Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beware: Sad dog story. Suspect jumps off a bridge with police dog

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar

Beware: Sad dog story. Suspect jumps off a bridge with police dog

Out and about in downtown san diego yesterday and heard a bunch of sirens. Turns out this is what it was. Grats on surviving the jump dude, most dont. But fuck you for being an asshole.

UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

6:12 p.m. January 1, 2008

Oceanside police
    Stryker the police dog died in plunge from Coronado bridge.
    A Vista man has been charged with the death of an Oceanside police dog after he grabbed the canine and leaped off the San Diego-Coronado Bridge following a police chase Monday night, authorities said.
    Cory Byron, 27, also is charged with evading arrest and drunken driving. He survived the 200-foot leap into San Diego Bay, a California Highway Patrol spokeswoman said, but was hospitalized with a collapsed lung at UCSD Medical Center Tuesday.

Oceanside police said Officer Kedrick Sadler was patrolling with his Belgian shepherd, Stryker, when he spotted Byron become involved in a minor traffic accident on College Boulevard about 6:30 p.m. Instead of stopping, Byron headed west on state Route 76 and then south on Interstate 5, with Sadler and CHP officers in pursuit, police said.

Less than an hour later, Byron exited I-5 at the bridge and stopped his GMC pick-up truck near the highest point and got out. Sadler released Stryker, whom police said bit Byron and pulled him to the ground. Byron then allegedly grabbed the dog and jumped over the concrete barrier into the bay, where he was rescued by harbor police, according to authorities.

I drive over that bridge a few times a week. Beautiful sight but even driving over it can make a person nervous. This story kinda bummed me out the whole day.

Re: Beware: Sad dog story. Suspect jumps off a bridge with police dog

I read this, this morning.

the guy lived after jumping off that?? Geez

Poor, Poor doggy. Why did the bastard have to take him with him?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

I really wonder what goes on around here sometimes, when you need special warnings cause of a fuckin animal death.

There are articles about teenagers, children and even babies that are the victims of tragedies, 
    but some folks need to be warned cause they're too sensitive to hear about a cocker spaniel dying.

I don't get it.

Sad about the dog though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=11840.msg677766#msg677766 date=1199243719]
    I really wonder what goes on around here sometimes, when you need special warnings cause of a fuckin animal death.

There are articles about teenagers, children and even babies that are the victims of tragedies, 
    but some folks need to be warned cause they're too sensitive to hear about a cocker spaniel dying.

I don't get it.

[/quote]I don't post sad animal stories anymore.
    Since I was warned I may get smited :lol:

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar

Yup. Animal sentiment is pretty strong around here. Kinda strange that in a site about death the animal stories get the biggest rise out of people.

And yeah, i didnt wanna be on the recieving end of "OMG, dead aminal! Now im sad and i hate you" messages.

I don't get it.

[/quote]

Sometimes it baffles me as well Ron. It took a 3 second gif of a pig getting chainsawed for there to be uproar in the disgusting picture thread after all the pics and videos posted in there(including dead children, corpse molestation and numerous beheadings) Nothing said about the suicide bomber video that was posted a page earlier of course. I understand that people have different levels of sensitivity towards different things, but it still makes me wonder sometimes.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg677782#msg677782 date=1199244412]

Sometimes it baffles me as well Ron. It took a 3 second gif of a pig getting chainsawed for there to be uproar in the disgusting picture thread after all the pics and videos posted in there(including dead children, corpse molestation and numerous beheadings) Nothing said about the suicide bomber video that was posted a page earlier of course. I understand that people have different levels of sensitivity towards different things, but it still makes me wonder sometimes.
    [/quote]

my eyes actually just rolled right out of my head.  :2eyesbleed:

watching something die (in a torturous way) is SO different then reading an article about it. if you have a problem reading an article about it, then youre too sensitive, if you have a problem WATCHING it, you're normal.

there is a reason most serial killers were into shit like that, and its not because they were sane.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg677782#msg677782 date=1199244412]

[/quote]

Why does it make you wonder?  It all goes back to the "innocence" factor IMO.  Why is the rape of a child considered so much worse than the rape of a teen or an adult?  Why is a 12-year-old's suicide considered more tragic than a 21-year-old's?  Humans tend to rank tragedy based on the innocence of the victim - the rape of a college student = disgusting.  The rape of a prostitute = wrong, but people will not necessarily be as sympathetic towards the victim. 

I consider animal abuse worse than the abuse of humans for the simple fact that humans have weapons, and all the other animals have is what nature gave them.  A dog's bite cannot compare to a gun.  Some people may think that's ass-backwards, but I don't really care.  I've experienced some things at the hands of other humans that animals could not even begin to try to think to do to me.  Therefore, I champion their cause as opposed to humans, who are generally capable of defending themselves better than animals anyway.  That's not to say if a bad guy broke into my house and made me choose who I wanted to live, my brother or my dog, that I would choose the dog - I wouldn't.  Human life always wins over other animal life.  But that's not going to dictate how I emotionally respond to certain things.  I can't help it if a dead dog would make me cry a lot sooner than a dead human - that's simply the way I am wired, and I make no apologies for it.  It doesn't have to be rational, it's just the way it is and that's why if you don't understand it, you probably never will.  I never shed a tear over the 9-11 victims, but I bawled like a baby when I read about the one security dog for the towers that was killed that day.  I can't help my physiological responses. 

And I don't think a warning was necessary for this post, but I appreciated it nonetheless.  I refused to see "I Am Legend" because I learned that the dog died.  Which leads me to...

I don't get it.

[/quote]

What I don't understand - and maybe some of you guys (or Kara lol) could explain it to me, is why "sensitive" is lobbied about here like it's such a bad thing.  Surely there are SOME things left in this world that happen that you don't want to become unfazed by?  I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to certain things - okay, many things - and that's just the way I'm made.  Seriously, sometimes I feel like some of you guys (and I'm not directing this specifically toward you Ron, but guys in general) would point and laugh at a kid for crying over his dead mother. 
    Bisexual black female<br />in search of straight male<br />for love relationship<br />...long walks on the beach<br />...a good book in front of the fire<br />..and lots and lots of anal sex<br />--send photo--

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=11840.msg677868#msg677868 date=1199247030]

my eyes actually just rolled right out of my head.&nbsp; :2eyesbleed:

watching something die (in a torturous way) is SO different then reading an article about it. if you have a problem reading an article about it, then youre too sensitive, if you have a problem WATCHING it, you're normal.

there is a reason most serial killers were into shit like that, and its not because they were sane.
    [/quote]

My eyes roll out of my head with regards to your glaring hypocrisy concerning hunting. Which once again, animals suffer longer than the pig in that video. Oh and guess what Sauce? Most people hunt for sport and then food. People hunt for entertainment, food is a byproduct. People kill animals for fun(that's what hunting is) Or let me guess, people need deer jerky to survive?&nbsp; So maybe if the people in that pig video ate the pig after then you'd be cool with it? Better talk to all your friends who hunt and shoot animals. Those animals suffer a lot longer than 2 seconds(in fact many will agree that is &quot;tortuous behavior&quot;) Is it the animals you are sad for, or does it just come down to the fact that that pig video is more in your face, more blood and more dramatic then hunting a wild boar with a bow and arrow? (which i'm sure many of your hunter friends have posted on youtube)

Oh and my response had nothing to do with reading or watching a video. It had to do with the over sensitivity towards any animal related tragedy when compared to most things involving humans.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=SuzySteamboat link=topic=11840.msg677896#msg677896 date=1199247657]
    Why does it make you wonder?&nbsp; It all goes back to the &quot;innocence&quot; factor IMO.&nbsp; Why is the rape of a child considered so much worse than the rape of a teen or an adult?&nbsp; Why is a 12-year-old's suicide considered more tragic than a 21-year-old's?&nbsp; Humans tend to rank tragedy based on the innocence of the victim - the rape of a college student = disgusting.&nbsp; The rape of a prostitute = wrong, but people will not necessarily be as sympathetic towards the victim.&nbsp;

I consider animal abuse worse than the abuse of humans for the simple fact that humans have weapons, and all the other animals have is what nature gave them.&nbsp; A dog's bite cannot compare to a gun.&nbsp; Some people may think that's ass-backwards, but I don't really care.&nbsp; I've experienced some things at the hands of other humans that animals could not even begin to try to think to do to me.&nbsp; Therefore, I champion their cause as opposed to humans, who are generally capable of defending themselves better than animals anyway.&nbsp; That's not to say if a bad guy broke into my house and made me choose who I wanted to live, my brother or my dog, that I would choose the dog - I wouldn't.&nbsp; Human life always wins over other animal life.&nbsp; But that's not going to dictate how I emotionally respond to certain things.&nbsp; I can't help it if a dead dog would make me cry a lot sooner than a dead human - that's simply the way I am wired, and I make no apologies for it.&nbsp; It doesn't have to be rational, it's just the way it is and that's why if you don't understand it, you probably never will.&nbsp; I never shed a tear over the 9-11 victims, but I bawled like a baby when I read about the one security dog for the towers that was killed that day.&nbsp; I can't help my physiological responses.&nbsp;

And I don't think a warning was necessary for this post, but I appreciated it nonetheless.&nbsp; I refused to see &quot;I Am Legend&quot; because I learned that the dog died.&nbsp; Which leads me to...

What I don't understand - and maybe some of you guys (or Kara lol) could explain it to me, is why &quot;sensitive&quot; is lobbied about here like it's such a bad thing.&nbsp; Surely there are SOME things left in this world that happen that you don't want to become unfazed by?&nbsp; I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to certain things - okay, many things - and that's just the way I'm made.&nbsp; Seriously, sometimes I feel like some of you guys (and I'm not directing this specifically toward you Ron, but guys in general) would point and laugh at a kid for crying over his dead mother.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Well you summed ( noveled) it up nicely.

[quote author=SuzySteamboat link=topic=11840.msg677896#msg677896 date=1199247657]
    Why does it make you wonder?&nbsp; It all goes back to the &quot;innocence&quot; factor IMO.&nbsp; Why is the rape of a child considered so much worse than the rape of a teen or an adult?&nbsp; Why is a 12-year-old's suicide considered more tragic than a 21-year-old's?&nbsp; Humans tend to rank tragedy based on the innocence of the victim - the rape of a college student = disgusting.&nbsp; The rape of a prostitute = wrong, but people will not necessarily be as sympathetic towards the victim.&nbsp;

I consider animal abuse worse than the abuse of humans for the simple fact that humans have weapons, and all the other animals have is what nature gave them.&nbsp; A dog's bite cannot compare to a gun.&nbsp; Some people may think that's ass-backwards, but I don't really care.&nbsp; I've experienced some things at the hands of other humans that animals could not even begin to try to think to do to me.&nbsp; Therefore, I champion their cause as opposed to humans, who are generally capable of defending themselves better than animals anyway.&nbsp; That's not to say if a bad guy broke into my house and made me choose who I wanted to live, my brother or my dog, that I would choose the dog - I wouldn't.&nbsp; Human life always wins over other animal life.&nbsp; But that's not going to dictate how I emotionally respond to certain things.&nbsp; I can't help it if a dead dog would make me cry a lot sooner than a dead human - that's simply the way I am wired, and I make no apologies for it.&nbsp; It doesn't have to be rational, it's just the way it is and that's why if you don't understand it, you probably never will.&nbsp; I never shed a tear over the 9-11 victims, but I bawled like a baby when I read about the one security dog for the towers that was killed that day.&nbsp; I can't help my physiological responses.&nbsp;

And I don't think a warning was necessary for this post, but I appreciated it nonetheless.&nbsp; I refused to see &quot;I Am Legend&quot; because I learned that the dog died.&nbsp; Which leads me to...

What I don't understand - and maybe some of you guys (or Kara lol) could explain it to me, is why &quot;sensitive&quot; is lobbied about here like it's such a bad thing.&nbsp; Surely there are SOME things left in this world that happen that you don't want to become unfazed by?&nbsp; I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to certain things - okay, many things - and that's just the way I'm made.&nbsp; Seriously, sometimes I feel like some of you guys (and I'm not directing this specifically toward you Ron, but guys in general) would point and laugh at a kid for crying over his dead mother.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Suzy I think has to do more with the lack of sensitivity regarding many human tragedies. See from my point of view when a child passes, it never got to grow, become who it was supposed to be. It also has a more tragic effect for those close to a child than when an animal dies. These effects last forever. That is why we not only mourn for the child, but for the parents, brothers and sisters in it's life. Same thing goes for when an adult passes(minus the innocence factor of course) People can always get a new dog. I understand what you are getting at with your innocence argument and thank you for replying so I could gain a better understanding as to why many people feel the way you do.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg677912#msg677912 date=1199248134]
    My eyes roll out of my head with regards to your glaring hypocrisy concerning hunting. Which once again, animals suffer longer than the pig in that video. Oh and guess what Sauce? Most people hunt for sport and then food. People hunt for entertainment, food is a byproduct. People kill animals for fun(that's what hunting is) Or let me guess, people need deer jerky to survive?&nbsp; So maybe if the people in that pig video ate the pig after then you'd be cool with it? Better talk to all your friends who hunt and shoot animals. Those animals suffer a lot longer than 2 seconds(in fact many will agree that is &quot;tortuous behavior&quot;) Is it the animals you are sad for, or does it just come down to the fact that that pig video is more in your face, more blood and more dramatic then hunting a wild boar with a bow and arrow? (which i'm sure many of your hunter friends have posted on youtube)

Oh and my response had nothing to do with reading or watching a video. It had to do with the over sensitivity towards any animal related tragedy when compared to most things involving humans.
    [/quote]

dude, we already did this, in fact i already responded to this exact thing, it was only worded differently. so i'll give you the same answer, only worded different. when (which is very rare) i hunt, i would never consider going to the back end of an animal with a chainsaw while filming it for lulz on the net. i have many times defended the rights to hunt and i have no problem with killing an animal even if it is for sport, but i would never do it specifically to torture the animal nor would i sit there and watch it live in pain. we are the top of the food chain, we should have every right to hunt as people have been doing since the beginning of people.

i dont consider myself a hunter, but i have hunted and from that experience i know the difference between what those guys did, and what i did. Native Americans had a huge respect for animals, they hunted. are you saying what those guys did to that pig is the same thing? thats ridiculous.

that shit was like an animal snuff film, you cant even compare it with hunting. its like comparing sex with rape.

There are articles about teenagers, children and even babies that are the victims of tragedies,&nbsp;

I don't get it.

[/quote]The teenagers are probably tards like the kids with the tiger. The children will grow up to be tards. &nbsp;The babies turn people into psychos (just drop by Bethany's thread) and will if allowed to progress unchecked turn into tards. But a [s]cocker spaniel[/s] Schnauzer &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;won't.

The fact that you don't understand this simple concept and that you call yourself a liberal just blows me away.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

and also...

what the hell? you act like i run with a gang of hunters, and all we do is go around hunting. im not a redneck.

[/quote]

Great points.&nbsp; I can completely relate. This was the second time I saw something on here about the death/injury of a person and a dog and the first thing I said was &quot;The poor dog!&quot;&nbsp; I do care about people.&nbsp; I cried and was completely heartbroken over 9/11 and other tragedies like that.&nbsp; But animals are so innocent, and what was Stryker doing?&nbsp; Protecting his person, doing his job, with no other hope than he'd be loved for it, and taken care of, and what did he get?&nbsp; A terrifying death by drowning.&nbsp; Hell yeah I feel way worse for him then this guy who jumped over the bridge or somebody who ODs on drugs.

And now that I know, I SO am not watching I Am Legend until it comes out on DVD and I can fast forward that part.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=11840.msg677960#msg677960 date=1199249920]
    dude, we already did this, in fact i already responded to this exact thing, it was only worded differently. so i'll give you the same answer, only worded different. when (which is very rare) i hunt, i would never consider going to the back end of an animal with a chainsaw while filming it for lulz on the net. i have many times defended the rights to hunt and i have no problem with killing an animal even if it is for sport, but i would never do it specifically to torture the animal nor would i sit there and watch it live in pain. we are the top of the food chain, we should have every right to hunt as people have been doing since the beginning of people.

i dont consider myself a hunter, but i have hunted and from that experience i know the difference between what those guys did, and what i did. Native Americans had a huge respect for animals, they hunted. are you saying what those guys did to that pig is the same thing? thats ridiculous.

that shit was like an animal snuff film, you cant even compare it with hunting. its like comparing sex with rape.
    [/quote]

Sauce, all I'm getting at is the &quot;torture&quot; and &quot;suffering&quot; which is why so many people were upset by that video. But when you look at it more deeply, other animals suffer more than that pig did. In fact hunters put up videos of their kills on the net as well. The end results of the two are the same. Animals suffer and then are killed mostly for entertainment. Method is different maybe, but like I said, the actual suffering of that pig is less than most of the animals hunted. So is it really about the animal suffering? Also the people didn't cut that pigs head off to see an animal suffer. They did it for entertainment. The same base reason most people hunt. Would I do that? No. Would I seek out videos like that to watch? No. However I honestly don't think it's that different then hunting for deers. I guess this is where are disagreement lies.

Also I asked this before, but does anyone know the context of that video? Was that pig on a personal farm? etc etc

Also I don't care if people hunt or not. I'm not against hunting.

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg677953#msg677953 date=1199249718]
    Suzy I think has to do more with the lack of sensitivity regarding many human tragedies. See from my point of view when a child passes, it never got to grow, become who it was supposed to be. It also has a more tragic effect for those close to a child than when an animal dies. These effects last forever. That is why we not only mourn for the child, but for the parents, brothers and sisters in it's life. Same thing goes for when an adult passes(minus the innocence factor of course) People can always get a new dog. I understand what you are getting at with your innocence argument and thank you for replying so I could gain a better understanding as to why many people feel the way you do.
    [/quote]

As much As I loooove animals. A child's death effects me much more.&nbsp; ( or elderly murdered people).&nbsp; Really any human that died tragically and innocently, effects me. When I come to MDS, i know it is about humans,&nbsp; not so much animals.&nbsp; I am always more prepared for the humans.....

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg677978#msg677978 date=1199250957]
    Sauce, all I'm getting at is the &quot;torture&quot; and &quot;suffering&quot; which is why so many people were upset by that video. But when you look at it more deeply, other animals suffer more than that pig did. In fact hunters put up videos of their kills on the net as well. The end results of the two are the same. Animals suffer and then are killed mostly for entertainment. Method is different maybe, but like I said, the actual suffering of that pig is less than most of the animals hunted. So is it really about the animal suffering? Also the people didn't cut that pigs head off to see an animal suffer. They did it for entertainment. The same base reason most people hunt. Would I do that? No. Would I seek out videos like that to watch? No. However I honestly don't think it's that different then hunting for deers. I guess this is where are disagreement lies.

Also I asked this before, but does anyone know the context of that video? Was that pig on a personal farm? etc etc

Also I don't care if people hunt or not. I'm not against hunting.
    [/quote]

i see where you're coming from, but i think that if you hunted, you would know what im talking about, the difference. in hunting an animal isn't handed to you and held down while you chop it up with a chainsaw. you actually go out for hours in the wilderness, its a lot of work. you wouldn't put that much work into killing something you didn't have respect for. thats how nature intended it to be. i dont know about those youtube videos, im not so interested in hunting that i make it a hobby and watch videos of it.

i think the way and reason an animal is killed makes a huge difference. i would never wear a fur coat because i know how animals are skinned, and i dont think animals who are hunted, suffer anything like that. in the situations i've been in, the animal is always put out of its misery very quickly.

i dont really think the context of that video matters, even if it took place on a farm, that isn't generally how things are done on a farm or in hunting. it was clearly intended to hurt that animal for shits and giggles because no &quot;professional&quot; would go to the back end of an animal with a chainsaw of all things.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=11840.msg677992#msg677992 date=1199252271]
    i see where you're coming from, but i think that if you hunted, you would know what im talking about, the difference. in hunting an animal isn't handed to you and held down while you chop it up with a chainsaw. you actually go out for hours in the wilderness, its a lot of work. you wouldn't put that much work into killing something you didn't have respect for. thats how nature intended it to be. i dont know about those youtube videos, im not so interested in hunting that i make it a hobby and watch videos of it.

i think the way and reason an animal is killed makes a huge difference. i would never wear a fur coat because i know how animals are skinned, and i dont think animals who are hunted, suffer anything like that. in the situations i've been in, the animal is always put out of its misery very quickly.

i dont really think the context of that video matters, even if it took place on a farm, that isn't generally how things are done on a farm or in hunting. it was clearly intended to hurt that animal for shits and giggles because no &quot;professional&quot; would go to the back end of an animal with a chainsaw of all things.
    [/quote]

Understandable.

Also I have been on hunts before. My cousins own land in Texas where they hunt wild boars and deers. They actually hunt more with bow and arrows. So I know hunting is mostly one big waiting game.. I have also been quail hunting and basically grew up as a kid ocean fishing so I understand what you are saying regarding &quot;a hunt&quot;

I refused to see &quot;I Am Legend&quot; because I learned that the dog died.
    [/quote]

[quote author=mysticgirl5 link=topic=11840.msg677969#msg677969 date=1199250397]
    And now that I know, I SO am not watching I Am Legend until it comes out on DVD and I can fast forward that part.
    [/quote]

Are you kidding me? You aren't going to watch a movie because a dog dies in it? In a FILM? Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

Wow.&nbsp;

[quote author=nerysinci link=topic=11840.msg678005#msg678005 date=1199254667]
    Are you kidding me? You aren't going to watch a movie because a dog dies in it? In a FILM? Give. Me. A. Fucking. Break.

Wow.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

thats over sensitive, haha.

i refuse to watch any disney movie because an animal always dies.&nbsp; &nbsp; mufasaaaa!

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=11840.msg678011#msg678011 date=1199255512]
    thats over sensitive, haha.

i refuse to watch any disney movie because an animal always dies.&nbsp; &nbsp; mufasaaaa!

[/quote]

I can only watch the Disney movies where the PEOPLE die.&nbsp; &nbsp;

ETA: Thank you for showing me there is some sanity left on these boards. I'm beginning to worry.&nbsp; :|

in i am legend you dont see the dog die. i thought it was a very good movie... the dog was a very important factor in the loss that wills character experienced.
    &quot;...life is not a dress rehersal: live, love, and laugh. that&#039;s all you have, girls...&quot; ashley nicole perrin.

Great. Now this is a I am legend spoiler thread. :lol:

Anyone else wanna ruin the movie for me?

[quote author=Wick link=topic=11840.msg678018#msg678018 date=1199255895]
    Great. Now this is a I am legend spoiler thread. :lol:

Anyone else wanna ruin the movie for me?
    [/quote]

dumbledore dies

sorry.

Thread Information