Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Martin van Breda, 54, his wife Teresa, 55, and son Rudi, 22, killed in axe attack.

Martin van Breda, 54, his wife Teresa, 55, and son Rudi, 22, killed in axe attack.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/th...28-130iec.html

This one is fishy as shit. I'm pretty sure the surviving son, Henri, 20, did it. I'm pulling bits of two articles into this as there is a 911 call. He walked away with a few scratches. His 16 year old sister, Marli, survived the attack, but she may be too brain damaged to help the police. They had a memorial service for them. The surviving son was there.

Three members of former Perth family killed in axe attack in South Africa

Three members of a family who used to live in Perth have reportedly been murdered with an axe at their luxury South African home.

Martin van Breda, 54, his wife Teresa, 55, and son Rudi, 22, were found dead at their home on Wednesday at De Zalze Winelands Golf Estate, an exclusive golf resort in Stellenbosch, about 50 kilometres east of Cape Town, it has been reported.

Daughter Marli, 16, is in a critical condition, while another son, Henri, 20, was slightly injured.

"What I can say is they were not shot - the patients were axed. The daughter was rushed to hospital with severe head trauma and a severed jugular," emergency medical services spokesman Robert Daniels said.

"The other son had minor bruises on his arms. He was treated at the scene."
    And here is something from the second article.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/va...04-1353g4.html

Van Breda family murder: son made bizarre emergency call

The surviving son of the Van Breda family who were axed to death in South Africa has told police that a burglar attacked him and his family in their house.

Henri van Breda, 20, told detectives he was attacked last and was knocked unconscious, next to his mother and sister Marli, 16, who also survived the attack and remains in a stable condition with severe head injuries, including possible brain damage.

According to South African news agency Netwerk 24, Henri told police his brother Rudi, 22, was attacked first before the burglar turned on their father Martin, mother Teresa and Marli at the family home in the wine town of Stellenbosch, 50km from Cape Town, in the early hours of last Tuesday morning.

Henri, who suffered a bruise to his head and scratches during the ordeal, is currently staying with an uncle and undergoing counselling in nearby Stellenbosch and may not attend a memorial service for his family on Thursday.

It has been reported he had scans for cysts on the brain at an Australian hospital last year.

An triple-0 call he made after the attack has also surfaced, in which he appears to snigger when telling the operator members of his family were "bleeding from the head".

Operator: "OK what kind of injuries is there?"

Henri: "Um, my, my, my family ... and me were attacked... by a guy with an axe."

Operator: "With an axe? An unconscious yeah?"

Henri: "Yes and bleeding from the head."

Detectives on the case have remained tight-lipped and have made no arrests, despite security cameras all over the estate.

Listen to ENCA's audio report of the bizarre call here

A witness at the golf resort said Henri was seen being taken away from the scene by police for questioning.

"Henri could not have been seriously injured because he could walk. I saw this myself," Eben Potgieter, chairman of De Zalze Winelands Golf Estate's home owners' association, told The Times.

"Henri is being treated as a witness. He had scratches and cuts."

The Van Breda family were originally from South Africa before settling in Perth about eight years ago, and then moving to Brisbane before returning to South Africa.

Mr van Breda was managing director of the Australian franchise of Engel & V?lkers, an international company that sells and rents "premium residential property, commercial real estate and yachts", according to its website.

Karen Sadler, whose daughter went to Presbyterian Ladies College with Marli for about seven years, described the van Breda family as "a beautiful, gorgeous family and very close".

A private memorial for the family was held in Perth last Friday.
    Last edited by PeaceBeWithMe; 02-05-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Yeah, I'm with you, I think the son did it too. And maybe I watch too much Grey's Anatomy, but it's possible that the cysts on his brain had something to do with him snapping?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you, I think the son did it too. And maybe I watch too much Grey's Anatomy, but it's possible that the cysts on his brain had something to do with him snapping?!?!
    It's certainly possible, however my brother had the same condition at 19 and I don't remember him going crazy.

Touche, damn you McDreamy and your brain saving surgeries.

This just reminds me of the movie "You're Next" where the son tries to kill everyone for the money or something like that...

Wait! What?

THERE'S A MURDERPEDIA?

The audio of the 911 call is weird....he laughs at the end after he says his family was bleeding from the head. Gave me chills to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-family.html

Seems the police are pretty positive the youngest son did this and all of his wounds were self-inflicted.

They're interviewing Marli. She's still mending, but apparently can answer questions with "eye blinks" that are piecing together all the gaps.

Not to even mention that we waited almost four hours before calling the police.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Wait! What?

THERE'S A MURDERPEDIA?

You didn't know there was a murderpedia?! lol oh man, I have wasted whole days at work on there

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-family.html

Seems the police are pretty positive the youngest son did this and all of his wounds were self-inflicted.

They're interviewing Marli. She's still mending, but apparently can answer questions with "eye blinks" that are piecing together all the gaps.

Not to even mention that we waited almost four hours before calling the police.
    He waited FOUR HOURS until he called for help?!?!? Yeah, he definitely did it. I can't believe the sister hung on that long and managed to survive with the injuries she had. She's a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Whoa. Seriously? Did he really think he'd get away with it? Ugh. Poor girl.
    Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    He waited FOUR HOURS until he called for help?!?!? Yeah, he definitely did it. I can't believe the sister hung on that long and managed to survive with the injuries she had. She's a fighter.
    Ugh, I hope her brain injuries aren't too severe. What a dumbass the kid is

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Wait! What?

THERE'S A MURDERPEDIA?

Oh I love that website. It's so interesting.

Wait! What?

THERE'S A MURDERPEDIA?

Can't believe you have never stumbled on Murderpedia peace .... You've been missing out !!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rugs-time.html

Looks like the surviving son was using crystal meth at the time of the murders. They've managed to track down his dealer.

OK so I'm now gonna say, I definitely think he did it

Wait! What?

THERE'S A MURDERPEDIA?

Hunni, Murderpedia rules.

Yea, I'm sick like that.

Godspeed, Martin, Teresa and Rudi.

Fuck you asshole murderer Henri. Homicidal cysts my arse. Schizo from hell or just plain evil. JMO

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly-Jane View Post
    OK so I'm now gonna say, I definitely think he did it
    I thought we all already came to that conclusion on the first day lol

Well I'm catching up lol

http://www.news.com.au/world/axe-kil...-1227235605075

Axe killings teen may never speak again

(Feb. 23, 2015) A TEEN girl who survived a horror axe attack that killed her family may never be able to speak about what happened, or give police the vital clues they need to catch the killer.

Marli van Breda's head injury is so bad her doctors fear she may not be able to remember what happened the day her family were massacred a month ago.

The 16-year-old survived the attack in which her parents, Martin and Teresa, and her 22-year-old brother, Rudi, were killed, was struck on the head several times during the attack. Her injuries could cause permanent brain damage.

Without her statement police will have to rely on forensic and circumstantial evidence to catch the killer.

The family have strong connections with Australia after they moved to Perth about eight years ago and then relocated to Brisbane. They recently returned to live in Stellenbosch, near Cape Town in South Africa.

Marli's 20-year-old brother, Henri, was the only other survivor of the January 27 attack.

Sources told the Sunday Times no one had been allowed to visit Marli in hospital, including Henri.

"They fear she might go into shock, or will be traumatised further if she sees him," the source said.

The Sunday Times reported the three paramedics who treated Marli and declared Martin, Teresa and Rudi dead on the scene have not yet returned to work. They were severely traumatised by what they discovered in the house and are still receiving counselling, according to colleagues, who said the scene was one of the bloodiest they had ever seen.

Although Marli is awake and aware her communication with doctors is limited and her head and neck are still heavily bandaged.

"It is heartbreaking to see tears rolling down her cheeks," said a person close to her, who wouldn't be named.

However her condition is improving. She has been moved out of the ICU section of the hospital and this week she began moving both sides of her body.

That is a big relief to doctors who feared she could be paralysed.

But police are concerned that, mentally, she may not recover enough to give a detailed and credible account of the night of the attack.

This will mean forensic evidence will play a crucial role in the case. Various tests are under way, including those involving blood-spatter patterns and DNA.

These tests are likely to take several months due to backlogs at police forensic laboratories.

Meanwhile, Henri is keeping a low profile. He has not been seen in public since the memorial service for his parents and brother in Pretoria two weeks ago.

Family spokesman Ben Rootman said Henri was living with an uncle in Stellenbosch and was receiving counselling.

He said Henri was being "monitored," but wouldn't say why.

"Marli continues to improve day by day. Doctors confirmed that there is movement on both sides of her body," he said.

"She cannot talk yet, but she shows emotion and seems to recognise the faces of her family members on the pictures that have been put on her wall."

http://ewn.co.za/2015/03/08/Van-Bred...pursue-suspect

NPA has enough evidence to pursue suspect in van Breda murders

(March 8, 2015) CAPE TOWN -- The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has confirmed it's received the van Breda family axe murders docket.

Martin and Teresa van Breda along with their 22-year-old son Rudi were murdered in their De Zalze Golf Estate home in January.

Henri van Breda (20) and his 16-year-old sister Marli are the only ones who survived the attack.

Marli potentially holds the key to the investigation.

The NPA's Eric Ntabazalila says while his office has received the docket, he cannot confirm whether an arrest is imminent.

Rapport newspaper claims the dossier contains enough forensic and circumstantial evidence to pursue a suspect.

Police say detectives have made significant progress in the investigation, but no arrests have been made and the motive for the attack remains a mystery.

On Friday it was confirmed that lawyer Pieter Botha, who was part of British murder accused Shrien Dewani's legal team, is representing Henri.

Marli's guardians have confirmed to Die Burger newspaper the 16-year-old is aware her parents and brother have been killed.

It also mentioned that her wounds have almost healed.

Marli underwent emergency surgery for severe head wounds after the attack a month ago.

She has, however, not been able to make a formal police statement yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfricairp...i-yet-20150504

Marli van Breda hasn't seen brother Henri since murders
    2015-05-04 20:44

Marli van Breda. (Facebook)
    Multimedia * ? * User Galleries * ? * News in Pictures
    Send us your pictures *?* Send us your stories
    Related Links
    Marli spends a few hours with school friends
    Lawyer: Police not looking for Henri van Breda
    Police closely monitoring Henri van Breda - report
    Cape Town - Marli van Breda has yet to see her only surviving brother Henri after the axe attack in which her parents and other brother were murdered, Netwerk24 reported on Monday.

Her father Martin, 54, mother Teresa, 55, and 22-year-old brother Rudi died in the January attack at their home at the De Zalze golf estate in Stellenbosch. *

Marli's legal representative, Debbie Wybrow, would not say why the two siblings hadn't met.*

Although Marli has been back to the crime scene, she is said to be suffering from retrograde amnesia and cannot remember what happened.

No arrests have been made.

As part of her integration back into society, Marli, who attends the Somerset College in Somerset West, has been visiting her school to meet up with her friends.

According to the school?s principal, Meg Fargher, the visits have been recommended, her trustee, Advocate Louise Buikman, and Marli?s team of carers.

"Marli looks beautiful. She was excited to see her friends and they are again happy and relieved to see that she looks so good," Buikman told Netwerk24.

She expected to return to school full-time in the near future.

http://citizen.co.za/373136/van-bred...be-on-the-run/

Van Breda Son Said To Be On The Run

Although 16-year-old axe attack survivor Marli van Breda?s physical condition has ?improved dramatically?, her brother Henri, 20, has fallen off the radar and police are discreetly making enquiries as to his whereabouts.
    Siblings Marli and Henri are the only survivors of the horrific axe attack on their family at their Stellenbosch home in the Western Cape between January 25 and 26 this year. *Their father, Martin, mother, Teresa, and 22-year-old brother Rudi died in the attack.*So far, police have not made any arrests, but reports suggest they are monitoring Henri?s movements.

Henri escaped with light wounds, while Marli has had a long road to travel to recovery.
    According to a statement by family spokesperson Ben Rootman, she has been discharged from the rehabilitation care centre where she had been receiving treatment for the last few weeks.
    Meanwhile, sources close to the family have revealed Henri, who was supposed to be in Klerksdorp, slipped away to Welkom to stay with a family friend.

He has allegedly subsequently disappeared from this residence.
    ?The police last night were calling all family and friends to try and track him down,? said the source.
    Describing Marli?s injuries, Rootman said her ?skull was fractured and she sustained extensive brain trauma which necessitated neurosurgery. She was in a medically-induced coma for several days.?
    Rootman said it was a miracle she survived the attack and her physical recovery continued to astound those close to her.

?She is able to walk, communicates well and, surprisingly, given everything that has happened, has retained her sense of humour.?

It has been widely reported the estate on which the brutal attack took place told its residents there had been no security breach and some experts considered Henri?s wounds to be self-inflicted.

Rootman said the police were protecting Marli as no arrests had been made. Because she had retrograde amnesia as a result of the extensive trauma, she had not been able to make a statement.
    ?She cannot recall anything at all about the attack,? said Rootman.

Police would only say they had no comment and may submit a statement at a later stage.
    The surviving Van Breda siblings apparently stand to inherit an estate valued at about R200 million.
    ?The therapy Marli is currently receiving includes physiotherapy, speech and occupational therapy and psychological counselling,? said Rootman.

http://citizen.co.za/375917/am-van-breda/

Van Breda Docket Sent Back To Police
    Alex Mitchley
    May 5 2015
    A view of the Mediclinic where Marli van Breda was being treated in Cape Town(Photo by Gallo Images / Foto24 / Denvor de Wee).

The murder docket on the Van Breda family attack has been sent back to the police as the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has requested further investigation.
    The Van Breda family were brutally attacked in their home in the De Zalze Golf Estate, Stellenbosch, in the early hours of January 27.

Siblings Marli and Henri are the only survivors of the horrific axe attack. Their father, Martin, mother, Teresa, and 22-year-old brother, Rudi were murdered.

NPA Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed in March a docket on the murders had been received by the NPA for a decision on whether to prosecute. At the time Ntabazalila said while the content of the docket gives an indication of who to charge, it does not mean there is a suspect or suspects.

Yesterday, Ntabazalila told The Citizen the docket was sent back to police and the investigation was not complete. He added this was not unusual and dockets were often sent back for further investigation.
    The Citizen reported last week that Henri, who escaped the attack seemingly unscathed, had fallen off the radar, with police discreetly making enquiries as to his whereabouts.

A source close to the family revealed that Henri, who was supposed to be in Klerksdorp, slipped away to Welkom to stay with a family friend.

?The police last night were calling all family and friends to try and track him down,? said the source.
    Cape police did not answer questions on the docket being sent back for investigation, or if Henri was being looked for by*police.*Captain FC van Wyk said there were no new developments and the investigations were ongoing.
    Marli, who is now staying with family, endured a long hospital stay as she suffered a fractured skull and sustained extensive brain trauma. She underwent neurosurgery and was in a medically-induced coma for several days.

After being discharged from hospital she was admitted to a rehabilitation centre where she received further treatment. She has since been discharged from the centre and has reportedly visited her school on several occasions.

Due to the fact no arrests have been made, she is currently under the physical protection of police.
    While Marli is ?able to walk, communicates well and, surprisingly, given everything that has happened, has retained her sense of humour?, according to family spokesperson Ben Rootman, she has still not made a formal statement to police.

She is suffering from retrograde amnesia and cannot yet*remember the attack.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1227368795662

Where Is Giggling Axe Attack Survivor

May 25 2015

SOUTH African police have reportedly lost track of the uninjured survivor of an axe attack that claimed the lives of his parents and brother and left his sister with horrific injuries.

Marli, 16, and Henri van Breda, 20, are the only survivors of the brutal murder at their Stellenbosch home in South Africa that killed their parents Martin, 54, and Teresa, 55, and former Melbourne University student Rudi, 22, in January.

No arrests have yet been made in the case.

Henri was the only family member to escape, with only minor wounds.

The 22-year-old reportedly ‘giggled’ as he told police about his family’s murder.

The family of five had recently returned to South Africa after living in Perth for six years.

Henri had moved 140 kilometres south to Welkom to stay with a family friend.

But he has since reportedly disappeared from that residence and his current whereabouts are unknown.

According to a statement from family spokesman Ben Rootman, Marli has been discharged from her rehabilitation centre, but her slow recovery continues.

“She is able to walk, communicates well and, surprisingly, given everything that has happened, has retained her sense of humour,’ Mr Rootman said.

The former Perth schoolgirl had been in hospital since she was struck several times on the head and had her throat slashed in the horrific attack.

While her health has improved, Marli has not yet been able to make a complete police statement regarding the attack.

The country’s National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said the investigation into the triple murder case is at a crucial stage.

The NPA’s Velekhaya Mgobhozi said it is impossible to reveal when arrests will be made as police are still investigating the case.

“The investigation into the matter is still pending, it is a crucial stage,” he said.

“There is no way I can discuss or divulge the contents thereof and no decision has been made yet.”

It’s believed siblings Marli and Henri have not yet come face to face more than three months after the attack.

Originally published as Where is ‘giggling’ axe attack survivor?

I don't know much about South African border security, but how hard would it be to cross borders into other African nations & leave the continent from an airport that has less stringent security than SA?

(Actually, you wouldn't even need an airport if you managed to clear every border heading north til you hit the coast. You could just cross to Europe by fishing boat or ferry - nice one SA Police)
    Last edited by blighted star; 05-25-2015 at 02:36 AM.

Mari posted 2 tribute pictures on her instagram. One of her parents and one of her older brother. She titled them "The people I love the most"
    The younger brother was missing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ial-media.html

Assuming he did it-he's pretty lucky that she doesn't remember anything. Maybe he is on the run because he knows who did it and it's someone after him?

who am I kidding? he obviously did it...I've pretty much said it from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Thread Information