Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Yeah, uh. So - no joke. Just saw a post in the joke thread the other say "I didn't know this way here!" Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

I'm not sure what your point is. If you are saying that people are having problems navigating the forum and finding other forums/threads because they are camped out in the Jodi thread, please, post links in there to direct them. There really is no other way to get them out of there if they have no idea how to get out.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post

I'm not sure what your point is. If you are saying that people are having problems navigating the forum and finding other forums/threads because they are camped out in the Jodi thread, please, post links in there to direct them. There really is no other way to get them out of there if they have no idea how to get out.
    I SO do not mean this to be nasty...but Im a little concerned about how they can manage to be posting in the jodi thread for months, but not be able to find a way to the rest of the board?
    Maybe Im misunderstanding what you meant....
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

I think a lot of posters are hunkered down in the main Jodi thread and don't navigate out. Links have been posted, multiple times, in the current Jodi thread and the previous Jodi thread. Rules have also been posted - and have been ignored. That's one of the biggest complaints: people do not listen.

I am really skeptical it is "that they can not navigate the forum", because how are they getting to the thread and then also all of the issues that have happened with reps/smites ect. Additionally when the first Jodi thread was locked a good numbers of posters came to the Chit-chat thread to question the reasons as to why and continue discussing the trial/case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
    You make some reasonable points.

I think we might be stuck in a Escher-esque endless loop. Many of the noobs never post outside the Jodi thread because we are under the impression that there is significant animosity and contempt towards us because we participate regularly in the Jodi thread. Many of you seasoned posters never read the Jodi thread because you are positive only crazy annoying people with nothing valid to say post there. So the cycle just continues.

Part of the problem might also be that many of us noobs were attracted to the Jodi thread on MDS (rather than one of the many other options) specifically because of the mix of informative links, interesting theories and debates, and dark humor. I know that is the case for me.

I admit, I found this forum while looking for info on the Arias case. I lurked on this and other forums for a time before I actually posted, and what made me choose MDS rather than one of the many other options was that I liked the mix of relevant facts and irreverent humor. Plus I could say fuck, which is always a nice bonus. This was back during the original Jodi thread, and there was not a sub-forum for humor, or memes, or fan fiction or anything else at that time.

So if I am understanding your post, you are saying the humor is inappropriate and not allowable in a regular thread under MDS rules? I guess I must not have read the rules closely enough, I just joined and added my posts that seemed to me to fit the general tone of the forum where I was posting. So far as I knew, I was not posting anything that many others were not posting (who all seemed like old timers to me, although I realize now many of them were noobish as well).

I do find it ironic that you find coconut's posts so annoying, since he is one of the handful of posters who regularly post well thought out posts that are pro-defense. Coconut is the opposite of a mindless pro-prosecution cheerleader. He does post a few humorous posts as well, and I happen to find most of them hilarious, but he posts more pro-defense posts than humor posts. Ah well, to each their own, I suppose.

I do appreciate your engaging in a civil conversation with me about this issue. I say that with all sincerity.
    i don't know why coconuts posts annoy me so much. i feel like i enjoyed his posts for a minute but then something took it a step too far and colored my opinion of him. now i have a hard time with his posts because.... i don't know really. i just do. it's very possible that i'm in the wrong, but you can't help feelings with out some serious soul searching, and i'm not about to do that right now.

if you have read the other threads, you'll find that humor abounds. it's a different type of humor though. like... i don't really like to read all of the negative humor coming out of the jodi forum. i find a lot of it is mean spirited. i don't personally like to read the body/looks bashing. i don't like erotic storylines. but i do like a lot of the humor. i think it's funny when someone cleverly points out how crazy and irrational jodi is and what a liar she is. i like the 'dear diaries', and although she throws in an appearance joke now and then, they are used well and serve to emphasize other concepts in the letters. i also like mjoys posts. i really like that i can easily find mjoys posts because they're in the appropriately titled section.

brillig - i think your contributions are pretty great in this context. i don't know it in the context of the jodi thread because i don't have time to wade through all the pages. i don't recall disliking your posts from what i've read, and this is why i don't understand why you identify so strongly with the 'jodi nuts'. if i can't handle going through x-amount of posts to find the diamond in the rough, i'm never going to find the diamond because it's just not worth it. i'd like to see your contributions, but i won't because they are contained in one thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I think a lot of posters are hunkered down in the main Jodi thread and don't navigate out. Links have been posted, multiple times, in the current Jodi thread and the previous Jodi thread. Rules have also been posted - and have been ignored. That's one of the biggest complaints: people do not listen.

I am really skeptical it is "that they can not navigate the forum", because how are they getting to the thread and then also all of the issues that have happened with reps/smites ect. Additionally when the first Jodi thread was locked a good numbers of posters came to the Chit-chat thread to question the reasons as to why and continue discussing the trial/case.
    The problem that I was attempting to address is keeping people on topic in the Jodi thread. I'm not a mod, so I can't really do anything to people if they get off topic except to suggest they post these topics elsewhere (which I have on occasion). Trying to direct people to post these topics in other threads in the subforum seems to work to an extent.

The additional problem that you want to address is that Jodi thread people are posting in the Jodi subforum instead of branching out to other areas of the forum.

What would you suggest as a good way to get people to move into other areas of the forum? You could always post a thread in the subforum with information and links to other areas of the forum.

But please be aware that some of these people will bring Jodi with them, which is something that you (and others) have mentioned that you find annoying. The off topic threads in the Jodi subforum are often Jodi-centric as well.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

The problem that I was attempting to address is keeping people on topic in the Jodi thread. I'm not a mod, so I can't really do anything to people if they get off topic except to suggest they post these topics elsewhere (which I have on occasion). Trying to direct people to post these topics in other threads in the subforum seems to work to an extent.
    Here's the thing: The MODs have addressed this. And people have you can't do this/that/the other thing because they are a new member/a premie ect. They disrespect the MODs. If another member tries to help direct or suggest there's you're not a MOD response.

Maybe babysteps are needed, but why is it that this is the only thread/case/topic that's needed it's own subforum in the history of MDS? That's the issue people have. I do think that the subforum needs to go away when the trial ends, because having Jodiland in a nice secure place is a bit much.

The additional problem that you want to address is that Jodi thread people are posting in the Jodi subforum instead of branching out to other areas of the forum.

What would you suggest as a good way to get people to move into other areas of the forum? You could always post a thread in the subforum with information and links to other areas of the forum.
    You know what helped make new users in the Morgan thread get out there? We were encouraged, we were sent links to threads to get in and break the ice. Lady Macbeth jumped in and posted photos of her pets. There are 'safe' threads out there to jump into, test the waters, and get a good feel for people. The general chit-chat thread is also a great thread because it's a place to chat about anything. Maybe instead of encouraging us 'outsiders' to post links you could do it, as someone from the thread. You could suggest and link to the other threads. You've gotten some folks out and chit-chatting, now get them out onto the main board.

[/quote]But please be aware that some of these people will bring Jodi with them, which is something that you (and others) have mentioned that you find annoying. The off topic threads in the Jodi subforum are often Jodi-centric as well.[/QUOTE]

But, why? Why does everything have to relate back to Jodi? Why does the suicide of a 9 year old have to get connected to Jodi? If it's really necessary, sure. But, really: why? Sure this might be a current interest for people but does it really have to dominate everything or be related to everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Monter View Post
    I SO do not mean this to be nasty...but Im a little concerned about how they can manage to be posting in the jodi thread for months, but not be able to find a way to the rest of the board?
    Maybe Im misunderstanding what you meant....
    I don't know, to me it seems to be just a lack of curiosity to discover the rest of the board. Or they may hunker down in the Jodi thread because they felt unwelcomed in other areas of the board (I have seen this mentioned many times). Miller's the one who mentioned someone posting something along the lines of "I didn't know this was here".

I don't know, to me it seems to be just a lack of curiosity to discover the rest of the board. Or they may hunker down in the Jodi thread because they felt unwelcomed in other areas of the board (I have seen this mentioned many times). Miller's the one who mentioned someone posting something along the lines of "I didn't know this was here".
    I hear what youre saying.
    This is not a hand holding community, as you know. People are totally free to indulge their quirks and behaviors, but know they may get shit for it. The whole board is like this. I dont see the necessity to treat these posters like delicate little flowers who cant deal with anything, you know?
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan

This is not a hand holding community, as you know. People are totally free to indulge their quirks and behaviors, but know they may get shit for it. The whole board is like this. I dont see the necessity to treat these posters like delicate little flowers who cant deal with anything, you know?
    I think my biggest issue is I'm seeing a whole lot of Groupthink goin on and that's scary as shit to me. Not only does it seem like posters don't want to leave the safe, warm, comfort of the Jodi subforum womb, they don't want to create thoughts or opinions of their own.

Here's the thing: The MODs have addressed this. And people have you can't do this/that/the other thing because they are a new member/a premie ect. They disrespect the MODs. If another member tries to help direct or suggest there's you're not a MOD response.

Maybe babysteps are needed, but why is it that this is the only thread/case/topic that's needed it's own subforum in the history of MDS? That's the issue people have. I do think that the subforum needs to go away when the trial ends, because having Jodiland in a nice secure place is a bit much.
    I don't know why, but you seem to be blaming everyone who posts in the thread for this particular phenomenon. As are others who complain about the Jodi nuts. I don't know why this thread went crazy when the Casey Anthony thread did not, except that maybe there aren't as many outlets on the internet to post on the subject as there were for the Casey Anthony trial. But blaming the "nuts" who post in the thread is part of the problem IMHO.

You know what helped make new users in the Morgan thread get out there? We were encouraged, we were sent links to threads to get in and break the ice. Lady Macbeth jumped in and posted photos of her pets. There are 'safe' threads out there to jump into, test the waters, and get a good feel for people. The general chit-chat thread is also a great thread because it's a place to chat about anything. Maybe instead of encouraging us 'outsiders' to post links you could do it, as someone from the thread. You could suggest and link to the other threads. You've gotten some folks out and chit-chatting, now get them out onto the main board.
    But please be aware that some of these people will bring Jodi with them, which is something that you (and others) have mentioned that you find annoying. The off topic threads in the Jodi subforum are often Jodi-centric as well.[/QUOTE]

But, why? Why does everything have to relate back to Jodi? Why does the suicide of a 9 year old have to get connected to Jodi? If it's really necessary, sure. But, really: why? Sure this might be a current interest for people but does it really have to dominate everything or be related to everything?[/QUOTE]

Why? I don't know why, except that they will. And they will be bashed for it and go back and hunker down in the Jodi thread. This is part of the problem.

You have to ask yourself, do you want them to branch out into other areas of the thread or not? If so, be welcoming. A polite "can we not talk about Jodi Arias in here" would not be out of line, a sort of GTFO of here with that Jodi Arias crap response would just send them back in here. You see what I'm saying?

As far as posting a thread with links to other areas of the forum, maybe I will. I don't really see it as my problem (or even a problem), I was making a suggestion because you seemed to be upset about a situation but did not have a solution. But I might do it if nobody else does.

Right, and that's fine. I'm just saying that at this point, if you want these people to branch out into other areas of the forum, you may have to do a little hand holding. Me, I don't think it's a problem. A lot of people will leave when the trial is over. Some people will end up venturing into the rest of the board and many will stick around. The trial is almost over. !!! It is at that point that the wheat will get separated from the chaff.

Zeeb, I see where you are going. But you know how we all fuck around with each other to greater or lesser degrees - that will not change, it is the nature of the board. It is why we stay around here. ( Being broad with the we). I dont see the value in a board that has a certain rhythm to it for 7 years trying to change to accommodate a bunch of people who wont try and get along.

In other words, the trial is what is foremost on many people's minds right now, but when it's over, they will start looking for something else to do.

Zeeb, I see where you are going. But you know how we all fuck around with each other to greater or lesser degrees - that will not change, it is the nature of the board. It is why we stay around here. ( Being broad with the we). I dont see the value in a board that has a certain rhythm to it for 7 years trying to change to accommodate a bunch of people who wont try and get along.
    Agreed. This is why I don't think that people hunkering in the Jodi thread is a problem. But that is JMO.

everybody make so goot points right now, i don't know who to beelief. (in my best russian accent, just because.)

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    everybody make so goot points right now, i don't know who to beelief. (in my best russian accent, just because.)

I don't know why, but you seem to be blaming everyone who posts in the thread for this particular phenomenon. As are others who complain about the Jodi nuts. I don't know why this thread went crazy when the Casey Anthony thread did not, except that maybe there aren't as many outlets on the internet to post on the subject as there were for the Casey Anthony trial. But blaming the "nuts" who post in the thread is part of the problem IMHO.
    Please, show me where I said "everyone"? I said "people". There is a difference and I think this is a large part of the problem. You're reading into what is being said. I have said multiple times here, evening naming a few names, that it's not posters in totality - just certain posters and not even those posters, but their manner and style. I feel as though you are projecting, and this might also be the issue that others in the thread are doing.

Do I feel there are posters in the Jodi thread who do not want to branch out? Yes. Do I feel there are problem posters in the Jodi thread? Yes. Do I feel there are posters who would not contribute to the community as a whole? Yes (and I feel some of those posters have repeatedly proven this, outside of the Jodi thread) Do I feel there are posters in the Jodi thread who are a part of the groupthink phenomenon that is a large factor of the Jodi thread? Yes.

Do I think that is it every poster in the Jodi thread? No.

But please be aware that some of these people will bring Jodi with them, which is something that you (and others) have mentioned that you find annoying. The off topic threads in the Jodi subforum are often Jodi-centric as well.

Why? I don't know why, except that they will. And they will be bashed for it and go back and hunker down in the Jodi thread. This is part of the problem.

You have to ask yourself, do you want them to branch out into other areas of the thread or not? If so, be welcoming. A polite "can we not talk about Jodi Arias in here" would not be out of line, a sort of GTFO of here with that Jodi Arias crap response would just send them back in here. You see what I'm saying?
    And the issue is, when it's asked that things/threads not become another Jodi thread or the entire board not become a Jodifest - politely or otherwise, it's always taken as "attacking" or "painting everyone the same way" or what have you. Sort of like you thought/think I'm saying "everyone" in the thread regardless of the fact that I have not once indicated everyone in the thread does one action or the other.

As far as posting a thread with links to other areas of the forum, maybe I will. I don't really see it as my problem (or even a problem), I was making a suggestion because you seemed to be upset about a situation but did not have a solution. But I might do it if nobody else does.
    I don't think it's so much a problem as it's a "why?" - a lack of understanding why something is necessary. Certainly even moreso when I look into the Jodi Chit-chat and it's just more of the same discussions that are had in the main thread.

Again, I don't think you realize that if someone else from the board who is not a "Jodi thread regular" were to post a list of links that it would be paid any attention to. Even MODs posted links and that was largely ignored.

This.

In other words, the trial is what is foremost on many people's minds right now, but when it's over, they will start looking for something else to do.
    I'll be honest. I'm pretty concerned that there will be a "trial hop" and people will move over to the next "big trial" which is the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case and will blow that shit up. And I'm concerned it will be turned into a bunch of fuckery*, memes, 'funny' videos, ect. I sure as shit don't want to see fan fic!

*Now, before someone with the silver medal rides in here: yes, I made a scathing post the other night. It was in response to someone who was acting in a manner that I felt needed such a response. If that person had come in with less condescension, more intelligent thought (like Faq_Q had in his post, like you have Zee) then it would have received quite a different response form I'm certain all of us. But they didn't.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    this thread makes me want to become an hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    this thread makes me want to become an hero.
    Can I write fan fiction about it?

[QUOTE=Miller22;3403356]Please, show me where I said "everyone"? I said "people". There is a difference and I think this is a large part of the problem. You're reading into what is being said. I have said multiple times here, evening naming a few names, that it's not posters in totality - just certain posters and not even those posters, but their manner and style. I feel as though you are projecting, and this might also be the issue that others in the thread are doing.

Do I feel there are posters in the Jodi thread who do not want to branch out? Yes. Do I feel there are problem posters in the Jodi thread? Yes. Do I feel there are posters who would not contribute to the community as a whole? Yes (and I feel some of those posters have repeatedly proven this, outside of the Jodi thread) Do I feel there are posters in the Jodi thread who are a part of the groupthink phenomenon that is a large factor of the Jodi thread? Yes.

Do I think that is it every poster in the Jodi thread? No.[/group]

Regardless, when someone talks about a group of people in a disparaging way, if you are one of those people, you're going to get offended. This is just normal human behavior.

And the issue is, when it's asked that things/threads not become another Jodi thread or the entire board not become a Jodifest - politely or otherwise, it's always taken as "attacking" or "painting everyone the same way" or what have you. Sort of like you thought/think I'm saying "everyone" in the thread regardless of the fact that I have not once indicated everyone in the thread does one action or the other.

I don't think it's so much a problem as it's a "why?" - a lack of understanding why something is necessary. Certainly even moreso when I look into the Jodi Chit-chat and it's just more of the same discussions that are had in the main thread.
    It's not necessary for you to understand, although I relate to the curiosity. The main problem at hand is "how do we keep people on topic in the thread" and the issue that you brought up, which is "how do we get people posting in other areas of the forum?"

As far as bringing up Jodi topics in other threads, my suggestion would be to ignore it completely. Don't ignore the poster (unless they're a jerk), just make no mention of the Jodi Arias reference. If the reference is ignored it doesn't become an issue and if nobody reacts (positively or negatively), it probably won't be repeated too often (This probably would never happen though and is just wishful thinking).

I have already posted my thoughts on getting people to post in other areas of the forum.

Again, I don't think you realize that if someone else from the board who is not a "Jodi thread regular" were to post a list of links that it would be paid any attention to. Even MODs posted links and that was largely ignored.
    I think a thread would be better posted closer to the end of the trial. JMO

[/group] WTF was I thinking

I'll be honest. I'm pretty concerned that there will be a "trial hop" and people will move over to the next "big trial" which is the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case and will blow that shit up. And I'm concerned it will be turned into a bunch of fuckery*, memes, 'funny' videos, ect. I sure as shit don't want to see fan fic!
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that will happen. People are really into this trial for many reasons; the Zimmerman trial just isn't as titillating.

[/group] WTF was I thinking
    :huh:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that will happen. People are really into this trial for many reasons; the Zimmerman trial just isn't as titillating.
    you said tit-illating.

Maybe it was because it was brought up in the Jodi thread, but I've seen several folks come over already. It's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. However I have a stereotypical, generalized, opinion about trial watchers (myself included) that major televised trials tend to get attention from people regardless of the players. People who watched the Casey Anthony trial, watched the Scott Peterson, watched the Drew Peterson, watched the Jodi Arias will watch the Zimmerman.

And because Zimmerman is in Florida we have the added bonus of the sunshine laws.

Thread Information