Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Gray (25) died after being arrested, prompting riots in Baltimore

Judge declared a mistrial

A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday after jurors couldn't reach a decision in the manslaughter trial of a Baltimore police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray, whose injury in police custody sparked weeks of protests and fueled the nation's scrutiny of how police treat black suspects.

William Porter's trial was the first test of prosecutors' case against six officers in a city struggling to rein in violent crime. The case hinged not on what Porter did, but what prosecutors said he didn't do. He was accused of failing to get medical help for a critically wounded Gray and was charged with manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.

The charges carried maximum prison terms totaling 25 years. It was not immediately clear whether Porter would be tried again. An administrative hearing was scheduled for Thursday to discuss a possible retrial date.

Wednesday was the third day of deliberations for the jury of seven women and five men. They deliberated for a total of about 15 hours. On Tuesday, they indicated they were deadlocked, but the judge told them to keep working.

The jurors made several requests since they began deliberating Monday. The judge has granted some and denied others, saying they were not part of the evidence. On Wednesday, they asked for a copy of a transcript from a witness, but the judge refused.

Before Williams dismissed the jurors, he told them, "You have clearly been diligent."

During deliberations Wednesday, a handful of protesters gathered outside the courthouse, chanting "send those killer cops to jail." Upon learning of the mistrial, people chanted 'No justice, no peace" and the demonstration spilled from the sidewalk and onto the street. Police officers lined the streets outside the courthouse.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake repeated calls for Baltimore residents to respect the outcome of the trial.

"In the coming days, if some choose to demonstrate peacefully to express their opinion, that is their constitutional right. I urge everyone to remember that collectively, our reaction needs to be one of respect for our neighborhoods, and for the residents and businesses of our city," she said in a statement.

Gray, who was arrested while fleeing from police, died April 19, a week after his neck was broken while the seven-block trip turned into a 45-minute journey around West Baltimore. The autopsy concluded that Gray probably suffered the injury from being slammed against the compartment's metal wall during cornering or braking.

Gray was black. Porter is also black, as are two of the other five officers charged.

It wasn't clear how the mistrial would affect the state's cases against the other officers. Prosecutors had planned to use Porter's testimony against two of his fellow officers.

Several other recent cases against police officers charged in deadly confrontations with black men have ended similarly. In August, a North Carolina jury deadlocked in the trial of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Officer Randall Kerrick. Prosecutors said they won't retry the white officer for voluntary manslaughter in the September 2013 shooting death of Jonathan Ferrell, who was unarmed.

In June, a South Carolina jury couldn't reach a verdict in the retrial of former Eutawville Police Chief Richard Combs, who is white. His lawyer said Combs acted in self-defense in the May 2011 shooting of Bernard Bailey, who was unarmed.

Combs pleaded guilty in September to misconduct in office. He was sentenced to a year of home detention.

Prosecutors in Porter's trial argued he was criminally negligent for ignoring a Baltimore Police Department policy requiring officers to seat belt prisoners, and for not calling an ambulance immediately after Gray indicated he needed medical help.

Porter, who was driving a patrol car the day Gray was arrested, was present at five of the van's six stops during its circuitous trip.

The defense said Porter went beyond the call of duty in helping the handcuffed and shackled prisoner move from the floor of the van to a bench in the wagon, and in telling the van driver and a supervisor that Gray said he needed to go to a hospital. The defense mainly cast blame on the van driver, Officer Caesar Goodson, whose trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 6.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Nati...ream&lp=12&p=1
    Last edited by luvit; 12-17-2015 at 10:04 AM.

NO!

I'm quickly losing my faith in humanity

Police officer acquitted of all charges

Freddie Gray trial: Baltimore police officer acquitted of all charges over death in custody case

A Baltimore police officer has been acquitted of all charges in the case of Freddie Gray, an African American who died in custody last year, sparking riots and fuelling debate about US police brutality.

The verdict handed down by a Baltimore judge found Edward Nero not guilty of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office.

Outside the courthouse, a crowd of about a dozen protesters greeted the verdict with chants of "no justice, no peace".

The 25-year-old Gray was arrested on April 12, 2015 after fleeing at the sight of police, and suffered a broken spine while being transported unrestrained in the back of a Baltimore police van. He died a week later.

The six police officers being tried over his death ? three white and three African Americans, including a woman ? claim it was an accident.

Mr Nero's is the second case to come to court. The first ended in a hung jury in December.

The verdict on each count "is not guilty", said Baltimore Circuit judge Barry Williams.

Mr Nero, 30, appeared to wipe his eyes, and hugged his attorneys.

The officer, who is white, chose to be tried by a judge rather than a jury. Judge Williams is black, as are two-thirds of the people of Baltimore, including its mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

Judge Williams rejected the state's argument the defendant acted corruptly or with intent regarding any of the charges made by the state of Maryland.

As for the charge of reckless endangerment, the judge said the state failed to prove Mr Nero was negligent in preventing Gray from being put in a dangerous position.

He said this applies both to when Gray was arrested and to when he was handcuffed, shackled and placed in a police van.The verdict handed down by a Baltimore judge found Edward Nero not guilty of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office.

Outside the courthouse, a crowd of about a dozen protesters greeted the verdict with chants of "no justice, no peace".

The 25-year-old Gray was arrested on April 12, 2015 after fleeing at the sight of police, and suffered a broken spine while being transported unrestrained in the back of a Baltimore police van. He died a week later.

The six police officers being tried over his death ? three white and three African Americans, including a woman ? claim it was an accident.

Mr Nero's is the second case to come to court. The first ended in a hung jury in December.

The verdict on each count "is not guilty", said Baltimore Circuit judge Barry Williams.

Mr Nero, 30, appeared to wipe his eyes, and hugged his attorneys.

The officer, who is white, chose to be tried by a judge rather than a jury. Judge Williams is black, as are two-thirds of the people of Baltimore, including its mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

Judge Williams rejected the state's argument the defendant acted corruptly or with intent regarding any of the charges made by the state of Maryland.

As for the charge of reckless endangerment, the judge said the state failed to prove Mr Nero was negligent in preventing Gray from being put in a dangerous position.

He said this applies both to when Gray was arrested and to when he was handcuffed, shackled and placed in a police van.

Judge rejects charges that Nero assaulted Gray

Judge Williams also rejected prosecutors' charges that Mr Nero arrested Gray without justification and assaulted Gray during the arrest.

The judge stated Mr Nero was not the officer that arrested Gray and "contact by the defendant was legally justified" during the course of the arrest and placement in the van.

Officer Garrett Miller testified during the five-day trial that he alone took Gray into custody after a police chase.

In perhaps the most contentious area of the Nero case, the failure to secure Gray with a seat belt in the police van, judge Williams said other officers were inside the van preparing for Gray's transport and that an officer in Mr Nero's position could "reasonably assume" his colleagues would do their job in securing Gray properly.

The mayor acknowledged the verdict, saying it would be followed by a police review and urging citizens to let the process run its course.

"This is our American system of justice and police officers must be afforded the same justice system as every other citizen in this city, state and country," Ms Rawlings-Blake said in a statement.

The next Gray-related trial will be of officer Caesar Goodson Jr, the driver of the van used to transport Gray. His trial is set to begin June 6, according to the Baltimore Sun.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-2...-death/7439484

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    This is surprising. We basically have to build more prisons for all the corrupt, murdering cops we're convicting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    This is surprising. We basically have to build more prisons for all the corrupt, murdering cops we're convicting.
    Better pass some more laws protecting poor poor police officers from being persecuted. YOU WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE JUDGE YOU FOR YOUR BLUE.

Better pass some more laws protecting poor poor police officers from being persecuted. YOU WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE SOMEONE JUDGE YOU FOR YOUR BLUE.
    If you think police officers should be held accountable maybe you should call a crackhead the next time you need help. Boom.

If you think police officers should be held accountable maybe you should call a crackhead the next time you need help. Boom.
    WORD

Is it just me, or is it EXTREMELY telling how a person being anti brutality automatically means they are anti police?

Isn't that pretty much cop groupies admitting all officers abuse their power??

Is it just me, or is it EXTREMELY telling how a person being anti brutality automatically means they are anti police?

Isn't that pretty much cop groupies admitting all officers abuse their power??
    Yep. If I do my job shitty, I don't get defended.

Yeah. I've always been pretty pro cop. Come at a cop with something that looks like it might be a gun in your hand? Don't be surprised if you get shot....

But damn. When You've got someone in cuffs and you manage to do enough damage that you kill the dude? That's not good police work. That's murder. When the webcam shows six of you beating on someone... when you attack a mailman for giving someone directions? That's just wrong and all of your "brothers" should stand up and say so...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I've had way too many encounters with police to be pro cop.

I've had way too many encounters with police to be pro cop.
    Sadly, the better you get to know "Our Friend the Policeman" the less likable he is.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

The only pro cop person left is Punker, so I guess this is directed at her.

What goes through your mind when you see posts like the ones on MDS (and these are mild)?

You basically have privileged white women saying cops make them nervous. How would you expect a male person of color to feel?

Do you think it's hyperbole? Do you think everyone else is lying? I really wonder about these things. Most people feel less comfortable when they see a police officer. That's not coincidence.

I can't imagine what it's like to hear sirens and think "wow, the police are here! It's all safe now!"

I mean it's TOTALLY different for paramedics. Police are paid to protect you. They're your personal security. The rest of us are under the boot, but then you wonder why we're upset about being under the boot.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! Could any cop groupies or bootlickers please explain?

I don't expect a response. Carry on.

What goes through your mind when you see posts like the ones on MDS (and these are mild)?

You basically have privileged white women saying cops make them nervous. How would you expect a male person of color to feel?

Do you think it's hyperbole? Do you think everyone else is lying? I really wonder about these things. Most people feel less comfortable when they see a police officer. That's not coincidence.

I can't imagine what it's like to hear sirens and think "wow, the police are here! It's all safe now!"

I mean it's TOTALLY different for paramedics. Police are paid to protect you. They're your personal security. The rest of us are under the boot, but then you wonder why we're upset about being under the boot.

I used to be pro cop to the point that I wanted to be one. Hell, I still watch all the cop shows on TV because I like to see bad people get what they deserve and the good guys win. However, that's not the real world and I know that. I've seen too many of these stories and too many videos to actually believe most cops are on our side. The one guy who was shot in the back while jogging - yes, jogging - away from the cops horrified me like few things have horrified me before.

Then, here in Buffalo, we had the Molly's Pub incident where a guy was thrown down a flight of stairs by the bar owner and later died from the injuries sustained. The cops who were working security that night covered it up and tried to get rid of the evidence. Another incident that horrified me. So, yeah, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to cops.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I used to be pro cop to the point that I wanted to be one. Hell, I still watch all the cop shows on TV because I like to see bad people get what they deserve and the good guys win. However, that's not the real world and I know that. I've seen too many of these stories and too many videos to actually believe most cops are on our side. The one guy who was shot in the back while jogging - yes, jogging - away from the cops horrified me like few things have horrified me before.

Then, here in Buffalo, we had the Molly's Pub incident where a guy was thrown down a flight of stairs by the bar owner and later died from the injuries sustained. The cops who were working security that night covered it up and tried to get rid of the evidence. Another incident that horrified me. So, yeah, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to cops.
    Yea, I wanted to too. Hell, I even took the exam. I left halfway through the orientation because the people I was surrounded by were fucking disgusting.

I wanted to actually help people, not have a career of giving out public urination tickets.

Yea, I know, I know, your town is different and your cops give people rides home, I get it. NYPD literally laugh at you if you need help. Or get angry with you. It ain't the same, camper.

ETA: that's not for nomad, it's for the first special little snowflake that decides to tell their story about a cop getting their kitten out of a tree or whatever the fuck.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 05-24-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Yea, I wanted to too. Hell, I even took the exam. I left halfway through the orientation because the people I was surrounded by were fucking disgusting.

I wanted to actually help people, not have a career of giving out public urination tickets.

Yea, I know, I know, your town is different and your cops give people rides home, I get it. NYPD literally laugh at you if you need help. Or get angry with you. It ain't the same, camper.
    Public urination. My one and only arrest.

But yea, I hear ya. And my town isn't different and neither be the town I'm moving to. Shitty people are shitty people, regardless of where they live.

Public urination. My one and only arrest.

But yea, I hear ya. And my town isn't different and neither be the town I'm moving to. Shitty people are shitty people, regardless of where they live.
    Good thing they're on the job. Everyone is safer now.

I seriously can't understand how people can still defend this shit.

Although at this point the only cheerleaders left are either cops themselves, or they have one in the family.

My friend works with the cops every day due to her job.

99% of her encounters with them are horrible. They're rude, disrespectful, they agitate the situation, they refuse to do their job, they attempt to intimidate people, they refuse to protect people, they're bullying assholes.

The 1% of pleasant cop stories are the anomalies, not the standard to base all officers on.

People don't become cops because they want to protect and serve. They become firemen when they want to do that. People become cops because they want power, they want unchecked authority, they want to intimidate people.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/us/bal...ray1059AMStory

Driver not guilty on all charges....

ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

99% of her encounters with them are horrible. They're rude, disrespectful, they agitate the situation, they refuse to do their job, they attempt to intimidate people, they refuse to protect people, they're bullying assholes.

The 1% of pleasant cop stories are the anomalies, not the standard to base all officers on.

People don't become cops because they want to protect and serve. They become firemen when they want to do that. People become cops because they want power, they want unchecked authority, they want to intimidate people.
    100% This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

This is what I never understand about the "police risk their lives to protect us" crowd.

Every single person who says that shit has a cop in their family. No one else thinks that nonsense. These people have PBA cards and special numbers to call when they need help.

Of course you'll think the police are effective if you get to call your uncle Lenny when your car is stolen. Try calling as a regular schmuck trying to get help, and watch what happens. Without the little secret handshake, they treat you like the rest of us.

I guess it's easier to believe "just comply and you'll be fine" than to believe they treat the rest of us like shit.

I'm glad I never became a cop, even though I wanted to. It wouldn't have been a good fit for me at all.

Laziness and procrastination saved me yet again.

I'm glad I never became a cop, even though I wanted to. It wouldn't have been a good fit for me at all.

Laziness and procrastination saved me yet again.
    Haha disgust saved me. I've never been around a worse group of people than when I took the NYPD exam. That's including being in lock up.

They just like the simple life. Cop: good, everyone against cop: bad. Real American people: good, refugees and immigrants: bad etc etc.

Life gets way too difficult if you do see the grey and try to form an opinion by actually thinking about and weighing the facts of every case separately.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Thread Information