Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nonverbal autistic teen Avonte Oquendo (14) was found dead in a river three months after he went missing

Nonverbal autistic teen Avonte Oquendo (14) was found dead in a river three months after he went missing

I can't believe they haven't found this kid. I didn't post right away when he ran off from his school, because I was so sure he would be found.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=9287718

Avonte Oquendo search enters 18th day

(Oct. 22, 2013) LONG ISLAND CITY (WABC) -- New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says the NYPD is still devoting a lot of resources to the search for 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo, but changes may be coming if the missing Queens boy is not found soon.

The search for Oquendo, who is autistic and non-verbal, enters its 18th day Tuesday.

Kelly says adjustments to lower the number of officers involved will be made this week.

"We will have to make adjustments as far as the deployment of amount of resources we have, we will do that during the week if we are unsuccessful," Kelly said Monday.

The 14-year-old was last seen leaving his school in Long Island City on October 4.

Asked whether the search was scaling down, Kelly said, "Not as yet, but obviously it is something we will have to think about."

Searchers are being reminded that Avonte may be in a place they'd never think to look, hiding out somewhere to avoid crowds and people.

The reward for his safe return has grown to almost $90,000 after the Reverend Al Sharpton and his network of volunteers promised to get involved and contributed $5,000.

For more than two weeks, Daniel Oquendo and Vanessa Fontaine have been waiting for the call that their son has been found, but so far the phone has been silent.

They are now hoping that Rev. Sharpton and his National Action Network will raise the profile of their son's case and get more volunteers involved.

Family members of Avonte joined Sharpton at his Harlem headquarters, thanking New Yorkers for their support but saying more needs to be done.

"This young boy could not have left the school and disappeared in thin air," Rev. Sharpton said. "Somebody saw something, somebody knows something."

There aren't many clues in this mystery. Surveillance video shows the severely autistic 14-year-old running from his school the day he disappeared.

"This is terrible, it's like a nightmare I can't wake up from, every day I'm waiting to see my son come home," Vanessa Fontaine said.

Avonte's father adds that they are just trying to focus on bringing people out and making them aware, so they can have a large search team.

Police say Avonte was fascinated with trains and had previously turned up at subway stations after wandering off from home, so that is where investigators are focusing their energy.

Most recently, in August after he wandered away from home, family members ran to the 67th Avenue Station in Forest Hills where they found him.

Five years ago, he took the subway from Jamaica to Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike Station. Transit police found him that time. And seven years ago, he was found at the Fresh Pond Road Station in Ridgewood after wandering from home.

"Six hundred people have signed up to volunteer, and that's truly wonderful," said the Oquendo family lawyer, David Perecman. "I thank every one of them, but based on the population of the city of New York, we're missing about 8 million."

Perecman says the school district and the NYPD are refusing to turn over files that include interviews with the principal, the school's safety officer who last saw Avonte, and others. He says the family deserves answers as to what led to the teen's disappearance.

The NYPD's Marine Harbor Unit continues to search along the East River. They are searching from above, they are walking the rail yards in Sunnyside, and Auxiliary cops are walking the streets of Long Island City.

"Please bring him back, don't keep him if you have him," said grandmother Doris McCoy, who is convinced someone has her grandson and that he is still alive. "Be good to him. Don't abuse him. Don't hurt him."

Avonte was last seen wearing a gray striped shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. Authorities say that if you do see him, call authorities first and then follow the boy, because he may run if you approach him too quickly.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Not only is it a person of color, but a boy is getting this much attention. I am truly amazed.

Oh, but he's dead. 2 weeks? You gotta shit, eat, and sleep, son. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Not only is it a person of color, but a boy is getting this much attention. I am truly amazed.

Oh, but he's dead. 2 weeks? You gotta shit, eat, and sleep, son. Sorry.
    Yeah, I'm an optimist, and even I have lost my optimism on this one.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Yeah, I'm an optimist, and even I have lost my optimism on this one.
    Yea. It's not like he was kidnapped. Who wants a mute 14 year old that wanders? NOT ME!

I'm guessing he's on some tracks somewhere. Even though they searched them. There's a lot of train in NYC and its outlying areas.

I guess all that praying the people did on Facebook didn't work.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I guess all that praying the people did on Facebook didn't work.
    You're such a douche.

That's really sad. He had no way of protecting himself or knowing what was going on. He probably just wandered somewhere.

That's really sad. He had no way of protecting himself or knowing what was going on. He probably just wandered somewhere.
    Yo, they're really making a crazy effort. Helicopters, vans with loudspeakers playing his mom's voice. He's just not out there. If he is, he's outside of the city limits. And the whole train obsession makes the search radius ridiculous.

At least the school was in Queens and not near Penn Station.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    I want to know why the fuck a 14 year old autistic non-verbal kid with a history of taking off TOWARDS TRAINS wasn't being more closely monitored. For real. this poor kid. :(
    Last edited by neenerneener; 10-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

You're such a douche.
    Jus sayin.

He's adorable, and my heart hurts for the kid. I'm not sure I would invest a lot of blame into his care takers. You can't monitor the every waking action of another human being always. Shit happens.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

This case has generated like 10,000 stories a day, so I can't find everything I read initially, but apparently school officials thought he was hiding in the school when he had actually slipped out a side door. And surveillance video shows him running from the school.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/17...autistic-teen/

On Wednesday, New York Police Department Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the school safety officer who was the last person to see Avonte did nothing wrong. Kelly said the officer encountered the boy at the front door of the Riverside School in Queens and told him to go back upstairs, but Avonte instead exited a side door.

And the parents have already filed a lawsuit:

http://www.qchron.com/editions/queen...3deb6b5a9.html

(Oct. 17, 2013) The massive search for missing Rego Park 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo continues, but the legal side of the case is just beginning.

Avonte's family, represented by attorney David Perecman, has filed a lawsuit against the City of New York after the 14-year-old autistic, nonverbal teenager ran out of his Long Island City school and went missing on Oct. 4. A search of "unprecedented proportions" has continued for over a week, with authorities notably combing through every subway station.

Avonte's mother, Vanessa Fontaine, commends the city's efforts to find her son, but she believes that it took too long for the search to begin in earnest.

"It's taken too long," Fontaine said outside of a makeshift search headquarters tent at Hunters Point South Park. "I want them to re-track and re-search everything."

As a police helicopter hovers just a few dozen feet above a police boat patrolling the banks of the East River, volunteers and family members come and go from the poster-draped tent, often with stacks of fliers in their hands.

In between whirls of the chopper's rotor and the sound of waves knocking against the rocky bank, Perecman states how the worried family "deserves justice" after the institution that was tasked with keeping the child safe failed them.

"It?s a search of unprecedented proportions in this city; I've never seen anything like it," Perecman said. "But how did he get away? There is supposed to be a 6-1-1 ratio at all times, six students to one paraprofessional to one teacher. Someone dropped the ball here, someone failed Avonte and Avonte?s family."

He did not say what the suit seeks from the city.

No hearings or court dates for the lawsuit have been scheduled, as the process is still in the preliminary stage, but the efforts to find Avonte, who is fascinated with trains, have intensified. Authorities have expanded the search onto Long Island as well as into New Jersey, while Perecman states that the city will scour the subway system for the second time in a week.

In addition, urgent messages informing riders of Avonte's disappearance have been playing over the PA systems of the city's subway lines and over 3,000 fliers have already been distributed around the city, and a steady supply of posters will be put up in the coming days as well.

The incredible amount of volunteers and supporters has only increased in the last week, but the Riverview School, where Avonte is enrolled, has provided little in the way of support right from the time he dashed out of the building, according to his mother and Perecman.

"I heard it in the sound of their voice over the phone, I knew something was wrong," Fontaine said. "They told me that he was missing but that they thought he was still in the school, that he didn't get out."

"They have been silent this entire time," Perecman said of the school. "They haven't said much at all since Avonte disappeared."

Department of Education spokesman David Pena said in an email, "We have been working with police who are investigating."

Jus sayin.

He's adorable, and my heart hurts for the kid. I'm not sure I would invest a lot of blame into his care takers. You can't monitor the every waking action of another human being always. Shit happens.
    I agree with you, but when you go to pick your goofy kid up from school, you want your child back and not a shrug from the teacher. Lock the doors if you have to.

Also, um, with a nonverbal severely autistic child, actually constant supervision IS expected and necessary.

Also, um, with a nonverbal severely autistic child, actually constant supervision IS expected and necessary.
    I agree that it is expected and necessary.

I'm just saying that this is where "human error" comes into play and shit happens, regardless of what security measures and guidelines we put into play.

I'm not excusing it. Just being realistic. I'm sure the school didn't "neglect" him intentionally and feel fucking horrible about what happened. I would hope, anyways.

I agree that it is expected and necessary.

I'm just saying that this is where "human error" comes into play and shit happens, regardless of what security measures and guidelines we put into play.

I'm not excusing it. Just being realistic. I'm sure the school didn't "neglect" him intentionally and feel fucking horrible about what happened. I would hope, anyways.
    What if someone snuck away to have a smoke or something? Maybe 'the school' is not at fault, but can an individual be?

What if someone snuck away to have a smoke or something? Maybe 'the school' is not at fault, but can an individual be?
    Of course. That's the human error and fault in "the system" that I'm talking about. Since it's now the school that's getting sued, regardless.

All it takes is one poor choice or decision. I'm not saying this is an excuse. I'm just saying this is a fact of human nature, and in this case it yielded a major fucking consequence.
    Last edited by Shins; 10-23-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: can't type.

Of course. That's the human error and fault in "the system" that I'm talking about. Since it's now the school that's getting sued, regardless.

All it takes is one poor choice or decision. I'm not saying this is an excuse. I'm just saying this is a fact of human nature, and in this case it yeilded and major fucking consequence.
    What's fucked up about shit like this is I bet Ms. Potter goes to have several cigs a day and NOTHING ever happens, but when Ms. Evans sneaks off once to check her texts, Avonte wanders off.

What's fucked up about shit like this is I bet Ms. Potter goes to have several cigs a day and NOTHING ever happens, but when Ms. Evans sneaks off once to check her texts, Avonte wanders off.
    You're pickin up what I'm puttin down.

Ehhhhhhhhhehhhhhhh

I know several people who teach special ed, and there are people on here who do, as well. There are certain kids who must never, ever, no matter what, be left unsupervised, and these people are trained to know that.

Ehhhhhhhhhehhhhhhh

I know several people who teach special ed, and there are people on here who do, as well. There are certain kids who must never, ever, no matter what, be left unsupervised, and these people are trained to know that.
    I understand. I'm just saying that no matter what the job, people slack after awhile. Being an airline pilot is serious business, but some of them may tip back a few cold beers before a flight.When things become routine, people get lazy/sloppy.

I understand. I'm just saying that no matter what the job, people slack after awhile. Being an airline pilot is serious business, but some of them may tip back a few cold beers before a flight.When things become routine, people get lazy/sloppy.
    That's not an excuse, that's why they are liable.

That's not an excuse, that's why they are liable.
    Oh, I agree totally. I think Shins was saying meh.

Ehhhhhhhhhehhhhhhh

I'm sure I read somewhere that the mother said it was school policy that Avonte never be without adult supervision.

It's certainly possible that, for even just a moment, both teachers were occupied with one of the other students and Avonte just bolted. Between my friends that teach special ed and my friends that have special needs children, I've heard some crazy stories about epic meltdowns that require the attention of every adult in the room to get under control. Not that it makes this situation any less horrible, but I hate to assume the teachers were being neglectful.

Maybe we'll eventually get more details about what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the mother said it was school policy that Avonte never be without adult supervision.

It's certainly possible that, for even just a moment, both teachers were occupied with one of the other students and Avonte just bolted. Between my friends that teach special ed and my friends that have special needs children, I've heard some crazy stories about epic meltdowns that require the attention of every adult in the room to get under control. Not that it makes this situation any less horrible, but I hate to assume the teachers were being neglectful.

Maybe we'll eventually get more details about what happened.
    Jesus Christ. How do people deal with having kids like this? I may not understand because I barely see the appeal of 100% healthy children, but if I had one that got freaked out by the color blue, I'd leave it at a fucking fire station.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Ehhhhhhhhhehhhhhhh

This. Obviously shit happens, but I think the parents have some responsibility in this too. How often are they checking on things to make sure their kid is being properly supervised? I mean, they're not perfect either, if he's getting away from them too and winding up at train stations. O.o

Jesus Christ. How do people deal with having kids like this? I may not understand because I barely see the appeal of 100% healthy children, but if I had one that got freaked out by the color blue, I'd leave it at a fucking fire station.
    word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Thread Information