Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Family Of Three + Their Dog Found Deceased In Mysterious Circumstances On Hiking Trail Near Devil's Gulch. Hazmat Scene Declared

Is the trail surrounded by or on solid rock? I know some of our arid region Nat Parks have warnings because it can get substantially hotter than the forecast air temps on walking trails that go through huge rock formations.

They absorb so much heat they're still warm to touch late at night. So if you're kms into a walk that goes on & through huge rock platforms/canyons, there's no escaping the heat until you get away from the rock

I watched the live and the cop said they had no water left. I do think it's odd they all seemed to die about the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I watched the live and the cop said they had no water left. I do think it's odd they all seemed to die about the same time...
    Yeah...I think its odd too. Especially with the guy's body in the sitting position.

Yes, the sitting position. The whole thing seems fishy

Especially since the two of them were experienced hikers, not newbies.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Just really bizarre.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    More info: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...203117284.html

At 11 p.m. — 12 hours after the babysitter came upon the empty house — the pair called the sheriff, and a search was initiated.

The family's car was found at the trailhead on the morning of Aug. 17. The Chronicle reports that the bodies of Gerrish, Miju, and Oski were located roughly 1.6 miles below "on a series of steep switchbacks of the Savage Lundy Trail."

Chung was found about an hour later at 10:30 a.m. after a deputy noticed "some disturbed dirt on the uphill side of the trail that appeared that something or someone had tried to go up the hill," per the report. The woman was found about 13 ft. higher than her family.

Investigators found various items in Chung's backpack such as a snakebite kit, a knife, bug spray, first aid kit, extra diapers, two empty sippy cups — one of which appeared to have the remnants of formula inside — and a teething wafer wrapper, The Chronicle reports.

The woman also had a 2.5-liter Osprey Hydraulics LT water bladder in her possession, which detectives said had only a "few remaining drops" of water left inside. No toxins were found in the water. A Ford key fob was also found about 100 ft. below where Gerrish was found.

Rescuers did not find evidence of foul play, per the report.

Investigators are still attempting to access a Google Pixel 4 cell phone found in the front pocket of Gerrish's shorts. Phones obtained by deputies through a search warrant on the couple's home on Aug. 17 had missed messages from the days prior.

One U.S. Forest Service volunteer told a deputy the family appeared "completely unaware of the dangers" they faced, according to The Chronicle. That individual is said to have hiked the trail more than a dozen times.

Another volunteer said he would often wait at the bottom of the trail until sunset in order to finish the hike in the shade. A Forest Service employee familiar with the trail also told investigators that locals typically "stay clear" of it in the summer, per the report.

One expert interviewed by detectives suggested the family had overheated, which caused their brains and organs to shut down. A Modesto doctor who works with extreme heat victims told investigators that individuals can die within a couple of hours of having a heatstroke.

Additionally, the family's dog — an Aussie-Akita mix — was not bred for such warm conditions. Both breeds typically sport thick fur coats.

In October, Sheriff Briese told reporters, "This is the first hyperthermia cause of death that I've witnessed here in 20 years."

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Is the trail surrounded by or on solid rock? I know some of our arid region Nat Parks have warnings because it can get substantially hotter than the forecast air temps on walking trails that go through huge rock formations.

They absorb so much heat they're still warm to touch late at night. So if you're kms into a walk that goes on & through huge rock platforms/canyons, there's no escaping the heat until you get away from the rock
    Excellent theory. I previously looked up the area they were found in, but I don't really remember (and I'm just too lazy to look again), but THAT makes perfect sense to me now. It would be like they were walking through an oven so it would kind of make sense that they all died pretty much the same time. So, so sad.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    How terribly sad.

This should be a lesson to folks. Poor planning with not enough water and bringing an infant along for the ride on top of that. It said they brought water with them and it only lasted a couple of hours. The heat must have been much higher where they were than what was reported. I can't see them doing things like rock climbing or overexerting themselves with a baby with them.

Honestly, I don't understand people who insist on still hiking during high temps. If you absolutely CAN'T live without it, at least travel to higher elevations to do it and certainly don't take a baby or dog with you. They didn't willingly sign up for that.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This should be a lesson to folks. Poor planning with not enough water and bringing an infant along for the ride on top of that. It said they brought water with them and it only lasted a couple of hours. The heat must have been much higher where they were than what was reported. I can't see them doing things like rock climbing or overexerting themselves with a baby with them.

Honestly, I don't understand people who insist on still hiking during high temps. If you absolutely CAN'T live without it, at least travel to higher elevations to do it and certainly don't take a baby or dog with you. They didn't willingly sign up for that.
    Very well said.

I don't understand why the police didn't release the facts about the text messages at the very beginning instead of having us all theorize on everything from poisonous vapors to an alien attack. What was the big secret?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I don't understand why the police didn't release the facts about the text messages at the very beginning instead of having us all theorize on everything from poisonous vapors to an alien attack. What was the big secret?
    I got the impression that they had some trouble getting the information out of the phones, or maybe the cell phone co.? But yeah it seems strange that it took so long.

"The cell phone data results were the last thing both the family and detectives were waiting on.
    I wish more people understood that when you go into the wild, you may end up on your own with no backup. That cell phone is of no use in a lot of places.
    Every year it seems like we see people who find themselves in a bad situation in the hills or the Badlands. Then they are shocked when help is nowhere to be found. A guy fell and broke himself on a hike last summer and it took his friends having to hike for several miles to get a signal... help was hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I got the impression that they had some trouble getting the information out of the phones, or maybe the cell phone co.? But yeah it seems strange that it took so long.

I wish more people understood that when you go into the wild, you may end up on your own with no backup. That cell phone is of no use in a lot of places.
    Every year it seems like we see people who find themselves in a bad situation in the hills or the Badlands. Then they are shocked when help is nowhere to be found. A guy fell and broke himself on a hike last summer and it took his friends having to hike for several miles to get a signal... help was hard to find.

We carry one of these when we are out in the wild (jetskiing, hiking, kayaking) and my husband takes one with him (at my insistence after MH370) when he flies.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html

We paid several hundred dollars for our about 6 years ago but I think they are substantially cheaper nowadays. You have to register them with the government so they know who they are looking for if the beacon goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    We carry one of these when we are out in the wild (jetskiing, hiking, kayaking) and my husband takes one with him (at my insistence after MH370) when he flies.

We paid several hundred dollars for our about 6 years ago but I think they are substantially cheaper nowadays. You have to register them with the government so they know who they are looking for if the beacon goes off.
    Good info to have!
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Do they have any devices that hikers can use to call for help in terrain that may not get cellphone signal? I'm glad to finally know what happened.

I won't judge this family. I've only ever been on one hiking trail and it was with a stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    Do they have any devices that hikers can use to call for help in terrain that may not get cellphone signal? I'm glad to finally know what happened.

I won't judge this family. I've only ever been on one hiking trail and it was with a stroller.
    Take a look at the link RBW posted. Very useful-looking devices.

I'm not really judging them for not realizing their devices might be useful, it's understandable that people who don't stray too far from civilization might not understand how remote some places are. I have a friend in Wyoming who travels a lot, has a cell phone for times when he's "in town" but if he wants to check his messages or send a text he needs to drive about 20 miles (or as he says to the end of his driveway) to get a signal. Then there's stuff like total dead zones for certain carriers. Sprint for instance has no signal anywhere around here. So, yeah.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar

I need to get one of these since I wander colorado alone frequently

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjillian View Post
    I need to get one of these since I wander colorado alone frequently
    Yes. You do!!!!

Hmpf! We should start charging them for all the time we sit here speculating.

I wish more people understood that when you go into the wild, you may end up on your own with no backup. That cell phone is of no use in a lot of places. Every year it seems like we see people who find themselves in a bad situation in the hills or the Badlands. Then they are shocked when help is nowhere to be found. A guy fell and broke himself on a hike last summer and it took his friends having to hike for several miles to get a signal... help was hard to find.
    Absolutely, we have the same problem in Scotland. There are many areas in the hills and highlands that are really remote. Until our little village had a booster installed in the church steeple a few years ago, we rarely had cell service.

And while that guy's friends were hiking to get a signal, he was waiting there vulnerable, like a zebra with a broken leg on the Serengeti.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    We must have the same fitness coach.

Good idea RBW. I like the idea of the personal locator beacon. Looks like they cost between $310-$380. Well worth it IMO.

Hmpf! We should start charging them for all the time we sit here speculating.

Absolutely, we have the same problem in Scotland. There are many areas in the hills and highlands that are really remote. Until our little village had a booster installed in the church steeple a few years ago, we rarely had cell service.

And while that guy's friends were hiking to get a signal, he was waiting there vulnerable, like a zebra with a broken leg on the Serengeti.

We must have the same fitness coach.

Good idea RBW. I like the idea of the personal locator beacon. Looks like they cost between $310-$380. Well worth it IMO.

My Husband would be proud of you right now. This is from him

My Husband would be proud of you right now. This is from him
    Who doesn't love that Crazy Little Ginger?

(Connor, not your husband, altho idunno, your hubby may be a CLG too! )

Who doesn't love that Crazy Little Ginger?

(Connor, not your husband, altho idunno, your hubby may be a CLG too! )
    Tons of people. Sometimes he rubs me the wrong way too. He's super arrogant. I'll watch him fight, but I'm not a fan of his personality. Hubby is obsessed though.

Tons of people. Sometimes he rubs me the wrong way too. He's super arrogant. I'll watch him fight, but I'm not a fan of his personality. Hubby is obsessed though.
    I'm with your husband, and I'm not even a fan of fighting. In fact, I despise it. Sure, he's arrogant (so was Ali) but that man has a huge heart. Actions speak louder than words. He does good things with his fame and fortune, I can't fault that.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 02-25-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Thread Information