Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Finch (28) murdered by SWAT Team after online gaming feud leads to 'swatting' hoax

Andrew Finch (28) murdered by SWAT Team after online gaming feud leads to 'swatting' hoax

To be clear, the guy who was killed was not part of the feud. Two douchebags playing Call of Duty got mad at each other. Douchebag A threatened to call the SWAT Team on Douchebag B. Douchebag B gave Douchebag A his neighbor's address instead of his own, now an innocent, 28-year-old father of two young children is dead.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/cri...192111974.html

Online gamers have said in multiple Twitter posts that the shooting of a man Thursday night by Wichita police was the result of a "swatting" hoax involving two gamers.

Swatting happened when someone makes a call to a police department with a false story of an ongoing crime -- often with killing or hostages involved -- in an attempt to draw a large number of police officers to a particular address.

Swatting has gained traction across the country with online gamers. Those who try to cause the swatting incident will use caller ID spoofing or other techniques to disguise their number as being local. Or they call local non-emergency numbers instead of 911, according to 911.gov.

Deputy Wichita Police Chief Troy Livingston said Thursday night that police were looking into whether the call that led to the shooting was a case of swatting.

Livingston said the department received a call that someone had an argument with their mother, that the father had been shot in the head and the shooter was holding his mother, brother and sister hostage.

"That was the information we were working off of," he said.

Wichita police say a man was fatally shot by an officer who was responding to a call about a homicide and hostage situation that turned out to be false.

Officers went to the 1000 block of McCormick, preparing for a hostage situation and they "got into position," he said.

"A male came to the front door," Livingston said. "As he came to the front door, one of our officers discharged his weapon."

Livingston didn't say if the man, who was 28, had a weapon when he came to the door, or what caused the officer to shoot the man. Police don't think the man fired at officers, but the incident is still under investigation, he said. The man, who has not been identified by police, died at a local hospital.

A family member identified that man who was shot by police as Andrew Finch. One of Finch's cousins said Finch didn't play video games.

"This call was little peculiar for us," Livingston said. "(The call) went to a substation first, then it was relayed to dispatch, then dispatch gave it to us. We have a lot of information to go through."

On Twitter, more than a dozen people who identified themselves as being in the gaming community told The Eagle that a feud between two Call of Duty players sparked one to initiate a "swatting" call.

After news began to spread about what happened Thursday night, the people in the gaming community, through Twitter posts, pointed at two gamers.

"I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION," said one gamer, who others said made the swatting call. His account was suspended overnight.

According to posts on Twitter, two gamers were arguing when one threatened to target the other with a swatting call. The person who was the target of the swatting gave the other gamer a false address, which sent police to a nearby home instead of his own, according to Twitter posts.

The person who was to be the target of the swatting sent a Tweet saying, "Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed."

Livingston, the deputy police chief, would only provide the block number of the home where the shooting occurred, not the specific address. Police were seen in the front yards of two houses across from each other at the corner of Seneca and McCormick.

Dexerto, a online news service focused on gaming and the Call of Duty game, reported the argument began over a $1 or $2 wager over the game.

"Normally this is a prank, but due to the high stress situation, sometimes it is closer to a death threat from a user trying to get cops to kill them," one man told The Eagle in an email.

The officer who fired the shot -- a seven-year veteran of the police department -- will be placed on administrative paid leave, which is department policy.

Police expect to release more information later Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/cri...192147194.html

Family says son killed by police in 'swatting' was unarmed, didn't play video games

Blue and red lights flashed outside of the McCormick Street house just after 6 p.m. on Thursday. Curious of what was going on -- Andrew Finch, 28, opened the door.

"I heard my son scream, I got up and then I heard a shot," his mother, Lisa Finch, said Friday morning.

Finch and other relatives invited reporters into their home Friday morning -- more than 12 hours after Wichita police said an officer fatally shot a 28-year-old man, who was identified by family as Andrew "Andy" Finch.

"We want Andy's side of the story to be told," his mother said.
    Finch said her son, a father of two young children, wasn't armed.

Wichita police say a man was fatally shot by an officer who was responding to a call about a homicide and hostage situation that turned out to be false.

As the Finch family talked to reporters, they carefully navigated their way around their foyer, and pointed out a reminder of what happened.

"There's where he was shot," Andrew Finch's aunt, Lorrie Hernandez-Caballero, said, as she pointed to spots of blood on the home?s porch, and on the carpet just inside the door. "They (police) had to take the screen door as evidence."

After she heard the shot, Finch said she walked out of her bedroom and into the kitchen. A door leading from the kitchen to the side yard was open, she said.

"The police said, 'Come out with your hands up,'c she said. "(The officer) took me, my roommate and my granddaughter, who witnessed the shooting and had to step over her dying uncle's body."

The family was handcuffed, taken outside and placed into separate police cruisers, she said. They were taken downtown and interviewed by Wichita police officers.

Asked if the family has talked to investigators from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Finch said they were told KBI investigators would contact them.

But they have questions now.

"What gives the cops the right to open fire?" Finch asked. "Why didn't they give him the same warning they gave us? That cop murdered my son over a false report."

Finch and Hernandez-Caballero said they want to see the officer -- identified only as a seven-year veteran of the department -- and the person who made the false report held accountable.

"The person who made the phone call took my nephew, her son, two kids' father," Hernandez-Caballero said. "How does it feel to be a murderer? I can't believe people do this on purpose."

Online gamers have said in multiple Twitter posts that the shooting was the result of a "swatting" call involving two gamers.

Andrew Finch was not involved in the online game, according to his mother and people in the gaming community.

"He doesn't play video games," Finch said. "He has better things to do with his time."
    Andrew Finch leaves behind two children -- ages 2 and 7. He is from Virginia and the family moved to Wichita in the mid-1990s.

"He was very kind and caring," Finch said. "He was in gifted classes. He was very artistic. He would draw any picture ... He would do anything for his family."
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Nvm I'm confused. I didn't know a civilian could call the SWAT team on someone.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 12-29-2017 at 05:08 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Technically you can't ring & just request them but if you describe a murder & an ongoing armed siege, there's a pretty good likelihood that's who's going to turn up.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This is SUCH bullshit!!!!!! He's dead now because of those assholes? Not only should the SWAT be looked in to, but so should the neighbors that called. An innocent person is dead now because of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I hope the asshat that called the police gets charged. Why they would take the chance of putting someone's life in danger like that is just beyond me. They can't even say they didn't know something like this could happen either bc what did they think would happen when you make a report like that?!
    I feel bad for the guy's kids, they're w/o a daddy bc of pure stupidity.

They arrested the little piece of shit who called 911. I hope he gets charged with more than just filing a false report:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3726171

Los Angeles man arrested in 'swatting' prank

An alleged serial "prankster" from California has been arrested over a fake 911 call that resulted in police fatally shooting an unarmed Kansas man earlier this week, officials said.

Tyler Barriss -- a 25-year-old gamer suspected of making the false police report that led to the death of Wichita resident Andrew Finch -- was cuffed by Los Angeles cops late Friday. The catastrophic prank Barriss carried out, known as "swatting," has gained traction in online gaming communities and typically involves a person making up a story about an ongoing violent crime to trigger a massive police response.

Finch was gunned down on Thursday night after cops believe Barriss told a 911 dispatcher that he had shot his father and was holding his mother and younger brother hostage.

"I shot him in the head and he's not breathing anymore," Barriss said, according to a recording of the call released by the Wichita Police Department.

Barriss then added, "I might just pour gasoline all over the house, I might just set it on fire."

Barriss gave cops Finch's address, mistakenly believing it belonged to a person he had feuded with over a $1 or $2 Call of Duty wager.

"Due to the actions of a prankster we have an innocent victim," Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston said during a press conference Friday night.

Barriss' unnerving 911 call set cops rushing to Finch's house, expecting an ongoing hostage situation. Instead, an unarmed and unsuspecting Finch came to the front door.

Suspect in Ohio triple slaying arrested after SWAT team standoff

Officers screamed at Finch to put his hands in the air, but Livingston said the 28-year-old father of two young boys moved a hand toward his waistband. An officer, fearing Finch was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot. Finch died minutes later.

A series of since-deleted Twitter posts screen-grabbed by the Wichita Eagle suggest that the targeted Call of Duty gamer gave Barriss a fake address that ? seemingly by complete happenstance ? turned out to be Finch's.

This isn't the first time Barriss has landed in trouble over fake 911 calls. In 2015, he was slammed with federal charges after getting arrested for falsely claiming to have planted bombs at the offices of an ABC affiliate in Los Angeles.

Link to 911 call: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...424514%2F&_rdr

Photo of victim:

So many assholes involved in this story. Poor Andrew.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This is SUCH bullshit!!!!!! He's dead now because of those assholes? Not only should the SWAT be looked in to, but so should the neighbors that called. An innocent person is dead now because of them!
    Everyone involved directly in his death should be charged with something that includes a long jail sentence, but of course the cop will be put on paid administrative leave and that's probably it.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I play games online like a boss. Let me be clear: Swatting someone because you got your ass kicked makes you a ginormous asshole. Like, a Uranus sized asshole.

Obviously you just aren't good enough to hang with the big boys/girls so you rant and go fucknuts because you aren't as talented as others are at the game.

Why? Because instead of getting better at a game by practicing, you instead call the cops and have them sent to the home of someone who bested you AT A FUCKING GAME.

Could you be a bigger wuss?

Now a guy is dead.

And you, donut eating assholes who call yourself police officers: Your job isn't to shoot people when you don't understand what the fuck is going on! You cowardly sacks of shit! Why don't you learn how to do your fucking job? It's called investigating, and it is too often not done - as evidenced by....

What a clusterfuck.

I hope that officer feels like total shit for what he's done. No one else opened fire, and I guaranfuckingtee you there were probably more than 10 officers at the scene.

I hope his face haunts that officer until the day he dies.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I play games online like a boss. Let me be clear: Swatting someone because you got your ass kicked makes you a ginormous asshole. Like, a Uranus sized asshole.

Obviously you just aren't good enough to hang with the big boys/girls so you rant and go fucknuts because you aren't as talented as others are at the game.

Why? Because instead of getting better at a game by practicing, you instead call the cops and have them sent to the home of someone who bested you AT A FUCKING GAME.

Could you be a bigger wuss?

Now a guy is dead.

And you, donut eating assholes who call yourself police officers: Your job isn't to shoot people when you don't understand what the fuck is going on! You cowardly sacks of shit! Why don't you learn how to do your fucking job? It's called investigating, and it is too often not done - as evidenced by....

What a clusterfuck.

I hope that officer feels like total shit for what he's done. No one else opened fire, and I guaranfuckingtee you there were probably more than 10 officers at the scene.

I hope his face haunts that officer until the day he dies.

I don't think we can hold the cop as accountable as the callers. Unless I misread, he was just going on the false information given to him and thought a man inside had shot his father, was holding his mother and brother hostage, and was contemplating starting a house fire.

I don't know what procedure is in place for this, but it's pretty safe to assume that the cop was going in with the goal to save lives, even if that meant neutralizing the threat ( killing the hostage-taker.)

This is even more of a reason to toss those asshole gamers away for a long,long time.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

I hope this piece of shit who called the cops gets fucking life in prison.

Over a goddamned video game. If I believed in Hell I'd want him to fucking rot there for eternity.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

The other gamer had nothing to do with the SWAT prank did he?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I hope this piece of shit who called the cops gets fucking life in prison.

Over a goddamned video game. If I believed in Hell I'd want him to fucking rot there for eternity.
    Looks like the max sentence is 15 years but I hope he gets that...punk ass piece of shit...I bet he though he was real clever too...some of these gamers are so out of touch with reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    The other gamer had nothing to do with the SWAT prank did he?
    No. Only the butt hurt asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jp1129 View Post
    Looks like the max sentence is 15 years but I hope he gets that...punk ass piece of shit...I bet he though he was real clever too...some of these gamers are so out of touch with reality...
    I hadn't heard of this "tactic" until they featured it on an episode of Blue Bloods, where Selleck's right hand guy gets Swatted. I just remember thinking how fucking scary that would be. You're just sitting at home, minding your business, and a SWAT team shows up which could kill you.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

he gave him the wrong address?
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    he gave him the wrong address?

Yes. When that Tyler scumbag started threatening to SWAT the other gamer, the other gamer said sure, go ahead ... and, because he is also a scumbag, he gave Tyler his neighbor's address instead of his own.

I hadn't heard of this "tactic" until they featured it on an episode of Blue Bloods, where Selleck's right hand guy gets Swatted. I just remember thinking how fucking scary that would be. You're just sitting at home, minding your business, and a SWAT team shows up which could kill you.
    This story was the first time I?d ever heard of it...it baffles me that it?s a thing

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Ugh, you watch that horseshit propaganda?
    This is what happens when "NYPD Blue" is nowhere to be found!

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Yes. When that Tyler scumbag started threatening to SWAT the other gamer, the other gamer said sure, go ahead ... and, because he is also a scumbag, he gave Tyler his neighbor's address instead of his own.
    Slow down! This is totally something I would do, but I'd give him the address to the local precinct.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Ugh. I missed that part. They should be holding him responsible too.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is horrible. I never know swatting was a thing.

Wasn't there a period of time not that long ago where celebs were the target of swatting?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

His mother talking about him in the current tense is heart murdering.

"[My son] doesn't play video games; he has better things to do."

I just can't wrap my mind around how this is a "prank" or how a teenager, much less a 25 year old man, fails to see as potentially very, very dangerous. How could anyone in this culture in this day and age not realize that someone is more likely than not to be hurt or killed when you sent a swat team in on unsuspecting people? How many cases of night raids gone bad, kids shot accidentally by cops, unarmed people being killed does someone have to see before they think, "Oh, perhaps this could create a high-pressure situation where an innocent person could be shot out of carelessness, confusion, or any number of other factors in this pressurized environment."

Thread Information