Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So, my fucking dog...

Well the first thing that raised red flags for me was the thread title... but I know I'm an old fogey so...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    Should I keep her? I don't know what to do!
    This is where my shape up or ship out comment came from... I know that's not what you said but, that's the tone I heard again, I'm probably reading something you didn't mean.

This is my first dog. There won't be a second dog.
    Yeah that sounds like a real dog lover. Nothing really wrong with not being a dog nut, but it sure makes being dog owner easier. I imagine that being crazy about your child makes it easier to to overlook irritations and work throug problems.

:-| I'm sorry I don't have such an overwhelming love for dogs that to can sense it over the Internet lol.

And you're right. I am obviously not a "dog person", but I do love my dog! Did I ever say something about her shaping up or shipping out? No. I didn't. I came here to ask for advice about the dog because I am still learning about dogs! Why did getting rid of her ever come up? Because my vet suggested I euthanize her.

oh right, my daughter wasn't really attached to the rabbit. However, she is really attached to the dog and they are great with each other. She is doing fine. She hasn't asked any questions about the rabbit today. My daughter is my main concern. She seems to be okay. :)
    I am glad you didn't take the vet's advice! There are idiot vets out there. Most are great, but the single most miserable excuse for a human that I know is a vet. He used to work with the greyhound track and run animal control here and was responsible for a lot of misery. Anyway...

I understand the worry about the kiddo, hope you get to a good place for all of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well the first thing that raised red flags for me was the thread title... but I know I'm an old fogey so...

This is where my shape up or ship out comment came from... I know that's not what you said but, that's the tone I heard again, I'm probably reading something you didn't mean.

Yeah that sounds like a real dog lover. Nothing really wrong with not being a dog nut, but it sure makes being dog owner easier. I imagine that being crazy about your child makes it easier to to overlook irritations and work throug problems.

I am glad you didn't take the vet's advice! There are idiot vets out there. Most are great, but the single most miserable excuse for a human that I know is a vet. He used to work with the greyhound track and run animal control here and was responsible for a lot of misery. Anyway...

I understand the worry about the kiddo, hope you get to a good place for all of you.
    well, having been a dog owner before, and understanding dog behavior, it's easy to see these concerns as an overreaction. i think her first instinct is correct though, given the little exposure she's had. if you have to choose between your child and your dog, i would hope anyone would choose their child. of course, that's not the case here, but i can see thinking that if a dog attacks and kills a small animal, they may pose a threat to your children.

she came looking for a solution and it may help her feel more comfortable with the dog if she learns more about dog behavior, dog and human interaction, etc. that seems to be what she's trying to do. making her feel like an ass hole isn't going to help her accept the dog more readily (not saying that this is what you are trying to do, but it seems like that is how she is perceiving it).
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Yeah not my intention to make her feel bad. I've had a couple of recent bad experiences with newbie dog owners that have probably helped make me harsher than I should be. A friend who really shouldn't be trusted with a pet rock took in a great dane that she spent 8 months not training. Waited until the dane just about killed her two little dogs in spite of my begging her to go to class, or to bring the dog over here so I could help her learn to work with her or something. Then when things blew up she dump the dog at the shelter rather than manage things for a few days until we could hook the dane up with gd rescue. Now I find out she's got a new (3 week old) puppy that a friend of hers foisted on her when Mom rejected her. grrrr. Another friend... well anyway I'm cranky.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

i remember you mentioning that... i want a great dane!!! i can't believe she got a new puppy though. i hope she is taking your advice with this one, at least?

given what wg has said, she's is acknowledging that she may not be cut out as a dog owner and probably won't run through puppies trying to find the right fit...

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    i remember you mentioning that... i want a great dane!!! i can't believe she got a new puppy though. i hope she is taking your advice with this one, at least?

given what wg has said, she's is acknowledging that she may not be cut out as a dog owner and probably won't run through puppies trying to find the right fit...
    She says she's signed up for puppy classes as soon as it's old enough, so that's good. Her real problem is that she's a softy. The dog needs her, so she takes it, even though she's not equipped to take care of it. Her former step kid needs her, so she takes him in. It's kind of a reoccurring theme.

It is true, though, that taking a dog to obedience school teaches them to be obedient to the people training the dog unless you also learn skills to deal with the animal. I don't think it's meant to be like YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A DOG ASSHOLE, more like one thing people don't realize when they get a dog is that the dog is way dumber than the human, so the human has to be the one who is like RESPECT ME.

My daughter killed a hamster when she was 3, I didn't have her put to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ShellJett View Post
    And this is why I love this thread. I have to use a technique with food to introduce my dog to people. What was once an inconvenience has become an ordeal. I used cheese, then ground chicken, but he seems to be allergic to everything. I need to socialize him more but don't know what to use for a tempting treat. I have regular cooked chicken for him, but he is so broken out and on meds, so I'm holding off on trying. Any ideas?
    Sweet potato treats! These are usually human babies' first solid after cereal. Rice chex are a good treat, too!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

IMO, dogs and children are a lot alike, they aren't born bad they just have the misfortune of being raised by bad owners/parents. People think oooh what a neat puppy not thinking past their own asses that the sweet puppy is going to grow into a 175 lb horse. So they stick this poor dog on a chain in the back yard which basically results in a totally neurotic dog. Mentally could you handle spending most of your life on a chain? I worked humane investigations years ago in La. It is totally fucked up what people do to their pets. To me a dog is like a part of the family. I have a fatassed puss boxer snoring on my couch at this very moment. If someone ever breaks in we are totally fucked. She will either A) Hide and cry or B) Go get her frisbee so they can play after intruder murders us

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    If someone ever breaks in we are totally fucked. She will either A) Hide and cry or B) Go get her frisbee so they can play after intruder murders us
    Yeah. My one hope is that the intruder trips over a dog or a dog toy and knocks himself out...

Some kids are born bad.

True..but I think nurture can influence nature

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    I keep reading this title wrong.

I bought an older "puppy" that no one wanted. She had some issues, but she is sweet in her own dysfunctional way. I found putting a harness on her with her lead on at all times in the house to be beneficial. If she got out of line, I would tie it to a door knob for time out. It worked when nothing else would and had the added benefit of house training her when nothing else worked. Other than biting the mailman once (totally his fault btw) and killing random oppossum and baby bunnies that wander into the yard, she has been a good dog. She is 17 now and appears to be very deaf. She's also a bit confused and we have to go outside and bring her up to the back door when she goes outside. She has horrible breast lumps and now walks stiff legged. She can't jump up onto the couch anymore and she whines to be picked up. Her days are short and I worry that she won't be with us much longer. I'm glad I took her in...She had a bit of an aggressive attitude when she was young and to put it bluntly, she is pretty stupid. In another home, she may have been abused. Anyhoo, the halter and lead worked because I think she thought it meant she was under someones control when she wore it...even if someone wasn't holding on to the other end of the lead, it served as a reminder to her to behave.

The bunny story sort of hits home. The other morning I walked into the kitchen and our very young cat was sitting up, like he was begging and looking in the laundry room. I asked him what he was looking at and when I did, our bird flew to me. Somehow the bird opened his cage and was free roaming the laundry room. He could have been a cat toy...lol. We also have 3 pet mice and 5 cats. We have a 3 legged kitty mill breeder bengal that we rescued who doesn't fit in. She spent 3yrs in a cage in really awful conditions. She won't allow anyone to pick her up, giving her meds is a nightmare and cleaning her ears is almost impossible. If another cat looks at her, she literally screams and she swats at anything or anyone that passes by. My daughter showed her one of the mice the other day and surpisingly the cat rubbed her face all over the mouse like she loved it. Weird cat. Don't give up on the dog, they get better with age...but if you do, try to re-home it. There are other suckers like me who will take in problem pets. If you replace the bunny, put a padlock on the cage till your child is old enough to understand the dangers of letting the bunny out. Pets will enrich your childs life.

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    IMO, dogs and children are a lot alike, they aren't born bad they just have the misfortune of being raised by bad owners/parents. People think oooh what a neat puppy not thinking past their own asses that the sweet puppy is going to grow into a 175 lb horse. So they stick this poor dog on a chain in the back yard which basically results in a totally neurotic dog. Mentally could you handle spending most of your life on a chain? I worked humane investigations years ago in La. It is totally fucked up what people do to their pets. To me a dog is like a part of the family. I have a fatassed puss boxer snoring on my couch at this very moment. If someone ever breaks in we are totally fucked. She will either A) Hide and cry or B) Go get her frisbee so they can play after intruder murders us
    Forgive me for not using multi quote...You always read about dogs that save their owners by calling 911 and doing cpr. I fear that if I fell and whacked my head my dogs would offer me a squeeky and if I didn't respond would eat me for dinner.

My daughter adopted the coolest pitbull mix. I was extremely concerned at first, especially when she told me his history. His first owner put a harness on him that later had to be surgically removed from his back. When he was found he was almost dead, severely infected from the harness wound and being severely beaten. The second owner that took him in basically threw him in the back yard once they got him all fixed at the vet. When my daughter got him he was extremely skittish but immediately took to my grandchildren. He had never been an inside dog before but had no problem adjusting like a gentleman. The only problem was she could not put him outside because he would have severe panic attacks of being left outside. He gets along great with two other dogs in the house and a cat. He stands guard over the kids including children he has never been around before. The first weekend we were around him we all went swimming. Dexter started pacing and making the strangest crying noise that I have ever heard when my son got on a rope swing and jumped in the water. The dog rushed in the water after my son and was not happy until my son got completely out of the water. The 2nd time my son got on the rope Dex grabbed him by the back of his shoe to keep him from going in. It was freaky. This dog was obviously beaten at one time and was in a household where the children and woman was beaten as well. You have to approach Dex underhanded instead of coming from above especially with the leash. A dog really can't distinguish the difference between a leash and a belt. He is extremely distrustful of men and gets aggitated when my son-in-law roughhouses with the kids or my daughter. It took him quite awhile to figure out that my son-in-law wasn't a threat. When he finally took to him my SOL was extremely sick and the dog would not leave his side and stayed with his head propped on SOL's lap the whole day. My daughter went to take a shower and all the sudden heard the dog making the weird crying noise that he made that day with my son and went to find SOL having seizure. The neatest thing about this dog is that the scar that was left between his shoulders from the ingrown harness is a perfect white cross on his black coat.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    omg that poor dog has had such a tough life. glad he's in a better place now.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by oh right View Post
    Maybe the vet gave that advice because the dog killed the 4 year old's rabbit in front of the kid. The child should be the main concern here. Was she attached to the rabbit? How does she get along with the dog? Dogs are pack animals and sometimes they see small kids as part of the pack, and try to establish themselves has higher up in the pack. I got that from my daughter's pediatrician after my dog snatched food from her hand when she was 4. Labs are great dogs, and good with kids, but I can see why the vet thought this may be a dangerous situation.
    I still think the vet should have suggested re-homing the dog not killing it. It just doesn't seem to fit the crime.

Definately get a new vet. There is no rule that you have to stick with the same vet. I have had three while being a pet mommy and finally found one I love. Also I have a 3 year old black lab that I have had since a puppy and she is still a bit of a handful. It's just their spirit. And I will confess Molly killed a bird right in front of me. An innocent robin. It wasn't vicious, it's just what retrievers do. As long as your daughter is not afraid of the dog now it should be ok.

I gotta question some vets. I had a friend who's grandmother was dying that agreed that when grandma died that he would put the dog to sleep so it could be buried with the old lady. That's fucked up on vet and grandma's part to kill a perfectly healthy pet that several family members were gladly willing to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    It's a Labrador Retriever,
    My dog will only chase people and animals if they run from him. And now I have to stop and say, "Duh" to myself, cause he is a Yellow Lab Retriever.

Thanks Shins.

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

I have HUUUUGE dogs. They were only leetle babies in this video but they adored OKAC's wabbit Ezmo. ADORED.

If OKAC wouldnt have had a handle on Ezmo, Jasmine might have killed him on accident because she just wants to loooove on him. She doesnt realize her size. She more than twice that size now at about 240lbs.

In my personal opinion as a tech, I don't think the dog killed the rabbit on purpose. If the dog would have killed the rabbit on purpose, there would have been blood. When you pick up rabbits by the scruff, you have to make sure you support their legs. They have very powerful leg muscles, and it is possible they can kick out with enough force to fracture their own spine. I've seen paralyzed rabbits before. I think what probably happened was the dog picked up the rabbit with it's teeth, the rabbit panicked and kicked out, and the dog jerked it's head back. It was an unfortunate accident. Any vet that suggests the dog be put down obviously doesn't care enough to offer another solution. I hate vets sometimes for that reason.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Most of the time when you have a dog that chases, it's not about being mean, that is play for a dog. A retriever retrieves it's a sporting dog that's what it does. Hunters that use the dogs for hunting have to train the dog not to bite down or chew on what it retrieves. The was a book out years ago called The Right Dog For You. Also there are numerous websites that aid in choosing a dog with the qualities and temperament that you want in a dog. You can't get a sporting dog or a working dog and expect it to just sit in the corner and do nothing. They have to be kept active or they are like little kids, they get into trouble. A retriever loves to play frisbee or catch. My dad made a spring loaded ball launcher that the dog could hit the foot with her paw and it would throw the ball for her. They had a whole clothes basket of tennis balls for her and she would play till she ran out of balls and someone would have to go and gather them up again.
    Years ago when the Jack Russell craze hit we ended up having them surrendered at the shelter by the droves. People would spend a small fortune on these dogs and because a JR has a very distinct, tenacious, and stubborn personality because they are highly intelligent a lot of the owners could not handle them once they had them. I absolutely hate to see puppies in pet shops because they are in most cases an impulse buy, not to mention contributing to the puppymill industry which his is absolutely sickening within itself. Sorry for the long winded commentary but this one of those things I feel very strongly about. Alot of people want to vilify the animal control/animal shelter industry but it is a necessary evil that would not exist if it weren't for shitty pet owners.

WTBB, i love that video of jasmine and ezmo. soooo cute! okac is pretty cute too.

I love the mastiff breed. They are so laid back and mellow. Totally content to veg out on the couch and watch cartoons with the kids. Just have to have a really big ass couch.

Thread Information