Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hundreds dead in Syrian poison gas attack, many of them children

Hundreds dead in Syrian poison gas attack, many of them children

KIM SENGUPTA DEFENCE CORRESPONDENT THURSDAY 22 AUGUST 2013

The victims were laid out in a hospital, on beds and on the tiled floor, their eyes lifeless and staring. Many of them were very young children, even babies. Others were in convulsion, mouths foaming, as medics frantically tried to save them, using hand-pump respirators.

These were the scenes from videos showing, it was claimed by the Syrian opposition, the devastating aftermath of a massacre of more than 1,300 people by Bashar al-Assad's forces using chemical weapons in Ghouta, east of Damascus.

The regime has denied the allegations, accusing "terrorists and their supporters" in the international media of disseminating false propaganda.

A number of Western states, including Britain, the US and France, asked the UN to investigate the latest deaths. Following a closed-door emergency meeting tonight, the UN Security Council said it needed clarification on the attacks, but made no explicit call for a probe by the team in Syria. "There is a strong concern among council members about the allegations and a general sense that there must be clarity on what happened and the situation must be followed closely," said Argentina's UN ambassador, Maria Cristina Perceval, after the meeting. Russia and China had opposed language that would have demanded a UN probe.

Earlier, the British Foreign Secretary, William Hague, said that if the claims were verified they would "mark a shocking escalation in the use of chemical weapons." "I hope this will wake up some who have supported the Assad regime to realise its murderous and barbaric nature," he added later. Russia had backed up the Assad regime's denials, by saying the attack looked like a rebel 'provocation' to discredit him.

Evidence that the regime has indeed used WMDs, with such a massive number of fatalities, would greatly strengthen the hands of those pressing for large-scale supplies of advanced weapons to the rebels.

Ghazwan Bwidany, a doctor treating the casualties, held that the symptoms indicated the use of sarin gas. "It may be sarin, most probably it is sarin," he said. "We don't have the capacity to treat all this number of people. We're putting them in mosques, in schools. We are lacking medical supplies now, especially atropine, which is the antidote for chemical weapons."

Bayan Baker, a nurse at the Douma Emergency Collection facility, said "Many of those affected are women and children. They arrived with their pupils dilated, cold limbs and foam in their mouths. The doctors say these are typical symptoms of nerve gas victims."
    Last edited by *crickets*; 08-22-2013 at 01:45 AM.

I saw the footage of this today - so disturbing.

Can't the US send them some damn Atropine? We have a ton of it.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Looks like Obama wants to go to war. Pretty much said we are gonna start bombing over there.

He's been such a disappointment.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Looks like Obama wants to go to war. Pretty much said we are gonna start bombing over there.

It's going to happen, no doubt.

i thought i'd link some articles about syria for anyone interested in trying to make sense of what is going on over there. i'll add that i think getting involved in this is a huge fucking mistake. obama has proven over and over that he is not the man i campaigned for and voted for in 2008.

Syria: The very, very basics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...y-very-basics/

9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rassed-to-ask/

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post

I hope the air force in charge of the bombings yell "Hey Assad! You missed a kid!" before dropping each bomb and blowing up civilians.

Nice of us to help him finish the job.

Fucking retarded.

I hope the air force in charge of the bombings yell "Hey Assad! You missed a kid!" before dropping each bomb and blowing up civilians.

Nice of us to help him finish the job.

Fucking retarded.
    Syria has an excellent missile defense system that would take our military an estimated 4 months to destroy. Any bombings or attacks that happen will most likely come from the sea, not the air force. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your post.

As despicable as the gas attack was, the Syrian people will end up hating the US more for getting involved than the attack on their own people.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    As despicable as the gas attack was, the Syrian people will end up hating the US more for getting involved than the attack on their own people.
    Well, because we won't just get involved, unfortunately. We never just go in to be heroes.

you'd think a guy who won a nobel peace prize might be more willing to go in and try to negotiate before dropping bombs or sending in the drones.

Obama doesn't have a lot of support in this. England's Parliament outvoted the PM from getting involved. Democrats as well as Republicans in Congress are against it as well, even though they're on summer recess and haven't been called into vote.

(Hubby notes that the French are in full support of military action and have vowed to fight until every last American.)

And that made me lose my train of thought!
    Last edited by I doubt it; 08-31-2013 at 09:53 AM.

the french used to occupy syria, i'm not really shocked by that. but you're right, not only does obama not have much support at all from other nations he doesn't have the support at home he needs for this, either. not in congress or with the american people.

US flatters France as ‘oldest ally’ after UK vote on Syria

http://www.france24.com/en/20130831-...nce-john-kerry

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I know there's more important things obviously but I wonder if this is going to result in an Olympic boycott? I'm watching this shit now. Such a joke. I FEEL TOTALLY COMFORTABLE DOING THIS WITHOUT THE APPROVAL OF...WELL ANYONE. Because America suddenly cares about some dead kids. So long as we didn't kill them/they were gassed.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

so i see know they are taking it to congress, which is good but only makes me assume that they have manipulated enough to know they have to votes to go forward.

Jesus. That speech was disheartening . This is the LAST thing that needs to happen but he basically said he's already decided that it's going down.

Just a question. What do you want Obama to do? (I don't have an answer myself either) but I don't think the man can win. If he acts unilaterally, he's wrong. If he can get congressional authorization, it's because someones bought them off, if he can't it's because he's a weak pussy. So. If you were in the round office, what would you do?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

like i said above, if he wants to get involved he should try to negotiate for peace instead of going in there with guns blazing.

i never think war is the answer, but to try and be pragmatic one could argue that if he really wanted anything to be done about syria he should have acted back in 2011 when it all started and possibly could have been better contained.

i think we should stay out of it because it's not 'murica's job to be the world police. we don't have the resources, we don't need to stir the pot with iran or russia, we've killed too many innocent as it is while we deny drone wars.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Just a question. What do you want Obama to do? (I don't have an answer myself either) but I don't think the man can win. If he acts unilaterally, he's wrong. If he can get congressional authorization, it's because someones bought them off, if he can't it's because he's a weak pussy. So. If you were in the round office, what would you do?
    You're right. This is just another side of politics that not everyone is going to agree with. That's why politics suck. He's the man in the office and ultimately this all falls down on him. This is so similar to the Iraq invasion to search for "WMD" that never existed. I think that, combined with the lingering war spurred by 9/11, is what's disappointing so many people. I know those are two big reasons why I'm disappointed. I feel like I do when my kid does something wrong for the 12th time, that she should have already learned her lesson for.

Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    What do I want Odumbo to do; go play golf!
    That way he can do the least amount of damage to our great country.

Quote Originally Posted by hjtommt1 View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    so i see know they are taking it to congress, which is good but only makes me assume that they have manipulated enough to know they have to votes to go forward.
    Right, and Congress is on vacay (lol) for like 2 weeks. They know it's going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    like i said above, if he wants to get involved he should try to negotiate for peace instead of going in there with guns blazing.

i never think war is the answer, but to try and be pragmatic one could argue that if he really wanted anything to be done about syria he should have acted back in 2011 when it all started and possibly could have been better contained.

i think we should stay out of it because it's not 'murica's job to be the world police. we don't have the resources, we don't need to stir the pot with iran or russia, we've killed too many innocent as it is while we deny drone wars.
    I agree with this 100%. This isn't our place, and it isn't going to end well. Also, can you IMAGINE the backlash if Bush was president right now and made the same call? WHERE ARE YOU, LIBERALS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by hjtommt1 View Post
    Well, that's just kind of stupid. Obama isn't responsible for the shittiness that is our great country, but he's certainly perpetuating it with this misdirected call.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

isnt there anyone else that can destroy their missles or is the industrialized world just looking at us to do this? last i heard france was all "YEA AMERICA GO GET 'EM"

Most recent facebook post about Syria:

Watching Obama speak on Syria. Are you joking? Powerful case?! You told the fuckin world your big plan for "change"! For all you Bush haters out there.. HA.
    ..Oh really? Tell me more.

Thread Information