Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT discussion thread

so here's a local story that's pissing me off because it affects me directly. that little gay bar that i have been going to is in hot water... over stupidness. i feel like i should do something, but i don't know what.

Victorville bar owners perplexed by DA's charge
    August 08, 2013 1:27 PM

Rene De La Cruz, Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE ? The owners of a local bar that welcomes gay and lesbian patrons say they can?t understand why the District Attorney is pursuing charges against their establishment.

Michael Voeltz, co-owner of Ricky?s Bar in Victorville, with his sister Karen Voeltz, said an Alcoholic Beverage Control agent found six unsanitary bottles of alcohol at the Victorville bar during a routine investigation in February.

The issue was dismissed by ABC, but the DA then filed a misdemeanor complaint based on the administrative complaint, according to Voeltz?s attorney Valerie Ross.

?I think someone wants us shut down because we?re a gay bar,? Michael Voeltz said. ?What other reason to move on a bar with such a serious charge against such a petty case??

Ross did not explicitly say that discrimination was the basis for the DA?s actions, but she did say ?selective prosecution comes to mind when dealing with the bar case.?

Michael Voeltz, who was out of town during ABC?s visit, said officials cited his sister, who was the bartender at the time of the visit.

?Every bar has bar flies that go after sweet liquors; that is why we check out bottles on a regular basis,? Voeltz said. ?We never served any customer with bugs in our drinks.?

A species of fruit fly is known to gather around beer taps, dried beer, fruit, drains, pipes, cloths, mops, rags, and sweet fruit-flavored liqueurs.

After asking for all liquor invoices, ABC told Michael Voeltz about a week later to take better measures in keeping bottles clean and dropped the case, according to Voeltz.

?Paperwork has not been completely processed through the court on (Karen Voeltz?s) case, but that should be accomplished by mid-week,? Ross said. ?Once that is done, I will be representing her as well.?

Ross said in 33 years of being an attorney, she has never come across a case similar to the Voeltz?s, so she will conduct intensive research on similar cases in the county.

?We answer to the justice system and the citizens of San Bernardino County,? said District Attorney Christopher Lee in a written statement Thursday. ?And if there is sufficient evidence indicating that a crime has been committed, we have a duty to represent the people.?

Court records show that a trial could begin as early as Monday, but Ross said she will file a discovery motion with the court to have more time to investigate the unusual case.

?I also need to find out how many times the county had used this against similar defendants,? Ross said. ?If the continuance is granted, there will be no Monday jury trial.?

The ABC said they could not address the issue at this time.

If convicted the defendants could face up to a $2,000 fine and/or up to one year in county jail.
    wha? a year in jail because there were a couple of flies in the grenadine?

eta: http://www.vvdailypress.com/articles...ar-charge.html

if you want to read comments.
    Last edited by animosity; 08-11-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add link
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    An Arizona family fed up with abortion, homosexuality, taxes and the ?state-controlled church? will fly back home Sunday after being lost at sea for months.

Hannah Gastonguay told the Associated Press she and her husband ?decided to take a leap of faith and see where God led us.? The family, which included two small children, abandoned the United States and set sail for the island nation of Kiribati in May. They ended up lost in the Pacific Ocean for 91 days.

During the voyage, their boat was damaged by ?squall after, squall, after squall.? The damage forced them to head towards the nearer Marquesas Islands, but they made little progress.

A Canadian cargo ship spotted them and offered them some supplies. But the large ship bumped into the small boat, resulting in even more damage.

With their supplies running low, they were eventually picked up by a Venezuelan fishing vessel that spotted them.

?The captain said, ?Do you know where you?re at? You?re in the middle of nowhere,?? Gastonguay told the Associated Press.

After being transferred to a Japanese cargo ship, the family ended up in Chile. U.S. Embassy officials arranged for them to be flown home.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/1...s-lost-at-sea/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

An Arizona family fed up with abortion, homosexuality, taxes and the ?state-controlled church? will fly back home Sunday after being lost at sea for months.

Hannah Gastonguay told the Associated Press she and her husband ?decided to take a leap of faith and see where God led us.? The family, which included two small children, abandoned the United States and set sail for the island nation of Kiribati in May. They ended up lost in the Pacific Ocean for 91 days.

During the voyage, their boat was damaged by ?squall after, squall, after squall.? The damage forced them to head towards the nearer Marquesas Islands, but they made little progress.

A Canadian cargo ship spotted them and offered them some supplies. But the large ship bumped into the small boat, resulting in even more damage.

With their supplies running low, they were eventually picked up by a Venezuelan fishing vessel that spotted them.

?The captain said, ?Do you know where you?re at? You?re in the middle of nowhere,?? Gastonguay told the Associated Press.

After being transferred to a Japanese cargo ship, the family ended up in Chile. U.S. Embassy officials arranged for them to be flown home.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/1...s-lost-at-sea/

So God's plan was for them to get lost and die at sea. ...or get dragged back to pay taxes.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

So, wait. I can get a free flight home if I turn up at a US Embassy office broke? Brb, planning vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    So God's plan was for them to get lost and die at sea. ...or get dragged back to pay taxes.
    Anyone who's been paying attention realizes that God's plan fucking blows.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Anyone who's been paying attention realizes that God's plan fucking blows.
    Well some would say, it's not God's plan that blows. The problem lies with his followers.

This is a story of a man, who was a firm believer of god.

One day it began to rain very heavily. It kept raining and a big flood came.
    The man climbed up on the roof of his house, and knew that he would be ok. God would protect him.

It kept raining and now the water had reached his waist. A boat came by and a guy in the boat said: ?Hey, jump in. We will take you with us?.
    ?No thanks?, said the man. ?I?m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me?. He sent the boat away.

It kept on raining and now the water had reached his neck. Another boat came by and a guy in the boat said: ?You look like you could need some help. Jump in and we will take you with us?.
    ?No?, said the man. ?I?m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me. Don?t worry about me?. The boat sailed away.

It still rained and the water now reached his mouth. A helicopter came by and a guy in the helicopter threw down a rope and said: ?Hi there my friend. Climb up. We will rescue you?.
    ?No?, said the man. ?I?m a firm believer in God. He will rescue me. I know he will?. The helicopter flew away.

It kept on raining, and finally the man drowned.

When the man died, he went to heaven. When entering Heaven, he had an interview with God.
    After giving a polite greeting and sitting down, the man asked: ?Where were you. I waited and waited. I was sure you would rescue me, as I have been a firm believer all my life, and have only done good to others. So where were you when I needed you??

God scratched his confused looking face and answered: ?I don?t get it either. I sent you two boats and a helicopter?.
    (My SIL Hates it when I post this on her FB page. She is sure that God has a plan, and that she knows exactly what it is.)
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    so here's a local story that's pissing me off because it affects me directly. that little gay bar that i have been going to is in hot water... over stupidness. i feel like i should do something, but i don't know what.

sooooo... an update on this gay bar issue: i went over today and had a discussion with the owners. turns out they are engaged in some 'boardwalk empire' kind of shit.

the law the DA is citing to prosecute them is one that hasn't been used since 1933. the intent of the law was to not only stop bootleggers, but to put them away for longer by stating that a small barfly in the alcohol is poisonous if consumed. no bar in this area has been brought up on these charges, although a majority of them have been cited by the ABC for the same infraction.

the ABC did not press charges, it's all the DA.

the bar is organizing 2 protests between now and october, when the trial begins. kcal is coming in tomorrow to cover the story.

on another note, this situation is a boon for me... sure, i stand to lose my favorite bar, but this semester i'm taking sociology, english (critical thinking and composition), public speaking and journalism. it's almost like the stars aligned - giving me one perfect topic to research the shit out of and use for every class. i've just cut my research time down by 3/4 and the semester hasn't even begun yet.

Well some would say, it's not God's plan that blows. The problem lies with his followers.

(My SIL Hates it when I post this on her FB page. She is sure that God has a plan, and that she knows exactly what it is.)
    Why does she hate that!?!? That's perfect. Whenever I've heard it, God's response was a lot more profanity laced though. Gotta love New York.

Why does she hate that!?!? That's perfect. Whenever I've heard it, God's response was a lot more profanity laced though. Gotta love New York.
    If you drowned it's because that's what the big guy wanted. Not because of anything you did. When I ask why God wanted the six year old dead? It's not for us to question God. She's a sweet person, but she swallows everything the priest says. She almost died because she wouldn't let the doctors do a D&C after she miscarried. It's a sin.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Who doesn't expect a fruit fly or two around the gays?

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    gay bar has both bar flies and fruit flies. classy ladies abound! this whole situation just lends itself to humor tbh. i'd hat to be the prosecutor who, during the trial accidentally calls them fruit flies instead of their scientific name.

Find me one bar on the planet that doesn't have a fruit fly.

You'll sooner find the winning lottery ticket.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Someone I work with seriously just told a group of us, that she would not get a massage from a lezbo, because she doesn't want to be hit on.

I told her I can't go to lunch with her anymore, I don't wana catch the phobz.

I'm not generally impressed by Anglican ministers but

sooooo... an update on this gay bar issue: i went over today and had a discussion with the owners. turns out they are engaged in some 'boardwalk empire' kind of shit.

the law the DA is citing to prosecute them is one that hasn't been used since 1933. the intent of the law was to not only stop bootleggers, but to put them away for longer by stating that a small barfly in the alcohol is poisonous if consumed. no bar in this area has been brought up on these charges, although a majority of them have been cited by the ABC for the same infraction.

the ABC did not press charges, it's all the DA.

the bar is organizing 2 protests between now and october, when the trial begins. kcal is coming in tomorrow to cover the story.

on another note, this situation is a boon for me... sure, i stand to lose my favorite bar, but this semester i'm taking sociology, english (critical thinking and composition), public speaking and journalism. it's almost like the stars aligned - giving me one perfect topic to research the shit out of and use for every class. i've just cut my research time down by 3/4 and the semester hasn't even begun yet.
    I had not heard of this but know people that would help protest possibly. I'm in the IE like 30 min away. Let me know if there's need for numbers. Dude, I have had fruit flies and I can't get rid of for months. They've been all over every staters I've been to lately too. I think we're getting the, worse this year than usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Buahahaha.
    Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by DiaDeLosMuertos View Post
    I had not heard of this but know people that would help protest possibly. I'm in the IE like 30 min away. Let me know if there's need for numbers. Dude, I have had fruit flies and I can't get rid of for months. They've been all over every staters I've been to lately too. I think we're getting the, worse this year than usual.

Buahahaha.
    i will totally take you up on this! i'm going back on wednesday and may have an update. i tried to offer my help in organizing, but i don't think they were ready for that step at the time.

Is there a Fb page yet supporting them?
    Jenn

here is their facebook page. they just told me to keep an eye out for more info on the page. nothing so far.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ricky...43877485649353

Russia halts adoptions to Sweden over gay nuptials

Sweden edition

Change edition:
    France |
    Germany |
    Italy |
    Norway |
    Spain |
    Switzerland

The Local: Sweden's news in English

Omega 3, Vitamin D, and a good run
    See the whole list of the top eight tips for surviving Swedish winter

October 4, 2013

Register / Log in
    About us
    Advertise

News & Features
    Jobs
    Housing
    Money
    Community
    More

National

Published: 4 Oct 2013 09:35 CET | Print version
    \
    Russia has stopped all adoptions to Swedish parents due to a court decision banning international adoptions to countries which afford homosexual couples equal marriage rights.

News & Features
    Jobs
    Housing
    Money
    Community
    More

National

Published: 4 Oct 2013 09:35 CET | Print version
    Share on reddit More Sharing Services

Russia has stopped all adoptions to Swedish parents due to a court decision banning international adoptions to countries which afford homosexual couples equal marriage rights.

Bildt slams Russia's 'economic warfare' (9 Sep 2013)
    Sweden clips rainbow nails for Russia Olympics (20 Aug 2013)
    'Russia doesn't pose any threat to Sweden' (16 Aug 2013)

"It's terrible. We have 13 children in Russian orphanages today who have been offered to parents in Sweden who they have actually met," said Jonas Friberg at the Adoptioncentrum agency in Sweden to Sveriges Television (SVT).

Representatives of the Russian authorities and the Swedish embassy met yesterday to discuss the legal situation with regard to adoptions of Russian children. Russia is seeking to sign agreements with individual countries to ensure that Russian children do not come to LGBT parents, according to the SVT report.

The Swedish Foreign Ministry has confirmed that no formal negotiations have begun, but the meeting concerned an attempt to clarify what the new law means in practice.

Russian politician Vitaly Milonov meanwhile called homosexuals "perverts" in an interview with SVT broadcast on Thursday, arguing that children would be better off staying in Russian orphanages.

"The perverts? No, it is unacceptable. Homosexuals are 'perverts' and should absolutely not be allowed to adopt children," he said. "Children who grow up in that kind of environment are destroyed psychologically."

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a bill banning "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations to minors" on June 30th this year.

more @ http://www.thelocal.se/50596/

Victoria's Secret Petitioned To Make Carmen Carrera Its First Transgender Model

"RuPaul's Drag Race" season three favorite Carmen Carrera made history when she publicly transitioned after the show's conclusion.

Since her "Drag Race" days, Carrera has been making headlines as a show-stopping part of W Magazine's "Showgirls" and a voice for transgender women through outlets such as GLAAD.

Now, following her appearance in the Marco Marco runway show, a new Change.org petition is calling on lingerie giant Victoria's Secret to reach out to Carrera and invite the trailblazing icon to become the brand's first transgender model.

The petition notes:
    "This petition is for Victoria's Secret to seriously consider taking Carmen Carrera on as an angel. By making Carmen the very first trans supermodel, you will help to end femmephobia within the LGBTIQQA community but also it will show the entire trans community that you embrace them as your patrons."

Want to help? Head on over to Change.org to add your voice to the conversation.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...usaolp00000009

i carmen. i hope it happens.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick...-equality-bill
    The Illinois House finally passed marriage equality legislation in a close vote. The Illinois Senate easily passed a concurrence vote on the amended bill. It will now go to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn for his signature.
    Marriage equality will soon be the law of the land in Illinois.

In a close 61-54 vote Tuesday, the Illinois House of Representatives passed Senate Bill 10, the Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act. Three Republicans voted for the bill, Rep. Ron Sandek, Rep. Ed Sullivan Jr., and former Minority Leader Tom Cross. Two Chicago Democrats, Derrick Smith and Rita Mayfield, voted ?present.?

The House gallery erupted in cheers when the final votes appeared on the board and Rep. Greg Harris, the bill?s chief sponsor, was hugged and applauded by his colleagues.

?I think that the vote today really demonstrated basic American principles of freedom and fairness,? Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan told BuzzFeed. ?So now, all couples ? regardless of who they love ? will have the rights and responsibilities of marriage as equal families in the state of Illinois. I am very excited about that.?

The bill, amended earlier today with a new effective date, was easily passed again by the Senate to reflect the change in a 32-21 vote just after 5 p.m.

The bill will now go to the desk of Gov. Pat Quinn, who has promised to sign it into law and is expected to do so any day now. As currently amended, the bill will go into law next summer and same-sex couples will be able to apply for marriage licenses on June 1, 2014.

In a statement, Quinn hailed the vote as a historic moment for the state.

?Today the Illinois House put our state on the right side of history,? Quinn said. ?I thank Representative Greg Harris and Senator Heather Steans, Speaker Madigan and Senate President Cullerton, the dedicated advocates who have worked day and night to get this bill to my desk, and members of the General Assembly who took a stand for equal rights. Illinois is a place that embraces all people, and today we are an example for the nation.?

Depending on when Quinn signs the bill, Illinois could become the 15th state to legalize marriage equality. Hawaii is debating a similar measure and Gov. Neil Abercrombie could potentially beat Quinn to it.

Rick Garica, who has advocating for LGBT rights legislation in Illinois for decades, received an unusual proposal moments after the bill passed: a proposal from his partner of over 32 years.

?Will you marry me in June 2014?? the text read.

?I just had hoped that we had the necessary votes there and was thrilled that we finally got it done,? Garica said. As for the proposal, Garcia said he was dumbfounded and floored.

He was standing next to Quinn, who congratulated him.

?I am still in shock, I think,? said Anthony Martinez, executive director of The Civil Rights Agenda. ?It is amazing that so many Illinois families are finally equal after so much work and so much pressure that had to be put on legislators and I am just so proud to live in Illinois today.?
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick...-equality-bill

POSTED: * 11/06/2013 05:59:05 AM PST
    Support pours in for student set afire aboard Oakland bus

OAKLAND -- Police on Tuesday arrested a 16-year-old Oakland High School student suspected of lighting a man's skirt on fire aboard an AC Transit bus Monday night, causing second- and third-degree burns, police said.

The victim, 18-year-old Luke Fleischman, was in stable condition Tuesday at the St. Francis Memorial Hospital burn unit in San Francisco, his mother Debbie Fleischman said. He is going to require massive skin grafting and a long recovery period, she said.

Fleischman was apparently asleep on the bus, heading home to East Oakland, when the suspect set fire to a skirt the victim was wearing, his mother said. The victim, a senior at Maybeck High School in Berkeley, does not identify as male or female but rather as nonbinary gender, an umbrella term covering any gender identity that does not fit within the gender binary.

"My son considers himself agender," Debbie Fleischman said. "He likes to wear a skirt. It's his statement. That's how he feels comfortable dressing." She said her son has been riding the bus home from school, oftentimes wearing a skirt, for the past year and has not had any problems or threats.

She said her son told her and his father, Karl Fleischman, about two years ago that he did not want to identify as a man or a woman. He also became politically involved in the issue of nonbinary gender, gathering 27,000 signatures on the Internet in hopes of catching President Obama's attention to the subject.

Fleischman attends Berkeley's Maybeck High School, a school of about 100 students that bears the motto "Open Doors, Open Minds." Maybeck's High School Director Trevor Cralle told NBC Bay Area on Wednesday that the teen is a "spectacular, great, excellent student." He didn't want to say more about Fleischman's gender identity unless he was given permission by the parents.

Fleischman was described to the newspaper as a straight-A student who is applying to universities, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The teen also has a fascination with public transportation, volunteering at Market Street Railway in San Francisco, his parents said.

Police said the attack happened about 5:20 p.m. Monday on an AC Transit 57 line bus with at least a dozen passengers on board. The bus was heading eastbound on MacArthur Boulevard near Ardley Avenue. The suspect, a junior at Oakland High School, boarded the bus near the school and saw Fleischman sleeping in a rear seat and lit his skirt on fire.

When the victim woke up, he tried unsuccessfully to put out the flames himself. Other passengers rushed to his aid and extinguished the flames, which severely burned the man's legs.

The suspect was detained on campus Tuesday afternoon and taken away by Oakland police, said Oakland Unified School District spokesman Troy Flint. He was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and mayhem and could face other charges, said Officer Anwawn Jones, the lead investigator on the case Police said the 11th-grader was identified through surveillance video on the bus.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...et-fire-aboard

Update: 16-year-old will be charged as adult with hate crime
    POSTED: * 11/07/2013 02:12:04 PM PST

OAKLAND -- A 16-year-old who told police homophobia caused him to light a sleeping teen's skirt on fire aboard an AC Transit bus Monday night has been charged as an adult and if convicted could go to prison for life, prosecutors announced Thursday.

Richard Thomas, an Oakland High School student, on Thursday was charged with aggravated mayhem and assault with means likely to produce great bodily injury, both felonies that include two hate crime enhancements.

Thomas' "violent and senseless criminal conduct resulted in severe and traumatic injuries to a young and entirely innocent victim," said Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley. "The intentional and callous nature of the crime is shocking and will not be tolerated in our community."

Felony aggravated assault carries a maximum prison sentence of life with the possibility of parole, the sentence for the assault charge is a maximum of eight years in prison, and each of the two hate crime enhancements carries one year each in prison, a spokeswoman for the Alameda County District Attorney said Thursday.

"During (the) suspect interview, the suspect stated he did it because he was homophobic," lead police investigator Officer Anwawn Jones in the probable cause statement.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...?source=redbar
    Last edited by *crickets*; 11-07-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Thread Information