Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Russian teenagers committing suicide as part of 'Blue Whale' social media game

Russian teenagers committing suicide as part of 'Blue Whale' social media game

Russians still be crazy.

Police in Russia are investigating a rush of teenage suicide attempts amid fears that they may have been manipulated by sinister social media groups.

Two schoolgirls fell to their deaths from a building on the weekend prompting fears they were influenced into doing it by games masters behind a craze called Blue Whale.

Teenagers complete tasks like cutting themselves in the build-up to them being told to kill themselves on day 50 of being involved in the game.

Two school girls Yulia Konstantinova, 15, and Veronika Volkova, 16, fell to their deaths on Sunday from the roof of an apartment block in industrial Ust-Ilimsk.

Today a girl named only as Ekaterina, 15, was critically injured after falling onto snowy ground from a flat in the city of Krasnoyarsk, also Siberia.

Two days earlier, a 14-year-old girl from Chita was reported to have thrown herself under a commuter train.

In all cases state investigators are probing whether a controversial web 'suicide game' has influenced the girls to seek to take their lives.

Yulia left a note saying 'End' on her social page and earlier she had posted a picture with big blue whale, seen as a symbol of a social media movement encouraging children to take their own lives.

Her friend Veronika wrote: 'Sense is lost... End.'

She regularly posted sad messages such as, 'Do you feel that gradually you become useless?' or 'I'm just a ghost'.

It was reported that two teenage boys were detained by police at the scene after allegedly filming the tragic double suicide.

The Russian Investigative Committee has opened a probe on 'incitement to suicide' regarding the pair's death.

'Investigators checked the scene, the homes of the minors, and interviewed relatives and friends of the victims, to establish the motives,' said a statement.

'Particular attention during the investigation of the criminal case will be given to the study of their social contacts on the Internet.'

In Krasnoyarsk, law enforcement recently opened three criminal cases of incitement to suicide involving schoolgirls via the groups in social media.

In all these cases, the teenagers were rescued.

One local school director told police he had received an anonymous call saying a student had joined a 'group of death' and planned soon to kill herself.

The police identified the girl who explained that had had joined a 'game' in social media network 'Vkontakte', and had been given 'tasks' by the administrator of the group.

She was told to cut certain words on her hands and search for a high-rise building from which she could jump.

She did not obey the commands - but there are fears that others did.

Support for sufferers

For confidential support call the Samaritans on ,1 (800) 273-TALK visit a local Samaritans branch or see www.samaritansusa.org for details.

In the UK, contact HOPELine UK helplines services on 0800 068 41 41, text 07786 209 697, or email pat@papyrus-uk.org.

In the Chita case, transport police confirmed that the so-called suicide game 'Blue Whale' is seen as a possible 'cause of death'.

A second girl had made plans to kill herself with the dead teenager, but changed her mind at the last moment.

Teenagers are urged to use a knife or razor to make the shape of a whale on their wrist or leg, say Russian reports.

They are also urged to watch horror movies all day, and to wake themselves at 4.20am, steps leading up to demands to take their own lives on the 50th day of being in the game.

There was deep concern last year when there were fears that the sinister masterminds could be behind at least 130 suicides across Russia.

After the arrest of a supposed ringleader, there was a reduction in cases, but now there is major new fear of vulnerable teenagers being swayed by the barbaric death social media accounts.

Investigative newspaper Novaya Gazeta reported last year: 'We have counted 130 suicides of children that took place between Novermber 2015 to April 2016.

'Almost all these children were members of the same internet groups and lived in good, happy families.'

It went on: 'We know absolutely for sure is that adults are working with children, with the help of knowledge of their habits and passions, using their favourite language and culture,' reported the newspaper.

'They know psychology well, they convince girls that they are 'fat', tell boys that they are 'losers' in this world. And that there is another world and they will be among the chosen.'

A report on Ren TV said that an internal report by the FSB secret service, once headed by Vladimir Putin, 'indicated that the problem of provoking suicides among underage children via Internet is really serious'.

Last year an alleged ringleader named as 21-year-old Philip Budeikin was detained, and he has been charged with organising eight groups between 2013 and 2016 which 'promote suicide'.

Some 15 teenagers committed suicide, and another five were rescued at the last moment, according to the case against him.

Children are told on such social media that 'the best things in life start with the letter 'S' - semiya (family), Saturday, sex, suicide.'

A song tells them: 'We have left for the open space, we have nothing left in this world.'

The children are asked: 'How many dull days like this are you going to drag yourself through?'

A picture of an approaching train has a sign: 'This world is not for us.'

A photograph of teens on a roof is captioned: 'We are children of the dead generation.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4ZvcZlbIe

Wow. That is a really great carving.

Everyone jumping off buildings. I wonder if the name of the group has any connection to the whale in the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow, that is strangeness. Poor girls.

Creepy and sad. reminds me of the elevator game ( its made up ) but the elevator game is less fatal. i can't agree with the '' Russians still crazy '' thats a mean thing to say and ever checked up Chinese youth or youth overall?

Here in Colorado we had 5 teen suicides within one month in Pueblo followed by 3 within the past 2 weeks here in Colorado Springs. No word if they are connected or just 8 coincidences but it's worrisome when I think of issues my 15 year old is dealing with currently. My heart goes out to the parents/families of these teens in Russia.

Heartbreaking :(

I got extremely curious, as this is the first i've heard of Blue Whale; snopes.com claims there's no direct link and that Russia has a high suicide rate to begin with. Has any one heard of this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Tic View Post
    Creepy and sad. reminds me of the elevator game ( its made up ) but the elevator game is less fatal. i can't agree with the '' Russians still crazy '' thats a mean thing to say and ever checked up Chinese youth or youth overall?
    Half my family comes from that neck of the woods, I'm not going to lie - they are pretty batshit crazy.

This is so stupid. Seems like its some kind of hypnosis thing.i wonder if these kids had mental issues before hand or what?

Imo Ukraine youth is even worse. Remember the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs ?

I do believe that, there sure is a high suicide rate in Russia.

I can't edit my reply but i do know that Snopes isn't always right so who knows if they're right in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Becomes_Her View Post
    Heartbreaking :(

I got extremely curious, as this is the first i've heard of Blue Whale; snopes.com claims there's no direct link and that Russia has a high suicide rate to begin with. Has any one heard of this before?
    I felt like this story read like an urban legend in ways.

Here is the link to the Snopes page Death_Becomes_Her mentioned that says it's unproven but perhaps it can change http://www.snopes.com/blue-whale-game-suicides-russia/

I couldn't find much us other than articles that quote what Olivia posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Tic View Post
    Imo Ukraine youth is even worse. Remember the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs ?
    Yep. Majority of my relatives are from the Ukraine, but also a load from Russia as well. Batshit the lot of them!

ok so snopes says that there are no ties between these suicides and the blue whale game, but how about the self harm ''paintings'' of a whale? and the suicide letters, or lets say words like #end.

i'll try to see if i can find something, or some closure., this to me is very interesting.

Here’s How The ‘Blue Whale’ Suicide Game Is Killing Teens On Social Media

There is a frightening trend appearing on social media sites in Russia and spreading across the world, involving a suicide game called ‘Blue Whale’ where participants win by dying.

Fears are rising across Russia and the Central Asian countries of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, over online games said to be driving teenagers to commit suicide.

THE SHOCKING GAME – (“СИНИЙ КИТ”) GOES BY A FEW NAMES:

– SINIY KIT (“ A BLUE WHALE ”,” СИНИЙ КИТ “),

– TIKHIY DOM (“ A QUIET HOUSE/A SILENT HOUSE ”, ” ТИХИЙ ДОМ “,” #ТИХИЙДОМ “),

– MORE KITOV (“ A SEA/A BUNCH OF WHALES ”,” МОРЕ КИТОВ “,” #МОРЕКИТОВ “),

– F53, F57, F58 AND RAZBUDI MENYA V 4:20 (“ WAKE ME UP 4.20 AM ”,” РАЗБУДИ МЕНЯ В 420 “,” #РАЗБУДИМЕНЯВ420 “).

Although it’s hard to say exactly where and when this alarming trend started surfacing online, Russia’s Investigative Committee did announce an arrest linked to the game, which was discovered on the VKontakte social network. Spokesperson for Russia’s Investigative Committee Svetlana Petrenko told TASS that after conducting an investigation, a criminal case on charges of instigating suicide was launched.

RBTH reports, “According to the investigators, from December 2013 to May 2016, the perpetrators established eight virtual groups on the VKontakte social network to promote suicidal behavior and drive underage users to commit suicide.”

The underlying premise of the game is as follows: you sign up and are given an administrator, or curator, assigned to you. This curator gives you things to do, over the course of 50 days, and you must send proof that you have carried out their demands. At the end of the 50 days, you win by committing suicide.

ONE CORRESPONDENT FROM RFE/RL WANTED TO SEE HOW THE BLUE WHALE GAME WORKED, SO THEY CREATED A FAKE PROFILE OF A 15-YEAR OLD GIRL, ON THE VKONTAKE SITE. THE FOLLOWING IS A TRANSCRIPTION OF THEIR ONLINE CONVERSATION:

“I want to play the game.”

“Are you sure? There is no way back,” responded a so-called curator of the Blue Whale game.

“Yes. What does that mean — no way back?”

“You can’t leave the game once you begin.”

“I’m ready.” Then the curator explained the rules.

“You carry out each task diligently, and no one must know about it. When you finish a task, you send me a photo. And at the end of the game, you die. Are you ready?”

“And if I want to get out?”

“I have all your information. They will come after you.”

The first task given to the corespondent was to scratch “F58” into her arm. They tried to fool the curator with a photoshopped image, but the curator ceased to respond.

Over the course of about a week, RFE/RL managed to contact more than a dozen self-proclaimed current and former players and several curators.

“I am your personal whale,” another curator wrote, explaining that the game consisted of 50 tasks spread over 50 days. “I will help you take the game all the way to the end. The last day is the end of the game. If you die, you win. If you don’t, we will help you. Are you ready?”

The curator then promised to send the first task at 4:20 a.m. But by then, the curator’s account had been blocked.

Russian authorities believe the man behind this horrible creation is Filip Budeikin, who is currently facing charges for driving at least 15 teenagers to commit suicide.

In a disturbing interview with the saint-petersburg.ru media outlet, Budeikin admitted the real number was 17 and said his victims “died happy. I gave them that which they did not have in their real life: warmth, understanding, connection.”

One such victim was Galina Sibiryakova, a 19-year-old from Karaganda. She was found dead on Feb. 7 by her parents. The family claimed the teenager used her phone to stay in constant contact with someone on Skype, reports Astana Times.

Currently, authorities in Kazakhstan have blocked access to the “death groups” on social media, and in Central Asia, Kazakh Interior Minister Kalmukhanbet Kasymov has called for creating a national database of social-media users. In the capital of Kyrgyzstan, police have begun searching through schools to check children for signs of cutting or for suspicious messages on their phones.

While this may seem like an overreaction to some, others find the actions taken by authorities to be justified. Blocking of any sites with hashtags #SeaOfWhales, #BlueWhales, #WhalesSwimUpwards and #WakeMeUpAt420, as well as #F58, and many others has already begun.

Suicide is a real issue in these countries, and the children who fall victim to this game are lied to and led by a fear that someone will come after them or their family if they don’t follow the rules. One teenager reported receiving a message that stated, “Your mother won’t reach the bus stop tomorrow.”

Another participant who referred to himself as Ivan said he tried to quit the game by blocking his curator. However he later received a message from another curator saying, “You can’t hide from us.” Ivan blocked that account too and had no further issues, nor did he receive any more messages.

Despite the threats that many Blue Whale players have received, there have been no reported incidents of any kind related to the game outside the virtual world.

It might not be easy to understand what draws kids into these types of games, but the signs of a suicidal child can be recognized if you know where to look. Thankfully, the Youth Suicide Prevention Program has outlined some of the more noticeable characteristics found in depressed or suicidal teens.

Most suicidal young people don’t really want to die; they just want their pain to end. About 80% of the time, people who kill themselves have given definite signals or talked about suicide. The key to prevention is to know these signs and what to do to help.

A previous suicide attempt
    Current talk of suicide or making a plan
    Strong wish to die or a preoccupation with death
    Giving away prized possessions
    Signs of depression, such as moodiness, hopelessness, withdrawal
    Increased alcohol and/or other drug use
    Hinting at not being around in the future or saying good-bye

AS ALWAYS, YOU SHOULD TAKE ANY MENTION OF SUICIDE SERIOUSLY, AND REACH OUT TO THESE RESOURCES FOR MORE INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE ON WHAT TO DO IN THESE SITUATIONS.

YT link from Russia Today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZiV49EDcg0

I wonder if she outlined that whale, for her to get it to look that good.
    Why are they only targeting girls? Kinda odd their not going for the boys too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Rivers View Post
    I wonder if she outlined that whale, for her to get it to look that good.
    Why are they only targeting girls? Kinda odd their not going for the boys too.
    its a little piece of art. i was blown away by it.

Russian here. Not all suicides blamed on the game are girls, lots of boys too. I feel like it's part urban legend part mass hysteria part real suicide groups. It started after this girl killed herself and became a minor, well, celebrity on imageboards and sucial networks. Kids going through her photos and trying to find exactly same backpack or headphones to buy, etc, kids posing on train tracks for instagram, you get the idea. Someone decided to use the hype to advertise their group on social media, and it all went from there. These "suicide groups" are mostly a bunch of pages on social networks with depressing photos and quotes. I feel like there are copycat suicides too - these teen deaths are widely covered in russian press and teens who are already depressed might like the attention the deceased get. There was a suicide like that in my town, a 15 y.o. girl who covered a balcony with sad quotes and jumped, but her friends said she had been contemplating suicide for quite some time before the whole craze started.

There was something similar in late 00s when sensationalist press decided that the whole emo thing was crazy dangerous.

If anyone is interested I can upload posts and pictures from these groups to give you the idea what "aesthetics" these kids are into.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsandcages View Post
    Russian here. Not all suicides blamed on the game are girls, lots of boys too. I feel like it's part urban legend part mass hysteria part real suicide groups. It started after this girl killed herself and became a minor, well, celebrity on imageboards and sucial networks. Kids going through her photos and trying to find exactly same backpack or headphones to buy, etc, kids posing on train tracks for instagram, you get the idea. Someone decided to use the hype to advertise their group on social media, and it all went from there. These "suicide groups" are mostly a bunch of pages on social networks with depressing photos and quotes. I feel like there are copycat suicides too - these teen deaths are widely covered in russian press and teens who are already depressed might like the attention the deceased get. There was a suicide like that in my town, a 15 y.o. girl who covered a balcony with sad quotes and jumped, but her friends said she had been contemplating suicide for quite some time before the whole craze started.

There was something similar in late 00s when sensationalist press decided that the whole emo thing was crazy dangerous.

If anyone is interested I can upload posts and pictures from these groups to give you the idea what "aesthetics" these kids are into.
    This is how I take it too - very mediacentric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Slightly almost OT, almost not-?... I couldn't help but be reminded of this thread while reading this article, some weirdly worded parallels the way they chose to write about the whales here:
    http://www.popsci.com/humpback-whale...m=&utm_source=

Humpback whales are organizing in huge numbers, and no one knows why
    It flies in the face of typical humpback behavior

The world is ending and only the whales know. At least, that’s one explanation. Humpback whales are normally pretty solitary—scientists used to call groups of 10 to 20 “large.” Now they’re congregating in groups of 20 to 200 off the coast of South Africa. Something is definitely going on here, but so far experts are stumped.

In fact, Humpback whales aren't supposed to be hanging out in that region in the first place. Humpbacks migrate up to tropical waters to breed, but they typically feed down south in the icy waters of Antarctica this time of year. Yet scientific expeditions keep seeing these super-pods (not to be confused with super PACs, which are equally giant but much more dangerous), which were finally compiled and published at the beginning of March in the journal PLOSone. The researchers have a few ideas about why the humpbacks are organizing, but no clear answers yet. So far the consensus seems to be: this is pretty freakin’ weird.

Most of the whales seem to be young, begging the question of whether the western coast of South Africa is like the humpback version of the local mall for tween whales. They’re just looking for a fishy Orange Julius, or perhaps a krill-based Panda Express to hang out at on a Saturday afternoon. Because it’s not like 200 whales—each weighing about 65,000 pounds—can feed just anywhere.

Congregations of whales usually indicate parts of the ocean that are especially productive. There has to be a dense concentration of prey to support that many humpbacks. And yes, the word “prey” might sound strange for a species known for singing songs and being friendly to other mammals. Lest we forget, humpback whales do hunt for their food. They’re not vegetarians. They eat everything from krill to plankton to small fish, regardless of whether they speak whale. They even have a specialized way of hunting where they gang up on schools of fish to try to eat them all at once. It’s called bubble net feeding. The humpbacks divide up, some swirling around a group of fish and some blowing air, such that the circling whales can drive their victims into a net made of bubbles. This confuses the fish, trapping them inside, until one whale sounds the call and they all rush in, mouths agape, swimming upwards through the teeming mass of fish.

Since they spend a lot of time alone, humpbacks can perform a similar maneuver on their own. And some humpbacks don’t even know how to bubble net feed. It’s not intrinsic—it’s a learned behavior. Some pods know how to do it and some don’t. Dolphins have a similar hunting pattern where they squeeze groups of fish into a small area, then take turns darting through to feed. And hey, humpbacks have been known to swim around and interact with bottlenose dolphins, so maybe there’s some big information exchange going on in the seas that we’re unaware of.

These enormous whale congregations are clearly for feeding, at least in part, but no one is really sure why there are so many of them. It seems to be a recent phenomenon unique to the last five years or so, so it could be that burgeoning whale populations are enabling these teeming masses yearning to breath free. At one point about 90 percent of the world’s humpbacks had been hunted down, but they've been on the rise since becoming a protected species in 1996. Maybe humpbacks were always this social, and there just weren’t enough of them for us to notice.

Or maybe they just weren’t doing it in areas where we could see them. If hundreds of whales were gathering smack in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, we probably wouldn't see or hear them (even though their songs can be heard from 20 miles away). And if a whale sings in the ocean and there’s no one there to hear it, it definitely still made a sound.
    Perhaps they’re trying to tell us something, Like the dolphins who do a double-backward somersault through a hoop while whistling the Star Spangled Banner, the whales may be sending us a message that we’re misinterpreting as an adorably sophisticated trick. The oceans are warming, the seas are rising, and maybe—just maybe—the whales have had enough. They’ve gathered as many young humpbacks as possible to come together and send one final message: so long, and thanks for all the krill. Or maybe they're talking to a giant space probe. Who knows.

This is our second whale focused thread. There's also the exploding whale thread (but I think I'm the only person who posts in that one )

Slightly on topic, Russian youth culture kind of fascinates me because so much of it is deadly in a totally "who gives a fuck" kind of way.

The skywalkers probably freak me out the most though

Quote Originally Posted by birdsandcages View Post
    Without clicking that link I knew exactly which decapitated corpse you were talking about. Shows you how much time I spend on Documenting Reality.

Seems like it's spreading wider

THE parents of a 15-year-old boy who believe their son took his own life as a result of a deadly internet challenge have urged families to monitor their children?s social media use.

Isaiah Gonzalez livestreamed his own suicide in the US state of Texas on Saturday.

His father, Jorge Gonzalez, found his body and a mobile phone the boy propped up on top of a shoe to broadcast his death online, according to KSAT.

Mr Gonzales and his wife Angela believe their son, who they described as happy and kindhearted, killed himself as part of the ?Blue Whale Challenge?.

The disturbing game presents itself online as a series of 50 tasks, which become increasingly macabre over 50 days.
    The tasks, which include self-mutilation and waking up at odd hours to watch horror movies, ends in suicide.

?I want them to go through their phones, look at their social media,? Mr Gonzales said in his warning to other parents. ?If they?re on that challenge already, they can catch that from happening.?

Mr Gonzales said he recently read a report about the challenge and asked his kids if they knew about it. Isaiah told his father he?d heard of it, but would never participate.

But after his death, Isaiah?s parents discovered he had been sending pictures of himself completing Blue Whale tasks to his friends, telling them that the final task would be suicide.

?They blew it off like it was a joke and if one of them would have said something, one of them would have called us, he would have been alive,? Isaiah?s sister, Scarlett Cantu-Gonzales, told KSAT.

Details about the Blue Whale challenge are scant, but it?s believed that predators typically target teens through chatrooms and social media, such as Snapchat.

Some reports suggest the challenge administrator threatens the participant if he or she does not complete the task.

Suicides tied to the challenge have been reported everywhere from Eastern Europe to Brazil, according to the Washington Post.

Several reports tie the trend back to Russia, where it is believed at least 130 people have taken their lives in connection with the online task challenge.

The Sun reports Instagram has started showing users a warning when they search for pictures relating to Blue Whale.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...bacb726e0338ea

https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.gonz...?fref=mentions

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Seems like it's spreading wider

THE parents of a 15-year-old boy who believe their son took his own life as a result of a deadly internet challenge have urged families to monitor their children?s social media use.

Isaiah Gonzalez livestreamed his own suicide in the US state of Texas on Saturday.

His father, Jorge Gonzalez, found his body and a mobile phone the boy propped up on top of a shoe to broadcast his death online, according to KSAT.

Mr Gonzales and his wife Angela believe their son, who they described as happy and kindhearted, killed himself as part of the ?Blue Whale Challenge?.

The disturbing game presents itself online as a series of 50 tasks, which become increasingly macabre over 50 days.
    The tasks, which include self-mutilation and waking up at odd hours to watch horror movies, ends in suicide.

?I want them to go through their phones, look at their social media,? Mr Gonzales said in his warning to other parents. ?If they?re on that challenge already, they can catch that from happening.?

Mr Gonzales said he recently read a report about the challenge and asked his kids if they knew about it. Isaiah told his father he?d heard of it, but would never participate.

But after his death, Isaiah?s parents discovered he had been sending pictures of himself completing Blue Whale tasks to his friends, telling them that the final task would be suicide.

?They blew it off like it was a joke and if one of them would have said something, one of them would have called us, he would have been alive,? Isaiah?s sister, Scarlett Cantu-Gonzales, told KSAT.

Details about the Blue Whale challenge are scant, but it?s believed that predators typically target teens through chatrooms and social media, such as Snapchat.

Some reports suggest the challenge administrator threatens the participant if he or she does not complete the task.

Suicides tied to the challenge have been reported everywhere from Eastern Europe to Brazil, according to the Washington Post.

Several reports tie the trend back to Russia, where it is believed at least 130 people have taken their lives in connection with the online task challenge.

The Sun reports Instagram has started showing users a warning when they search for pictures relating to Blue Whale.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...bacb726e0338ea

https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.gonz...?fref=mentions
    WTF is the point of this game!!?? Usually, ending up dead at the end of something doesn't make you the winner. It makes you an idiot. The craziest thing dumbass teenagers were doing when I was still a dumbass teenager was the game where you make your friend pass out. Fucking teenagers.

Man, this is freaky. It should be a movie. Or maybe it is. Sort of reminds me of 13 sins or would you rather. Also sort of like that black mirror episode where the people get phone calls to do the tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information