Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lisa Swinton McLaughlin, 56, dies seven days after giving birth to twins.

Lisa Swinton McLaughlin, 56, dies seven days after giving birth to twins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...de-trying.html

New mom, 56, dies seven days after giving birth to twins following a decade spent trying to have a child

A new mom died seven days after giving birth to twins following more than 30 years of longing to have children.

Lisa Swinton McLaughlin, 56, who lived in Baltimore, Maryland, gave birth by cesarean section on December 27 to sons, Jordan and Dylan.

But she died on January 4 from a bowel obstruction - she had been in pain, but thought it was the result of the incision.

Her husband Mike McLaughlin, 67, a retiree, has not only lost his wife, but he must now face raising their two sons alone, reports Omaha.com.

He says Mrs McLaughlin who was medical director for the American Red Cross in Baltimore, Maryland, had longed for children for the past 30 years.

The couple spent a decade trying different types of fertility treatments and were delighted when Mrs McLaughlin became pregnant last year.

She developed gestational diabetes during the pregnancy, but it was monitored closely by her doctors.

In December she started bed rest because the size of one twin was causing a blood-flow problem.

And on December 27, she gave birth by cesarean section to Jordan, three pounds and three ounces, and Dylan, three pounds.

'She was just on cloud nine,' Mr McLaughlin said.

'That's the happiest I've probably seen her in my life.'

'She wanted what every other woman had, and that?s children.'

They were premature, but the boys were healthy and thrived in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Although she was in significant pain, Mrs McLaughlin went home on New Year's Eve - a few days later she died.

'She held the babies and was able to stroke them and love them,' her husband said.

Mr McLaughlin is hoping the twins will be able to come home soon - they both weigh four pounds.

He has hired a nanny to help take care of them and eventually plans to move home to Nebraska, where his son, other family members and friends can help out.
    Can't seem to find a Facebook for her.

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/lisa-mclaughlin/9/236/aa

Not sure how I feel about this. I get it. You want a kid. Awesome. At this age, there are far too many risks. Not to mention they now have a father who might likely be dead in a few years just from natural causes. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

she was older than my mom and my mom is a grandma. jesus. and to go out because you didn't get checked when you noticed something wrong? uh, nevermind - i'm one to talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Too old. I said it. Especially her husband. Still sad, but I feel the most sorry for the babies. Their dad will be well into his 70s when they start kindergarten. :/

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    67 with twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I have mixed feelings, but at the end of the day I feel bad for them. Considering we have trash in this country that kill their infants and starve their children. The people who would die to have kids, can't. Or they can't until it's too late.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

OK sees too old but wow she waited her entire life for those few days ! Thats soul crushing. Make me feel bad for being able to have children and choosing (so far) not too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly-Jane View Post
    OK sees too old but wow she waited her entire life for those few days ! Thats soul crushing. Make me feel bad for being able to have children and choosing (so far) not too.
    Why in the world would you feel guilty for not having kids if you haven't wanted to do so up till now???

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Not me.
    NOT ME EITHER! Choosing not to have kids was one of the best decisions I ever made!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    NOT ME EITHER! Choosing not to have kids was one of the best decisions I ever made!
    We share a motherfucking brain. Seriously.

As for this instance, yeah. It's sad. Tragic. But they were WAY too old to be doing this. Why not adopt ten years ago after trying for 20 years? I'm sure they would have been prime candidates for it! I get wanting your own kids, but isn't raising children the main reason for wanting kids? At that age, to insist on having your own, you're doing it just as an ego trip. To see what they would look like. There's no other reason knowing the risks to both Mother and child and knowing you'll probably not have enough energy to keep up with them in ten years.

Some people think being in your 40s is too old. I disagree. I think the limit stops there though. In your 50s and he in his 60s..... NOPE.

Edited because it auto corrected to "Traffic" instead of "tragic"

Fucking auto correct!!!!!
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 01-26-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Dude, late sixty's. I mean, c'mon!

And yea, I always laugh when parents say child free people are self centered, when making a "mini me" and naming it after yourself has to be one of the most narcissistic things imaginable.

They couldn't adopt?? Hell, some people adopt and have bio kids too. With all the treatments going on here they obviously had adoption money.

These kids will be living with cousins within 2 months. Or left at a fire station.

I wonder why she didn't use a surrogate?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Ron, he's already planning on moving to Nebraska with the babies for his son and family members to help out.

You win another toaster.

The cousins are likely already getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Ron, he's already planning on moving to Nebraska with the babies for his son and family members to help out.

You win another toaster.

I don't blame him. Handling twins in your 20s is a challenge. At his age his biggest concern should be not breaking a hip while washing the car .

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post

You win another toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Why in the world would you feel guilty for not having kids if you haven't wanted to do so up till now???
    I have no idea , but I always feel it when people talk about being desperate for children I have perfectly good lady bits and don't inflict my spawn on the world it just seems unfair I guess

I have no idea , but I always feel it when people talk about being desperate for children I have perfectly good lady bits and don't inflict my spawn on the world it just seems unfair I guess
    My lady bits worked just fine up until I was about 30, but hubby and I had decided 10 years earlier to not have children and took care of that concern for good back then. I can honestly say that neither of us have ever felt guilty for not having kids, quite the opposite.

I have to wonder about the ethics of a fertility doc that would help someone get pregnant with twins at almost 60. I think that kind of violates the Hippocratic Oath, IMO.

If this website teaches you anything, it should teach you this. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Contrary to some religious beliefs, your lady bits aren't there for the sole purpose to procreate. Some people can't dance, some can't see, some can't do Math and some can't have babies. Fact of life.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 01-27-2015 at 10:45 AM.

A friend of mine was the baby of the family....and by that I mean, her parents had her when they were way older. Her brothers and sisters were already in their early 30's when she was born. She hated it, because when she was growing up her parents were too tired to really do anything with her. Her older brothers and sisters got that outdoor time: throwing a ball, riding bikes, etc. but she never did. I always felt bad for her and told myself I would never have kids when I'm old.

But I ended up deciding to never have kids at all anyways. My husband has 2, so I can still have the experience of raising kids but without having to go through the pain of childbirth and dealing with a screaming infant all night long

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

My parents were older when they had me, but I'm an only child. I didn't do any of that outdoor shit with them, but I didn't miss it. I went out and played with friends.

Maybe it's part why I'm not close with my mom, but I'm with Ron. I played with my friends as a kid, I never played anything with my mom.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    She died from a bowel obstruction. If she had only went to the doctor ��

I'll be 40 in a few weeks, but if I don't have kids by 42, I'll be perfectly ��. I adopted when I was young, and when those maternal urges hit, I borrow a kid.

I think part of me wants to have a kid, just so I can see how they turn out. Will they be rebellious like me? Smart? Fat? Skinny? Would they be brats? Will I spoil them? The mystery of it all is exciting. I would just need a c-section, kagina's are ugly when the baby is coming out, and it looks kinda like a cone head.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I have 2 kids and I am so glad I have them. I wouldn't be opposed to having another, but I'd want to do so before I'm 35. I used to say before 30, but now that I am 30, I pushed it out a few years.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I have 2 kids and I am so glad I have them. I wouldn't be opposed to having another, but I'd want to do so before I'm 35. I used to say before 30, but now that I am 30, I pushed it out a few years.
    I'm in my 40s and I think if I had a child now it would turn out great. I just don't want them This Woman was 56 though. That's a bit outside the boundary.

Thread Information