Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finley Boyle (3) died after suffering brain damage at the dentist

It is a lot of work for a child but it does happen. I have seen children with decay in almost every tooth. It's sad but not everyone is taught to take care of their teeth. Sometimes it could be bad genetics. There are a lot of bad dentist who just care about money. But just because a child needs a pulpotomy ( baby root canal) doesn't mean it is fraud.

Oh, she was a such a beautiful little girl. Rest in peace, sweet little one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaseyann View Post
    It is a lot of work for a child but it does happen. I have seen children with decay in almost every tooth. It's sad but not everyone is taught to take care of their teeth. Sometimes it could be bad genetics. There are a lot of bad dentist who just care about money. But just because a child needs a pulpotomy ( baby root canal) doesn't mean it is fraud.
    You are right about that...but, in your experience, would that amount of work be excessive? And is general sedation needed? Finally, if your office used general sedation..do you have requirements (State or Accreditation) that someone know CPR? Thanks for joining in the conversation.

That is a lot of work for a three year old. It is very common in pediatric dentistry to use general sedation. Children are hard to work on. They have a hard time holding their mouth open and it can be really scary to a child having all that stuff in their mouth. All states have different laws. Where I live to be licensed we have to be certified in healthcare provider CPR. It is a little more I depth than basic CPR. We also have to have emergency protocols in case something happens especially if you use any kind of sedation. This is so sad. I kinda wonder if the dentist panicked and forgot their training under stress. I can't imagine not knowing CPR. We also never leave sedated patients unattended.

Thanks ChaseyAnn for answering my questions. Just too sad overall.

I think so to. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through. Luckily I have never had anything like that happen with a patient. But if it did I would expect the dentist to know what to do. OSHA requires we have a written plan for emergencies. Like who will call 911 who will start CPR. Maybe if that office had something like that this could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I saw a dental office insist that this woman's 5 year old needed a root canal on a baby tooth. With the assistant standing there I questioned why they would do a root canal on a baby tooth and got shot a dirty look from the assistant. I talked the Mom out of it. THEN they insisted he needed a "spacer" to ensure the adult tooth came in straight. So.....what happened to the serious NEED for the root canal? FRAUD. PERIOD.
    I had a spacer when I was a kid. I have "big" teeth and a small mouth, so they put in a spacer because I still had a baby tooth that could have caused an obstacle for the adult tooth. I don't see why that's so unbelievable. I'd rather be safe than have a fucked up tooth.

I've never heard of root canals on baby teeth, but I'm also not a dentist and the only dental history I know is my own. Some people have fucked up mouths.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    That particular dentist was shut down for doing unnecessary procedures for money. I had already had my suspicions when I said that to the mother. He had done 2 root canals on me and once done claimed I needed 3 more. I got a second opinion and ended up needing a filling in one tooth and nothing was wrong with the other 2. He was shut down. Not all dentists are like that, I know. But he was so I'm happy I said something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I went to a dentist after not having gone for a while (didn't have any pain, just wanted xrays and cleaning)
    The first one I went to informed me I needed a root canal and 9 fillings. He also tried to tell my that I needed deep cleaning for excessive gum pocket depth.
    Too bad the fucker didn't know I worked for Cigna Dental and actually knew quite a bit about these procedures. I told them where they could stick it and went to another dentist. That dentist fixed one filling that had fallen out and when I told him what the other one had said about my gums, he was shocked.
    Sometimes dentists are horrible money whores.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    That particular dentist was shut down for doing unnecessary procedures for money. I had already had my suspicions when I said that to the mother. He had done 2 root canals on me and once done claimed I needed 3 more. I got a second opinion and ended up needing a filling in one tooth and nothing was wrong with the other 2. He was shut down. Not all dentists are like that, I know. But he was so I'm happy I said something.
    I feel like root canals were being done to everyone I knew a few years ago, and now I never hear about them. I've never had one, nor has one been suggested.

I don't even know what they are. What is a root canal, compared to a filling? When do you need one?

No, I dont feel like googling.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Sad. "Island Dentistry for Children", motto - 'You will believe anything we say. No adult patients wanted.' 4 root canals? GTFO.
    MDS TROLL

A root canal is done when someone has an infection at the root of a tooth or decay that is in to the nerve of a tooth and causing pain. They clean out the nerve tissue in the canals of the roots and fill it in. A regular filling is used to fix a cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I feel like root canals were being done to everyone I knew a few years ago, and now I never hear about them. I've never had one, nor has one been suggested.

I don't even know what they are. What is a root canal, compared to a filling? When do you need one?

No, I dont feel like googling.
    It's when the cavity is so bad that a filling isn't enough to save the tooth from decay. As far as I remember, they pretty much hollow out the tooth, remove the nerve (root), put in a post and then fit you with a crown (fake tooth). I could be missing steps or procedures here but that's what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaseyann View Post
    A root canal is done when someone has an infection at the root of a tooth or decay that is in to the nerve of a tooth and causing pain. They clean out the nerve tissue in the canals of the roots and fill it in. A regular filling is used to fix a cavity.
    What she said lol. See? I didn't even know the root and nerve were different.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    I am dealing with an infection under/in a root canaled tooth because apparently a piece of the drill/file broke off in the tip of my root (back lower molar) 13 years ago and has decided to haunt me. Nothing to do with cute little Finley but it hurts like a bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

My sympathy for the parents, who only wanted to make their child's life better. I would assume these surgeries are common. See, my family is Chinese and they have a poor understanding of the importance of dental health, and as a result, my younger relatives had to undergo dental surgery at young ages because they never or seldom brushed their teeth. (Somehow, my aunt is still baffled at why there is toothpaste for toddlers in the supermarket.) My sister had most of her baby teeth surgically extracted when she was 6. My cousin, who was 3, had a brown baby tooth pulled as well. From what I remember, my parents didn't teach me to brush my teeth until I was about 6 and somehow I ended up fairly okay with only 4 fillings.

Oh, and my cousin's grandparents shamed me for getting a wisdom tooth pulled, because they think the only reason teeth get extracted is because you're too lazy to take care of them and let them rot. Actually, that tooth had no decay. I just didn't have enough space in my mouth. Them Chinese and their lack of dental knowledge.

Autopsy shows girl, 3, who suffered a tragic heart attack during a dental visit 'died from being given the MAXIMUM DOSE of sedatives and anesthesia'
    Finley Puleo Boyle, of Kailua, probably died because of the sedatives and local anesthesia that were administered during her December dental procedure
    The girl lapsed into a coma on December 3 in the office of Dr. Lilly Geyer at Island Dentistry for Children and died on December 3
    Devastated parents Ashley and Evan Boyle filed a negligence lawsuit while their only child was in a coma
    The mother decided not to let her daughter live in a vegetative state
    Other children have been unable to walk for days after being treated by Dr. Geyer

An adorable 3-year-old girl who suffered a heart attack during a dentist visit likely died because she was given the maximum dose of sedative drugs, according to an autopsy report.
    Finley Puleo Boyle, of Kailua in Honolulu, Hawaii, probably died because of the sedatives and local anesthesia that were administered during her December dental procedure, Honolulu Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Christopher Happy concluded in his autopsy report. He classified the death as an accident.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2wmkCMt1h
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Honolulu Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Christopher Happy

Godspeed, Finley

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

Lilly Geyer was indicted by a jury on 37 counts, including manslaughter
    Geyer's practice, Island Dentistry for Children in Hawaii, has since closed

An autopsy report concluded the heart attack was likely to have been caused by five drugs Finley was given, including Demerol, hydroxyzine and chlorohydrate.
    She was also given laughing gas and an injection of a local anesthetic, lidocaine with epinephrine, the report said.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4Jqh3UAE0
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This is scary. My son is having dental surgery with general anesthesia next month.
    Anyway, since it's only a baby tooth, why can't the tooth just be pulled? Or would that not stop the infection?

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    This is scary. My son is having dental surgery with general anesthesia next month.
    Anyway, since it's only a baby tooth, why can't the tooth just be pulled? Or would that not stop the infection?
    I tried reading a little about it and it seems dentists do that with young kids, specifically when they think the surgery is going to be very long or extensive. Maybe they are thinking they have to dig in and break the tooth into pieces or pull out some bone too. How old is he?

General Anesthesia
    To keep your child safe and comfortable during a dental procedure, your child’s dentist might decide to use general anesthesia in the operating room. General anesthesia also may be used if your child needs extensive or complicated procedures that will take a long time to complete, or needs several procedures done all at the same time. A pediatric anesthesiologist — a doctor who specializes in anesthesia for children — will give your child the medications that will make him or her sleep soundly during the procedure.

General anesthesia makes your child’s whole body go to sleep. It is needed for certain dental procedures and treatments so that his or her reflexes will be completely relaxed. Your child will feel no pain during the procedure, nor have any memory of it.

- See more at: http://www.chp.edu/our-services/dent....tOh9ZrBA.dpuf
    ETA: I had asked my doctor why they wanted to use general to do my foot surgery and he explained that while using local, I might move other parts of my body that can affect the area being operated on. Maybe in your son's case, they don't trust that he will be able to keep from thrashing his head around or try to push the doctor's hands away.
    Last edited by animosity; 09-10-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thanks Animosity, he is 19, special needs.

Thread Information