Thread: Capotorto Vitantonio, (27) sent wife message that he wasn't going to pull parachute cord before jumping to death

Capotorto Vitantonio, (27) sent wife message that he wasn't going to pull parachute cord before jumping to death

Capotorto Vitantonio went to the Skydive Deland to go skydiving on Tuesday. He sent his wife a message before jumping to his death.

A skydiver in Florida sent his wife a video on Tuesday saying he was "not going to pull the cord" moments before jumping to his death, police said.

Capotorto Vitantonio, 27, was at Skydive DeLand, 22 miles southwest of Daytona Beach, about 10 a.m. when he jumped from a plane and didn't pull the cord to open his parachute, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

DeLand Police released a revised report Friday saying Vitantonio's wife, Costansa Litellini, 25, received a video from her husband saying he was "not going to pull the cord and that he was going somewhere wonderful." She ran into the skydiving center begging the employees to radio the plane to stop her husband. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/16...-to-death.html
    Volusia County, Florida marriage records show that the Italian-born veteran skydiver who texted a farewell video to his wife moments before plunging from a plane committed suicide only days before the couple would have celebrated their second wedding anniversary.

According to police reports, Vitantonio Capotorto, 27, never deployed his parachute after jumping from 13,500 feet above DeLand, Florida, on the morning of July 11. Moments before, he sent a foreboding video to wife Costanza Zitellini.

?He was telling me to be happy because where he is going will be an amazing place,? Zitellini wrote in a statement given to responding officer Thomas Gillan of the DeLand Police Department. Records show the couple married July 18, 2015.

The moment she received her husband?s message saying that he would not pull the ripcord during his jump, Zitellini rushed to Skydive DeLand, where she frantically begged employee Tara-Marie Richards for help.

?Vitantonio showed up at Skydive DeLand for load 1 of the day. He seemed normal,? Richards wrote in her statement to police. ?The aircraft reached altitude and Vitantonio exited the aircraft. While he was in the air, his wife ran into the office saying, ?Don?t let him jump.? She had a message from him telling her that he was not going to pull. Unfortunately, it was too late. Vitantonio already exited the aircraft.?

First responders soon located Capotorto?s body lying face down in an open field near the facility, known as one of the nation?s busiest skydiving hubs. Orlando?s WKMG-TV reports that Capotorto?s death was the fourth in five years at the facility, founded in 1982.

?We are the skydive capital of the world,? Chris Graham, public information officer for the City of DeLand told PEOPLE. ?Any time you have a lot of jumps, you?re going to have injuries and, unfortunately, fatalities.?

Graham noted that Capotorto?s death is being investigated as a suicide and that there is no pending investigation as to the safety of Skydive DeLand.

Statistics from the United States Parachute Association show that in 2016, 21 skydiving fatalities occurred out of upward of 3.2 million jumps. Those figures reflect one fatality per 153,557 jumps.

Graham noted that Capotorto?s death comes on the heels of another loss for the local skydiving community. Just last month, DeLand Police Officer Constantine Procos, a former skydiving instructor, and brother of Marc Procos, general manager of United Parachute Technologies where Capotorto and Zitellini worked together, died of complications from a double lung transplant.

?They?ve had some heartbreak of late,? Graham said. ?They?re a pretty tight-knit community and it?s a tragedy that something like this would occur.?
    http://people.com/human-interest/sky...g-anniversary/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Heartbreaking

"Those figures reflect one fatality per 153,557 jumps."
    Thats more then i woulda thought.....until i read this.

"Odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."
    I dont wanna drive anymore 😨

I read about this last week. It made me nauseous just thinking about it because I am deathly afraid of heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly-Jane View Post
    "Those figures reflect one fatality per 153,557 jumps."
    Thats more then i woulda thought.....until i read this.

"Odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."
    I dont wanna drive anymore 😨

It'd be interesting to check sky dive stats in Australia & compare them to those numbers because the sky dive place at Wilton, south of Sydney, has just had another fatality this month. They seem to have a few at that place (or maybe I just notice them more because I used to be kind of local).

I think the most recent one was a tandem dive gone wrong & was reported to emergency services because they landed in some poor bastards driveway.

Just checked & I don't think we have a thread on the most recent one

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...cident/8712020

But we do have an article on one from 2012

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/...hile_skydiving

I also found a news article on Wilton's "tragic history" of skydive accidents - 6 fatalities in 16 yrs. It's hard to know whether they have a higher than average rate without knowing how many jumps they do a year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...camera/8712748

Apparently the guys who died this month had a gopro on their fatal jump, but the footage will probably be withheld & only shown at the inquest.

Also, from that link, 16 yrs ago there were two separate fatalities there in a single day

"In 2001 another two men died on the same day. Remarkably, police were attending the first incident when the second one happened right in front of them."
    Looking back, I have a feeling that it was Wilton that put me off sky diving. The place has been there since I was a kid & I'm almost positive there were deaths before 2001.

I feel like there are more deaths out there than what this article says, but maybe not because I can't find them now. I feel like every time I watch the local news there is something going on out there. My husband wants to jump, and I have put my foot down on him doing it in Deland. Other people we know have jumped in Titusville vs Deland, because they felt it was a safer and better run place.

I found this article that says they had 10 fatalities between 2005 and 2015.
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...ps-more-deaths
    Skydive DeLand has more jumps, more deaths

We have a thread on one of the deaths from 2015:
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ghlight=deland

And there seem to be lots of article like this where people get hurt, but not killed:
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...210-story.html
    Russian skydiver flown to hospital after making hard landing in DeLand, cops say

I get thrill seeking...I do my fare share of things that others think is 'scary'...but I definitely side eye the Deland skydiving scene.

What a horrible way to go. Wonder what cause him to make that decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    What a horrible way to go. Wonder what cause him to make that decision?
    Maybe he wanted to give himself an out in case he changed his mind. I once read something about suicide jump survivors having a midair change of heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    A friend of a friend of mine skydives at Deland all the time, he may even be an instructor there. What a crazy way to commit suicide, seems like it would be incredibly painful if you managed to survive, like that girl in Oklahoma did (not committing suicide, parachute failure)

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Thread Information