturity and clean record make her a good candidate for juvenile court.

Silvonek has been held without bail at the county jail since her arrest. In court Thursday, corrections officer Emily Cramer testified that Silvonek tried to get another inmate last month to smuggle a letter to Barnes, who is being held in the male wing of the jail.

Cramer said the inmate turned over the letter to her, saying she felt "uncomfortable" with Silvonek's request. The teen had instructed the 34-year-old woman to rewrite the note in her own handwriting and get a family member to mail it to Barnes.

In the letter, which was briefly shown in court, Silvonek told Barnes that she still loves him and asked him to take full blame for the killing so that she can be tried as a juvenile.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...029-story.html

Charming!
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Interesting. She is quite the sociopath.

That chick is only 14? Holy shit.

I'm surprised they let him maintain that haircut.

Her face looks like she has had or might have a stroke.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A 14-year-old Pennsylvania girl accused of plotting with her soldier boyfriend by text message to kill her mother will be tried as an adult.

A judge in Lehigh County announced the decision at a Thursday afternoon hearing in Jamie Silvonek's case.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...-as-adult.html

The judge explained his reasoning for the adult court decision -

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-85103157/

Jamie Silvonek was 'the genesis of the idea' to kill her mother, judge says

LAURIE MASON SCHROEDER, GENE ORDWAY

Adult court for Jamie Silvonek, separate trials for her and Caleb Barnes

Silvonek and Barnes preliminary hearing
    Manuel Gamiz Jr., Of The Morning Call
    11:22 am, November 21, 2015

Jamie Silvonek demonstrated criminal sophistication in plotting and planning to kill her mother and then prodding her older boyfriend to commit the "vicious and monstrous crime," a Lehigh County judge wrote in a 37-page opinion outlining why the 14-year-old girl should be treated as an adult.

The Upper Macungie teen "was the genesis of the idea and provided the opportunity" to kill Cheryl Silvonek on March 15 in the driveway of their suburban home on Randi Lane, Lehigh County Judge Maria L. Dantos wrote in the opinion filed Friday.

"But for the defendant, co-defendant Caleb Barnes never would have killed the victim,"
    Dantos wrote.

Investigators say the eighth-grader was upset her mother did not approve of her relationship with Barnes, then a 20-year-old soldier based out of Fort Meade, Md.

Dantos on Thursday denied Jamie Silvonek's request to have her homicide case heard in juvenile court, which means Silvonek faces a potential sentence of 25 years to life if found guilty of first-degree murder.

A juvenile conviction would have meant she'd be free no later than her 21st birthday. Dantos wrote it was likely that Silvonek would be released long before the age of 21 because the treatment facilities are designed with a "shorter duration of treatment in mind."

"A period of approximately two and a half years is woefully inadequate to expect that the defendant would respond to treatment or rehabilitation after committing matricide
    ."

Defense attorneys for Silvonek and Barnes, who is now 21, are seeking separate trials, a move that prosecutors say they will not oppose. The two trials will possibly begin as early as February.

Jamie Silvonek is the youngest girl ever charged as an adult with homicide in Lehigh County. She and Barnes are being held without bail in the county jail while awaiting trial.

In ruling against decertification, Dantos said Silvonek "presented herself as an arrogant, superior high school student who even referred to herself as a woman," not a naive child manipulated by her older boyfriend, as her attorney had argued.

"Not only did the defendant call herself a woman, but she portrayed herself as a woman as well," the judge wrote, citing evidence that Silvonek encouraged the sexual relationship with Barnes and later attempted to cover it up by filing a sexual abuse complaint.

The judge also wrote that the court tediously reviewed more than 6,000 text messages, finding many to be "sexually tawdry and crude."

Dantos said Silvonek's age was the only reason to even consider sending the case to juvenile court. However, the judge said, her age is "overwhelmingly outweighed" by the seriousness of the crime and Silvonek's criminal sophistication.

"This was not a spur-of-the-moment crime without clearly defined roles and parts," Dantos wrote. "The defendant's intelligence and manipulation were essential to achieving the desired goal ? murder."

Two mental health experts testified during the hearing, giving vastly different opinions of the teen.

Psychologist Frank Dattilio, a defense witness, told the judge Silvonek is extremely intelligent, with an IQ bordering on the very superior range, but she lacks emotional maturity. He determined she would be amenable to treatment in a juvenile facility.

Dattilio found Silvonek had some anger problems, but it was childish behavior like being "bratty and mouthy with her parents."

Hired by the prosecution, psychiatrist John O'Brien also found her to be highly intelligent, but "a manipulative young woman who was not a fearful or emotionally overpowered passive participant in the pre-planned, premeditated murder of her mother."

In a text message to Barnes two months before the killing, Silvonek allegedly wrote, "I have dark sides as well, people underestimate how cold, iniquitous, meticulous and calculating I can be. I hide parts of me so well. No one suspects it."

Also, while in the county jail, Silvonek has received three misconduct infractions, twice for trying to pass notes. Authorities said one of the notes was intended for Barnes, asking him for help at her decertification hearing.

"If our positions were reversed, and you were the one trying to be decertified, I would be on the stand at that hearing, taking the fall for you," she wrote.

O'Brien found Silvonek to be a good liar and able to read situations and people and use her emotions, like crying on cue, to her benefit. He determined Silvonek's behavior would make it difficult to assess any progress she would make in juvenile treatment.

Dantos agreed with O'Brien's findings, saying Silvonek is a threat to the safety of the public.

"The defendant participated in the premeditated killing of her own mother, who deeply loved her and cared for her in every way possible," Dantos wrote. "It is conceivable that a person who is capable of killing her own mother potentially could kill anyone."

Cheryl Silvonek, 54, was killed in the early morning hours of March 15 as she sat with her daughter and Barnes in a sport utility vehicle in the driveway of the Silvonek family's home after returning from a concert in Scranton, police said.

Police say Cheryl Silvonek had offered to take them to the concert if Barnes promised to end his relationship with her daughter. About a week before the killing, Cheryl Silvonek found out how old he was, police say.

Cheryl Silvonek was beaten, choked and stabbed at least five times during a 20-minute attack that Dantos said "amounted to torture." Investigators found wounds on her hands and arms that show she fought for her life, court records say.

During questioning, Silvonek gave three versions of what happened, never saying she planned or participated in the killing of her mother. Barnes, on the other hand, "threw himself on the sword," as one investigator described an interview with him, saying Silvonek had nothing to do with the killing.

The investigation led to several text messages in which Silvonek urged Barnes to kill her mother, including one in which she coldly wrote, "I want her gone."

She is smart as fuck. At 14, I wouldn't have even heard the word iniquitous let alone know how to use it in a sentence. Shit, I still had to look it up.
    in?iq?ui?tous
    iˈnikwidəs/
    adjective
    grossly unfair and morally wrong.

Lol, I did the same thing. She forgot to add "bombastic"

Just realised there's a 37 page pdf file of his explanation - 37 pages just on this one ruling. I pity the court reporter for the trial

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-85102897/

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Lol, I did the same thing. She forgot to add "bombastic"

Just realised there's a 37 page pdf file of his explanation - 37 pages just on this one ruling. I pity the court reporter for the trial

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/a.../p2p-85102897/

Holy fuck. This 14 year old girl totally roped this guy in and then threw him under the bus right away. She wanted her mommy dead. Probably her daddy too.

8 This Court notes that Defendant Silvonek is in the ?very superior range of
    intelligence? and had a gifted individualized education plan through the Parkland School
    District beginning in 2011. (OPTM C. Ex. (OPTM C. Ex. (D. Ex. Pursuant to
    testing performed by Dr. Dattilio, Defendant Silvonek has a verbal comprehensive index of
    142, and a full scale IQ of 129. (
    OPTM C. EX. (D. EX. 2). According to the Parkland
    School District records of 2010, Defendant Silvonek obtained a verbal IQ of 153 and as
    performance IQ of 120, yielding a full scale IQ of 142.
    (OPTM C. EX. (0171M C. Ex.
    (D. Ex. 2).

Dr. Dattilio found the Defendant to be an extremely intelligent individual:

She obtained a verbal comprehensive index of 142,

placing her in the very superior range of intelligence.

In slight contrast, she produced a perceptual

reasoning index of 115 (high average range), a working

memory index of 100 (high average range) and a

processing speed of index of 118 {high average range).

Her full scale IQ score is 129, which places her at the

top end of the superior range, right on the crest of the
    very superior range.
    Last edited by bermstalker; 11-21-2015 at 12:29 AM.

It's amazing it didn't occur to her that they'd retrieve the texts - she probably would've been tried as a juvenile if not for that evidence.

She really has thrown my usual position completely upside down. In every other case of "young teen girl/older boyfriend murders parents" I've argued the girl's were manipulated & taken advantage of. I'm always against trying teens & preteens as adults - & I still am, but the maximum juvenile sentence available is not sufficient for this kid, it's really not.

Here's a note she wrote. It's listed in the court ruling

Defendant as a ?chameleon? who would change according to whom she was
    speaking and interacting, so as to appear interested. Ms. Haberstroh felt that the
    Defendant was very good at reading people and utilizing social cues. In addition,
    the Defendant texted the Co?Defendant on January 25, 2015 in which she texted
    the following:

You are the complete opposite, Caleb. I know you feel
    that your need to control yourself suggests there is
    something wrong with you, but that is not your case.
    I?m fucked up as well, even more so than you are. My
    mind is more fucked up than you could ever know.
    You are you, Caleb. You are different. You possess
    Character traits that most people don?t. But that?s
    what makes you so appealing. You have a different
    purpose than most people. Your personality is like
    mine in the sense it is too much for some people to
    handle. For me, people can?t handle me. I?m always
    too much, too smart, too kind, too strong willed, too
    opinionated, too determined, too ambitious. It drives
    people away. Therefore, I used to sharpen my edges
    and smooth the rough parts of myself that were too
    much for others in hopes of being more loveable. But
    in the process of doing so, I realized I was ridding
    myself of the things that made me who I am. Don?t
    change, Caleb. Don?t be afraid of the sides of you
    that are dark or terrifying. I know you feel obligated
    to hide them, but I don?t want you to do that with me.
    I get it. I have dark sides as well, people
    underestimate how cold, iniquitous, meticulous and
    calculating I can be. I hide parts of me so well, no one
    suspects it. The people that try to break down my
    walls always fail. I love every part of you that could
    ever exist, Caleb. I don?t care what you feel you?re
    capable of.

I'm curious about the boyfriend. Sometimes it's not always a girl manipulating a boy, sometimes both people are fucking nuts. And the way he's smirking in court leads me to believe that besides being grossed out by her age--not every psycho murderer is into being a pedophile--he has some seriously warped priorities as well.

I'm curious about the boyfriend. Sometimes it's not always a girl manipulating a boy, sometimes both people are fucking nuts. And the way he's smirking in court leads me to believe that besides being grossed out by her age--not every psycho murderer is into being a pedophile--he has some seriously warped priorities as well.
    I agree.
    How can a person just go from normal life- to dating a girl that openly talks about killing her parents- to actually stabbing the girl's mother in the neck multiple times? Just for the nookie!

What gets me is the fact that they had sex in the car while mother was around, she caught them and STILL continued to drive them all over the place. She waited in the car while they ate dinner at the restaurant. That makes me assume that Jamie ran the show with her parents. What she wanted, she got. I def. think she was the mastermind in this whole murder. She just found some stupid sap to do the deed.

It sounds like Jamie actually took responsibility for the murder. From what I read, she didn't even try to make excuses for her actions.

Here's more about her statements in court
    http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...212-story.html

Jamie is serving 35 years

Caleb's trial just started. No shocker- he's blaming Jamie for everything. He even says Jamie stabbed her own mom. Caleb said all he did was help her clean up the crime scene and hide mom's body.
    Jamie is expected to take the stand this week to testify against him.
    http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...809-story.html

Too bad it isn't televised. It would be interesting to see & hear to what extent his lawyer goes for innocence and reasoning for his client.

The former friend, now 15 and heading to 10th grade, testified she was in the basement of the Silvonek house on a sectional couch with Jamie Silvonek on March 7, 2015, and heard at least two conversations in which Silvonek and Barnes discussed the plot. The girl testified Barnes refused at first, but as they continued talking, "he became more open to the idea." By the end of the conversation, Barnes said, "he already had the knives picked out."

The next day, and one more time that week, Silvonek told her friend the conversation with Barnes was a joke. But by then, the friend testified, she was starting to lose trust in her friend because she was turning on people and never seemed to face consequences for her actions.
    Jurors also watched Barnes' taped interview with investigators and heard him — exhausted and disheveled — detail the previous night when he said he stabbed Cheryl Silvonek.

Forensic pathologist Barbara Bollinger testified Cheryl Silvonek's hands and wrists were covered in defensive injuries, as if she were trying to ward off an assailant.

Both of Cheryl Silvonek's wrists were ringed with bruises, consistent with them being gripped tightly before she died, Bollinger told the jury.

Along with five stab wounds, including two fatal gashes that pierced her carotid artery and windpipe, Cheryl Silvonek's face and neck bore bruises from being hit, and eye hemorrhages consistent with being strangled, the doctor said.
    In the taped interview with Barnes, he told detectives that he and Jamie Silvonek had fallen asleep in the car on the way home from the concert. When they arrived at the Silvonek home, Barnes said, Cheryl Silvonek told her daughter to wake up and tell him it was time to drive home.

After Cheryl Silvonek left the car and went inside, Barnes and her daughter woke up and had sex in the car, Barnes told detectives. Cheryl Silvonek then came back out to the car to see where her daughter was and caught the couple. She began attacking her daughter, Barnes said, and "wouldn't stop hitting Jamie."

Saying Cheryl Silvonek was in a sort of rage, Barnes said he got out of the car and went around to the driver side door and tried to pull her off her daughter. Cheryl Silvonek hit Barnes, he said, and he began stabbing her.

"She keeps coming at you and that's when you stabbed her in the throat?" Lehigh County detective Richard Heffelfinger asked Barnes.

"Correct," Barnes replied, slumped over his chair, shirtless and looking exasperated.

After he "did it," Jamie Silvonek "just sat there," he said.

Barnes' mother sobbed silently and wiped tears as she watched the taped interview. He turned around and grinned at her at one point of the afternoon.
    http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...810-story.html

Thread Information