Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Morcombe's (13) remains were found in bushland 8 years after he was abducted by a sex offender

Re: Daniel Morcombe - 13 year old missing since December 2003 - Australia

Hello Trep!, good to hear from you, and i hope everything has been well with you!

I share your sentiment that it's been a long wait for this inquest to start, and what a way to start with that shock of Donald Rogers!

You raise a lot of points! We now know the true nature/involvement of Donald Rogers. Amazing how if you go back and look at the news articles/court documents, you can see everything from a totally different viewpoint. And more disturbing viewpoint

RAY DAVY THREATENS TO ACCUSE ROGERS OF 'SEXUAL ASSAULTING' SOMEONE

From your article
    "The plan developed from kidnapping the deceased and bashing him to obtain his personal identification number and accusing him of sexual assaulting ... to a more involved plan," Mr MacKenzie said.

As you have rightly pointed out, Ray Davy would accuse Donald Rogers of sexually assaulting WHO? Rogers is a 72 yo old man, him sexually assaulting someone would be unheard of, unless thhose allegations were of a pedophilic nature.

Therefore, Roger's pedophile nature must have been known to Davy for some time. Also, Roger's is known to have 'pedophile associates' so these associates may have been known to RRay DAVY for some time.

More to come!

JACKWAY MOVED FROM TOWNSVILLE PRISON TO BRISBANE

The prime suspect in the abduction/murder of Daniel Morcombe, Douglas Brian Jackway, has been accused of making a home made knife and attemptin to incite a roof-top riot in the Townsville Correctional Centre.

He has been transferred to Brisbane and kept in a maximum security wing under 24 hour watch.

Jackway's transfer to the Brisbane prison must also coincide for the possibilitiy that Jackway himself will be called to give evidence at the Daniel Morcombe inquest.

they also have a new picture of him. He is one scary bastard.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/local/qld/

Nice strategy Jackway. I think he is going to try and pull the "i'm completely bat shit crazy and therefore not mentally competent to give evidence" trick.  

they also have a new picture of him. He is one scary bastard.
    It is the eyes that disturb me the most. Jackway has the those blank black eyes that are devoid of a soul. Whether or not he is directly (or indirectly) involved in DM's disappearance, he is entirely sub-human and nauseating beyond belief. A true sociopath.

I can hardly bear to look at Daniel's poor mother in that video. The pain across her face is so raw and absolutely gut wrenching. Listening to the testimonies of witnesses must be agonising, but I have no doubt the Morcombe family will stand their ground and stay strong throughout this process.

It has been made clear now, beyond just speculation, that it is likely more than one person was involved in this crime. If Andrew Jackson's testimony is accurate about the sighting in Chevallum, there must have been at least two people in that car.

I do believe Jackson may have seen something significant that day. I found the Chevallum location interesting because remember back in 2004 information was released that witnesses had seen a blue car with two male occupants "acting suspiciously", travelling down Eudlo Road / Bamboo Road, which is in the Chevallum area. The car was later seen disappearing into bushland at the end of Bamboo Road. See here:

Monday, 14th June 2004.

Search for missing teenager Daniel Morcombe
    By NEIL HICKEY

POLICE yesterday stopped and interviewed hundreds of hinterland motorists as the search for missing teenager Daniel Morcombe took a new turn.

Acting on information from two separate sources about people in a blue car acting suspiciously on Eudlo and Bamboo roads on the afternoon Daniel went missing, police set up roadblocks at the scene in a bid to jog the memoriesof passing drivers.

Acting Detective Inspector Paul Schmidt said police fielded the first call in February when a caller claimed a blue car "with unseen occupants'' was seen travelling down Bamboo Road,on the afternoon Daniel went missing.

He said police responded to that call by ordering a search of 200 metres ofbushland just off the dead-end road.

Det Insp Schmidt said a second call just over two weeks ago identified a blue car with two male occupants "acting suspiciously'' a short time earlier on Eudlo Road, which cuts across Bamboo Road.

He would not elaborate on the manner of the suspicious activity but did reveal a second, but wider, search of the area was conducted following the second call.

The officer said the roadblocks were set up because police were "working on the assumption it would be a vehicle of someone who lives locally who would be travelling on this road''.

He confirmed the car involved in both sightings was similar in description to the older model blue sedan seen at the site where Daniel went missing more than six months ago.

Det Insp Schmidt said the eight-hour operation, in which about 255 cars were stopped, had created a number of leads.

Yesterday's roadblocks were held barely 2km from Nambour Connection Road where Daniel disappeared on December 7.

http://www.projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=667.0
    At the very least, this inquest is giving us something more of an accurate timeline. Should be some interesting days coming with more information released about persons of interest..  

Here are some more up-dates from today regarding allegations of police incompetence (more or less) during phases of the investigation. There are conflicting accounts from both sides, you be the judge.  

Police investigating Daniel Morcombe disappearance ignored FBI advice, inquest hears
    Peter Hall
    The Courier-Mail October 14, 2010

AN FBI agent's advice on how best to deal with a prime suspect was ignored by police investigating the Daniel Morcombe case, an inquest heard yesterday.

The inquest before State Coroner Michael Barnes was told Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent James Beasley, a crime expert from the Behavioural Analysis Unit at Quantico outside Washington in the US was flown in to help Queensland police in 2005.

Special Agent Beasley had reviewed evidence from a series of interviews conducted with a key suspect known as Person of Interest 1, or P1, and found a number of "conflicting accounts".

Agent Beasley then made specific recommendations on what detectives should focus on when the suspect was re-interviewed.

Solicitor Peter Boyce, representing the Morcombe family at the inquest into 13-year-old Daniel's suspected abduction on December 7, 2003, raised the FBI report when questioning Detective Sergeant Tracey Barnes yesterday.

Sgt Barnes was giving evidence about the police strategies employed during the seven-year investigation.

Mr Boyce said that Agent Beasley had recommended that as P1 had been interviewed a number of times, another interview should deal with the inconsistent information he had provided previously.

He asked Sgt Barnes whether P1 had been spoken to again.

"My understanding is he was interviewed again," she said.

"I did not conduct the interview."

However, a check of the exhibit list – documents prepared by police for the coroner – revealed that P1 had not been interviewed following the FBI agent's visit.

Mr Boyce again asked: "Do we know whether he (P1) has been re-interviewed?"

Sgt Barnes replied: "I would say the answer is no."

In earlier questioning by Peter Johns, counsel assisting the Coroner, Sgt Barnes revealed the magnitude of the Morcombe case.

This included 17,840 job logs, each representing a piece of evidence or information relating to the investigation, more than 10,000 interviews, 100 investigators and 33 persons of interest. There were 84 eyewitnesses who saw Daniel, a blue car, white van, or one or two men near the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass at Woombye in 2003.

Five witnesses – Kaylene Densley, Andrew Jackson, Karen Brady, Jane Mahony and Mark Engle – gave evidence yesterday.

Three said they had undergone regression therapy (been hypnotised) in a bid to give police better clues, including pieces of registration numbers or more detailed descriptions of suspects.

The inquest continues at Maroochydore today.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/police-investigating-daniel-morcombe-disappearance-ignored-fbi-advice-inquest-hears/story-e6freoof-1225938380991

Morcombe cops 'didn't ignore FBI advice' Daniel Hurst
    October 14, 2010 - 5:06PM

Police investigating Daniel Morcombe's disappearance have rejected claims they failed to act on advice from an FBI agent who was called in to help solve the case.

A day after being grilled at an inquest over perceived “oversights” in the seven-year-long investigation, a key officer who worked on the labour-intensive case today moved to clarify her earlier evidence.

Daniel, 13, was last seen waiting for a bus under an overpass on the Nambour Connection Road at Woombye, on the Sunshine Coast, on the afternoon of December 7, 2003.

Police sought help from FBI agent James Beasley about two years after the disappearance and he put forward 13 recommendations which he thought may assist the case.

The Maroochydore Coroners Court was yesterday told police may not have reinterviewed one of the persons of interest, despite a recommendation he should be confronted over conflicting accounts provided thus far.

But Detective Sergeant Tracey Barnes told the inquest today the man had in fact been cross-examined about the contradictory stories during closed Crime and Misconduct Commission hearings in late 2007.

Detective Sergeant Barnes, who was not involved in all aspects of the investigation, said she had been advised most of the 13 recommendations had been done or acted on.

Completed recommendations included seeking more information about Daniel's background from friends, associates and teachers, and obtaining lists of itinerant workers and fruit pickers in the area.

Detective Sergeant Barnes said a suggestion that police should account for anyone who made sudden, unexplained movements from the area was done through social security.

She said seeking advice from the FBI expert was just one of many strategies used by police in their investigation.

It was considered important for “fresh eyes” to look over the case but some of the suggestions had been geared towards the US style of policing, she said.

Detective Sergeant Barnes also defended a decision not to send for forensic examination a bag of clothes given to the teenager's father by a person of interest.

Asked why she and a colleague did not forward the evidence to the John Tonge Centre in Brisbane for further analysis, she said there was “no reason for it”.

“The person who delivered the clothes to the Morcombes had obtained them from someone who we believed had no credibility in relation to the information that she had been receiving,” she said.

Detective Sergeant Barnes said the person of interest – identified in court only as P3 – had since made admissions during CMC hearings that she had provided information to the Morcombes that was in no way related to their son's case.

“Her credibility was completely destroyed,” she said.

Detective Sergeant Barnes said P3 and at least one other of the 35 persons of interest – none of whom had been elevated to the level of 'suspect' – had made admissions to being involved in Daniel's abduction on the Sunshine Coast on December 7, 2003.

However, Detective Sergeant Barnes said she was not across the finer details of investigations into these people, and that the court would hear more evidence about this during the next block of evidence later this month.

She said police were continuing to obtain and investigate fresh information on a daily basis in the Morcombe case, which she described as "the biggest investigation" in Queensland police history.

The inquest has been held at the request of Daniel's parents, Bruce and Denise Morcombe, in the hope it will shed light on Daniel's suspected abduction from the side of Nambour Connection Road.

Fiona Theuerkauf, a passenger on the bus that drove past Daniel while he was waiting on the roadside, also gave evidence this afternoon.

Ms Theuerkauf said she saw a boy wearing a red shirt “standing there waving a stick around”.

“I guess it just seemed strange, a little kid waiting there,” she said.

“He waved the bus down but we just kept driving.”

Ms Theuerkauf said she looked back as the bus drove past and also saw a man, who had a tattoo on his arm and was aged in his late 20s or early 30s.

In her statement to police, Ms Theuerkauf described the man as looking “a bit dirty, like a farmer gone wrong”.

She also recalled earlier seeing a bicycle rider several hundred metres from the scene.

The inquest continues.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/morcombe-cops-didnt-ignore-fbi-advice-20101014-16lhx.html

[quote author=Buick8888 link=topic=20085.msg1312964#msg1312964 date=1245740661]
    Hi Trepid

I like your summary, i have been following this case for years hoping for a breakthrough.  I too am appalled and suspicious at this woman Anita O'Brien who appears to have known about what happened to daniel the whole time. It is suggested elsewhere that she could have even stopped it from happening the first night.

I have located the Court of Appeal judgment of Douglas Brian Jackway's conviction of the rape of a nine year boy in 1995. You may find it interesting if you haven't already read it.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/qld/QCA/1996/404.html?query=title(r%20%20and%20%20jackway)

This is the "court document" the media is referring to when they are referring to what took place with that nine year old boy when Jackway was 18. If you read it, it is terrible to say the least. Basically, Jackway was sentenced to 8 years, the Attorney general appealed to have it increased to 10, but only 1 of the 3 Justices agreed that the appeal should be upheld and was therefore dismissed.  Another stupid mistake considering the psychological reports before the court.

What i find important about the events outlined in the 1995 case is that Jackway pulled his car over, approached the boys and asked them for directions.

I am of the opinion that this is likely to what have happened in the discussion between Jackway and Daniel at first instance. I think jackway, despite knowing the sunshine coast area well, pretended to be lost and asked for directions upon seeing daniel. And if this Raymond Davy scumbag was present, he was obviosuly playing along with what was going on, despite not appearing to have any pedophile criminality attached to him (from what we know).

Perhaps when daniel realized his bus didn't stop for him, the two men (jackway and davy) offered to give him a lift if they would direct them to their fraudulent destination. Obviously the whole thing is a sad culmination of events.

What annoys me the most about this case is that all the supposed 'mystery' about it all, when in fact, ALL THE INFORMATION leading to the suspects was either published in news articles on the internet, and in the case of jackway, he was being arrested for leading police on that 39km chase, he was even ON THE NEWS and could be seen in the backseat of his blue holden commadore, 2 weeks before daniel went missing.

Jackway should never have been released in the first instance. Plus upon being released, he was arreseted 2 weeks out of jail, but was granted bail!!! If bail wasn't granted none of this would have happened.

Also the fact that this Davy's murder victim 'donald rogers' was burried in the forrest on the sunshine coast, probably suggests that daniel's body could be near by.

If i was one of those police officers that followed Jackway on his 39km car case, i would know that vehicle (blue box shaped car) well. upon arresting him, the officers would have checked his criminal record and saw he was convicted and sentenced to 8 years jailing for raping the boy.

So, when reports emerged that a man seen in a blue box shaped right before a 13year old boy disappeared, i would immediately have remembered jackway as a suspect and made attempts to locate him through friends, addresses etc. i do not think this was done.

Please comment back on anything i've said as i'd like to hear your insights.

cheers
    peace out.

[/quote]

That was very probably one of the worst thing I've ever read about a pedophile. 
        The report, the way it goes into every.single.detail..... my God.  Just my God.
        My son is 14, and a lot of times, when I read of a tragedy involving a child, I imagine how it would be the parent of a child who fell victim to this monster.  Just what the 9-year-old in this story went through would've made me not just want to, but go and kill the guy who did it. 
        I guess at least the boy in the story you linked is at least alive.  That he went through it is the stuff of nightmares, but at least his parents still have him.  I have no idea how much therapy that kid is going to need after going through that.  But he is, at least, alive.  And, you know, where there's life there is hope.
        For the parents of the child who hasn't been found, I honestly don't know how they manage to go on.  Perhaps the hope that their child is still alive, that they still have a shot at getting him back, keeps them going.  But they've had to have read what I just did, and to know that their son went through this (and likely much more) before he died would just, I just couldn't live knowing that. 
        And this asshat only got eight years for what he did to that child.  That, to me, is pure fail by the courts and anyone who thought this was sufficient punishment.  The victim will still be a child (of 17) when this... this thing, will be released.  What an horrific notion.

Tell me, is something eluding you, Sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you wanna find out what's behind this cold eyes you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise...

[quote author=TaupinJohn link=topic=20085.msg1738156#msg1738156 date=1287123137]
        That was very probably one of the worst thing I've ever read about a pedophile. 
        The report, the way it goes into every.single.detail..... my God.  Just my God.
        My son is 14, and a lot of times, when I read of a tragedy involving a child, I imagine how it would be the parent of a child who fell victim to this monster.  Just what the 9-year-old in this story went through would've made me not just want to, but go and kill the guy who did it. 
        I guess at least the boy in the story you linked is at least alive.  That he went through it is the stuff of nightmares, but at least his parents still have him.  I have no idea how much therapy that kid is going to need after going through that.  But he is, at least, alive.  And, you know, where there's life there is hope.
        For the parents of the child who hasn't been found, I honestly don't know how they manage to go on.  Perhaps the hope that their child is still alive, that they still have a shot at getting him back, keeps them going.  But they've had to have read what I just did, and to know that their son went through this (and likely much more) before he died would just, I just couldn't live knowing that. 
        And this asshat only got eight years for what he did to that child.  That, to me, is pure fail by the courts and anyone who thought this was sufficient punishment.  The victim will still be a child (of 17) when this... this thing, will be released.  What an horrific notion.

[/quote]

The details revealed in the court documents are indeed beyond shocking, and the details should not be glossed over and sanitized. The victim will no doubt suffer psychologically for the rest of their life.

As for Daniel Morcombe's family, I believe that any hope of finding their boy alive faded many years ago. I don't think Daniel's parents were ever in denial about the situation and it appears that they have always been distinctly aware of the grim reality that the likelihood of finding Daniel alive was basically nil with each passing day since he disappeared.

Their primary objective to this day goes beyond seeking justice for a heinous crime and identifying the perpetrator(s). I believe they have always been motivated, above all else, to simply just locate Daniel's remains and bring him home. Just to be granted the opportunity to be reunited with their boy (even in death) and lay him to rest with some dignity and respect.

I can't even comprehend the absolute hideous reality of these circumstances. The unknown. Can you imagine being tortured with gruesome images, and haunted by endless possible scenarios? No parent should ever have to ponder whether every piece of bushland they drive past or that lonely dam they heard whispers about hides the bones of their child.

This is why this case is so agonising ... there is more than one person who has to know the answers to this and can stop the endless suffering. All it would take is one anonymous phonecall. If they have any shred of dignity left in their soul, at the very least give the Morcombe's that one piece of crucial information.

Up-dates from the Inquest:

Pedophiles searched for boys on day Daniel disappeared
    Daniel Hurst
    October 15, 2010 - 1:59PM

The inquest into Daniel Morcombe’s disappearance has heard chilling evidence about three pedophiles who visited the Sunshine Coast looking for young boys on the day he vanished.

Two men from Brisbane, along with a third from Sydney, told police they were driving around the region on December 7, 2003, to look at surf club nippers and meet boys, the Maroochydore Coroners Court was told today.

That was the same day Daniel, 13, went missing following a suspected abduction at the side of Nambour Connection Road, in Woombye, on the Sunshine Coast.

Although the two Brisbane men, codenamed P23 and P24, were included on a list of “persons of interest” to Daniel’s disappearance, police ultimately ruled out their involvement in the unsolved case.

Detective Senior Constable Ross Hutton told the inquest both men were in their 20s at time of Daniel’s disappearance, had a criminal history and admitted to police they had a sexual interest in young boys.

They were part of a pedophile “network” in the sense that they spoke to other people with similar interests on an internet chat room called “Boy Love” in 2003 and 2004, he said.

The pair came to the attention of police in June 2004 when they were located in the Glasshouse Mountains area with a boy, the court was told. They had been bike riding in the bush.

The court heard their method was to commit sexual offences after grooming young males aged 12 or 13 years of age by suggesting exciting activities such as four-wheel-driving or motorbike riding.

They took photos of the boys they approached.

Senior Constable Hutton said he had searched the men’s homes but had not found any images related to Daniel’s disappearance, and nothing officially deemed to be offensive.

He said the two men, P23 and P24, were open with police about why they had come to the Sunshine Coast on December 7, 2003.

They, and the Sydney associate codenamed P24A, wanted to “go looking for boys” and travelled to various places around the Sunshine Coast, including surf clubs to see nippers.

They apparently went to Mooloolaba, where they met boys and arranged to have pizzas at a local pizza shop as part of their attempts to groom the children. Photos that were recovered, and dated December 7, were said to be of boys at the beach and at Sunshine Coast attraction Aussie World.

But associate P24A, who met the men through the chat room, was said to be driving them around in his gold Commodore wagon, which did not match witness reports that a blue car may have linked to Daniel’s abduction.

Senior Constable Hutton said the men’s criminal history, modus operandi and car description did not fit in with the abduction.

He said P23 and P24 were “shocking pedophiles” but their manner was to build confidence and trust amongst the children they were preying on.

“They’ve got no history of violence. Their manner is they actually want a relationship with a male child,” he said.

“They were persons of interest because of the nature [of the crimes] and because they were up on the Sunshine Coast in the lead up to groom other victims, but it just doesn’t match the evidence that we know.”

Senior Constable Hutton, who compiled a report on several persons of interest, also revealed another man who police spoke to about the case killed himself three days after the approach.

The man, identified only as P20, was spoken to by police on July 1, 2004, and was found dead in his car later that week, the court was told.

Detective Senior Constable Hutton said P20 had been reported to police in June by a woman who said he had sent her ‘revolting’ text messages that raised her concerns about his character.

She told police he worked in the Woombye area, close to where Daniel, 13, disappeared on December 7, 2003, was the owner of a white van, and had a friend in the area with a blue car.

Several witnesses have previously given evidence about seeing a white van and blue car parked near Daniel shortly before he was abducted.

Senior Constable Hutton said police investigated P20's white 1984 Toyota Liteace van, but did not send it for further forensic examination after discovering it had a number of characteristics that did not match the eyewitness reports from the scene of Daniel's disappearance.

"It was sufficiently different, was it, that police didn't think it warranted scientific examination?" asked Peter Johns, counsel assisting the state coroner Michael Barnes.

"That's correct," Senior Constable Hutton said.

He told the court before police could question him further, P20 committed suicide three days later.

Senior Constable Hutton said P20 left only a brief suicide note, which did not mention Daniel.

"It was one line and had nothing to do with this," he said.

P20's daughter later told police her father had been on medication after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and had attempted suicide on a number of occasions.

She also told investigators she believed her father had taken his life because he was worried his interstate criminal history would catch up with him.

"She indicated that she believed he was concerned there was something in NSW that was outstanding that was going to cause him to go back to jail," Senior Constable Hutton said.

He told the court there was no physical evidence linking P20 with Daniel's disappearance, but that his death had prevented further inquiries.

"Obviously he was a person who was around there on a daily basis, and he operated a cash business so it does make it difficult to know what he was doing at the time," he said.

The inquest continues.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/pedophiles-searched-for-boys-on-day-daniel-disappeared-20101015-16ms2.html

Man linked to the case of missing boy Daniel Morcombe takes own life, an inquest is told
    October 15, 2010 12:39PM

A PERSON of interest in the Daniel Morcombe case killed himself three days after being interviewed by police, an inquest has been told.

The person of interest (POI) - identified only as P20 - was spoken to by police on July 1, 2004, and was found dead in his car later that week, Maroochydore Coroners Court was told today.

Detective Senior Constable Ross Hutton, who compiled a report on several POIs, told the court P20 had been reported to police in June by a woman who said he had sent her 'revolting' text messages that raised her concerns about his character.

She told police he worked in the Woombye area, close to where Daniel, 13, disappeared on December 7, 2003, was the owner of a white van, and had a friend in the area with a blue car.

Several witnesses have previously given evidence about seeing a white van and blue car parked near Daniel shortly before he was abducted.

Snr Const Hutton said police investigated P20's white 1984 Toyota Liteace van, but did not send it for further forensic examination after discovering it had a number of characteristics that did not match the eyewitness reports from the scene of Daniel's disappearance.

"It was sufficiently different, was it, that police didn't think it warranted scientific examination?" asked Peter Johns, counsel assisting the state coroner Michael Barnes.

"That's correct," Det Snr Const Hutton said.

He told the court before police could question him further, P20 committed suicide in the white van three days later.

Snr Const Hutton said P20 left only a brief suicide note, which did not mention Daniel.

"It was one line and had nothing to do with this," he said.

P20's daughter later told police her father had been on medication after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and had attempted suicide on a number of occasions.

She also told investigators she believed her father had taken his life because he was worried his interstate criminal history would catch up with him.

"She indicated that she believed he was concerned there was something in NSW that was outstanding that was going to cause him to go back to jail," Snr Const Hutton said.

He told the court there was no physical evidence linking P20 with Daniel's disappearance, but that his death had prevented further inquiries.

The inquest continues.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-linked-to-the-case-of-missing-boy-daniel-morcombe-takes-own-life-an-inquest-is-told/story-e6frf7jx-1225939160989

I'm assuming that they are alluding to the fact that this 'Boy Love' network is the source of where the chilling "Christmas Cake" code-name (information that was mentioned earlier in the investigation) probably originated:

See here:

* http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Morcombe-may-be-called-Christmas-cake/2006/12/07/1165081079484.html

* http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pedophile-network-in-the-know/story-e6freoof-1111112656609

* http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/door-remains-open-for-son/story-e6freoof-1111112652061

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...28/3304112.htm

Queensland police have confirmed the bones found at a seach site at Beerwah on the Sunshine Coast belong to missing teenager Daniel Morcombe
    Eight years after Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe disappeared, DNA testing has confirmed that the three bones found at a crime scene in Beerburrum State Forest near Beerwah are those of the missing teenager.

The bones, uncovered last Sunday near where two matching shoes were found, were just 40km from where the 13-year-old went missing - Daniel was last seen waiting for a bus on the Nambour Connection Road under the Kiel Mountain Overpass, near the Bruce Highway on December 7, 2003.

In a press conference, Queensland Police confirmed that a forensic lab conducting DNA testing in Adelaide confirmed the bones were Daniel's late last night, and the Morcombe family was notified.
    Addressing the media, Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson speaking on behalf of Bruce and Denise Morcombe said it was the "expected shock" the family had been anticipating.

"Today's news is extremely sad for us all and although we knew in our hearts the search area was Daniel's final resting place, the news of the scientific confirmation is still enormously difficult to comprehend," Bruce and Denise Morcombe said in the statement, read by Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson.
    "Denise, Bruce, Dean and Bradley would like to thank the QPS and SES volunteers for their ongoing commitment to maintain the search for Daniel's remains," the statement read.

The family plans to address the media tomorrow afternoon at the Daniel Morcombe Foundation in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast.

A 41-year-old Western Australian man has been arrested and charged with a number of offences related to the case including murder, deprivation of liberty, child stealing and interfering with a corpse.
    Commissioner Atkinson says the identification is a vital part of the investigation.

"There has always been two concurrent aspects to this investigation, and they have been firstly to determine if there was sufficient evidence to support charges against any person - that has occurred," he said.
    "The other concurrent aspect of this has always been to find Daniel, and that has now occurred.
    "Obviously Bruce and Denise have been advised and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this time."

THE parents of Daniel Morcombe say they may have to wait until next year to hold a funeral for their son.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/daniels-funeral-faces-delay/story-e6freoof-1226141222241

Quote Originally Posted by Hayalet View Post
    It says here that his parents have had a life sized model of the man the police want to speak to-

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...34-421,00.html

These photos are on a website that thinks a paedophile called Hugh McVean took Daniel. Its a poorly put together site but worth a read (i don't think he really looks like the model tho but then again these might be new pics and Daniel was taken in 2003)-

http://www.austlawpublish.com/didhug...elmorcome.html

Court drawing of the guy who has been arrested for Daniel's murder

The man accused of abducting and murdering Sunshine Coast schoolboy Daniel Morcombe is due to reappear in court today.

Last month Queensland police charged Perth man Brett Peter Cowan, 42 - nearly eight years after 13-year-old Daniel disappeared while waiting for a bus below an overpass in Woombye.

Following the arrest, police officers and SES volunteers scoured bushland in Beerwah and found human remains later confirmed by DNA testing to be Daniel’s.

Mr Cowan, who has been held in custody since his arrest, is due to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court for a committal mention this morning.

Mr Cowan’s lawyer, Tim Meehan, said he expected the crown would apply for a lengthy adjournment.

“Nothing terribly exciting will be happening in court - we haven't received any material from the Crown,” he told ABC News.

“I expect they will be seeking a fairly lengthy adjournment, so they can receive some material from the police and provide it to
    us.

“It is not just a regular mention because of the nature of the offences alleged against him they must go to the Supreme Court.

“The committal process is the process in the Magistrates Court, which then sees the matter proceed to the Superior Courts.”

ABC Radio reported that tight security would be in place and extra police would be on hand for the court appearance.

Mr Cowan appeared briefly in court on August 15, when his case was adjourned to today.

Wearing a prison-issued brown tracksuit top and jeans, the accused sat in the prisoner's dock during the previous court appearance, his eyes cast downwards.

His shoulder-length hair was matted and partly covered his face.

Mr Cowan is charged with murder, indecent treatment of a child under 16, child stealing, deprivation of liberty and interfering with a corpse.

Mr Meehan said last month his client intended to contest the charges against him and he held instructions to make a bail application in the Supreme Court.

Daniel’s disappearance sparked the biggest missing person case in Queensland history. It prompted his parents, Bruce and Denise Morcombe, to start a child safety-focused foundation.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz1Z0QlslsR

I get a kick out of how they blurred out the eyes on the court drawing.

im getting a kick out of how its like an anime cartoon-like drawing and not just one of those pencil sketches.

and the blurred eyes are funny too.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Reminds me of Charles Mesure.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

THE man accused of the murder of Daniel Morcombe has expressed his frustration at being brought from jail to court when his appearance was not required.

Brett Peter Cowan, 41, has been in custody since his arrest last month over the murder of the Sunshine Coast teenager in the Glass House Mountains on December 7, 2003.

He has also been charged with deprivation of liberty, child stealing, indecent treatment and misconduct with a corpse in relation to the 13-year-old.

Cowan was brought from jail to the cells of the Brisbane Magistrates Court today, but defence lawyer Tim Meehan said he didn't need his client to be present in court.

In the 41-year-old's absence, the prosecution described the brief of evidence as "fairly substantial", with more than 70 statements ready to be delivered to the defence today.

A full brief is expected to be prepared by November 28.

Deputy chief magistrate Brian Hine adjourned the case until December 12 and remanded Cowan in custody.

His appearance will be by videolink from the jail on that date.

Outside court, Mr Meehan said his client was frustrated that he'd been brought to court.

"He knew that I'd written to the court and to the jail as well, so he's frustrated by the fact that he was brought in and really didn't need to be here," he said.

"He's just happy that now we have some movement and hopefully the matters will gain some momentum and that he can work toward clearing his name."

Mr Meehan said Cowan was advised last week that he would be brought to court ahead of today's mention of his case.

"It was a waste of his time certainly. He's frustrated by the fact he was woken up at 5am in order to be brought in," he said.

"He understands that he's in a special position, I suppose, considering the nature of the allegations against him and that really the court just wants to make sure that everything is done properly."

Mr Meehan said he was surprised the prosecution expected to have all their material to him by November 28 given the length of the investigation.

"It'll be interesting to see what they say a full brief of evidence is," he said.

"I've been told variously that there are some 10,000 witness statements in relation to the matter, and there are some 18,000 individual job logs. I'd be very surprised if we receive that volume of material by November 28."

Mr Meehan said his client still intended to apply for bail.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/man-...#ixzz1Z1kMmjrm

Morcombe witness describes violence in car

UPDATED

A woman has told the committal hearing for Brett Peter Cowan that she saw a man sitting in the back of an early model blue sedan and "punching down" into the back seat.

Mr Cowan is accused of abducting and murdering Sunshine Coast schoolboy Daniel Morcombe who will be laid to rest on Friday - nine years to the date after he went missing.

The 13-year-old was last seen attempting, unsuccessfully, to hail a bus under an overpass on the Nambour Connection Road, while wearing a red t-shirt.

In court today, Belinda Russell said she was travelling on the Nambour Connection Road from Gympie on December 7, 2003 - the day Daniel went missing.

She noticed the vehicle because it was "violently jumping" from side to side and up and down.

She said the driver of the vehicle did not turn around or show any concern about what was happening in the back seat.

Mrs Russell said she did not see what or who the man in the back seat was punching.

"He was leaning down, to the right and he was punching down," she said.

"[It was a] closed fist and quite a lot of violent movement.

"We saw arms and a shoe come up in a defensive action, trying to kick away the person who was punching down."

Mrs Russell said she and her husband were very concerned by what they had seen but had left their mobile phone at home.

She said she imprinted the car's registration number on her shopping list with a pen that did not work, but threw the paper away at the end of the day.

Mrs Russell did not make a statement to police about what she had seen until April 2007.

Her evidence was by far the most shocking. Gasps could be heard from the public gallery.

The committal hearing, which had been set down for every day this week, has been moving faster than anticipated.

Just two more witnesses are expected to give evidence this week.

The Morcombes, after sitting in the hearing for every day, have left Brisbane for their Sunshine Coast home in order to finalise preparations for Daniel's funeral on Friday.

Nine years to the day he went missing, the 13-year-old is finally going home.

In court earlier today, Mr Cowan opened the seventh day of his committal hearing with a request.

Through his defence counsel, Mr Cowan asked to be excused from appearing on Thursday, the last set day of the committal, because of the limited number of witnesses due to appear.

Mr Cowan has sat through the evidence and cross examination of each of the witnesses, in a dock which places him on the other side of the room to the Morcombes.

Through Tim Meehan, Mr Cowan asked to appear by video link instead of being transported to the Brisbane Magistrates Court.

Chief magistrate Brendan Butler denied the request.

The seventh day is set to hear from more of what are referred to as identification witnesses, as opposed to the forensic witnesses which took up much of the first four days.

These witnesses reported to police having seen a boy they believed to be Daniel Morcombe in the days, weeks, months and even years following his December 7, 2003 disappearance from the Sunshine Coast.

Bernard Rumbel, who lives in Port Macquarie and appeared by video link, said he saw a young boy in September 2004 who asked him for help.

Mr Rumbel said he was at a Port Macquarie shopping centre with his son when a boy approached him and said "can you help me?" before a man walked towards them and spoke harshly to the boy "something like, 'I told you not to go anywhere'".

"He was looking at me like 'what was I talking to this little fella for?'," Mr Rumbel said.

"He gave me a stern look and I looked into his eyes and he was looking daggers at me.

"I felt intimidated."

Mr Rumbel said as the boy and the man left the boy said "my name is Daniel Morcombe" but he "didn't know who Daniel Morcombe was".

Later, he saw an Eagle Boys pizza box which had information about Daniel Morcombe and a photo of the missing 13-year-old so the man went to the police.

The next two witnesses, Gregory Smith and Kerryn Smith, told the court of seeing a young boy, wearing a red t-shirt, standing under the Kiel Mountain Road overpass while a man stood behind him.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...204-2as54.html

Daniel Morcombe's dad Bruce and brother Dean tell funeral what made Daniel so special

AS thousands gathered for Daniel Morcombe's public funeral service this morning, his brother and father shared thoughts on why he was so special.

Dean Morcombe

Daniel was my younger brother and a twin with Bradley; born eight weeks premature on the 19th December 1989.

After nine years of searching, we are gathered here today. Daniel would be proud of what Mum and Dad have done by keeping the search active and the community for never giving up.

Bradley and Daniel shared that special bond as you would imagine. He was a gifted student and the two of them shared many secrets. Living on acreage we had a few ponies and they would ride their favourites - Bullet and Sorrento. They were great friends often getting into mischief or blaming each other as the reason why their room was so untidy. What are brothers for?

The three of us shared a passion for motocross bikes but in addition he loved his animals. Mittens the cat and Chief our dog are too no longer with us, but Bullet enjoys retirement on our Tasmanian property.

Daniel also enjoyed the company of his friends - sharing a movie or going to the shops. He enjoyed food, with lasagne his favourite. It was also recommended you don't stand between him and a birthday cake.

Daniel was my riding buddy. We would encourage each other to go that bit harder, higher and faster. He was tough - I recall him taking a fall one afternoon trying to attempt a big jump on his new motocross bike. Over the handlebars he went, smack into the ground with the bike just missing him. He refused to show the pain.

That was what made him special.

Bruce Morcombe

A moment in time that will live with all of us forever occurred nine years ago today. Please do not be sad. Appreciate that the evil act which took Daniel happened a long time ago. Today is about embracing his return to family and being reflective of what might have been.

Do we dwell on what we have lost or accept the space we are in and find some positives?

I'm sure all who knew Daniel; including our family members, his friends, former teachers and classmates at Mountain Creek Primary School and Siena Catholic College, family friends among others all agree the only way forward is to feel blessed to have known him.

He may no longer be with us but Daniel's legacy lives on. The Daniel Morcombe Foundation is committed to doing all we can to ensure this never happens again by educating children on ways to keep safe and supporting young victims of crime.

The national profile and media interest in Daniel's search has allowed Denise and I to meet with many other family members of missing persons, murder victims and survivors of terrible crimes. Clearly the Morcombe family are not alone. We have been touched by each of your unique journeys and we will continue to do what we can to help.

I pay tribute to the Queensland Police Service, SES volunteers, media outlets, government and business leaders, Crimestoppers, the Queensland Homicide Victims Support Group, his former schools, parishioners and the broad community for never forgetting Daniel. I also acknowledge the efforts of West Australian Police and the Queensland Coroner for getting us to where we are today.

I'm sure we have all discovered strengths we did not know we had.

Australia is a better place because of this. Our children and grandchildren are safer because of Daniel's legacy.

What is truly ironic about all the recognition, support, help and publicity his search has attracted is that he was such a quiet kid.

He was not an attention seeker yet because of his sparkling eyes and beaming smile captured in photo after photo he is someone everyone took into their hearts.

That is what made him special.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226532154756

article about his funeral
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226531661205

rest in peace,daniel.

just noticed we posted at the same time olivia.

Quote Originally Posted by rachy View Post
    just noticed we posted at the same time olivia.
    Thanks rachy - I deleted mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Thanks rachy - I deleted mine.
    you're welcome,olivia.

have you watched this video?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226161780696
    Last edited by rachy; 12-06-2012 at 07:49 PM.

http://www.news.com.au/national/comm...-1226572486782

ACCUSED killer Brett Cowan has been committed to stand trial for the murder of Daniel Morcombe.

9.41am: MR Bosscher conceded there was a case against his client.

''I can see that the prosecution have met the threshold test required,'' he said.

Chief Magistrate Brendan Butler committed Cowan to stand trial for the murder of Daniel Morcombe.

''The defendant before the court is facing five charges...the defence concedes there is evidence on which I may commit,'' he said.

''The prosecution case is that Daniel Morcombe disappeared on December 7, 2003, after he was seen missing a bus.''

Chief Magistrate Butler said there was evidence the defendant admitted to abducting and killing Daniel and disposing of his body.

Human remains were later found at a location where he had taken undercover police officers, he said.

The Magistrate said it was now for a jury to determine whether he was guilty of the charges.

Asked by Chief Magistrate Butler whether he intended to respond to the five charges read out against him, Cowan answered ''no sir''.

9.31am: DEFENCE lawyer Michael Bosscher has moved on to questioning a second police officer, Detective Senior Constable Ross Hutton.

The detective was asked to describe other buildings on the Kings Rd site where Cowan claimed, in a conversation with an undercover police officer, to have killed Daniel inside a demountable home.

Det Sen Const Hutton said the site also held tobacco growing sheds, a storage shed and a wood saw.

He said the area was significantly flooded on several occasions following Daniel's disappearance.

Mr Bosscher said his client had made ''certain admissions'' to undercover police about what had happened at the property.

''He indicated to them...he took Daniel's body and dropped it down the embankment,'' Mr Bosscher said.

''He then climbed down after he dropped the body and retrieved it.''

The detective described the embankment as being two to three metres high.

9.21am: MR Bosscher told the court his client was not the only person to make "admissions" to police in relation to the disappearance of Daniel on December 7, 2003.

''My recollection is that there are only two other people who made admissions...to police,'' Det Sen Sgt Blanchfield said.

Moving on to other aspects of the investigation, Mr Bosscher asked the detective to confirm that police had prepared 34 photo boards that were shown to witnesses from about the time of Daniel's disappearance to an inquest held eight years later.

The photo boards included images of 31 persons of interest.

Mr Bosscher said the only witness to be shown a photo board including a picture of Cowan was a witness named Abby North, who failed to identify him.

9.13am: THE committal hearing into the murder of Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe has begun with further cross examination of one of the lead investigators.

Detective Senior Sergeant Stephen Blanchfield was asked by defence lawyer Michael Bosscher to confirm that accused killer Brett Peter Cowan had legally changed his name to Shadoo Nunya Hunter.

''My understanding is that is now his legal name,'' the detective said.

''Changed by deed poll at some point,'' Mr Bosscher said.

''Yes,'' the detective replied.

Cowan, 43, is facing a Brisbane Magistrates Court hearing on charges of murder, child stealing, deprivation of liberty, indecent treatment of a child and interfering with a corpse.

His lawyers have indicated he intends to plead not guilty to all charges.

That poor kid. And so sad that so many people saw something or had a bad gut feeling, but nobody stopped. The inquest info said one of the passers-by said it was the biggest regret of his life that he didn't stop. I'm sure that's very true. Forgive me for not quoting the actual post. I think it would take me forever to go back and find it. (Seems like I just read an awful lot of info for a mere three-page thread!)

After reading the whole thread, I'm surprised that Jackway perv isn't involved after all. Weird. And, apparently, child rapist Jackway might be free by the end of this month. Awesome:

http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n...ngers/1258158/

That Jackway link is from February 2012, not this year. Oops!

I know it's wrong, but walrus man's mugshot at the bottom of this article made me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I know it's wrong, but walrus man's mugshot at the bottom of this article made me lol.
    Team Leyash

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...b_uid=36373583

Brett Peter Cowan, also known as Shaddo Nunyah Hunter, 44, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Sunshine Coast school boy Daniel Morcombe.

Wearing a grey suit and striped white shirt, Cowan stood in the prisoner’s dock of court 4 in the Brisbane Supreme Court to be formally arraigned before a prospective jury pool.

Cowan pleaded not guilty to Daniel’s murder, to the boy’s indecent treatment and to interfering with his corpse at the Glasshouse Mountains on December 7, 2003.

Earlier, a decade after the disappearance of Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe, the man accused of his murder is to face trial.

Brett Peter Cowan, 44, also known as Shaddo Nunyah Hunter, will be arraigned in the Supreme Court of Brisbane today charged with the teenager’s murder, indecent treatment and misconduct with a corpse.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe said they were approaching the beginning of the trial with some anxiety.

Mr Morcombe said it had been a “long grind” and thanked police for their efforts.

Up to 200 witnesses are expected to give evidence, including the Morcombes and their sons Bradley and Dean.

A jury panel of 15 is expected to be selected from a prospective pool of 300.

The massive public interest in the trial has necessitated the establishment of a second “overflow court’’ where the proceedings would be live-streamed, including a separate private room for the Morcombe family.

Security at the Brisbane Supreme and District Courts complex has been heightened for the trial’s duration.

The trial, before Supreme Court Justice Roslyn Atkinson, is expected to run for six weeks.

Daniel was 13 when he disappeared from an unofficial bus stop under the Kiel Mountain Overpass at Woombye on December 7, 2003.

He was on his way to the Sunshine Plaza to buy Christmas presents when he disappeared after allegedly trying to wave down a bus that was instructed to travel express to the shopping centre.

His remains were uncovered in thick bushland adjacent to a macadamia farm in 2011.

So, do they know if he held Daniel captive for a while before killing him? Or was he killed the same day he disappeared? I read about where a guy claimed he saw Daniel in a supermarket, and the boy asked for help and told him his name, before a scary guy took him away. Wasn't that in 2004? I'm kind of confused....

And child stealing? Not kidnapping?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    So, do they know if he held Daniel captive for a while before killing him? Or was he killed the same day he disappeared? I read about where a guy claimed he saw Daniel in a supermarket, and the boy asked for help and told him his name, before a scary guy took him away. Wasn't that in 2004? I'm kind of confused....

And child stealing? Not kidnapping?
    All good questions. Evidence from today's hearing says that he was dead soon after being abducted:

Daniel disappeared from a bus stop under the Kiel Mountain Road overpass on the Sunshine Coast sometime between 2pm and 2.15pm on December 7, 2003, the court heard.
    "He was dead a short time later, almost certainly within an hour," Mr Byrne said.
    The court will hear from a number of witnesses who saw a boy, matching Daniel’s description, standing under the overpass, Mr Byrne said.
    He also said a number of witnesses would recall seeing a blue car stopped nearby.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz2sye6HHjE

I haven't heard about the supermarket sighting and can't find anything on google? And as for child stealing, it may just possibly be the British English term for kidnapping (As the Aus judicial system is based on the British one)? Definition of child stealing - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...9994/s363.html

Kidnapping also seems to be an Aus legal term though, so now I have no idea - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...90082/s86.html
    Last edited by Olivia; 02-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information