Quote Originally Posted by TessD View Post
In my state, or at least in the ER where I work, the paramedics can and do pronounce people dead at the scene without involving our ER physicians, when the death is obvious. Those people are never transported to the ER to be pronounced DOA by a physician. On the other hand, if the paramedics initiate resuscitation at the scene, they are required to contact an ER physician for advise as to whether they should continue resusitation or call it. If there is any question at all, obviously the patient is transported to the ER.

I agree that the autopsy report is consistent with the cause of death being positional asphyxiation and this was most likely a tragic accident. Will the second, independent autopsy reveals anything different? I kind of doubt it but maybe it will at least give Kendrick's parents some answers?? I guess we'll see! I have a feeling there is going to be a big law suit involving this case.
Medics are allowed to pronounce without calling Medical Direction? That's interesting. We call the nearest ER and give the info to the doc, then pronouncement is made at the scene by the medic and the coroner is called. Back in the day, the coroner would have to be called and physically be on the scene to call time of death. We don't transport any dead people to be called DOA in the ER. Unless, we initiate life saving measures at the scene/patient crashes en route, then it is the same as what you are describing.

I hope the parents are able to come to terms if/when the independent forensic investigators come to the same conclusion as the first. Unfortunately, I also feel a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
Thank you for all that info, MorbidT! After reading everything you wrote, I'm definitely thinking it was an accident. The only thing I am confused on, and I don't think anyone has explained (I could've skipped over it so I apologize in advance if I'm wrong) is how he was able to get in there. If I remember correctly, the rolled up mat was taller than him. Seems to me if would be impossible, or really hard, to pull youself up with nothing to put your feet on to help you up. Guess there must've been something near there he was able to stand on? I know in an article I read, the issue of the mat being taller than him was brought up, but I never saw anything that could explain that part.
I'm think other mats were around, laying horizontal on the ground, in order for him to get up near the opening of the one he fell in.