View Poll Results: What is your preferred climate?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard northern...warm summers, cold winters, frequent snow.

47 26.86%
  • Hot, Hot, hot! And humid (think Florida)

25 14.29%
  • Standard Southern...Hot summers, cool winters, little to no snow

44 25.14%
  • Moderately warm, lots of rain (Pacific Northwest).

32 18.29%
  • Desert...keep it warm with little rain.

11 6.29%
  • Cold. Frozen tundra cold.

16 9.14%
Page 71 of 82 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2048

Thread: Discuss the weather here...

hahaha yup my block heater has been plugged in all week, and i'm not even in northern ontario. even put gas line antifreeze in my tank yesterday. thankful i did. i lived in northern alberta for a year and -40 was their norm. it's good to be home :)

haha. last winter, my college had a snow day on account of about a half inch of snow that fell over night. i was confused by that, but hey, why not?

i blame it on us not getting enough snow to know what to do when it happens. also, i'll bet too many teachers were calling in because they had to drive up the mountain pass and didn't have chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

It was -7 here with a wind chill of -18.

All the schools got cancelled for the day around here.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    It was -7 here with a wind chill of -18.

All the schools got cancelled for the day around here.
    Most schools did over here. All but the private schools, who don't understand that some kids don't get dropped off by their mom in a cozy BMW.

Naturally the people who send their kids to these schools are posting on FB about the pussification of America because of the school closures.

I told one of them to walk to work and then come back to their post.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Weirdest day ever. Went to bed last night -5. Woke this AM +51. Now it's 17 heading down to a forecast low of -6.

Wind gust 50+ MPH. Clear and sunny one minute and the next it's like this:

Oh and BTW: School is in session.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    haha. last winter, my college had a snow day on account of about a half inch of snow that fell over night. i was confused by that, but hey, why not?

i blame it on us not getting enough snow to know what to do when it happens. also, i'll bet too many teachers were calling in because they had to drive up the mountain pass and didn't have chains.

So y'all are basically exactly like Southerners? I had no idea ;)

I told my husband that if we get even a little precipitation while the temperature is this low, we're gonna have a repeat of last year ...

Fortunately, there's no precipitation in the forecast until the temp increases this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

we are more like the south here than i care to admit to.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    Most schools did over here. All but the private schools, who don't understand that some kids don't get dropped off by their mom in a cozy BMW.

Naturally the people who send their kids to these schools are posting on FB about the pussification of America because of the school closures.

I told one of them to walk to work and then come back to their post.

Our schools are closed again today. Lots of blowing snow and crazy wind chills.

I'm of a different opinion on school closings. I think when the temps are minus', then I think it's a valid reason to cancel school for the day. It's to risky for the little kids. Plus, there are a lot of kids that live outside the city limits. Roads are terrible.
    Now if we lived somewhere like North Dakota, then I could see why you couldn't cancel school everytime it got extremely cold.

Yeah, -4 with a -18 wind chill?? Fuck yeah close that shit. 14? Suck it up, I say.

puzz, in the middle of the freeze the temp got up to 51???? that is some crazy shit. we see some crazy weather changes in iowa, but not form below zero to 50s and back. my head would explode from the pressure. no really, this shit fucks with my head and my sinuses are already a fucking mess.

be safe and warm peeps. it's -21 windchill in dsm this morning, the blowing snow is causing white out conditions and you cannot even tell that i already shoveled twice since the snow stopped.

Jesus, Puzz! Where are you? That looks like the roads on the way to Laramie the many times I've driven up there in bad weather.

It's 18 degrees here, which is awesome, but the freeze was so bad last night it literally took about thirty minutes to "chip" the ice from my windshield. No scraping. Straight up chip, chip, chipping. I never thought I'd get outta my fucking driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Our schools are closed again today. Lots of blowing snow and crazy wind chills.

I'm of a different opinion on school closings. I think when the temps are minus', then I think it's a valid reason to cancel school for the day. It's to risky for the little kids. Plus, there are a lot of kids that live outside the city limits. Roads are terrible.
    Now if we lived somewhere like North Dakota, then I could see why you couldn't cancel school everytime it got extremely cold.
    The roads aren't that bad here but I put groceries in the trunk of my car last night without gloves on-big mistake. They hurt so f-Ing bad

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    puzz, in the middle of the freeze the temp got up to 51???? that is some crazy shit. we see some crazy weather changes in iowa, but not form below zero to 50s and back. my head would explode from the pressure. no really, this shit fucks with my head and my sinuses are already a fucking mess.

be safe and warm peeps. it's -21 windchill in dsm this morning, the blowing snow is causing white out conditions and you cannot even tell that i already shoveled twice since the snow stopped.
    Yep. That's why we call it the Banana Belt. We can have shirt sleeve weather and a blizzard in the same days. Just don't plan any outdoor activities that you can't move indoors. I'm really bitter as it happened in the middle of the night. By the time I got up it had dropped back into the upper 30's. If I'd have known, I'd have got up and went outside and sat while the dogs played in the moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Jesus, Puzz! Where are you? That looks like the roads on the way to Laramie the many times I've driven up there in bad weather.

It's 18 degrees here, which is awesome, but the freeze was so bad last night it literally took about thirty minutes to "chip" the ice from my windshield. No scraping. Straight up chip, chip, chipping. I never thought I'd get outta my fucking driveway.
    I'm in Rapid City, SD. It's a balmy 10 and sunny today.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    Yeah, -4 with a -18 wind chill?? Fuck yeah close that shit. 14? Suck it up, I say.
    Yeah, but there are still those self righteous assholes who say "I WALKED 15 MILES UPHILL BOTH WAYS" and for some reason they think that made them a better person. From all I can see, it made them bitter assholes. Kids dont get spoiled from having an extra day of cartoons with grandma. They get spoiled by shitty parents who buy their love and don't teach them how to appreciate shit.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Yeah, but there are still those self righteous assholes who say "I WALKED 15 MILES UPHILL BOTH WAYS" and for some reason they think that made them a better person. From all I can see, it made them bitter assholes. Kids dont get spoiled from having an extra day of cartoons with grandma. They get spoiled by shitty parents who buy their love and don't teach them how to appreciate shit.
    But those are the parents that usually are "oh my poor Timmy said it was too cold to get out of bed so he doesn't have to go to school." But I bet if he wanted to get up and go to McDonald's later she be bundling his ass up for some nuggets. I'm all for canceling school when there truly is a need but not just your poor baby can't be a little colder than normal for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 48nascarfan View Post
    I bet if he wanted to get up and go to McDonald's later she be bundling his ass up for some nuggets

I feel like everyone is confused on what side of the argument everyone else is on.

It's not just a little cold outside. It's fucking negative degrees. There are kids without adequate clothing, and/or who have to walk distances to school. I'm also sure schools have a hard time heating their buildings adequately when it's this cold without breaking their furnaces.

Stop fucking bitching about your kid having a snow day just because there isn't 25 feet of fucking snow outside. There are reasons beyond your (rhetorical) comprehension, so get over it while you anger post comfortably from the warmth of your living room.

Your kid isn't going to become a weakling spoiled brat from that.

I don't think anyone is saying the kids should have school when it's negative degrees, are they?
    Last edited by debk589; 01-09-2015 at 12:07 PM.

I feel like everyone is confused on what side of the argument everyone else is on.

It's not just a little cold outside. It's fucking negative degrees. There are kids without adequate clothing, and/or who have to walk distances to school. I'm also sure schools have a hard time heating their buildings adequately when it's this cold without breaking their furnaces.

Stop fucking bitching about your kid having a snow day just because there isn't 25 feet of fucking snow outside. There are reasons beyond your (rhetorical) comprehension, so get over it while you anger post comfortably from the warmth of your living room.

I guess I missed a few posts, as well, .

I assume I was one of those rare moms who kept my kids home even when they didn't call a snow day. If I deemed to too cold, or the roads to risky, my kids were in. Period. I wasn't sending them out to stand at a freezing bus stop and I certainly wasn't going to put them at risk on icy roads. Colorado is infamous for keeping school open even under 800 feet of snow.

Fuck it. One day of coloring ain't worth it.

They can always color at home.

I think we are agreeing. It's just here it wasn't that cold to close schools. My kids did have school. I just thought the people complaining school was open were ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by 48nascarfan View Post
    I think we are agreeing. It's just here it wasn't that cold to close schools. My kids did have school. I just thought the people complaining school was open were ridiculous.
    You're kinda confusing the shit out of me. I was saying parents are complaining about kids not having school and using the "15 miles both ways" argument, and you said those parents are the same ones who want to keep their kids home and then bundle them up to take them to mcdonalds.

Me:
    You:
    But those are the parents that usually are "oh my poor Timmy said it was too cold to get out of bed so he doesn't have to go to school." But I bet if he wanted to get up and go to McDonald's later she be bundling his ass up for some nuggets. I'm all for canceling school when there truly is a need but not just your poor baby can't be a little colder than normal for a day or two.

We're talking about completely different parents there. I'm talking about parents who will send their kid into a blizzard to "keep them from being pussies", and you're talking about parents who keep their kids home at 20 degrees.

Where I am, schools aren't getting closed for 20 degrees. It was -2 without windchill yesterday. And there were parents bitching about school being canceled for the extreme weather.

It's fucking absurd. They probably just dont want to be bothered with their shitty kids. Either that, or the simple minded dumbasses can't make logic out of it being called a snow day if there's no snow.

And I don't know where you live, but if you live where it's typically pretty hot, and it gets to 20 degrees with maybe some ice, I could understand why they'd close school.

And also - if a school administration calls a day, parents need to suck it up. They're given an amount of designated days to use as they see fit. Kids aren't getting away with lesser education.

As you can tell I'm really fucking sick of this argument and the amount of it I've been exposed to in the last 48hrs. I've never seen so much mindless pointless 'kids these days have it so easy" bitching in my life from grown adults.

Where I am, schools aren't getting closed for 20 degrees. It was -2 without windchill yesterday. And there were parents bitching about school being canceled for the extreme weather.
    Yeah those parents are total assholes.

I have no problem with a snow day when everyone agrees the weather is too bad to be out and about. But the problem with calling a snow day on a day where the weather is marginal is this. Boss say's I don't care what the school system says. I need YOU to be at work. It's just a little cold. No reason to close for that. Then Mom (or less likely Dad) is scrambling to find child care, taking the day off and earning black marks from the boss, or leaving the kids home unsupervised so they can spend this day that's "too cold" walking to the store, sledding in the street, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I have no problem with a snow day when everyone agrees the weather is too bad to be out and about. But the problem with calling a snow day on a day where the weather is marginal is this. Boss say's I don't care what the school system says. I need YOU to be at work. It's just a little cold. No reason to close for that. Then Mom (or less likely Dad) is scrambling to find child care, taking the day off and earning black marks from the boss, or leaving the kids home unsupervised so they can spend this day that's "too cold" walking to the store, sledding in the street, etc.
    I'm lucky. I've always been at a job where I could tote my kids in and set them up with toys, etc, while I worked.

Thread Information