Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clancie Ridley (27), Giulia Minola (21) and Fenja Siebenlist (23) were crushed to death in a stamped

Clancie Ridley (27), Giulia Minola (21) and Fenja Siebenlist (23) were crushed to death in a stamped

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2010/07/27/Clancie_Ridley_(27),_Giulia_Minola_(21),_Fenja_Sie benlist_(23),__Dennis_Stobbe_(18),_Clara_Zapater_( 22),_Marta_Acosta_(22),_Kathinka_Tairi_(20),_and_1 4_others_were_crushed_to_death_in_a_stampede_at_th e_Love_Parade_music_festival_in_Germany

Festivalgoers killed at Love Parade in Germany

At least 10 people have been killed and 15 others injured in a stamped after mass panic broke out at a music festival in Germany, police have said.

The deaths occurred in a tunnel at the Love Parade in the city of Duisburg in the west of the country, where thousands had gathered for the annual techno music festival.

A reporter for German newspaper Bild, Frank Schneider, who was at the festival, said: "I alone have counted 11 dead, it looked shocking."

He said the dead were covered with sheets.

An 18-year-old festivalgoer, Raver Marius, told Bild: "There was no escape, people were standing over me like a wall. I was afraid I die."

Another raver told the newspaper: "I was lucky, found a small gap, but two women next to me died."

Police confirmed that there were at least 10 deaths. Another 10 people had to be resuscitated, reports said.

The German news agency DAPD reported that the stampede broke out after authorities tried to stop thousands of people from entering the area where the parade was being held.

The victims were crushed and that emergency workers had trouble getting through to them, the news agency said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/24/love-parade-festival-germany-death

The news over here says that 15 people are dead now.

The love parade is a populair rave- and technofestival which attracts people from al over europe.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

the color nine

Re: Clancie Ridley (27), Giulia Minola (21) and Fenja Siebenlist (23) were crushed to death in a stampede at the Love Parade music festival in Germany

The have upped the total to 15 thus far.

Re: Clancie Ridley (27), Giulia Minola (21) and Fenja Siebenlist (23) were crushed to death in a stampede at the Love Parade music festival in Germany

[quote author=Morbid_much link=topic=26214.msg1679225#msg1679225 date=1279993419]

An 18-year-old festivalgoer, Raver Marius, told Bild: "There was no escape, people were standing over me like a wall. I was afraid I die."

[/quote]

the kid's name is raver? :lol:

ugh. this is one of the reasons i am terrified of large crowds of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

oh my god my brothers girlfiend was there.
    im so scared now. please let me know if you find names, please.

Just saw it on the news..I think there will be more dead people :-(

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26214.msg1679243#msg1679243 date=1279995276]
    [/quote]

Wow really? I hope she is ok..I will look for you

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26214.msg1679243#msg1679243 date=1279995276]
    [/quote]

Wow.  Does she have a cell you or your brother can try?

http://whitewatch.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/15-crushed-to-death-and-over-100-injured-after-stampede-at-germanys-love-parade/
      A few more pics here...

[/quote]

Did he tried to call her? Maybe the phones over there aren't working because everybody is trying to call..I found this number, +49(0)20394000, it's for the family of the people that are possible injured. Maybe he can try that?

[quote author=Suus88 link=topic=26214.msg1679247#msg1679247 date=1279995606]
    Just saw it on the news..I think there will be more dead people :-(

Wow really? I hope she is ok..I will look for you
    [/quote]

Thank you!
    She was taking a trip across Europe. The people she was staying with in Germany were going to Love Parade so she was so excited she got to go.
    Its a big deal to go to a European Massive because the ones over here are a joke.
    Was it just the people trying to crash it that got killed?

[quote author=holly link=topic=26214.msg1679251#msg1679251 date=1279995897]
    Wow.  Does she have a cell you or your brother can try?
    [/quote]
    No they were talking thru email while she was traveling thru Europe. Scary
    Thank you for the pics

Wow. I've been to the love parade festival before. It was a lot of fun and generally the people are, well, loving. It was way more about music and the tantalizing sex scene then this

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26214.msg1679253#msg1679253 date=1279996005]
    Its a big deal to go to a European Massive because the ones over here are a joke.
    Was it just the people trying to crash it that got killed?
    [/quote]

I think there were too many people in the tunnel (or in general). And then they closed the entrance or something. Don't know why there was panic, but when it's so crowded, you can't really go back. People are in front of you and behind you.

[quote author=whackjob link=topic=26214.msg1679239#msg1679239 date=1279994950]
    the kid's name is raver? :lol:

ugh. this is one of the reasons i am terrified of large crowds of people.
    [/quote]

No. His name is Marius. You call guys who listen to Techno "Ravers". You know, like you call kids who listen to Metal "Metalheads" or something like this.

This is absolutely crazy. Duisburg is twenty minutes far from here if you take the train. A friend of mine wanted to celebrate her 21st birthday there today. Luckily, she decided to stay at home with her friends.

What an absolute desaster.  :-(

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=11243466&cid=ESPNheadline

Ugh, people are just so fucking impatient and panic and act like cattle in a stampede. it's a wonder we all make it to work every damn day in our cars without it turning into a demolition derby.

R.I.P to the fallen at the Love Parade

[quote author=StarrySky87 link=topic=26214.msg1679266#msg1679266 date=1279996857]
    No. His name is Marius. You call guys who listen to Techno "Ravers". You know, like you call kids who listen to Metal "Metalheads" or something like this.

This is absolutely crazy. Duisburg is twenty minutes far from here if you take the train. A friend of mine wanted to celebrate her 21st birthday there today. Luckily, she decided to stay at home with her friends.

What an absolute desaster.  :-(
    [/quote]

i know what a raver is, hence the amusement in the name. a raver named raver. he had to be born in the 90s, etc.  it was the capitalization of raver in the article was what threw me off, since it's not normally a proper noun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

They have upped the total to 17 now. And more then a hundred people got injured. Must have been horrific.

The festival drew about 1.4 million people to Duisburg. It was so crowded that people that were already on the festival ground were still partying and had no idea what was going on outside. 

[/quote]

I hope she is ok and that you will hear from her soon. Must be a very scary thought :-(

If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

What a massive festival!

Such a sad sad loss. My love goes out to all the fellow dance music goers and the ones that were lost.

I know what it feels like to be trampled on by a crowd. Happened to me at the big day out in Auckland when Peaches was playing. I had security guards dive in to fish me out. So scary.
    I don&#39;t use Myspace :P<br />http://www.facebook.com/MoniqueSeil

Body count is at 18. This article says 40+ injured, another I found says 200.

Officials and eyewitnesses spoke of a mass stampede in which people were trampled under foot. At least 40 others were injured, some seriously, and many police and ambulance personnel were seen giving the kiss of life to victims.

What should have been a celebration of techno-music and dance turned into horror near the field where hundreds of thousands gathered during the afternoon. Many continued to party even as the air was filled the noise of police sirens, unaware of the tragedy taking place behind them.

Rescue squads had to fight their way through an ocean of people, many of whom were inebriated although friendly. “They simply had no idea of the scale of the tragedy,” said a police spokesman.

A state of emergency was declared in the city by the local authority as the extent of the horror unfolded.

Officials estimated that between 500,000 and a million people descended on Duisburg for the day-long techno music festival, that was first held in Berlin in 1989 but moved to the Ruhr area, Germany’s former industrial heartland, in 2007 following disagreements with the capital’s authorities over logistics and security.

Police said the victims were trampled to death in an underpass connecting a railway goods yard where the partygoers assembled to the parade ground itself.

“It was hell,” said Karl Lowenstein, 21, from Bielefeld. “The tunnel was dark, it was full. Something happened - whether someone tripped or someone fell I don’t know. But there was a stampede to get to the other end and those who fell… well, many of them never got up again.”

Another witness who gave his first name as Fabio said he tried to warn police before the stampede occurred that a catastrophe was building.

“A friend and I got out as hundreds more poured in,” he said. “We tried to tell them to close it down, but they didn’t listen. This was about 45 minutes before people were killed.”

Police and ambulances raced down the neighbouring A59 motorway to try to reach the dead and dying but complained that thousands of youngsters meandering over the carriageways hindered the rescue effort. Helicopters also landed on the autobahn to ferry the seriously injured to hospital.

Crowds of people going one way through the underpass had “totally overfilled it,” according to police. But there were reports that others had also tried to force their way in the opposite direction. “They met in the middle and there was a tragedy,” reported Radio Bayern.

More than 1,200 police officers were on duty but officials said they had been powerless to prevent the accident. “It is a catastrophe that we are struggling to cope with,“ a police spokesman shortly after the disaster at 5.00pm on Saturday.

Kevin Krausgartner, 21, from the nearby city of Wuppertal, was in the tunnel when the stampede occurred. “I have never seen anything like it,” he said. “I saw 25 people piled on top of one another, a huge heap. I cried.

“The people couldn’t get any air. I saw the dead there. One person was completely pale and I wanted to give him some water but a medic said that wouldn’t help him - he was already gone.

“I saw police on the bridge just standing there and they didn’t do anything.”

Kai Vogelman, a spokesman for the Malteser International aid organisation - similar to the Red Cross - said partying continued in the northern sector of the Love Parade ground while the emergency services struggled to cope with the disaster in the southern area.

Police commissioner Jürgen Kieskemper said: “The situation is chaotic. We have much to clarify here.”

The main railway station in Duisburg was closed because of the number of young people wandering across the tracks, a railway spokesman said.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7908522/18-dead-in-Love-Parade-stampede.html

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=26214.msg1679489#msg1679489 date=1280036595]
    Body count is at 18. This article says 40+ injured, another I found says 200.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7908522/18-dead-in-Love-Parade-stampede.html
    [/quote]

Now its at 19.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/25/germany.panic.deaths/index.html?hpt=T2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTPpkb81oU

HG have you heard any news?&nbsp;
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

[size=14pt]Love Parade permanently canceled after 19 killed in panic[/size]
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-07-24-germany-love-parade_N.htm

DUISBURG, Germany (AP) — The death toll rose to 19 on Sunday and police said that 342 had been injured in a panicked crush of partygoers in an overcrowded tunnel that served as the sole entrance to a German festival billed as the world's largest techno music party.

The tragedy shocked the nation and dominated news coverage on Sunday. Many were wondering how such a tragedy could occur in a country that in recent years has organized much bigger events, such as the World Cup four years ago, that went off smoothly.

This year's organizer of the Love Parade said the event — which was held this year for two decades now — would never be held again.

&quot;The Love Parade was always a peaceful event and a happy party&quot; but would forever be overshadowed by the tragedy, Rainer Schaller said.

&quot;It's over for the Love Parade,&quot; he said.

He spoke at a press conference where authorities faced tough questions, but provided few details, about why up to hundreds of thousands of people were funneled through a single highway underpass onto the grounds of former freight railway station used to host the party.

Rainer Wendt, leader of a major German police union, told the Bild daily that his group warned a year ago in vain that Duisburg was an unacceptable location for the Love Parade.

&quot;The city is too narrow, too small to manage the masses of people,&quot; Wendt was quoted as saying by Bild's website. He said the blame rests with the city mayor and the Love Parade organizers.

The founder of the Love Parade, Matthias Roeingh — generally known by his artist's name, Dr. Motte — blamed this year's organizers, saying &quot;one single entrance through a tunnel lends itself to disaster. I am very sad.&quot;

German media reported that there were at least 1.4 million people but police did not confirm that estimate. They said they have no exact figure but suggested that it was much lower based on the fact that the railway service registered 105,000 as arriving in the city by train in the preceding hours.

Detlef von Schmeling, the police chief in Duisburg, said that 16 of the 19 people killed have been identified so far. He said they include four foreigners — an Australian, an Italian, a Chinese citizen and a person from Holland.

Von Schmeling said their ages ranged from just over 20 to 40.

Witnesses said officers in Duisburg, a city near Duesseldorf in western Germany, closed the end of the tunnel emptying onto the festival grounds after they become overcrowded around 5 p.m. They told revelers over loudspeakers to turn around and walk back in the other direction. But the entrance to the tunnel did not appear to have been closed and people continued piling in, sparking a panic and then a deadly crush.

Witnesses described a desperate scene, as people piled up on each other or scrambled over others who had fallen. TV images showed huge masses of people packed inside the wide tunnel and people struggling to escape up an embankment when the chaos broke out.

Partygoer Udo Sandhoefer told n-tv television that even though no one else was being let in, people still streamed into the tunnel, causing &quot;a real mass panic.&quot;

&quot;At some point the column (of people) got stuck, probably because everything was closed up front, and we saw that the first people were already lying on the ground,&quot; he said.

City officials chose not to evacuate the site, fearing it might spark more panic, and many people continued partying, unaware of the deaths.Rescue workers carried away the injured as techno music thundered in the background.

Other workers had trouble getting to the victims, hampered by the huge crowds. Local media reported that the cellphone system in Duisburg broke down temporarily and frantic parents trying to reach their children instead drove to the scene to look for them.

However, most streets downtown were blocked by police and the highways leading to the city were jammed. Several media outlets also reported that rescue helicopters had problems taking away the heavily injured because there was not enough space for them to land.

German leaders, including Chancellor Angela Merkel, voiced shock that an event meant to celebrate youth, peace and love could turn so deadly.

&quot;The young people came to celebrate and instead there are dead and injured,&quot; Merkel said Saturday. &quot;I am horrified by the suffering and the pain.&quot;

It was the worst accident of its kind since nine people were crushed to death and 43 more were injured at a rock festival in Roskilde, Denmark, in 2000. That fatal accident occurred when a huge crowd pushed forward during a Pearl Jam gig.

The Love Parade, where people from across Europe gather to dance, watch floats and listen to DJs spin, was once an institution in Berlin, but has been held in the industrial Ruhr region of western Germany since 2007.

The original Berlin Love Parade grew from a 1989 peace demonstration into a huge outdoor celebration of club culture that drew about 1.5 million people at its peak in 1999. But it suffered from financial problems and tensions with city officials in later years, and eventually moved.

20 deaths then.

I guess they should have closed the entrance to the tunnel before they closed the exit.&nbsp; :| Avoiding crowds is good for your health.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=26214.msg1679581#msg1679581 date=1280071985]
    I guess they should have closed the entrance to the tunnel before they closed the exit.&nbsp; :| Avoiding crowds is good for your health.
    [/quote]

Yeah, wtf?&nbsp; &quot;Let's keep letting people IN but close off their way to get OUT&quot;&nbsp; Brilliant.&nbsp;

I've never been to a music festival.&nbsp; That many people in one place would make me panic, even if in an open field.

[quote author=lulupop link=topic=26214.msg1679539#msg1679539 date=1280061839]
    HG have you heard any news?&nbsp;
    [/quote]

No, My brother hasd been trying to get a hold of her and hes really freaking out. He kept texting her and telling her to text back/email. He called me every hour from work last night and asked me to log into his email and check, but nothing&nbsp; :| i told him to look at this thread or the news but he doesnt want to see any pics or vids. i will let you know as soon as we hear from her, which will hopefully be today

Thanks&nbsp;

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=26214.msg1679624#msg1679624 date=1280081069]
    No, My brother hasd been trying to get a hold of her and hes really freaking out. He kept texting her and telling her to text back/email. He called me every hour from work last night and asked me to log into his email and check, but nothing &nbsp;:| i told him to look at this thread or the news but he doesnt want to see any pics or vids. i will let you know as soon as we hear from her, which will hopefully be today

Thanks &nbsp;
    [/quote]

Wow, that's terrible. &nbsp;I hope youguys find out something soon.

Did you see this? &nbsp;
    At a heated press conference in the western German city of Duisburg, officials said 16 of the dead had been identified, including four foreigners, from Australia, Italy, the Netherlands and China.

So are they saying that the others were all from Germany? &nbsp;
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fur...169/story.html

Found this article too!&nbsp;
    At a heated press conference in the western German city of Duisburg, officials said 18 of the dead had been identified, including six from Australia, Italy, the Netherlands, China and two from Spain.
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/interna...icle533556.ece

Such a shame. Should have been an amazing party. RIP to all the unfortunate ones. Making it the Love Parade was on my bucket list.

Thread Information