Here is another article about what happened:

http://madworldnews.com/fire-department-crash-caused/

After an eyewitness in Massachusetts saw a crash and called 911, Malden Fire Department arrived at the scene, but what was worse than the condition of the driver was what caused the crash. First responders were left in disbelief, overwhelmed, and fighting for their own safety as they tried to rescue the innocent woman who was behind the wheel. Now, her family has a warning for others.

A beautiful and young Gina Antonelli was enjoying an evening out on a party bus in Boston, celebrating her birthday with her boyfriend James Armato, 27, but things would take a turn when the couple headed home in the early hours of the morning. As Gina was driving home at approximately 2:30 a.m., she blacked out and crashed her car. When rescuers arrived on the scene, the cause of Gina’s condition and the crash that occurred become frighteningly evident.

Armato, a retired Stoneham MMA fighter known professionally as “the Joker,” was choking Gina. With the young woman’s life at risk, a Malden firefighter tried to intervene, and his own life was put in danger, as the crazed Armato tried to fight him during the incident.

Bob Ward Fox25 ✔ ‎@Bward3
James Armato, Stoneham MMA Fighter held on no bail for brutal attack on woman. I have live report #fox25 5PM
4:37 PM - 17 May 2016
16 16 Retweets 15 15 likes

According to reports, the couple had begun to argue on their ride home. Armato started choking Gina as she was driving, causing her to black out and wreck her car, but that didn’t stop Armato’s rage. He continued to strangle and beat the helpless woman. “She woke up to the horrifying reality that this MMA trained fighter was still continuously punching her and strangling her,” a GoFundMe page, set up by the victim’s sister, says.

Armato has since been arraigned in Malden District Court on strangulation, attempted murder, assault and battery on a family member, assault, and resisting arrest. He is being held without bail for the brutal attack on the woman he was supposed to love, but would have likely killed if it weren’t for the eyewitness who brought the fire department to the scene.

While Armato’s family and the L.A Fitness in Saugus, where he recently worked, have declined to comment, Gina’s family is speaking out with a warning for others. To show the seriousness of what happened to Gina, her cousin Jennifer posted a graphic picture from the hospital, explaining that “this is the extremely brutal reality of what an abusive relationship looks like. No one should ever have to go through this. This is the result of a sick and twisted excuse of a man. No more excuses, changing stories and hiding the truth.”

“My cousin is so strong, beautiful, independent and full of life and he could’ve taken all of that away from our family. I’m so unbelievably thankful that she is pulling through this. Her story needs to be shared and bring awareness to these monsters. And to warn everyone of this monster: James Armato,” the post concluded.

Gina was transported to Mass General after the attack and then Mass Eye and Ear for the injuries to her face and neck, including a fractured orbital bone and broken teeth. However, she has also finally spoken out, although she expressed humiliation over the ordeal. “What are my friends going to think of me? I’m so embarrassed that I even let this happen,” she explained.

Perhaps the embarrassment she feels is a result of ignoring the warning signs. In 2013, Armato had an arrest for similar behavior towards a different woman, but like most victims of domestic violence, Gina says, “It was always me wanting to help him and fix him.”

Unfortunately, you can’t fix this kind of monster. Luckily, Gina is alive to warn others, not just about Armato, but degenerates just like him. She hopes her story will help others get out before it’s too late, and she is telling those who are in situations like hers to “…Push for your life. Don’t live your life for somebody else.”