Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamir Rice (12) shot by police

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Well the direct reason for that is because of what police have become. They never advertise themselves on the same level as EMT or to serve the public. They're "the authority".

It's like the number one reason for the general rivalry between firemen and police. Both are viewed with respect, but only one is viewed as authority and one is viewed as heroes, and they both resent eachother for those mutual reasons. Firemen want to be held with authority and police want to be seen as heroes.
    Exactly. That's why I push for an overhaul on the entire concept of Police and what they're job description is supposed to be. There needs to be a major change in attitude. The attitude used to be so different decades ago. Yes, corruption existed. But now the balance has shifted where corruption is the norm and the more bad behavior is gone unpunished, the more it will attract people with bad intentions and viewing anyone other than a fellow cop being "the enemy". It's seriously ridiculous how so many treat the general public. Instead of de-escalating situations, many have gotten in the habit of escalating it because "they can".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Shins be wise

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    You guys are bugging of you think that things are worse now than they used to be. The only way things are worse now is that they have better equipment. The police have been militarized. No need to call in the National Guard on protesters anymore.

But if you think you'd rather run into a power hungry cop in 1960 instead of 2015 you need your head examined.

The problem has always been there. People just have cameraphones now.

Stop romanticizing this idea of what police used to be. It's revisionist history. They were always bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Exactly. That's why I push for an overhaul on the entire concept of Police and what they're job description is supposed to be. There needs to be a major change in attitude. The attitude used to be so different decades ago. Yes, corruption existed. But now the balance has shifted where corruption is the norm and the more bad behavior is gone unpunished, the more it will attract people with bad intentions and viewing anyone other than a fellow cop being "the enemy". It's seriously ridiculous how so many treat the general public. Instead of de-escalating situations, many have gotten in the habit of escalating it because "they can".
    Unfortunately it's unavoidable when you have private departments.

I don't believe we'll ever see a big change in this pattern, unless the feds got involved with every police station with internal investigation, which will never happen because A. money and B. people will shit their pants over 'the separation of federal and state government', yadda yadda.

As long as police stations have their own wall or a rug to hide shit, we're always going to have a problem with corruption. We'd probably have it regardless, tbh, as I'm not convinced the feds don't have their own corruption.

This is all just the price we pay for being human and the reality of greed in power. Yaaaayyyyy.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Shins be wise
    Oh, you.

I wonder what Punker would say about all this. She usually avoids these topics for reasons, but I'm interested in her input for the simple fact that she lives the life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Stop romanticizing this idea of what police used to be. It's revisionist history. They were always bad.
    I agree with you - with the correction on sweeping generalization that "they are all and have always been bad."

Cops in many areas used to be avid and almost public members of the KKK, when white supremacy was "cool" back in the day. But not all cops participated in that shit, and if you try to tell me they did, I'll tell you all black men rob people.
    Last edited by Shins; 01-07-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Unfortunately it's unavoidable when you have private departments.

I don't believe we'll ever see a big change in this pattern, unless the feds got involved with every police station with internal investigation, which will never happen because A. money and B. people will shit their pants over 'the separation of federal and state government', yadda yadda.

As long as police stations have their own wall or a rug to hide shit, we're always going to have a problem with corruption. We'd probably have it regardless, tbh, as I'm not convinced the feds don't have their own corruption.

This is all just the price we pay for being human and the reality of greed in power. Yaaaayyyyy.

Oh, you.

I wonder what Punker would say about all this. She usually avoids these topics for reasons, but I'm interested in her input for the simple fact that she lives the life.

I agree with you - with the correction on sweeping generalization that "they are all and have always been bad."

Cops in many areas used to be avid and almost public members of the KKK, when white supremacy was "cool" back in the day. But not all cops participated in that shit, and if you try to tell me they did, I'll tell you all black men rob people.
    They don't?

And yea, being a "good guy" back in these days......Um, OK. Great?

I mean we're talking about a time when jailers opened the gates for people to come in and lynch suspects. Back when "he kinda looks like the guy" was enough for a conviction. This kind of thing has gone on for generations; that's exactly why some people applauded when NYC Mayor de Blasio said what we've all literally said for a long fucking time. And those words made the NYPD turn their back on him. So he represents the people, and they literally turn their backs on him? Pretty telling if you ask me.

Oh, and de Blasio said this pretty much immediately after former Mayopr Guiliani said we're all thugs, and about a year after Mayor Bloomberg said black people weren't stopped enough. Not a former mayor at the time, he said this WHILE IN OFFICE. So yea, excuse me if I say the system sucks a dick back then, and now too.

The system sucks, always has sucked, but it's getting better recently. I mean, they didn't even really hold a trial when a black kid got shot back then. Think about that shit. So I will stand by what I said. Yea, maybe Peter was on the squad back then, and Peter didn't totally suck, but that doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, cops were a lot worse before there was media to bust their balls.

I totally agree with Ron in that romanticizing police work back in the day is a joke.

I recognize that police used to be worse back when it was more socially acceptable to be a racist fuck and profile people. I figured that was obvious with the KKK, Mafia shit, etc.. I just prefer saying things like "the system sucks" rather than "ALL COPS ARE BAD AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN BAD ALWAYS."

Like, let's not be the same asshole on the other side of the fence. It's not true. Unfortunately, the good cops that go against the bad ones usually aren't cops for very long.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Have we seen the full vid - his 14yr old sister being instantly slammed to the ground etcetc

This is just heartbreaking

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    This is just heartbreaking
    If they didn't want their hearts broken, they wouldn't have broken the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Ummmm. Yeah. WHERE in that video do they even have time to ask the kid to put his hands up much less give him a chance to. They pull up, and shoot instantly. That's BULLSHIT right there.
    Seems to be the way your police work. they also like to bash people when they are unconscious. US cops are the worst in the world.

The family of a Tamir Rice has filed a wrongful death suit after the 12-year-old holding a pellet gun was killed. http://huff.to/1BLH0Yq

An amended wrongful death lawsuit over a Cleveland policeman's fatal shooting of a 12-year-old boy includes claims related to his parents and sister and references to other use-of-force cases.

Tamir Rice had a pellet gun when he was confronted by police responding to a call about someone with a firearm near a recreation center on Nov. 22.

The attorneys now representing his family filed the updated federal lawsuit Friday against the city, the officer who shot Tamir, another officer and unnamed emergency dispatchers.

The complaint alleges excessive force, negligence, infliction of emotional distress on his sister and mother, violation of due process for the parents, and failure by the responding officers to provide first aid to the boy immediately after the shooting. He died the next day.

It also claims false imprisonment of Tamir's 14-year-old sister, who ran toward the scene after the shooting, struggled with police and was handcuffed and put into a cruiser parked near her wounded brother.

The city doesn't comment on such pending litigation, Cleveland spokesman Dan Williams said.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    The family of a Tamir Rice has filed a wrongful death suit after the 12-year-old holding a pellet gun was killed. http://huff.to/1BLH0Yq
    Nothing can bring their loved one back, but I'll be damn if I didn't make them pay. I would work to repeal the open and carry laws in that state since they obviously don't apply to Black males. I would start a scholarship so little boys can live their lives the way I hoped my son would have lived his. I would also buy a house, go on that $17k train trip around Africa, and fuck it, I'm going around Russia and Siberia, and then I'm coming back home to try my best to make sure that this never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Nothing can bring their loved one back, but I'll be damn if I didn't make them pay. I would work to repeal the open and carry laws in that state since they obviously don't apply to Black males. I would start a scholarship so little boys can live their lives the way I hoped my son would have lived his. I would also buy a house, go on that $17k train trip around Africa, and fuck it, I'm going around Russia and Siberia, and then I'm coming back home to try my best to make sure that this never happens again.

Akai Gurley's family just got over $3 mil. Tamir's family deserves more.

A long article. I'm just posting the newest quote from the city of cleveland.

His family filed a wrongful death lawsuit and now the city has responded by saying the young boy failed 'to exercise due care to avoid injury.'
    The city also stated in their response, obtained by Cleveland.com, that Tamir died because of 'the conduct of individuals or entities other than Defendant.'
    The Defendant is police officer Timothy Loehmann.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3T8YNzk00
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Here is the whole response from Cleveland.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...ice-answer.pdf

Fucking ridiculous.

I'm so shocked.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/12/us...ate/index.html

13th May 2015
    (CNN)About a week after Tamir Rice's mother and her legal team publicly asked how long it would take to finish the investigation into her son's death, the Cuyahoga County sheriff said Tuesday -- 171 days after the 12-year-old was shot -- that his department is almost there.

Sheriff Clifford Pinkney provided what he said was a timeline of the investigation, which his department took over in December before beginning its investigation "in earnest" in mid-February. He told reporters that he and his investigators had resolved to leave "zero stones unturned" when the investigation is handed to prosecutors.

Pinkney said the team has reviewed thousands of pages of documents, interviewed numerous witnesses and watched "any and all" surveillance of the November 22 incident in which Cleveland police Officer Timothy Loehmann fatally shot the boy in front of a recreation center.

Still, there are witnesses to be interviewed and forensic evidence to be collected, Pinkney said.

"The majority of our work is complete," he said. "We have been tirelessly working on this investigation."

He did not set a deadline for completing the inquiry, but said it shouldn't "drag out beyond what is reasonable."

On May 4, Tamir's mother, Samaria Rice, appeared with her legal team on the steps of the Cuyahoga County Justice Center complex to question the amount of time that has passed since the investigation began, CNN affiliate WJW reported.

"Less than a second and my son is gone, and I want to know how long I got to wait for justice?" she asked.

Mayor sorry for "insensitivity" in response to lawsuit

Cuyahoga County's medical examiner has ruled Tamir's death a homicide but has issued no determination as to whether the events that caused the boy's death constitute a crime.

Cleveland authorities have repeatedly said Loehmann mistook Tamir's pellet gun for a real firearm.

A witness called 911 on November 22 to say there was "a guy with a pistol" and that although the weapon was "probably" fake, Tamir was scaring people. It doesn't appear the dispatcher relayed the information to Loehmann and Officer Frank Garmback. Video of the incident shows the two pull up on the snowy grass near a gazebo where Tamir is standing. Within two seconds of exiting the police car, Loehmann shoots the 12-year-old.

The boy died the next day of injuries to "a major vessel, intestines and pelvis."

In the video, neither Loehmann nor Garmback appears to provide medical assistance to the boy, and Police Chief Calvin Williams has said that Tamir did not receive first aid until an FBI agent arrived on the scene four minutes later.

On Tuesday, attorneys for Loehmann and Garmback released a statement, saying they respect the investigation.

"It is of the highest priority that this investigation protects the due process rights of all parties involved. This investigation must not be influenced by outside commentary or news conferences. For these reasons, we will continue to remain silent as to the facts of this case, until the investigation is concluded," they said on behalf of their clients.

A source familiar with the situation provided a clue as to why the investigation is taking so long.

In compliance with court rulings, administrative statements made by Cleveland police officers about the circumstances surrounding Tamir's death were redacted or purged of information that could have been construed as self-incriminating, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Mom: Tamir's teen sister 'tackled' after shooting

In December, the U.S. Justice Department released the results of a two-year investigation that found Cleveland officers use guns, Tasers, pepper spray and their fists excessively, unnecessarily or in retaliation. The police force has used unnecessary and unreasonable force at a "significant rate," employing "dangerous tactics" that put the community at risk, the investigation stated.

It was also reported in December that Loehmann's previous employer, the Independence Police Department in a Cleveland suburb, had numerous complaints about the officer, including that he was "distracted and weepy" and "emotionally immature" and had demonstrated "a pattern of lack of maturity, indiscretion and not following instructions."

He also showed "dangerous loss of composure during live range training" and an "inability to manage personal stress," the department said.

Dbl

Family of Tamir Rice releases statement on investigation

The family of Tamir Rice has released a statement in the wake of the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's investigation,

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The family of Tamir Rice has released a statement in the wake of the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's investigation.

The statement is as follows:

"We stand extremely vigilant with our effort to bring justice to Tamir-while we understand that the investigation
    into the shooting death of Tamir Rice by The two Cleveland Police Officers- Frank Garmback and Timothy Loehmann
    has now been handed over to the Prosecutor Tim McGinty for review -in addition to the hand over of the file,
    we have been made aware that the Prosecutor may soon convene a grand jury.

In any case, we want the world to know we stand firm in our efforts. We (family) will not stop with our level of
    commitment to bring justice for Tamir, and with that in mind- we wish to ask the officials who are investigating Tamir's Case
    to be mindful and consider their sworn obligation and commitment to peace, social justice, and the civil rights of all."

Please note-We have always maintained that, "Justice for Tamir," has always been at the forefront of our agenda and it will
    continue to be our first priority." In addition, "We are strong and focused throughout this process, and will not stop
    executing our plan to deliver to "Justice" those who are responsible for taking the life of my son Tamir Rice,
    said Samaria Rice-Mother of Tamir Rice.

We believe that many people from across the nation stand with us and in our call for "Justice for Tamir Rice,"
    and the city's ongoing refusal to take responsibility and indict the officers, can only continue to spark more outrage
    in the local Cleveland Community and communities across our nation. In addition, we agree with the recent
    U.S. Department of Justice report that found the Cleveland Police Department to have a "pattern or practice of
    unreasonable and unnecessary use of force," and has repeatedly violated the civil rights of local residents,
    and routinely fails to adequately investigate law enforcement for wrongdoing has added daily to the growing level of discontent.
    Earlier this week, the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Department wrapped up its part of the investigation and handed its findings over to the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office.

The prosecutor's office will decide whether charges should ultimately be filed.

Sources tell WKYC Channel 3 that the department's findings are more of a report than a recommendation.

It does not conclude whether the shooting was justified and does not say whether charges should be filed.

On Nov. 22, 2014, Rice was shot and killed outside Cudell Recreation Center by a Cleveland police officer who feared the air-soft replica gun Rice had was a deadly weapon.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...ment/28578467/

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-murder-charge

A judge in Ohio said on Thursday he had found probable cause to charge a police officer with murder for the fatal shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice last year.

Judge Ronald Adrine of the Cleveland municipal court said there were grounds to prosecute officer Timothy Loehmann with murder, manslaughter, reckless homicide and negligent homicide.

Adrine also found there was probable cause for a charge of negligent homicide against officer Frank Garmback, Loehmann?s partner, who was present when Tamir was shot at a park on 22 November while holding a pellet gun.

The judge's recommendation, however, was brushed aside by Timothy McGinty, the Cuyahoga County prosecutor, who pledged to proceed as planned with having a grand jury decide on whether the officers should be charged.

"This case, as with all other fatal use of deadly force cases involving law enforcement officers, will go to the grand jury," McGinty said in a statement. "That has been the policy of this office since I was elected. Ultimately, the grand jury decides whether police officers are charged or not charged."

In a 10-page order, Judge Adrine wrote that after viewing surveillance video, which shows Tamir being shot dead within two seconds of Loehmann?s arrival, he was ?still thunderstruck by how quickly this event turned deadly?.

The judge said Tamir was given ?little if any time? to respond to any commands from the officers, that his arms were not raised, and that he made no ?furtive movement?. Adrine wrote: ?Literally, the entire encounter is over in an instant.?

Adrine noted that his role remained ?advisory in nature? and that any charges must be brought by prosecutors for the city of Cleveland or Cuyahoga County.

However, Walter Madison, an attorney for Tamir?s family, said on Thursday that he knew of no legitimate impediment to a prosecution and that Loehmann and Garmback should be arrested and arraigned in court.

?We are very much relieved and it is a step towards procedural justice and people having access to their government,? Madison told the Guardian.

The judge?s finding followed community leaders taking advantage of a little-known law to appeal directly to the judge to commence a prosecution of the officer, as is permitted in Ohio and a few other states.

?State law does provide an avenue for a private citizen having knowledge of facts to initiate the criminal process,? Adrine wrote in his order.

Madison said the judge?s finding showed ?the police are public servants and not the public?s master?.

In a statement issued through their attorneys, the Rice family said the eight community leaders who filed affidavits to the judge accusing the officers of murder had ?provided a blueprint for the nation to follow in addressing many of the relationship problems between African Americans and law enforcement?.

Loehmann shot Tamir dead while responding to a 911 call claiming Tamir was pointing his pellet gun. The caller noted the gun was ?probably fake?, though it is unclear if that information was shared with the officers.

Adrine noted in his order on Thursday that the video shows the officers? patrol car was ?still in the process of stopping when Tamir is shot?, that for four minutes ?neither officer approaches Tamir as he lies wounded on the ground?, and that they physically restrained Tamir?s sister when she tried to reach him.

An investigation into the shooting by the Cuyahoga County sheriff?s office has been completed and handed to the office of McGinty, the county prosecutor.

Clifford Pinkney, the county sheriff, said his office had conducted an ?extensive, thorough and unbiased investigation? based on thousands of documents, multiple interviews and reconstructions of the incident.

The decision to proceed with a grand jury in Tamir?s case has prompted anxiety among his family?s supporters, who argue that the format lacks transparency and favours police officers in controversial cases.

A grand jury in St Louis, Missouri, last year declined to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, who killed Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old in August. The following week, a grand jury in New York decided not to indict a police officer who caused the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, by placing him in a chokehold.

Earlier this year Barack Obama?s White House policing taskforce recommended that all fatalities caused by law enforcement officers be investigated by independent prosecutors to avoid potential conflicts of interest among local authorities.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-13-2015 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks for the update.

Timothy McGinty.

I wonder how much he got paid to pull that move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Let's hope the Grand Jury isn't a bunch of boot licking asshats.

It will be business as usual, prosecuting the dead victim.

The problem isn't the grand jury, it's the prosecutors who wont put forth a real case for indictment. We can only hope that the video speaks for itself.

There will definitely be justice for him and his family. I mean, this is America, damn it.

Thread Information