Page 526 of 656 FirstFirst ... 26 426 476 516 524 525 526 527 528 536 576 626 ... LastLast
Results 13,126 to 13,150 of 16377

Thread: MDS pets

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    you're not crazy. I'm part of a group that transfers rescued cats from Florida to alllll over the country. :)

I'm a HUGE animal advocate. Anything from volunteering at horse rescues to helping spread the word to adopt and not shop. This is my first Hamster rescue though lol.

Good for you Neener!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

you're not crazy. I'm part of a group that transfers rescued cats from Florida to alllll over the country. :)
    This makes me very happy to hear

There are so many dog rescues, there is one or more for every breed. Cats don't get the same attention.

ETA: Boston Babe have you ever owned a hamster before?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post

There are so many dog rescues, there is one or more for every breed. Cats don't get the same attention.

Yep! Hamsters, rats.... LOVE rats! The Husband hates rats so can't anymore. I used to own a horse and I have three dogs. If I didn't rent I would have cats again too. I'm actually a pet sitter and dog walker. Animals are literally my life.

So in the quest for my missing kitty I had put up a Craigslist ad, with a few pics/details looking for him. Yesterday, a lady not even 3 miles from my house sent me this picture:

It looked JUST like my kitty! So, of course I got my hopes up and I rush right over to the woman's house. When I get there I find the EXACT same cat as mine, no lie, only about 3 months too young =(
    When I say exact, I meant exact, too! This kitty looked exactly like mine when I found him 3 months ago. Could have been his cat-twin. Had he been bigger I would have thought he WAS mine, since the ONLY difference was a black nose (mine has a dark pink one).

I was SO disappointed. There couldn't have been a cat that was closer to mine without being him! Ugh. I got off work a little bit early tonight so i decided that while it was still dark I would take a can of cat food out and sit for a while to see if I could draw him out. I couldn't believe it when not 5 minute later he comes running out! A couple name calls later and he was meowing and running at me! After 10 days I couldn't believe he finally came home!!

Just wanted to say thank you to all you guys who sent out the thoughts/vibes/prayers for his safe return. He's a little thinner (tho not much since he was pretty padded when he got out!), but seems no worse for the wear. i was worried about frostbite or something since the snow, freezing rain, and frigid ass weather while he was out.

He is currently lounging on the bed after a marathon face stuffing, as if he never left:

Sorry for the long ass post, I'm just SO happy my baby is back

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

I'm a HUGE animal advocate. Anything from volunteering at horse rescues to helping spread the word to adopt and not shop. This is my first Hamster rescue though lol.

Good for you Neener!
    good for you, too! :) I'm all about helping animals. I love being involved in transporting kitties to their new homes. I've driven with my SUV absolutely packed with cages of cats. It's nice to know that I had some small part in giving them a better life. We also get updates from quite a few of their new families, and it's so rewarding to see them content and thriving. :)

yes, I definitely agree that cats don't get the same kind of attention that dogs do. l think it's because dogs are the *fun* pets.....always wanting human interaction. people are not impressed with the level of standoffiishness cats have. lucky for me, I like having a pet that's not always all up in my kool-aid. I love dogs, don't get me wrong. my family had dogs when I was growing up, and I adored them. But I'm too aspie for that shit. unless it's my own child, I don't want to have to pay that much attention to someone/something.

bete! so glad your fuzzin is back home, safe and sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Here's Loaf, giving us the *play with me* crazy eyes. she'll sit at the end of the bed like that, staring at my husband until he picks up her favorite toy and plays with her. It's hysterical. I fucking love her.

* wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop

yes, I definitely agree that cats don't get the same kind of attention that dogs do. l think it's because dogs are the *fun* pets.....always wanting human interaction. people are not impressed with the level of standoffiishness cats have. lucky for me, I like having a pet that's not always all up in my kool-aid. I love dogs, don't get me wrong. my family had dogs when I was growing up, and I adored them. But I'm too aspie for that shit. unless it's my own child, I don't want to have to pay that much attention to someone/something.
    That may be part of it, but I think the other part is that the cat "problem" is just so overwhelming. With dogs a lot of people who do rescue get started with one particular breed. For instance I work with corgi rescue. Do the occasional transport or foster. I give money to Corgi-aid (a really awesome group that funds vet care for corgi's in the process of being rescued.) we will also try to help corgi mixes. But its manageable. A few dogs a year for me. I also help with schnauzers although they don't seem to pop up at the shelter as often.

Cats? You could do 10 cats a day and never make a dent. It's just overwhelming. My friend used to tnr and foster kittens and it was just never ending. I think a lot of those people just burn out, or are so busy bailing that they don't have time to talk about what they are doing

The same is kind of true of really common breeds of dogs. I see a lot more people who work with rarer breeds then I do people who try to help labs and goldens.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    That may be part of it, but I think the other part is that the cat "problem" is just so overwhelming. With dogs a lot of people who do rescue get started with one particular breed. For instance I work with corgi rescue. Do the occasional transport or foster. I give money to Corgi-aid (a really awesome group that funds vet care for corgi's in the process of being rescued.) we will also try to help corgi mixes. But its manageable. A few dogs a year for me. I also help with schnauzers although they don't seem to pop up at the shelter as often.

Cats? You could do 10 cats a day and never make a dent. It's just overwhelming. My friend used to tnr and foster kittens and it was just never ending. I think a lot of those people just burn out, or are so busy bailing that they don't have time to talk about what they are doing

The same is kind of true of really common breeds of dogs. I see a lot more people who work with rarer breeds then I do people who try to help labs and goldens.
    definitely agree. But I think that the way cats interact with humans does affect things. A stray dog is more likely to come up to a person, begging for attention/food. I mean, how often do you have to set out a trap to catch a dog? not nearly as often as a cat. Cats are generally smaller, sneakier, and more distrustful. little turds.

rescuing cats is exhausting. The woman in charge of the rescue I'm involved with is in her early 30s. she works full time, runs a bazillion miles a day, has a blog, and does the rescue stuff on top of that. It's never-ending. I have no idea how she does it. She gets phone calls and requests for help....all day, every day. she's amazing.

How do you know if a cat is a stray? My neighbourhood is full of cats walking outside but I'm pretty sure they all have a home.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

I'm so glad your cat came home. Ours was missing for 2 weeks before he showed up at the humane society. I was a mess.

Our 17 year old dog is dying today. She has been losing weight and hair and just looking plain old for some time. Last night she pee'd on the floor in the kitchen, which is not like her. This morning we found her under the kitchen table refusing to move or lift her head up. She had thrown up a bit too. She doesn't seem to be in pain, so we put her in her dog bed and put an electric throw over her...she is sort of cold. She did stand for a short time, but was very shaky and didn't seem able to coordinate her legs to lay back down. I don't want to take her to the vet and have her put to sleep...car trips really stress her out. Am I wrong to let her die in her bed? It's the youngest kids birthday today. We got Sandy when the youngest was 6 and had a couple biopsies. I was fearful she had cancer and we stopped and picked up this dog on the way home. She was a dog who had been sold twice and returned twice. She had some issues when she was younger..such as biting the mailman and fighting like cujo with other dogs. A bit aggressive in her younger years. She loved kittens tho and nursed a very sick, very young kitten and then later nursed my bengal kitten. Let me tell you, that is a hard behavior to break. She will be missed by the chi's as she is designated leader of the pack.

Awww Mary I'm so sorry about your sweet pup Most vets these days will come to your house and put them down in the comfort of their own home/bed. Can you see if this is available with your vet?

Edit: maybe not necessarily today since it's your youngest bday, but when the time comes if she keeps getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    I'm so glad your cat came home. Ours was missing for 2 weeks before he showed up at the humane society. I was a mess.

Our 17 year old dog is dying today. She has been losing weight and hair and just looking plain old for some time. Last night she pee'd on the floor in the kitchen, which is not like her. This morning we found her under the kitchen table refusing to move or lift her head up. She had thrown up a bit too. She doesn't seem to be in pain, so we put her in her dog bed and put an electric throw over her...she is sort of cold. She did stand for a short time, but was very shaky and didn't seem able to coordinate her legs to lay back down. I don't want to take her to the vet and have her put to sleep...car trips really stress her out. Am I wrong to let her die in her bed? It's the youngest kids birthday today. We got Sandy when the youngest was 6 and had a couple biopsies. I was fearful she had cancer and we stopped and picked up this dog on the way home. She was a dog who had been sold twice and returned twice. She had some issues when she was younger..such as biting the mailman and fighting like cujo with other dogs. A bit aggressive in her younger years. She loved kittens tho and nursed a very sick, very young kitten and then later nursed my bengal kitten. Let me tell you, that is a hard behavior to break. She will be missed by the chi's as she is designated leader of the pack.

As long as the pup does not seem to be in pain, I think it would be nice if she could die at home. I have had to put down 3 greyhounds at the vets and while it was humane and quick, it is a very cold sad thing. But, they were in pain and it was better for them. (2 from different cancers and 1 we are not sure-but he stroked out while under observation at the vet)

Wow, I may have spoke too soon. LOL. She seriously looked like death, sort of ignoring us, ignoring food and cold. I gave her a spoonful of sugar and she became more alert and ate the chew treat I had offered her earlier...dehydrated chicken that I make. She then went outside and did her business, so I cooked a chicken breast for her and she only took a couple bites. She has really aged this last year and is pretty much skin and bone, even though she has been eating well and getting extra food between feedings up until today. She has awful breast masses that the vet is concerned about, but felt she was too old to do surgery and thought it was cancer. She got her vaccines in Feb last year and the vet thought it would be her last rabies vaccine. I would have her put to sleep if she seemed like she was suffering, so far she seems to not be in pain. She isn't restless or panting or whining. She did get out of her dog bed and is laying at my feet at my desk. 17 is really old for a dog, right? My husband is in denial and thinks she has the flu. Part of my reasoning for not taking her to the vet is that we have had sick and dying pets before that we took extrordinary means to keep them alive too long. The worst being a cat that had FIP, that we had fluid drained from his belly every few days until he grew weak and couldn't get up. When we had him put to sleep his BP was too low for the drugs to work quickly and he suffered with that. Fought it, wet himself and cried. It was horrible. We have not had an animal simply die..we have always had them treated and kept them as long as possible. I just don't want to do that to her. She hates the vet and hates car rides. She's a poodle and hasn't been groomed since oct so she looks like hell too. She hates being groomed and she has been so feeble that I just let her look like hell.

I'm not wearing any pants
    A funny pic of my baby girl. I put a scrunchie on her and she was lie WTF are you doing to me? lol

bete! so glad your fuzzin is back home, safe and sound.
    Thank you!

I love the crazy eyes look happening on your kitty's face!
    My Doobie gets that sorta look when you crinkle a straw wrapper or a napkin. They're her FAVORITEST things EVER to chase and fetch! The anticipation of it getting thrown for her to go after makes her SO friggin' excited!!

marycontrary:
    Aww, so sorry about your poor doggie being sick, but happy she is sprucing up a little! And wow, I 17 years IS definitely a long time for a dog, I think! The average lifespan is something like 12-13 years, maybe? Not sure if it's different for your particular breed, but either way it sounds like your doggie has lived an extra long, happy life. Hope she get's even better.

=)

Beantown Bitch:
    Your kitty sure DOES have a "wtf are you doing to me" look on her face, lol! Too cute.

Here's my recently returned home kitty, being him.
    I think the caption would be something like "oh, the drama!", hehe:

Lol, got his round belly all hangin' out, stumpy ass lil feets stickin' up in the air!
    How this one survived all those days lost, I have NO idea!

Last edited by bete noire; 01-14-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Mary I'm so sorry. It can be hard, but were here for you.

Neens - that is an awesome pic! Jinx just stares at us while were sleeping. Its why her nickname is creepy.

I'm not wearing any pants
    Quote Originally Posted by bete noire View Post
    Thank you!

I love the crazy eyes look happening on your kitty's face!
    My Doobie gets that sorta look when you crinkle a straw wrapper or a napkin. They're her FAVORITEST things EVER to chase and fetch! The anticipation of it getting thrown for her to go after makes her SO friggin' excited!!

marycontrary:
    Aww, so sorry about your poor doggie being sick, but happy she is sprucing up a little! And wow, I 17 years IS definitely a long time for a dog, I think! The average lifespan is something like 12-13 years, maybe? Not sure if it's different for your particular breed, but either way it sounds like your doggie has lived an extra long, happy life. Hope she get's even better.

=)

Beantown Bitch:
    Your kitty sure DOES have a "wtf are you doing to me" look on her face, lol! Too cute.

Here's my recently returned home kitty, being him.
    I think the caption would be something like "oh, the drama!", hehe:

Lol, got his round belly all hangin' out, stumpy ass lil feets stickin' up in the air!
    How this one survived all those days lost, I have NO idea!

hahaha that is the best pic ever! hehehe love it! All sprawled out like oh YEAHHHHHH. This is the life. lol

My cat:

Seriously. True story, real cat.

WHYYYYYYY.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post

Mary, Here is a link to "Vestibular Disease" also known as "Old Dog Disease". My dog had it and some of my clients as well. It appears like a Neurological disorder (stroke-like, seizures etc.) but in some mild cases it sounds a lot like you described. It's basically Vertigo. DO NOT put a dog down until a couple weeks after the symptoms appear because they "POOF" go away as quickly as they come on. My vet even said when a person comes in with a dog presenting with the symptoms, he refuses to euthanize them and tells them to wait.

It's good for any dog owner to know about as THOUSANDS are put down when they don't need to be. After about a week my dog went from not able to stand, tripping over her feet and not eating to being like she was 2 years old again.
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...r-disease.aspx

Mary, Here is a link to "Vestibular Disease" also known as "Old Dog Disease". My dog had it and some of my clients as well. It appears like a Neurological disorder (stroke-like, seizures etc.) but in some mild cases it sounds a lot like you described. It's basically Vertigo. DO NOT put a dog down until a couple weeks after the symptoms appear because they "POOF" go away as quickly as they come on. My vet even said when a person comes in with a dog presenting with the symptoms, he refuses to euthanize them and tells them to wait.

It's good for any dog owner to know about as THOUSANDS are put down when they don't need to be. After about a week my dog went from not able to stand, tripping over her feet and not eating to being like she was 2 years old again.
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...r-disease.aspx
    I would say putting a pet down is a big decision, but you have to think about the animal's quality of life. When my GS mix was 17 she was in very poor health. When I got a kitten she had periods of time where she booted and rallied, but she was in pain and suffering. I took her to a clinic where they said she only had a liver infection, and that we shouldn't euthanize her. She was in horrible shape and 17 years old! I couldn't believe they said that to us!

Now I work at a clinic, and I'm always very respectful towards owners and their pets. I have seen over a hundred euths, and every one upsets me I've even had to step out of a room a couple times, bc I cry when men and old people cry.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I would say putting a pet down is a big decision, but you have to think about the animal's quality of life. When my GS mix was 17 she was in very poor health. When I got a kitten she had periods of time where she booted and rallied, but she was in pain and suffering. I took her to a clinic where they said she only had a liver infection, and that we shouldn't euthanize her. She was in horrible shape and 17 years old! I couldn't believe they said that to us!

Now I work at a clinic, and I'm always very respectful towards owners and their pets. I have seen over a hundred euths, and every one upsets me I've even had to step out of a room a couple times, bc I cry when men and old people cry.
    Oh I know. I'm not saying if there is health problems that are affecting their quality of life that it isn't the right choice. It definitely is. Just to make sure it isn't something like Vestibular Disease which goes away after a week or two. Something temporary. That's all.

ETA: btw I could NEVER assist with putting animals to sleep. It kills me when we heart of a client passing away. Which I justdid! "Oh Yeah. Should mention that we lost Lily last November. But we have a new cat now". This was an afterthought after talking to me TWICE in the past week! I loved Lily
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 01-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Oh I know. I'm not saying if there is health problems that are affecting their quality of life that it isn't the right choice. It definitely is. Just to make sure it isn't something like Vestibular Disease which goes away after a week or two. Something temporary. That's all.

ETA: btw I could NEVER assist with putting animals to sleep. It kills me when we heart of a client passing away. Which I justdid! "Oh Yeah. Should mention that we lost Lily last November. But we have a new cat now". This was an afterthought after talking to me TWICE in the past week! I loved Lily
    It is extremely hard. The animals that I see put to sleep are extremely ill, but it's still sad. It's the worst part of my job. I went into this field because I love animals and I want to help them. I hate participating in their deaths. hate it.

These people brought in a perfectly healthy cat they said they didn't want anymore. They said they didn't want to be present for the euth. We did not euth that cat. One of my coworkers has it. We could get in a lot of trouble for that, but oh well we aren't going to kill a cat just because the owners don't want it anymore.

It is extremely hard. The animals that I see put to sleep are extremely ill, but it's still sad. It's the worst part of my job. I went into this field because I love animals and I want to help them. I hate participating in their deaths. hate it.

These people brought in a perfectly healthy cat they said they didn't want anymore. They said they didn't want to be present for the euth. We did not euth that cat. One of my coworkers has it. We could get in a lot of trouble for that, but oh well we aren't going to kill a cat just because the owners don't want it anymore.
    Good on you for saving the Kitty

A little windy today...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information