Thread: Kristin Hopkins (43) was stranded after a car crash

Kristin Hopkins (43) was stranded after a car crash

Kristin Hopkins wrote pleas for help on a red-and-white umbrella that she managed to push through a broken window of her crashed car and open, hoping to attract the attention of drivers on a scenic highway above.

Days later, someone spotted the flipped car of the 43-year-old single mother of four children about 80 feet down an embankment in a central Colorado aspen grove.

Authorities say at least one motorist hiked down from Red Hill Pass on U.S. Highway 285 and alerted authorities on Sunday that there was a body inside the car. Rescuers found Hopkins alive, conscious and coherent ? but critically injured and extremely dehydrated.

Hopkins was flown by helicopter to St. Anthony Hospital in suburban Denver, Park County undersheriff Monte Gore said. She was in critical condition Monday, said hospital spokeswoman Loralee Sturm. Hopkins' family issued a statement saying she will lose both her feet because of injuries sustained in the crash and is expected to survive.

Hopkins drove off the roadway near the old mining town of Fairplay sometime after she was last seen on April 27. The accident occurred beneath a spot overlooking the sprawling ranchlands and surrounding mountains of Colorado's South Park area.

Her 2009 Chevrolet Malibu struck multiple trees and rolled several times before landing on its top.

Hopkins had been entered into a statewide police database as a missing person. But since she is an adult and there were no indications of foul play, there was no active search for her.

When rescuers reached the car Sunday, firefighter Jim Cravener asked a colleague to break a window and feel for a pulse.

"He started to break the window and she put her hand up to the window," Cravener said. "At that point, it became a rescue."

Hopkins' notes on the umbrella were hard to make out but appeared to say, "six days, no food, no water; please help me; need a doctor," Cravener said.

"It's really something off that 'Shouldn't Be Alive' show," he said. "She really had a strong will to survive."

Rescuers set to work cutting into the vehicle, pulling out Hopkins and taking her to the helicopter. It was a complicated extrication because of the location, Cravener said.

Hopkins was fairly responsive at first, even telling her rescuers she was not hurt. But they could see her face was badly bruised, possibly by the steering wheel or air bag.

"She didn't talk a whole lot. She started to become less responsive as we carried her down the hill. We had to keep waking her up," Cravener said.

The area had spring snow storms but not bitterly cold temperatures in the past several days.

Sightseers often stop at the spot but usually in the fall when the leaves are turning color. It was just by chance that somebody would stop at this time of year, Cravener said.

Her family thanked people for their prayers and thoughts.
    http://news.msn.com/us/family-woman-...cid=newssocial
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I'm rooting for ya, Kristin.

There has to be something better than, they are adults, they can leave if they want. I remember a case similar and the cops thought the hubby
    had something to do with her disaperance. She had had an accident and was just miles away off the road, badly injured.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

wow that's crazy....and a lot to write. If I had a pen and umbrella I think I would just write HELP...

Wow. So glad she survived. "Single mother of four," and there was no active search? No one was worried when she didn't show up? That's weird.

if you can read this, please send help! it has been three days and i am all out of food and water. my leg is broken. i have noticed the jackals and wolves have become emboldened by my inability to move from this place and have gotten closer with each passing night. vultures have taken up residency on the roof of my car... and just yesterday i heard a faint scream in the distance followed by the hum of a chainsaw. i fear it may be a madman who haunts this place! oops, i'm almost out of room on this umbrella, please turn over:
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    if you can read this, please send help! it has been three days and i am all out of food and water. my leg is broken. i have noticed the jackals and wolves have become emboldened by my inability to move from this place and have gotten closer with each passing night. vultures have taken up residency on the roof of my car... and just yesterday i heard a faint scream in the distance followed by the hum of a chainsaw. i fear it may be a madman who haunts this place! oops, i'm almost out of room on this umbrella, please turn over:

that too.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Hopkins' notes on the umbrella were hard to make out but appeared to say, "six days, no food, no water; please help me; need a doctor," Cravener said.
    Ha! I admit that I laughed when I saw the "6 days" mention. Like if someone strolled by and saw that it was only 4 days, they wouldn't think to rescue her. NOPE TWO MORE DAYS.
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    Wow. So glad she survived. "Single mother of four," and there was no active search? No one was worried when she didn't show up? That's weird.
    Or standard if you hang out in the missing threads for a while

Too lazy to find a government quote, but these figures are pretty accurate.

http://letsfindthem.wordpress.com/mi...ed-statistics/

An astounding 2,300 Americans are reported missing every day, including both adults and children. This is six times the average daily amount of missing person reports recorded in 1984. However, only approximately 100 of those reports are stereotypical abductions or kidnappings by a stranger.

For example, the federal government counted 840,279 missing persons cases in 2001. All but about 50,000 were juveniles, classified as anyone younger than 18.
    Can you imagine 2,500 cases on the news every day? Even if they could magically figure out which of that daily 2500 were the serious 100, that's still 700 a week, 1400 a fortnight, 3000 a month, 36,0000 a year.

The truth is, they just don't have the resources. If you go missing, there might not be anyone but family looking for you. If you don't have friends or family to advocate for you, or they're not rich or educated enough to be taken seriously, there's a good chance that all anyone is going to do is enter you into NAMUS & wait for you to turn up.

It's fucking frightening.

Thread Information