Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Per Request: Video of secret Mormon ceremony inside temple

[QUOTE=animosity;3253278]being baptized for the dead seems so strange to me! i'm not saying anything about you - just that the concept is mind boggling to me.

i was baptized catholic, went to a catholic school for a minute and did church, catechism and communion. that's where i fell off. i never had any connection to the girls in my school or other people from my church. none of it ever made sense to me so when i grew up i just decided to believe that when i die i will either cease to exist or make it into some kind of happy place.

i've never had any fear of this 'hell' thing because, honestly... i'm not an ass hole. i have a good 'soul'. i am very confident in that and i don't feel the need to believe in a deity, worship him or her and tell people about it to ensure my fate. any god who doesn't think i'm good enough for salvation because i didn't say the right word is a dick.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem I have with JW. They believe they are God's chosen people and everyone else will not make the "new system". I've had arguments with them over the teachings and I'm called apostate. Whatever. My question is why would someone like Mother Teresa NOT make it to the "new system" and a JW who has done NOTHING for the world will??? I got the evil eye and no answers. I've found so many inconsistencies when I started looking that my head was spinning.
    "When it comes time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~ Confucius

[QUOTE=Crazy Lady;3253411]
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    being baptized for the dead seems so strange to me! i'm not saying anything about you - just that the concept is mind boggling to me.

i was baptized catholic, went to a catholic school for a minute and did church, catechism and communion. that's where i fell off. i never had any connection to the girls in my school or other people from my church. none of it ever made sense to me so when i grew up i just decided to believe that when i die i will either cease to exist or make it into some kind of happy place.

i've never had any fear of this 'hell' thing because, honestly... i'm not an ass hole. i have a good 'soul'. i am very confident in that and i don't feel the need to believe in a deity, worship him or her and tell people about it to ensure my fate. any god who doesn't think i'm good enough for salvation because i didn't say the right word is a dick.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem I have with JW. They believe they are God's chosen people and everyone else will not make the "new system". I've had arguments with them over the teachings and I'm called apostate. Whatever. My question is why would someone like Mother Teresa NOT make it to the "new system" and a JW who has done NOTHING for the world will??? I got the evil eye and no answers. I've found so many inconsistencies when I started looking that my head was spinning.
    ha! i've used this exact argument with street preachers. one flat out told me mother teresa is going to hell because she didn't officially take the christian god into her heart.

i refuse to take part in any religion that refuses to acknowledge that there are good people of other faiths and good people of no faith. i personally, try to live my life on earth as if there is no heaven - meaning, i try to better the lives of people i come in contact with and the community around me because we all deserve to find peace and happiness here.

not that i'm a mother teresa, but it does really affect me when i see someone hurting or in need of help. i always try to find solutions or assistance for people that need it. even when i'm having an off day, i very seldom contribute to creating a problem and then feel worse afterward. in what nutty universe would a god send me to hell? i don't think so.

that may be my number one reason for steering clear of religion in general. i don't liked coercion and threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I was in the garage with my dad one day. I see a green Jeep Cherokee half ass park on the berm in front of my parents house. I tell dad, 'oh shit, were deaf." He says, "HEAH?" (that's how he says huh) I say, "we're deaf, here comes the Mormans." It was two young boys. One had to have just turned 16 and the other boy was probably 12 or 13. They start talking and I cut them off, trying to tell them I'm deaf. I start making hand gestures to dad and he's hand gesturing back to me. The poor kids looked sad, confused, and frustrated. The youngest boy told the older boy to write everything down for us. The oldest boy started to write stuff down and he got frustrated because it would be too much. I started gesturing to shoo them off. The oldest boy started talking real slow to tell me they were going to bring someone back who could talk to me. I just gave them a thumbs up and shooed them off.
    I started acting deaf when someone approached me in the middle of the night at a gas station in Baltimore, Maryland. It works. But, if there is a hell, I'm definitely going there.

walking through a parking lot with my dog, one day, some guy comes running up from the christian church across the street and asks if i have taken christ into my heart and i say no, of course, and he begins explaining souls to me... he decides to use my dog as an exaple, saying that my dog hasn't been blessed with a soul and therefore has no way into heaven.

this is where i drew the line! i cut him off and said, 'sir, you have obviously not met my dog - her soul is likely more pure than yours. good day sir!'

i certainly want no part in a heaven that discriminates against my dog. SEXY JUDY HAS A SOUL, DAMMIT!

[QUOTE=animosity;3253415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Lady View Post

ha! i've used this exact argument with street preachers. one flat out told me mother teresa is going to hell because she didn't officially take the christian god into her heart.

i refuse to take part in any religion that refuses to acknowledge that there are good people of other faiths and good people of no faith. i personally, try to live my life on earth as if there is no heaven - meaning, i try to better the lives of people i come in contact with and the community around me because we all deserve to find peace and happiness here.

not that i'm a mother teresa, but it does really affect me when i see someone hurting or in need of help. i always try to find solutions or assistance for people that need it. even when i'm having an off day, i very seldom contribute to creating a problem and then feel worse afterward. in what nutty universe would a god send me to hell? i don't think so.

that may be my number one reason for steering clear of religion in general. i don't liked coercion and threats.
    I'm with you! I have no desire for organized religion. For a long time I thought I needed it, then I realized I never let go of the brainwashing. I now follow the church of Billy Joel, "I rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints". Any religion that encourages people to shun their families is useless to me.
    "When it comes time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    I was in the garage with my dad one day. I see a green Jeep Cherokee half ass park on the berm in front of my parents house. I tell dad, 'oh shit, were deaf." He says, "HEAH?" (that's how he says huh) I say, "we're deaf, here comes the Mormans." It was two young boys. One had to have just turned 16 and the other boy was probably 12 or 13. They start talking and I cut them off, trying to tell them I'm deaf. I start making hand gestures to dad and he's hand gesturing back to me. The poor kids looked sad, confused, and frustrated. The youngest boy told the older boy to write everything down for us. The oldest boy started to write stuff down and he got frustrated because it would be too much. I started gesturing to shoo them off. The oldest boy started talking real slow to tell me they were going to bring someone back who could talk to me. I just gave them a thumbs up and shooed them off.
    I started acting deaf when someone approached me in the middle of the night at a gas station in Baltimore, Maryland. It works. But, if there is a hell, I'm definitely going there.
    I have to borrow this!! All of my sisters "friends" know where I live, but it would so work on the random JW I meet out in service at stores!! I LOVE IT!!!

walking through a parking lot with my dog, one day, some guy comes running up from the christian church across the street and asks if i have taken christ into my heart and i say no, of course, and he begins explaining souls to me... he decides to use my dog as an exaple, saying that my dog hasn't been blessed with a soul and therefore has no way into heaven.

this is where i drew the line! i cut him off and said, 'sir, you have obviously not met my dog - her soul is likely more pure than yours. good day sir!'

i certainly want no part in a heaven that discriminates against my dog. SEXY JUDY HAS A SOUL, DAMMIT!
    Great response! I'd rather hang with my dogs than my sister! She always finds a way to bring Jehovah up in a conversation.

my mom is concerned that i want to join the mormons now because i keep asking her questions... i did consider inviting them in this thanksgiving since i found out that they are hoping people will feed them while they're out doing the holiday rounds, but i'm afraid that will put a target on our backs.

I have to borrow this!! All of my sisters "friends" know where I live, but it would so work on the random JW I meet out in service at stores!! I LOVE IT!!!
    I'm waiting for the day when I actually meet someone who can sign. I'm not sure what I will do then.

I did it in line to get into a club once. I'm standing in line talking to my friends and I see them look over my shoulder. I turn around and it's a bible thumper. I do the "I'm sorry I'm deaf," thing and he walks away. I reach in my pocket for my cell phone and say 'hello." The people in the line that witnessed it started dying laughing. I didn't have to pay a cover charge or buy any drinks that night. All the strangers from the line got me so wasted I blacked out and apparently had the whole bar licking my elbow. Good times.

my mom is concerned that i want to join the mormons now because i keep asking her questions... i did consider inviting them in this thanksgiving since i found out that they are hoping people will feed them while they're out doing the holiday rounds, but i'm afraid that will put a target on our backs.
    Do Mormon's celebrate all the holidays? I would have the same fear and it would keep me from asking. My daughter usually brings home soldiers who couldn't make it home for the holiday. Last year we had 3 soldiers who were so grateful to be asked. Unfortunately, her husband is being moved to AZ in January. I'm going to loose it when they move my grandchildren across the country. I'm willling time to slow down, sadly it hasn't.

I'm waiting for the day when I actually meet someone who can sign. I'm not sure what I will do then.

I did it in line to get into a club once. I'm standing in line talking to my friends and I see them look over my shoulder. I turn around and it's a bible thumper. I do the "I'm sorry I'm deaf," thing and he walks away. I reach in my pocket for my cell phone and say 'hello." The people in the line that witnessed it started dying laughing. I didn't have to pay a cover charge or buy any drinks that night. All the strangers from the line got me so wasted I blacked out and apparently had the whole bar licking my elbow. Good times.
    LMAO!!!!! I have a granddaughter who is 15 months old, she is learning sign language in day care. She rubs her tummy, for please, when she is hungry. When she really wants something her hand rubs very fast! It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!

so politically incorrect though! you're da bomb! (do kids still say this?)

Do Mormon's celebrate all the holidays? I would have the same fear and it would keep me from asking. My daughter usually brings home soldiers who couldn't make it home for the holiday. Last year we had 3 soldiers who were so grateful to be asked. Unfortunately, her husband is being moved to AZ in January. I'm going to loose it when they move my grandchildren across the country. I'm willling time to slow down, sadly it hasn't.
    i'm not sure if they celebrate it, but i'm pretty sure they're not like the JWs that way. mom told me once that they pretty much exist on the kindness of strangers and when they are on missions, they expect to be fed throughout the day by the families they speak with. doubly so because my mom is 'part of the church'.

i think i learned this last thanksgiving when i came back after turning them away and told her they seemed like they really wanted to come in and eat... she explained it to me and i felt bad. i'm sensitive.

i think i learned this last thanksgiving when i came back after turning them away and told her they seemed like they really wanted to come in and eat... she explained it to me and i felt bad. i'm sensitive.[/QUOTE]

I am too. I'm just afraid to give them a way back into my life. Fortunately they do not celebrate holidays, so there is no one I have to invite in.

LMAO!!!!! I have a granddaughter who is 15 months old, she is learning sign language in day care. She rubs her tummy, for please, when she is hungry. When she really wants something her hand rubs very fast! It's the cutest thing I've ever seen!
    This is so cute. The first image that came to mind is from Meet the Fockers when the little boy signs that he is hungry.

so politically incorrect though! you're da bomb! (do kids still say this?)

i'm not sure if they celebrate it, but i'm pretty sure they're not like the JWs that way. mom told me once that they pretty much exist on the kindness of strangers and when they are on missions, they expect to be fed throughout the day by the families they speak with. doubly so because my mom is 'part of the church'.

i think i learned this last thanksgiving when i came back after turning them away and told her they seemed like they really wanted to come in and eat... she explained it to me and i felt bad. i'm sensitive.
    It is PC incorrect, but hey, it works!

This is so cute. The first image that came to mind is from Meet the Fockers when the little boy signs that he is hungry.

It is PC incorrect, but hey, it works!
    I don't remember that part of the movie, will have to watch it again. It is so adorable, I videotaped her do it a few times. It's almost as cute as her throwing herself on the floor when you say no to something she wants. She doesn't cry, she just throws herself down and looks up smiling. She is so much fun.

Mormons celebrate all the holidays. Halloween is a harvest party tho, and they usually have gatherings at the church for all the kids and teenagers to get involved with.

They have summer camps also for the young women and young mens groups. I cant speak for the young mens but i want to one young womens group and it sucked, it was boring and there was a lot of praying and stuff ilke that.

Now, i appreciate prayer. i pray to god for comfort, support and i try to give my problems to god so he can help me get thru hard times.

[QUOTE=White trash bitchy blonde;3253468]Mormons celebrate all the holidays. Halloween is a harvest party tho, and they usually have gatherings at the church for all the kids and teenagers to get involved with.

They have summer camps also for the young women and young mens groups. I cant speak for the young mens but i want to one young womens group and it sucked, it was boring and there was a lot of praying and stuff ilke that.

Now, i appreciate prayer. i pray to god for comfort, support and i try to give my problems to god so he can help me get thru hard times.[/QUOTE]

ITA. It seems we're at the same place where religion is concerned.

I kinda try super hard to not get into the specifics of how i feel about religion and it's not because im ashamed of it, i just hate being attacked over it.

I am christian. I have a close personal relationship with the lord and i rely on him for support when in my darkest times. I ask him to guide me, help me, comfort me and i always remember to thank him as well for everything else he has done for me in my life.

It's because of my faith that im able to get thru some of the things ive been thru over the years.

I wish honestly that people could just say how they feel and not be mocked over it. i dont mock people for not believing because that is their own choice but i have plenty of times been told how i talk to me 'imaginary friend' and that pisses me off.

You dont have to believe what i do, i dont force anyone, its your choice. So dont mock me.

I don't remember that part of the movie, will have to watch it again. It is so adorable, I videotaped her do it a few times. It's almost as cute as her throwing herself on the floor when you say no to something she wants. She doesn't cry, she just throws herself down and looks up smiling. She is so much fun.

The Meet the Fockers part is when Robert DeNiro has the fake boob and the little boy milks the air. haha
    The little one sounds hilarious. Kids crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    I kinda try super hard to not get into the specifics of how i feel about religion and it's not because im ashamed of it, i just hate being attacked over it.

I am christian. I have a close personal relationship with the lord and i rely on him for support when in my darkest times. I ask him to guide me, help me, comfort me and i always remember to thank him as well for everything else he has done for me in my life.

It's because of my faith that im able to get thru some of the things ive been thru over the years.

I wish honestly that people could just say how they feel and not be mocked over it. i dont mock people for not believing because that is their own choice but i have plenty of times been told how i talk to me 'imaginary friend' and that pisses me off.

You dont have to believe what i do, i dont force anyone, its your choice. So dont mock me
    I've seen this.
    Word.

i don't mock people for their personal beliefs, i just hate being preached to. it feels like a record on repeat to me. if ever i'm working along side people of faith, i find myself wanting to say to them, 'hey, why don't we focus our conversations on what's happening here, on the physical plane and not on some hypothetical ethereal realm while we're spending our time together, yeah?'

i think it's good that people pray, if it helps them. i haven't ever felt the need. whenever i've tried, it's seemed forced. i feel like i'm looking for some magical answer and end up disappointed when it doesn't come. instead, i just think about the reasons why i'm upset, consider ways to fix it and seek help from other people when i can't find an answer myself.

In reference to prayer, i had someone tell me one time that when they pray, they don't get the answer they want.

And my response to that is that there is a reason you didnt get what you wanted when you prayed, maybe god has something else in store for you.

i dont feel that prayer should be forced. I find myself praying different times of the day and i usually ask for comfort. Comfort is my biggest need over the past year and I have had times were i felt absolute comfort wash over me. I dont want to get preachy or anything but i try to give my problems to god so he can help me. BUT a lot of times, i have taken those same problems back into my own hands and basically told god, 'no i got this' when i really didnt.

I think religion should be a choice. God gave us free will for a reason.

Oh and when i was 17, i was in salemw ith my mom and boyfriend at the time and the mormons came by to see my mom and my mom walked outside so the missionaries could talk to me and my boyfriend. We were sitting there on the couch and i was asking them questions and told them to hold on a sec. I went into my room and grabbed this book and brought it out and sat down.
    I looked at both those guys and said 'what is your take on this?' and they both just did a collective WHOA and said you need to gt rid of that!

It was a satanic bible that my boyfriend at the time had. He was reading it and it just basically was 'do what you want in this world, ther is no afterlife, etc'.
    As soon as my mom came in the house she was pissed that that book was in the house and made my boyfriend burn it.

The mormons were scared as all get out about that book.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    In reference to prayer, i had someone tell me one time that when they pray, they don't get the answer they want.

And my response to that is that there is a reason you didnt get what you wanted when you prayed, maybe god has something else in store for you.

i dont feel that prayer should be forced. I find myself praying different times of the day and i usually ask for comfort. Comfort is my biggest need over the past year and I have had times were i felt absolute comfort wash over me. I dont want to get preachy or anything but i try to give my problems to god so he can help me. BUT a lot of times, i have taken those same problems back into my own hands and basically told god, 'no i got this' when i really didnt.

I think religion should be a choice. God gave us free will for a reason.
    So what's the point of prayer?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    So what's the point of prayer?
    No, i can ask god to let me win the powerball, doesnt mean its going to happen. He isnt santa clause. He may be answering your prayer but you just arent getting the answer you wanted.

i pray all the time that i want my mom back. it's not gonna happen. i ask for comfort when im having those really bad days where she is literally all i can think of and believe me, this year i have prayed more than i ever have before and im stilla live and kicking.

Thread Information