Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ebola Epidemic

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Dude, there are going to be 'scares' all over the fucking country because its symptoms are 'flu like' and it's flu season. I hope no one is having a medical emergency because the ERs are going to be crammed with paranoid people who are terrified thanks to the media.
    Seriously. "I don't feel good" is pretty much the beginning of everything. Not many illnesses begin with "I feel amazing!"

Ron was the best part, hands down.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Seriously. "I don't feel good" is pretty much the beginning of everything. Not many illnesses begin with "I feel amazing!"

I saw this one the other day. I have a lot of Gay and Lesbian friends and they're all like, "Sure. NOW we panic because this Virus kills everyone, not just the 'right people'". Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I saw this one the other day. I have a lot of Gay and Lesbian friends and they're all like, "Sure. NOW we panic because this Virus kills everyone, not just the 'right people'". Lol
    It's a fucking joke. I can't even take Republicans seriously anymore.

What was he supposed to do, anyway, sit outside the quarantine room with a shotgun? Have everyone who came near someone with ebola killed?

What was he supposed to do, anyway, sit outside the quarantine room with a shotgun? Have everyone who came near someone with ebola killed?
    Oh, so you've seen Conservative comment sections.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks

Love it!

So sunday was the last day for Duncan's family to be under quarantine. I guess their "release" was kept quiet? They had to be moved from the apt complex they lived at and kept somewhere else because of harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    So sunday was the last day for Duncan's family to be under quarantine. I guess their "release" was kept quiet? They had to be moved from the apt complex they lived at and kept somewhere else because of harassment.
    I thought they moved a while ago to a house belonging to a friend of the city mayor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

I know it is scary and must really suck for this guy, but I cannot help but roll my eyes at all of the name dropping he does in this. It's like "oh, I may have Ebola? Well, let me promote our books!!! That's more important!!!"

The incessant buzzing of my cell phone woke me, text after text pouring in. Rolling over in bed, I saw that the messages were from my dad. Our text conversation was as follows:

Dad: “2nd healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola…you know, the ones wearing hazmat suits.” Dad: “77 additional hospital workers quarantined in Dallas…boyfriend of nurse infected showing symptoms.” Me: “That’s not cool.” Dad: “Nope…” Me: “Wish I could get out of Dallas for a while.” Dad: “Yep.” Dad: “If it starts spreading it will go everywhere.” Dad: “What city did you fly from Monday evening?” Dad: “The nurse who has it was on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas Monday evening. Flight 1143.” Icy dread seeps through my entire body. My hands start to shake. Me: “Shut the fu** up.”

Is he screwing with me? How could he know the flight I was on Monday?

Dad: “Where did you fly from?”

I’m now fully awake. Climbing out of bed, I shrug off any last vestiges of tiredness and call my dad. He answers immediately.

“You weren’t on that flight were you?” His voice is strained.

“Dad, are you messing with me. This isn’t funny.”

“I’m not playing with you. I just read it in a CNN article.”

“Damn. That was my flight.”

“1143?”

“Yes.”

“Sh**. The CDC is saying that the nurse was asymptomatic while on the airplane, but she went to the hospital shortly after getting off. That’s pretty close. I’m sending you the article. You need to call the CDC.”

“Okay. I’m going to call my friend that was next to me on the plane. He is planning on driving to Houston today, but we need to make sure we’re isolated.”

“Okay. Call me back.”

Ending the call with my father, I dialed Taylor’s number. I had just woken to one of the worst possible nightmare scenarios I could imagine.

We had both spent the last week in Ohio at a conference for our publishing company, Ellora’s Cave. We’re both romance novel cover models and authors. I just released my novel Primal Desire last week and Taylor has released several novels over the past three years.

Upon arriving at the airport a week earlier we felt secure that there was a very low chance of contracting the Ebola virus. After all, everyone had been quarantined right?
    http://madworldnews.com/man-plane-ebola-victim/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    I did read an article earlier today. It said that she hadn't been with Duncan for 16 years and this was a "fairytale" reunion. In quarantine with her was her 13 year old son and 2 adult nephews. She has a 19 year old son with Duncan, but no word where he is.

Here's another article. Her name is Louise Troh, if you want to search some more.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-q...ry?id=26316190

the fact that two nurses are the only people to have contracted it just shows you how difficult it is to get. no one on the flight with duncan got it. none of his family members, including his fiance, who were living with him while he was ill had it.

nurses have direct contact with bodily fluids all the time. they clean up blood, piss, shit, vomit, bile. gloves are permeable, which is why the CDC wants nurses double gloving with this virus.

i'll be pretty shocked if anyone on the flight with that nurse catches it. she's a nurse, i doubt she was leaving her bodily fluids all over the place.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/he...ion/index.html

While the threat of Ebola is very real in Africa, the paranoia it's generated in the United States is unreal.
    You can could count the number of documented cases in America on two hands -- and still have fingers to spare.

There are eight confirmed cases. And in each one, the patient was either infected in Liberia or Sierra Leone, or had contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian returnee who's the sole fatality of the disease in the U.S.
    Health care professionals, both within the government and those with little reason to parrot a party line, insist that the chances of any of us catching the virus are minuscule.

If we really need something to worry about, they say, worry about getting your flu shots. From 1976 through 2007, flu-related causes killed between 3,000 and 49,000 people in the U.S.

And yet, the disproportionate hysteria over Ebola multiplies contagiously.

Relatives afraid to take in Ebola orphans Spanish nurse's aide now Ebola-free Are pets exposed to Ebola a threat?

Mel Robbins, a CNN commentator and legal analyst, has given it a name: Fear-bola.

"Fear-bola attacks the part of the brain responsible for rational thinking," she says. "It starts with a low-grade concern about the two health care workers diagnosed with Ebola in Dallas and slowly builds into fear of a widespread epidemic in the United States."

How bad is it?

So bad that nearly two thirds of those queried in a Washington Post/ABC News poll said they're concerned about an epidemic in the U.S.

So bad that the Centers for Disease Control, in the first week of October, fielded 800 calls from concerned Americans.

So bad that even after a Dallas lab worker -- who isolated herself in her cabin during a Carnival Cruise because she may have possibly handled Duncan's clinical specimen -- was cleared, the Moore, Oklahoma, Public Schools asked students and faculty who were on the same cruise not to come to school.

Here are some more examples of our overreaction:

From Nigeria? Not this year

Navarro College, a two-year college about 60 miles from Dallas, sent out rejection letters to some applicants from Nigeria because the country had a few Ebola cases.

"With sincere regret, I must report that Navarro College is not able to offer you acceptance for the Spring 2015 term," the letter read. "Unfortunately, Navarro College is not accepting international students from countries with confirmed Ebola cases."

The college called it "the responsible thing to do." "At this time, we believe it is the responsible thing to do to postpone our recruitment in those nations that the Center for Disease Control and the U.S. State Department have identified as at risk."

Incidentally, Nigeria had 19 cases, but none in the last 43 days. In fact, the World Health Organization declared it Ebola-free on Monday.

Get sick in a parking lot, force a shutdown

A woman boarded a shuttle bus in a Pentagon parking lot Thursday, got off and vomited. A hazmat team responded, the area was cordoned off, military officials going to a Marine Corps ceremony were temporarily quarantined, the woman was put into isolation. A Pentagon spokesman said it was "out of an abundance of caution." The woman didn't have Ebola.

Get sick on a plane, stay in the bathroom

A passenger who vomited in the aisle of an American Airlines plane from Dallas to Chicago was allegedly told to stay in the lavatory for the rest of the flight. "They told her to stay in the bathroom, and she stayed in the bathroom," Martha Selby, a University of Texas professor who was on the flight, told the Houston Chronicle. "They said, 'We can't let you out.'" The airlines told the paper that the woman wanted to stay in the bathroom, and that "there were no concerns related to Ebola." The woman didn't have Ebola.

Go to a conference, go on leave

An elementary school teacher in Maine was put on 21 days' leave - the incubation period for Ebola -- because she went to Dallas for an education conference. While there, she stayed at a hotel about 10 miles from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where a patient died of the disease. Still, parents were concerned, and the school district said it obliged.

Here's how the Portland Press Herald put it into perspective: About 5 million Americans passed through Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in August, the latest month for which statistics are available. The woman, of course, didn't have Ebola.

What's more contagious than Ebola? Concern about its spread

Go to a funeral, go on vacation

A middle school principal in Hazelhurst, Mississippi, who went to his brother's funeral in Africa is now on a weeklong paid vacation. Why? Because parents pulled their kids out of school Friday once they learned of the trip. And where in Africa did the principal go? Zambia, which has reported a total of zero Ebola cases. The principal didn't have ... you know the rest.

Don't like the team, taunt the player A West African high school soccer player in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, was taunted with chants of "Ebola" by players of the opposing team during a game earlier this month. The opposing team's head coach and assistant coach resigned the next day. The player ... so on and so forth.

What's more disturbing than Ebola? The outrageous commentary

Yell 'Ebola,' trigger panic Last week, a masked man in a Los Angeles public bus yelled, "Don't mess with me, I have Ebola!" The bus driver was quarantined and the bus taken out of service. The man disappeared. But officials doubt he has Ebola.

Pat down = paid leave

A TSA agent at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is now on paid administrative leave because he/she pat down Amber Vi. She's one of the nurses who contracted Ebola after treating Duncan. And before her illness was apparent, she took a Frontier Airlines flight to Cleveland, then a flight back to Dallas.

The agent wore gloves during the pat down, the TSA told Newsnet5 in Cleveland. And yet, the leave was "out of an abundance of caution." Never mind that Ebola is only spread through direct contact with blood, sweat, feces, vomit, semen and saliva. And the uninfected person would have to have a break in the skin that would allow entry of the virus. The agent hasn't shown signs of Ebola.

Game the system, stoke hysteria

A newly booked inmate in the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas hit on a novel way to be spared the gen pop: Tell the guards you just got back from Africa and you're experiencing Ebola-like symptoms. He was taken away from other inmates to a hospital, the staff put on protective gear, the area was decontaminated, CNN affiliate News 3 reported Sunday. Turns out, the guy not only didn't have Ebola, he's never been out of the U.S., let alone to Africa. ------

The examples go on and on, and each new day brings a couple of fresh ones. And with flu season coming up -- with its symptoms of fever, ache and fatigue that are very similar to Ebola's -- expect the hysteria to ramp up. "All we've known of Ebola is that it's some exotic disease in a faraway land that kills people in a very gruesome way. That's all we knew about it -- most Americans did -- until a couple of months ago," says CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta. "So, it's going to take some time to reset some of that thinking." Until then, perhaps we'll all benefit from this handy quiz

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/30/6875459...ontent=tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    I'm clearly wearing my tin foil hat, but how off the wire would it be to think this dude was either forced or paid richly by ISIS to make the trek? The family may as well be compensated for their unwillingness to cooperate. We may see more of this BS. This guy made how many flights....3 at least. If he was in Liberia as a helping hand, I am kind of doubting that he would do this unless he was under duress.
    Not this guy, but the possibility was researched in 2001.

>>>Think it can?t happen? If an Ebola-infected Liberian, Thomas Eric Duncan, was able to fly to Dallas, what is to stop an Ebola-infected terrorist from doing the same? And if our health-care system was unable to handle a single Ebola patient, imagine what would happen if 50, 100 or more Ebola patients started showing up at U.S. hospitals. Already we have seen schools closed in Dallas and Cleveland and a ship denied entry in Mexico and Belize. It would not require a attack on the level of Dark Winter to cause mass disruptions to our way of life and our economy.<<<<
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...9a2_story.html

Ebola nurse's status upgraded to good from fair
    http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-nurses-s...214940562.html
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - The medical status of nurse Nina Pham, who contracted Ebola when she helped treat the first patient to be diagnosed with the disease on U.S. soil, was upgraded to good from fair on Tuesday, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced.

Pham was admitted to the NIH Clinical Center Special Clinical Studies Unit in Bethesda, Maryland, on Oct. 16.

A doctor in New York City who recently returned from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive for the Ebola virus Thursday, becoming the city?s first diagnosed case.

The doctor, Craig Spencer, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital on Thursday and placed in isolation while health care workers spread out across the city to trace anyone he might have come into contact with in recent days. A further test will be conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control to confirm the initial test.

While officials have said they expected isolated cases of the disease to arrive in New York eventually, and had been preparing for this moment for months, the first case highlighted the challenges surrounding containment of the virus, especially in a crowded metropolis.

Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley and then took a taxi home.

The next morning, he reported having a temperature of 103 degrees, raising questions about his health while he was out in public.
    Photo

A person infected with Ebola cannot spread the disease until they begin to display symptoms, and it cannot be spread through the air. As the person becomes sicker, the viral load in the body builds, and they become more and more contagious.

Dr. Spencer?s travel history and the timing of the onset of his symptoms led health officials to dispatch ?disease detectives immediately began to actively trace all of the patient?s contacts to identify anyone who may be at potential risk,? according to a statement released by the department.

It was unclear if the city was trying to find people who might have come into contact with Dr. Spencer on the subway. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority directed all questions to the health department, which did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the issue.

At Dr. Spencer?s apartment in Harlem, his home was sealed off and workers distributed informational fliers about the disease. It was not clear if anyone was being quarantined.
    Continue reading the main story

Health authorities declined to say how many people in total might have come into contact with Dr. Spencer while he was symptomatic.

Mayor Bill de Blasio, speaking at a press conference Thursday evening before the diagnosis, said Dr. Spencer has given health workers a detailed accounting of his activities over the last few days.

?Our understanding is that very few people were in direct contact with him,? Mr. de Blasio said.

Dr. Spencer had been working with Doctors Without Borders in Guinea, treating Ebola patients, before returning to New York City on Oct. 14, according to a city official.
    Photo
    A photograph of Dr. Spencer on his LinkedIn page.

He told the authorities that he did not believe the protective gear he wore while working with Ebola patients had been breached but had been monitoring his own health.

Doctors Without Borders, in a statement, said it provides guidelines for its staff on their return from Ebola assignments, but did not elaborate on those protocols.

?The individual engaged in regular health monitoring and reported this development immediately,? the group said in a statement.

Dr. Spencer began to feel sluggish on Tuesday but did not develop a fever until Thursday morning, he told the authorities. At 11 a.m., the doctor found that he had a 103-degree temperature and alerted the staff of Doctors Without Borders, according to the official.

The staff of Doctors Without Borders called the city?s health department, which in turn called the Fire Department.

Emergency medical workers, wearing full personal protective gear, rushed to Dr. Spencer?s apartment, on West 147th Street. He was transported to Bellevue and arrived shortly after 1 p.m.

He was placed in a special isolation unit and is being seen by the pre-designated medical critical care team. They are in personal protective equipment with undergarment air ventilation systems.

Bellevue doctors have prepared for an Ebola patient with numerous drills and tests using ?test patients? as well as actual treatment of suspected cases that turned out to be false alarms.
    Photo
    Bellevue Hospital has been designated the center for treatment of the Ebola virus in New York City. Credit Joshua Bright for The New York Times

A health care worker at the hospital said that Dr. Spencer seemed very sick and it was unclear to the medical staff why he had not gone to the hospital earlier, since his fever was high, at 103.

Dr. Spencer is a fellow of international emergency medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, and an instructor in clinical medicine at Columbia University.

?He is a committed and responsible physician who always puts his patients first,? the hospital said in a statement. ?He has not been to work at our hospital and has not seen any patients at our hospital since his return from overseas.?

Even before the diagnosis, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention dispatched a team of experts to assist in the case, before the test results were even known.

More than 30 people have gone to city hospitals and raised suspicions of Ebola, but in all those cases, health workers were able to rule it out without a blood test.

While the city stepped up its laboratory capacity so it can get test results within four to six hours, because of the precautions that need to be taken when drawing blood and treating a person possibly sick with Ebola, it took until late in the evening to confirm the diagnosis.

But doctors said that even before the results came in, it seemed likely that he was infected. Symptoms usually occur within eight to 10 days of infection and Dr. Spencer was home nine days when he reported feeling ill.

Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluids and secretions, including blood, mucus, feces and vomit.
    Where the Patient Is Being Treated

A doctor, who was recently in West Africa treating Ebola patients, was taken Thursday from his apartment in Harlem to Bellevue Hospital Center after he reported a high fever.
    Source: Image from Pictometry

By The New York Times

Because of its high mortality rate ? Ebola kills more than half of the people it infects ? the disease spreads fear along with infection.

The authorities have been on high alert ever since Thomas Eric Duncan traveled to the United States in September from Liberia, and was later given a diagnosis of Ebola.

Mr. Duncan died at a Dallas hospital this month.

Several days after his death, a nurse who helped care for Mr. Duncan learned she had Ebola. Two nurses who treated Mr. Duncan fell ill but have since recovered.

That single case led to hundreds of people being quarantined or being asked to remain isolated from the general public.

The missteps by both local and federal authorities in handling the nation?s first Ebola case raised questions about the ability of health care workers to safely treat those with the disease.

In the New York City region, hospitals and emergency workers have been preparing for the appearance of the virus for months.

Dr. Irwin Redlener, the director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University and a special adviser to Mayor de Blasio, said that the risk to the general public was minimal, but depended on a city moving swiftly.

?New York has mobilized not only a world class health department, but has full engagement of many other agencies that need to be on the response team,? he said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/ny...id=tw-bna&_r=0
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

A terrorist is better off infecting themselves with TB, or the Flu. Or maybe they should just carry hundreds of syringes with ebola infected blood and just go on a stabbing spree, because if they have ebola, they would have to bleed all over everyone after they started presenting symptoms. Thats not exactly a sneak attack.

Its a bit insane how my FB is blowing up this evening because of the Doctor in NYC with it. So this is my reminder to everyone.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ks-merchandise

Cam?ron is vowing to protect fans from Ebola with his newest piece of merchandise: a surgical mask. Although the virus cannot be spread through the air, the Dipset rapper claims the official Cam?ron Ebola Mask will ?provide complete protection? from the deadly disease.

?Wrap it up and protect yourself from Ebola just like Killa Cam!? reads the copy in Dipset?s official online shop (via Vulture).

The conventional polypropylene/cellulose face-mask boasts an unconventional image on its front: Cam?ron reclining in luxe, pink comfort. There?s also a full-width nosepiece, to ?guarantee proper fit?.
    <<snipped>>

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I don't use the "N" word, but where is that meme that says "dis nigga here"...

lol nice pink santa hat and flip phone.

Best comment ever!

After the news of Dr. Spencer's travels the day before he came down with a 103. fever and diagnosed with Ebola, the governors of NY and NJ enacted their own quarantine laws. Anyone who had been in contact with Ebola patients needed to be in quarantine for 21 days.

Can you blame them after all the assurances of the CDC and NIH that proved to be false. The NJ/NJ area is the most densely populated area in the country with 3 international airports and numerous public transportation resources. No one knows how many people Dr. Spencer came in contact with.

So the next day, nurse Kaci Hickox gets off a plane at Newark Int'l Airport with a temp reading of 101, after treating Ebola patients in west Africa. TSA transports her to a Newark hospital where they put her in an isolation tent in the parking lot. She has been fighting ever since, threatening to sue, so NJ sent her home to Maine where she is now fighting the governor there.

This just gets crazier and crazier. I'll just give you a link and you can backtrack through, because I can't even post anywhere near the whole story.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...report-n236116

how cunty is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    how cunty is that?
    TOTALLY Cunty. She fought the isolation in NJ claiming that all she wanted to do after what she saw in Africa was to spend time with her Family. So they send the whiner home asking her to stay isolated in her home in Maine, then she says she's going to defy THAT quarantine too. WTF. It's 21 days. I would KILL to stay at home for 21 days. And it's for safety reasons. I don't care if it's considered "overly cautious". It's a small request considering. She's a real gem.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information