Thread: Melissa and Michael Mooneyhan died shielding their daughter from a tornado

Melissa and Michael Mooneyhan died shielding their daughter from a tornado

Melissa and Michael Mooneyhan met as high school students and quickly fell in love. The two were married in 2004, even before they graduated.

More than a decade later, the pair died shielding their young daughter from a tornado as the twister chewed up the family's mobile home in Nashville, Arkansas, authorities said.

The home looked "like it had exploded," said Howard County Coroner John Gray, who called the little girl's survival "a miracle." Rescuers who found the family believe the couple perished while desperately trying to protect their child.

When search crews lifted a piece of trailer debris, they found the girl squatting between her parents' bodies, awake and teary.

"I don't think she had nearly a scratch on her," said Howard County Emergency Management Coordinator Sonny Raulerson. "There wasn't enough room for her to even stand up. But she didn't try to crawl out. I don't think she wanted to leave her mama."

The Mooneyhans were among five people killed Sunday after a line of powerful tornadoes battered several small communities in Texas and Arkansas. Three people died in Texas. Scores of others were hurt, some critically.

The child, about 18 months old, was taken to the hospital and later released to relatives.

The pair died shielding their young daughter from a tornado as the twister chewed up the family's mobile home in Nashville, Arkansas, authorities said.

"That poor little girl is never going to know them," Gray added. "But she's young enough that she'll never remember what happened."

Polly McCammack, who also lives in Nashville, is Melissa's third cousin. A week ago, she said, the close-knit family lost their grandmother who "practically raised" Melissa and her siblings.

"The family has been hit hard. They're strong, but it's almost like to the point you're afraid to breathe," McCammack said.

Michael Mooneyhan worked in the deli department of the local Wal-Mart. Melissa was a stay-at-home mom doting on their daughter.

"That baby was definitely their life. They considered her their greatest blessing. You couldn't find two parents who loved a child more," McCammack said. "She's going to grow up knowing family and knowing love."

Family members went to the site of the destroyed home the next day looking for mementos, toys and anything else they could salvage for the child, McCammack said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...wister-n357826
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I heard that only 2 people in this state died from it, but didn't look up anything about it. This is amazing. Sad, but amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    FFS. So sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

A lot of parents say they would die to protect their child/children. This little girl will grow up knowing her parents DID, that they loved her more than themselves. Very sad that they had to die, but glad the child survived, thanks to these 2 heroic parents.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information