Thread: Bruce Babb's mother (69) commited suicide because her son tried to kill her

Bruce Babb's mother (69) commited suicide because her son tried to kill her

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080829/NEWS/808290317/1001
    A Sioux Falls man who drove his car into his elderly mother in a grocery store parking lot was sentenced Thursday to five years in prison.

Bruce Leroy Babb, 45, pleaded guilty in July to his fourth drunken driving offense in the past 10 years.

A prosecutor said he was forced to drop an aggravated assault charge because Babb's mother killed herself three weeks after the May 1 incident, in which Babb hit his mother after she complained that he parked too far away from the east-side Hy-Vee store.

Deputy Minnehaha County State's Attorney Paul Bengford said the 69-year-old woman's suicide note read, in part, "I can't understand why he hit me with a car except that he was drinking."

Defense lawyer Mike Miller said Babb lived with and cared for his mother. He asked for a sentence to the local jail rather than prison.

"In some ways, he's already been punished some by losing her," Miller said.

Babb began his statement to the court by admitting he is an alcoholic. He said he wants to use his time behind bars to get treatment and hopes to be a good father once he gets out.

Bengford said Babb's history, which includes at least eight drunken driving arrests and five convictions, warrants a penitentiary sentence.

Circuit Judge Brad Zell agreed.

"I really have little choice but to impose a penitentiary sentence," Zell said.

The judge revoked Babb's driver's license for life and urged him to get healthy.

"Not only for yourself, but if you can maintain sobriety, do it for your mother as well," he said.

Having already served three months in jail, Babb will be parole eligible in 21 months.

Reach reporter Josh Verges at 331-2335.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Re: Bruce Babb's mother (69) commited suicide because her son tried to kill her

45 is a little old to still have your mom doing your chores for you.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Bruce Babb's mother (69) commited suicide because her son tried to kill her

These parents nowadays won't let these kids accomplish anything on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information