Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nonverbal autistic teen Avonte Oquendo (14) was found dead in a river three months after he went missing

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    word.
    It's the one time I frown on "advancements" of science, medicine and technology. If a child is permanently in a wheelchair, wearing diapers, with 8 teeth and has an IQ of 4, I'm not keeping it. I'd wanna go primal, hit it with a rock, and try that shit again. That's not a child, that's a burden. DO NOT WANT.

Until you can make it better, we're not really helping it by keeping it barely alive. I mean what kind of life is it anyway?

I saw people in the comments section saying "maybe he's at a girlfriend's house" and someone pointed out that since he's mute and severely autistic, he probably doesn't have a girlfriend or friends.

That shit is fucking miserable. I just don't get it, I'm sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Too soon?

Family Braces As Autistic Son Discovers Amtrak’s ‘Track a Train’ Web Page

News in Brief • Family • Local • ISSUE 49•43 • Oct 23, 2013

TULSA, OK—Just days after learning that the 8-year-old had thankfully moved on from a website compiling all professional baseball statistics since 1871, the local McKinsdale family reportedly braced themselves as autistic son Brendan discovered Amtrak.com’s “Track a Train” page.

“Oh, God, he’s going to be on there for hours and hours at a time,” said mother Barbara McKinsdale, wincing upon learning that the site has an interactive graphic, which provides maps, timetables, and real-time, 24-hour updates on the progress of more than 300 trains traversing some 21,300 miles of track.

“All we can do now is prepare ourselves to hear about how the 8:03 from Penn Station to Chicago is running 14 minutes late, or how the local train from Washington to Philadelphia is $59.36 cheaper than the express, but takes an extra 27 minutes to arrive. This is going to be rough.”

Household sources later confirmed that Brendan had just spent the past half hour zoomed in on Milwaukee and hitting his browser’s refresh button every three seconds.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fam...raks-tr,34311/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Oh, I agree totally. I think Shins was saying meh.
    That's not what I said at all, asshole.

I don't say "meh" to a kid going missing. I didn't mean to imply they shouldn't be held responsible, or that fault is completely in their hands.

What I am saying is that I doubt this was intended neglect. It's just a horrible consequence of a human (or plural) being human and showing error.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

This is seriously cracking me up.

Yea. It's not like he was kidnapped. Who wants a mute 14 year old that wanders? NOT ME!

I'm guessing he's on some tracks somewhere. Even though they searched them. There's a lot of train in NYC and its outlying areas.
    not like he's going to tell anyone.

don't they have gps tracking bracelets or something that you could put on people that tend to run away like this kid or people with dementia. i mean - supervision is great but when that fails... and it fails a lot, it's so long sonny! you aren't even gonna find the body usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    not like he's going to tell anyone.

don't they have gps tracking bracelets or something that you could put on people that tend to run away like this kid or people with dementia. i mean - supervision is great but when that fails... and it fails a lot, it's so long sonny! you aren't even gonna find the body usually.
    BUT HE WANDERS!

Too much trouble. Need to find a mute without legs. WIN!

BUT HE WANDERS!

Too much trouble. Need to find a mute without legs. WIN!
    they can wander all they want - locked in a basement.

they can wander all they want - locked in a basement.
    Haha that Castro case has given way too many people false hope.

My little guy with some "autistic behaviors" is trying on a good day, I can't imagine dealing with a kid with even worse issues. My guy talks well (kind of flat and stilted like the guy in the ONN vids) and needs more supervision than the average 8 year old but I can step out to have a smoke, or run to the store own the street without worrying that he's going to disappear. I remember when he was younger and less verbal, he'd just had a bath and was enjoying some naked time due to a diaper rash- I was about to burst pregnant with Lily and when I sat down for a minute, he slipped out of the house (NAKED!) and down the street. I don't think I've ever waddled that fast as a pregnant lady ever. We promptly invested in those child proof doorknob covers which we used for a couple years to make sure he didn't bolt again. I don't know what I'd do if he still was a wanderer. This was my worst nightmare for a few years :( Hell, even with his improved behavior, I still worry that he'll start it again. We had a period a few months back where he refused to sleep and would stay up all night. He woke me up going into the basement once. Hubby or I had to stay up a few nights while we got his sleeping schedule back on track. It was rough.
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I'm going to hell for how many times I laughed in this thread you guise

http://www.nydailynews.com/commissio...icle-1.1496260

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly fears missing teenager Avonte Oquendo is dead

(Oct. 25,2013) Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Thursday he fears missing autistic teenager Avonte Oquendo is dead.

"Unfortunately, we are not hopeful that we're going to find this young man alive, but we are continuing our search," Kelly told WABC Channel 7. He urged people to continue providing tips.

Avonte, who is nonverbal, has been missing since Oct. 4, the day he walked out of his school in Long Island City, Queens

Also on Thursday, the office of the Oquendo family's lawyer said the P.S. 277 building Avonte attended lacked critical safety measures like adequate surveillance and alarmed panic doors. There is an $89,500 reward for Avonte's return.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=9300345

Avonte Oquendo's mom: "My son is alive"

(Oct. 25, 2013) NEW YORK (WABC) -- "My son is alive," Avonte Oquendo's mother told reporters on Friday, reacting to NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly's comments that hope is fading that autistic teen will be found alive.

"There's no evidence that Avonte is not alive," family attorney David Perecman said, adding he was stunned by Kelly's remarks on Thursday night.

"I'm going to ask the commissioner not to make statements like that," Perecman said. "The family had no idea it was coming and they were really hurt when the statement was made."

Kelly's statement came during a brief interview with reporters.

"Obviously we have devoted a tremendous amount of resources to the search," he said. "Unfortunately, we are not hopeful that we're going to find this young man alive, but we are continuing our search."

Concerned perhaps that Kelly was suggesting the search may be scaled back, Perecman pressed for investigators to not scale back their search, but do things not yet attempted.

"The main purpose is to bring life and rejuvenate the effort as it gets cold to find Avonte," he said. "Anything that anyone says or does to dampen the effort to search for Avonte is inappropriate, reckless."

"I want them (police department) to continue searching," his mother, Vanessa, said.

"Hopefully, (Kelly's) comments will encourage more people to come out and volunteer," added his father, Daniel Oquendo, Sr.

Even as the temperatures start to plummet, Kelly said on Thursday that the search will still continue throughout the northeast and he encouraged anyone with information to contact police.

"We are continuing to put information out," he said. "We're talking to jurisdictions in the northeast quadrant of the United States ... We ask anyone with any information to call our TIPS hotline."
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/commissio...icle-1.1496260

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly fears missing teenager Avonte Oquendo is dead

(Oct. 25,2013) Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Thursday he fears missing autistic teenager Avonte Oquendo is dead.

"Unfortunately, we are not hopeful that we're going to find this young man alive, but we are continuing our search," Kelly told WABC Channel 7. He urged people to continue providing tips.

Avonte, who is nonverbal, has been missing since Oct. 4, the day he walked out of his school in Long Island City, Queens

Also on Thursday, the office of the Oquendo family's lawyer said the P.S. 277 building Avonte attended lacked critical safety measures like adequate surveillance and alarmed panic doors. There is an $89,500 reward for Avonte's return.
    Yea, people are losing their shit about Kelly saying that. I agree with him, but I still love it cause I hate Kelly.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...do-disappeared

Memo: Safety measures weren't in effect the day Avonte Oquendo disappeared

(Oct. 24, 2013) The Queens school that a severely autistic teen walked out of earlier this month lacked key safety features that could have prevented him from leaving the building -- including working video surveillance, alarmed panic bars and doors with windows, Capital has learned.

None of the administrators or staff at Public School 277 had passwords to access live security camera feeds on Oct. 4, the day Avonte Oquendo, 14, left the brand new Long Island City school through a side door, according to an internal memo written by a teachers' union official that was obtained by Capital.

According to the memo, school employees didn't have the codes to access security footage until after Oquendo's disappearance.

"One administrator said that none of the administrators had the password to log onto the cameras at the computers as of the 20th day of school," which was Oct. 4.

Surveillance footage showing Oquendo leaving the building later appeared on local television stations.

In response to specific questions from Capital about the incident and the memo, schools chancellor Dennis Walcott responded, through a spokesman, with a statement saying that the education department's "Special Commissioner for Investigations is investigating what happened, and we intend to take a serious look at his findings."

The massive search for Oquendo is entering its twentieth day.

The Oquendo family's lawyer and special education advocates raised questions in a recent New York Times article about how Oquendo was able to leave the school in the first place, but they have yet to receive much in the way of answers.

The Oct. 9 memo, written by a Queens-based United Federation of Teachers official based on a series of meetings the official attended with D.O.E. safety experts and P.S. 277 staff and administrators, lays out many of the holes in the school?s security.

There was also "no monitor at the front desk" where a safety agent would have seen Oquendo leave the building.

At another point, the memo notes, "Console for school security agent is also on order as well."

Because they didn?t access to the cameras, school officials "originally believed that the student ran back up another staircase ... However, student had already left the building."

School officials were also told that "temporary alarmed panic bars would be in place" by that Friday -- a full week after the incident.

"Permanent ones at a later date," according to the memo.

The meeting also included an employee of the architect firm Gran Kriegel Associates, which designed the building, who "discussed possible add'l cameras as well as adding windows to some doors."

Because administrators at the Riverview School, the special-education school located in P.S. 277 that Oquendo attended, believed Oquendo was hiding somewhere in the building, they waited an hour before bringing in the teen's mother, Vanessa Fontaine, and projecting her voice over a P.A. system to urge him to come out, according to the Times.

Oquendo was last seen at 12:38 p.m. Fontaine was called at 1:40 p.m., and police were called between 1:35 p.m. and 1:45 p.m., the Times reported.

The Riverview School is one of three inside the building on 51st Avenue. It shares school space with a high school, the Academy for Careers in Television and Film, and Hunters Point Community Middle School.

A spokeswoman for the department of education did not respond to a series of detailed questions about security features at the school, instead providing the following statement from schools chancellor Dennis Walcott:

"Right now our prime focus is on finding Avonte, and we have been working with NYPD on the search. I spoke with Avonte's family, and my prayers, and the prayers of the entire school community, are with them during this terrible ordeal. The Special Commissioner for Investigations is investigating what happened, and we intend to take a serious look at his findings. I have meanwhile ordered my staff to examine the procedures that we have in place to prevent something like this from ever happening again."

Police commissioner Ray Kelly said on Monday that the NYPD is considering "scaling down" the massive search operation for Oquendo this week.

The NYPD has deployed over 100 police officers to help with the search and interview anyone who has been recently arrested for child abuse, as well as registered sex offenders. Scuba divers are conducting daily dives at coasts around the five boroughs.

Also, from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/ny...questions.html

Schools Chancellor Dennis M. Walcott has said the episode has prompted a review of protocols and procedures for such emergencies. But a spokeswoman for the city's Education Department declined on Tuesday to answer specific questions about the matter, citing the continuing investigation.

The city school system has been carrying out significant reforms of special education that are intended to reverse a longstanding practice of segregating those students in their own classrooms and schools. Several advocates hailed the effort, known as mainstreaming. Still, many wondered whether the policies attending the effort, begun in earnest last year, were adversely affecting some children, particularly those with the most severe needs.

"This is not a clear case of reform gone bad," said Jean Mizutani, an education team leader with Resources for Children with Special Needs, a nonprofit organization. "But the policies of reform might affect programming and development and the plans made for these students. Any child should be entitled to be in any school, but at the same time if the school is not able to support that child successfully, that child should not be there and that is the gap we are in now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

It's probably him. How horrible

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1582937

Clothing on arm, torso and legs found near Queens shoreline match those of missing teen Avonte Oquendo: police source
    The human remains were discovered in College Point near Powell?s Cove Blvd Thursday evening. ?Unfortunately there is good reasons to think it's him,? says David Perceman, the Oquendo family's lawyer.

By Joseph Stepansky , Ginger Otis , Ryan Sit , Nancy Dillon , Rocco Parascandola AND Mark Morales / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Friday, January 17, 2014, 11:12 AM
    Updated: Friday, January 17, 2014, 2:37 PM
    Cops search for evidence after human remains were found near the DEP water treatment plant in Queens.
    Related Stories

The months-long mystery of vanished autistic teen Avonte Oquendo may have been solved with the discovery of an arm, torso, legs and possible rib bones near a Queens shoreline Thursday.

The remains, in clothing that matches Avonte?s, were found by a teenager taking photographs near Powell's Cove Blvd. and Endeavor Place in College Point about 7 p.m., police sources said.

Responding cops found the left arm on the shore after the tide washed out, sources said. On rocks about 15 to 20 feet away, they found the torso attached to two legs. The body was clad in boy?s size 16 black Old Navy jeans, white socks and size 5 1/2 black Nike sneakers.

The clothing matched what 14-year-old Avonte was wearing when he vanished from his Long Island City school on Oct. 4, police sources said Friday.

Under the jeans were a pair of large Fruit of the Loom underwear.

Near the legs police found bones that appeared to be human ribs. Also found at the scene was a possible segment of pelvic bone.

Cops rushed to expand the search immediately after the first remains were found. They were racing to find more evidence ahead of the incoming high tide.

Investigators said it did not appear the arm had been cut from the body. They said it could have come off as a result of decomposition.
    The jeans were frayed, apparently from the water.

David Perecman, the Oquendo family's lawyer, said the dark colored Air Jordan Nike sneakers and pants appeared to belong to Avonte.

?The remains are decomposed so there really are not similarities except it's a size 5 1/2 Nike Jordan sneakers and size 16 jeans, which are both want Avonte was wearing on the day he left, which are troubling things to hear,? Perecman said.

Further identification wasn?t possible without forensic testing, he said.

?(The remains) have been in the water long enough that you can't identify the skin color. It's been in the water long enough that it's not an intact body .. It's been in the water long enough that nobody's reporting his chest or his head,? the lawyer noted.

Avonte?s mother, Vanessa Fontaine, is providing a DNA sample to test against the body. The boy?s father?s DNA is already on file.

"It's more than just speculation,? Perecman said, on the likelihood the remains belonged to Avonte.

?Unfortunately there is good reasons to think it's him," he said.

Two police divers have been in the water searching for more remains since 7 a.m. The murky waters limit visibility to about 18 inches, so the divers search by touch, using thick heavy gloves as they feel around the underwater rocks and crags.

Cops responded to a 911 call about the grisly discovery near Powell Cove Blvd. and quickly found the human remains. "Upon arrival, police discovered a possible arm and legs on the rocks of the location.

"The remains will be removed to the Queens County Morgue and the medical examiner will determine the cause of death. The investigation is ongoing," the NYPD said in a statement.

There were a couple of police cruisers at the College Point scene from the 108th Precinct, where Avonte's school is located.

Bloodhounds had picked up Avonte's scent in a marshy area near the school after he went missing.

Cops in College Point, however, said the cruisers were at the scene for "personnel purposes," unrelated to the discovery of the human remains. An NYPD van was stationed at the Oquendos' 67th Ave. home in Rego Park, Queens, early Friday.
    Avonte, who is nonverbal, has been the subject of massive searches since he was last seen Oct. 4 walking past a security guard and out of the Riverview School in Long Island City.

The boy was wearing a gray striped shirt, black jeans and black sneakers on the last day he was seen alive.

His panic-stricken family and police distributed fliers begging for the boy's return and have endured numerous false sightings.

At one point, subway workers walked the tunnels in hopes of finding the boy who has a fascination with trains.

The unidentified teen's mom called police at 7:06 p.m. to report what her daughter saw.

The girl never disturbed the arm, which was bare and water-logged, sources said Friday.

Police scoured the depths of Powell's Cove until the tide came in late Thursday and continued the search Friday.

An official report written by Riverview School staffers showed Avonte disappeared from a group of students who were walking from a cafeteria to a computer lab, the Oquendo family's lawyer, David Perecman, has said.

Schools spokesman Devon Puglia said Friday that crisis teams were "standing by for whatever the school needs."

Perecman filed a $25 million notice of claim against the city on behalf of Avonte's family on Oct. 9.

With Thomas Tracy and Rachel Monahan

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2qggejxKv
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

is it a dismembered body or has it just been in the water long enough to separate?

Probably just long enough to separate. This dummy just walked into the water or something?

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Ron, damn you, I just about pissed my pants watching those videos!
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    Ron, damn you, I just about pissed my pants watching those videos!
    That shit is fucking hysterical.

I am ready to rip my hair out over all the "I pray it isn't him" comments. It's still a dead body. You're literally wishing this grief on another family. It's fucking disgusting.

And if your prayers didn't work to bring him home safe, why the fuck will they work now. Oh my God I'm so angry.

is it a dismembered body or has it just been in the water long enough to separate?
    Probably just long enough to separate. This dummy just walked into the water or something?
    They're saying his arm wasn't "cut" off but rather it looks like he's falling apart due to decomposition.

They found the remains 11 miles from his school which is near a body of water. I'm thinking he just slowly floated downstream however his family in the beginning were adamant that he was terrified of water.

So who knows - he either fell in himself or he was (maybe?) being bullied and was pushed in or ran in trying to escape something.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    They're saying his arm wasn't "cut" off but rather it looks like he's falling apart due to decomposition.

They found the remains 11 miles from his school which is near a body of water. I'm thinking he just slowly floated downstream however his family in the beginning were adamant that he was terrified of water.

So who knows - he either fell in himself or he was (maybe?) being bullied and was pushed in or ran in trying to escape something.
    Couldn't even ask him if he were alive, he's mute.

I am ready to rip my hair out over all the "I pray it isn't him" comments. It's still a dead body. You're literally wishing this grief on another family. It's fucking disgusting.

And if your prayers didn't work to bring him home safe, why the fuck will they work now. Oh my God I'm so angry.
    "It's not Avonte until it's Avonte." So, it's not Avonte until the medical examiner makes a positive ID. For now, it's just a bloater wearing Avonte's clothes.

Don't get me wrong - I still feel horrible. Poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    "It's not Avonte until it's Avonte." So, it's not Avonte until the medical examiner makes a positive ID. For now, it's just a bloater wearing Avonte's clothes.

Don't get me wrong - I still feel horrible. Poor kid.
    I am weird with cases like this. I realize it's probably due to my kid deal, but a child like him (in my opinion) is more of a burden than a blessing. Doesn't talk, hear, or know to avoid large bodies of water? It's like having a car you can't drive.

This.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    The amount of denial astounds me:

*Perecman has been speaking with the family all night about the discovery and says his Avonte’s mother, Vanessa Fontaine, is skeptical*

*Oquendo’s mother, who has hoped that her son was being held by a kidnapper*

*Avonte’s mom told Perecman she will not be convinced until she has proof her son is dead. “It’s not Avonte until it’s Avonte,” she said*

http://pix11.com/2014/01/17/body-par...#axzz2qflBZA7w

I mean.....they found his legs....With the exact same sneakers he was wearing when he disappeared....STILL ON HIS FEET. The clothing found with the body is the same shit he was wearing when he went missing. I don't get it. how is that woman skeptical?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Thread Information