Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooper Harris (22 months), left by father to die in a hot car after his father researched the time it takes for a dog to die in a hot car

"During an interview with Justin, He stated that he recently researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur," search warrants state. "Justin stated that he was fearful that this could happen."
    Are you kidding me?

I'm pretty much convinced this guy murdered his child, and went to check at lunch time to see if he was dead.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I went on Google Maps to see exactly how far it is from his office to where he finally stopped, because from the beginning when very few details were available, it didn't sit right with me that he actually drove away from work and STILL "didn't notice" Copper was in the car. Anyway, it's about a mile and a half. Keep in mind that while traffic in that area is always shitty, it's especially hellacious during rush hour. So he was in the car with that dead baby for a little bit. Ugh.

I made a map for y'all. Let's see if this works:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.kuFjMEuqfwqg

The purple pin farthest north is the Harris home.
    The green pin farthest south is Chick fil A.
    The red pin is where the day care is located.
    The yellow pin is his office.
    The blue pin is where he stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Yeah, that should have said COOPER, not Copper. Derp.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

They had breakfast, he put him in the car, and then drove a mile to work...forgetting he needed to drop the kid at daycare? I remember being exhausted with an infant, where I left my purse at a checkout line in the store. My baby is 12, but at about two, she was front-facing in the car seat because she was so long that she'd push off the seat with her feet. Wow, this is so cruel and sinister. Dumb criminal. I think wife has some involvement, too. I've read she supports him. I visualize the child in a seated position still as Dad started CPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahric13 View Post
    They had breakfast, he put him in the car, and then drove a mile to work...forgetting he needed to drop the kid at daycare? I remember being exhausted with an infant, where I left my purse at a checkout line in the store. My baby is 12, but at about two, she was front-facing in the car seat because she was so long that she'd push off the seat with her feet. Wow, this is so cruel and sinister. Dumb criminal. I think wife has some involvement, too. I've read she supports him. I visualize the child in a seated position still as Dad started CPR.
    Here's my thing about the wife ... I've mentioned on another thread that the infant daughter of a dear friend of mine was killed by the baby's daddy about 10 years ago. He claimed she wriggled away from him while he was changing her diaper, fell and hit her head. My friend totally believed him. She so totally believed him that folks started suspecting she was covering for him. She could not, would not, did not accept the truth until the authorities put the evidence in front of her and said "Listen, crazy woman, there IS NO WAY the baby's injuries were caused by a fall. He forcibly slammed her head repeatedly into something."

So, I'm definitely still giving this mom the benefit of the doubt.

Here's an article about the funeral today:

http://www.al.com/news/tuscaloosa/in...led_in_ho.html

Justin Ross Harris, father of toddler killed in hot car, calls from jail to speak at son's funeral

(June 28, 2014) Although he was in a jail 200 miles away, Justin Ross Harris played a large part in his 22-month-old son's funeral Saturday afternoon.

Harris is being held in the Cobb County Jail without bond for his role in the June 18th death of his toddler son Cooper, but using his wife's speakerphone, he was able to address the hundreds gathered at the funeral service at Tuscaloosa's University Church of Christ. He also stayed on the line and listened to words spoken by his father, his pastor and his wife.

After Harris' father-in-law led those gathered in the church in a round of applause celebrating the 22 months of life Cooper shared with his family and friends, he asked Harris to say a few words while he was on the phone.

Through the cell phone's speakers, Harris fought through tears and sobbing to apologize for not being at the funeral and to thank the friends and family in the sanctuary for supporting him and his wife in this time of tragedy.

"Thank you for everything you've done for my boy," he said, according to a CNN report. "Good life. (Inaudible) No words to say. Just horrible. (Inaudible) I'm just sorry I can't be there."

Harris' wife Leanna also took the lectern to thank their loved ones and to publicly answer the questions she said she has struggled with in the last 10 days. She said she misses her son deeply, but finds solace knowing Cooper is shielded from knowing the pain of a broken heart, from mourning the death of his own loved ones and from being exposed to the hard truths of a world that she called broken.

Leanna Harris also said she was not angry at God nor at her husband Ross, who left their son in a car seat in his SUV last Wednesday and found him dead after he finished his day at work. Citing the Book of Job, she said the Lord gives and takes away, and his name should be praised in good times and bad.

She said her husband she loved him.

"Am I angry with Ross?" CNN quoted her as saying. "Absolutely not. It has never crossed my mind. Ross is and was and will be, if we have more children, a wonderful father. Ross is a wonderful daddy and leader for our household. Cooper meant the world to him."

Prayers and a eulogy were given by David Eldridge, the pastor of the church in Marietta, Ga. that the Harris family attends.

Eldridge said anger was a natural response to the death of a child -- anger at God for allowing it to happen, anger at those who speak of the situation without understanding it, anger at a system that Eldridge called impersonal, one that kept Harris in a jail in Georgia instead of at his son's funeral in Tuscaloosa. Eldridge's message centered on the lessons of Ephesians chapter 4, in which the apostle Paul instructs Christians to not allow anger to cause them to sin.

After a closing prayer, the immediate family left the church for a private burial and the hundreds of people gathered for the service were dismissed.

The Daily Mail has a more detailed article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-vehicles.html

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Leanna Harris also said she was not angry at God nor at her husband Ross, who left their son in a car seat in his SUV last Wednesday and found him dead after he finished his day at work. Citing the Book of Job, she said the Lord gives and takes away, and his name should be praised in good times and bad.

She said her husband she loved him.

"Am I angry with Ross?" CNN quoted her as saying. "Absolutely not. It has never crossed my mind. Ross is and was and will be, if we have more children, a wonderful father. Ross is a wonderful daddy and leader for our household. Cooper meant the world to him."
    I don't know, I hate to judge how a person grieves but this seems off to me. Especially the part about them possibly having more kids. I suppose some may want to get on that right away to try to fill the void left by the lost child but days later while your husband is in jail for possibly killing the kid? I'm side-eyeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetprints View Post
    I don't know, I hate to judge how a person grieves but this seems off to me. Especially the part about them possibly having more kids. I suppose some may want to get on that right away to try to fill the void left by the lost child but days later while your husband is in jail for possibly killing the kid? I'm side-eyeing.
    Funny you should mention that, haha. When I say my friend that I mentioned above "so totally" believed her baby daddy was innocent ... Yeah, she was already pregnant by him again by the time he was charged and subsequently indicted by the grand jury.

Personally, I don't think I would be interested in having sex -- much less procreating -- during such terrible grief, but some people do like to get it on when they're grieving.

Anyway, I'm not surprised she seems weird. But I dunno.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Maybe she's already pregnant. DUN DUN DUN. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Personally, I don't think I would be interested in having sex -- much less procreating -- during such terrible grief, but some people do like to get it on when they're grieving.
    Yeah, I'm not a grief-fucker myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

I don't know...a part of me still thinks he could have honestly forgotten. I guess because I forgot my daughter in the car once. Although
    A) she was still an infant and I was a relatively new mom
    B) she was asleep and not making any noise
    C) I had only walked from the car to the door of the grocery store when I remembered.

So basically, I only forgot her for about 10 seconds. Still, it freaked me out that I could forget her at all. :( So I can see how people forget. But this kid is two, and it says the dad took him to day care every day. That seems harder to forget, in my opinion, because it is part of your daily routine. Plus, the web search is so creepy. So is the Mom saying that she wasn't mad at her husband. ??? If I did something stupid and got my daughter killed, my husband would be absolutely furious at me, and vice versa.

I don't know...the whole thing is weird and is giving me flashbacks to a CSI episode where the parents deliberately killed their son by leaving him in a hot car because they thought he had a fatal disease, only to find out later that he didn't have it. :(

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post
    I don't know...a part of me still thinks he could have honestly forgotten. I guess because I forgot my daughter in the car once. Although
    C) I had only walked from the car to the door of the grocery store when I remembered.

So basically, I only forgot her for about 10 seconds. Still, it freaked me out that I could forget her at all. :( So I can see how people forget. But this kid is two, and it says the dad took him to day care every day. That seems harder to forget, in my opinion, because it is part of your daily routine. Plus, the web search is so creepy. So is the Mom saying that she wasn't mad at her husband. ??? If I did something stupid and got my daughter killed, my husband would be absolutely furious at me, and vice versa.

I don't know...the whole thing is weird and is giving me flashbacks to a CSI episode where the parents deliberately killed their son by leaving him in a hot car because they thought he had a fatal disease, only to find out later that he didn't have it. :(
    SAME CSI EPISODE CAME UP IN MY MIND TOO!

(June 28, 2014) After his toddler son died after being left inside an SUV for seven hours, a Cobb County man told police he had researched children dying in hot vehicles, court documents released Saturday morning state.

Justin "Ross" Harris told police he feared his 22-month-old could be left inside a vehicle, according to search warrant affidavits obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. But no information about the timing of Harris' online searches was released. And the questions that many across the country have been asking -- how did this happen and why -- remain unanswered.

"During an interview with Justin, He stated that he recently researched, through the internet, child deaths inside vehicles and what temperature it needs to be for that to occur," search warrants state. "Justin stated that he was fearful that this could happen."
    Soooo many things are off about his statement:

1. He searched for how long does it take an ANIMAL to die in a hot car. I know that pretty much no living thing, dog or person, can survive in a hot car like that, but dude. If you really want to know about hot car deaths and children, search for hot car deaths and children. I feel like most (innocent, genuinely concerned) parents would feel a little uncomfortable searching "how long does it take for a child to die in a hot car," but you'd still want to know exactly what you were dealing with. Kids =/= dogs.

2. And even then, asking how long does it take...it doesn't matter! Don't leave your child alone in a hot car for ANY amount of time. Moron.

3. He takes the initiative to learn this information, supposedly to protect his child, then COMPLETELY FORGETS IT less than a week later. You research that kind of thing and it creates an awareness. You see how devastating and horrible it is, and it sticks with you. The article I just quoted doesn't give a specific time frame, but other articles have said it was just a few days before. Apparently he did the search on his computer at work.

I mean, the last part may just be me, though. When I'm here and I read about some awful tragedy involving kids, it doesn't just disappear from my mind. Couldn't forget it if I wanted to. It just makes me a little bit more vigilant about preventing something similar from happening to my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Feetprints View Post
    I know what you mean about not wanting to judge another person's grief...but I think I'll do it anyway No anger? Not even a little bit? No suspicion? Like Darin Routier, almost. And yep, the "make more kids" statement was odd. It was weird that they put him on speakerphone at the funeral, too.

I would be interested to know whether that was the only search wording he used, and which pages he visited, and how long on each one. Did he look at anything else that might actually useful in helping prevent hot car deaths? Like someone here mentioned strapping in a stuffed animal and things like that (very good idea, btw). Or did he just see a number and call it done?
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

I went on Google Maps to see exactly how far it is from his office to where he finally stopped, because from the beginning when very few details were available, it didn't sit right with me that he actually drove away from work and STILL "didn't notice" Copper was in the car. Anyway, it's about a mile and a half. Keep in mind that while traffic in that area is always shitty, it's especially hellacious during rush hour. So he was in the car with that dead baby for a little bit. Ugh.

I made a map for y'all. Let's see if this works:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.kuFjMEuqfwqg

The purple pin farthest north is the Harris home.
    The green pin farthest south is Chick fil A.
    The red pin is where the day care is located.
    The yellow pin is his office.
    The blue pin is where he stopped.
    Well color me a bit confused. I'm not at all familiar with this area, but based purely on this map - why did he go to the mall? Why did he not go back the opposite direction to the daycare to pick up his kid? If he didn't think he needed to get his kid, again - why the mall? It would seem that the more direct route back home for him would be to take major highways and not to go to a mall - yes?

It feels like this was an attempt to ensure he would be witnessed "discovering" his son publicly. Which, by the sounds of it, didn't work out in his favor.

He ate breakfast with his kid. A couple of minutes later, he is "forgetting" the kid in the car.

How do you go from eating breakfast to forgetting your kid in just a few minutes?

I want know how he parked his car at work. Was it near other cars?

I wonder if they had some life insurance on the baby

Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    Well color me a bit confused. I'm not at all familiar with this area, but based purely on this map - why did he go to the mall? Why did he not go back the opposite direction to the daycare to pick up his kid? If he didn't think he needed to get his kid, again - why the mall? It would seem that the more direct route back home for him would be to take major highways and not to go to a mall - yes?

It feels like this was an attempt to ensure he would be witnessed "discovering" his son publicly. Which, by the sounds of it, didn't work out in his favor.
    Another article above said he was meeting friends after work which is why he took the different route. But that only makes me more suspicious. If you had previous plans to meet with friends, I would think that the first thing you would think of is " Who is going to take care of the baby"?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Another article above said he was meeting friends after work which is why he took the different route. But that only makes me more suspicious. If you had previous plans to meet with friends, I would think that the first thing you would think of is " Who is going to take care of the baby"?
    My oldest is almost 18, and my youngest 12. I keep track of their where-abouts, plus when I meet friends after work...I generally check in w/husband with "going to be late, girls okay, need me to pick up anything on my way home". I'm in the camp wondering where his car was parked. When did he suddenly realize Cooper was in the car? That they had breakfast and then drove a mile to work...I can't buy that he can't remember putting the child in the car seat. Someone else had a good point with how generally the likelihood of a routine would be followed (example: showing up to daycare without the child, going to daycare to pick up the child--child gone--and maybe the other parent was to pick him/her up). The time frame has me scratching my head. That mile between breakfast and work...

Quote Originally Posted by hamdinger125 View Post

Sunny Hostin wrote an editorial the other day about leaving her baby in the car: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/opinio...ild/?c=&page=0. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    Soooo many things are off about his statement:

1. He searched for how long does it take an ANIMAL to die in a hot car. I know that pretty much no living thing, dog or person, can survive in a hot car like that, but dude. If you really want to know about hot car deaths and children, search for hot car deaths and children. I feel like most (innocent, genuinely concerned) parents would feel a little uncomfortable searching "how long does it take for a child to die in a hot car," but you'd still want to know exactly what you were dealing with. Kids =/= dogs.

2. And even then, asking how long does it take...it doesn't matter! Don't leave your child alone in a hot car for ANY amount of time. Moron.

3. He takes the initiative to learn this information, supposedly to protect his child, then COMPLETELY FORGETS IT less than a week later. You research that kind of thing and it creates an awareness. You see how devastating and horrible it is, and it sticks with you. The article I just quoted doesn't give a specific time frame, but other articles have said it was just a few days before. Apparently he did the search on his computer at work.

This.

I just don't understand why someone would do a search about leaving a child in a hot car unless they were planning to leave a child in a hot car. (And according to the latest info, he was indeed searching about children, not animals.) If someone was searching for tips on how to prevent it, that's one thing. But that's not what he admitted to.

It's not like this guy is Nanook of the North and just recently moved to a warmer climate. He's from Tuscaloosa (hot as hell), lives in Atlanta (also hot as hell) ... everybody knows it's dangerous to leave a child in a hot car for even a short period of time.

When I pull into a parking lot on a hot day, I never turn off my car until I'm ready to get out. If I need to brush my hair, send a text, whatever, and I turn off the engine first, the car becomes uncomfortable within about 2 minutes. It's that quick.

I took my son to a bday party yesterday at 11 a.m. When I opened the car door at 1:15 p.m., it was like opening an oven set on a low temp. I put my kid in his seat, cranked up the car, cranked up the AC, and stood there with the doors open until it was comfortable enough to close the doors. I often have to do the same thing before leaving the house.

This dude knew good and well that leaving a kid in a hot car for even just a few hours will cause death. I don't think he did the search to figure out how to kill his son. I think the search was some weird, twisted attempt at an alibi.

And I don't even know what to think about this:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breakin...kids-dy/ngWJW/

Warrants: Cobb toddler's mom also researched kids dying in hot cars

(June 29, 2014) The mother of the 22-month-old who died after being left inside an SUV told Cobb County police she also researched children dying in hot vehicles, according to new court documents released Sunday morning.

"Leanna Harris, the child's mother, was also questioned regarding the incident and made similar statements regarding researching in car deaths and how it occurs," search warrant affidavits obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution state.

The timing of those online searches and investigators' findings have not been released. But within about five hours of the toddler's death on June 18, his father, Justin Ross Harris, was arrested and charged with murder and cruelty to children.

Leanna Harris has not been identified as a suspect in the death of her son, Cooper. But she was also questioned in the hours after the boy's death after he was left in his carseat inside a Hyundai Tucson for at least seven hours while his father went to work. On Saturday, Leanna Harris spoke at her son's funeral.

"Ross was and is a wonderful father," Harris said to the applause of about 250 mourners, The AJC reported.

SAME CSI EPISODE CAME UP IN MY MIND TOO!
    HAHAHAH me too.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    He ate breakfast with his kid. A couple of minutes later, he is "forgetting" the kid in the car.

How do you go from eating breakfast to forgetting your kid in just a few minutes?

I want know how he parked his car at work. Was it near other cars?

I wonder if they had some life insurance on the baby
    The back windows of his car were tinted, so it would be difficult for anyone to see inside. That's the only answer I have and am wondering some of the same things you are.

Earlier in this thread, it says that Dad was going from work to meet up with friends after work. So that explains why he wasn't going near the daycare or home. I'm not sure what their typical routine entails, if Dad normally picks the kid up after work.

The thing that sticks out most to me is the short distance between the Chick-fil-a and his job. Less than a mile? That's no time at all, even in traffic. I don't know, if this guy didn't do it on purpose, he has the worst luck out there.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

(June 29, 2014) The mother of the 22-month-old who died after being left inside an SUV told Cobb County police she also researched children dying in hot vehicles, according to new court documents released Sunday morning.
    If I were a bettin' gal, I'd say that she's so brainwashed that she's only saying this to make her Husband's claim look more innocent but instead ending up implicating herself.

If I were a bettin' gal, I'd say that she's so brainwashed that she's only saying this to make her Husband's claim look more innocent but instead ending up implicating herself.
    I don't know...I'm super torn on this one. I haven't been this instantly interested in a story since Casey Anthony, and I knew that bitch did it within seconds of hearing the initial skeleton of the story. I typically have good intuition about this kind of shit, and I'm cloudy on this one. I can see a parent attempting to kill a kid in this way because people are terrible and everyone sucks. But really, they could have done this very easily without suspicion if they had planned a bit better. I know criminals are dumb, but you'd think they'd have their ducks lined up better if they were trying to intentionally pull this shit.

Additionally, I think there's something off about mom. She either knows something, or there's some sort of back story here.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

I want to know why he told everyone that he thought his baby was choking. You discover that your child has been in a hot car for 7 hours and you think CHOKING is the reasonable conclusion? Buuuuullshit. Did he not learn this when he was "researching" hot car deaths?

They had to handcuff him at the scene because he wasn't cooperating. I understand being frantic and scared, but his reaction (whatever he said/did that warranted those handcuffs) isn't typical. Blubbering and sobbing and wailing, yes, but...dunno, maybe he got a bit too theatrical? Or he just wouldn't cooperate because he didn't want to give anything incriminating.

When my bebe was in daycare, I always dropped her off and my ex-husband always picked her up. If that's the case, then I can see how he would be able to meet with his friends right after leaving work.

I would be curious as to whether police spoke with these friends to confirm that they had plans.

I also want to know what "object" he put in his car at lunchtime, why it was so important that he felt compelled to put it in the car immediately instead of waiting a few more hours until the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Karalicious View Post
    Additionally, I think there's something off about mom. She either knows something, or there's some sort of back story here.
    Well, I want to know how they both managed to look up this information but obviously didn't take anything away from it. And why would they both research it? Communication fail. The fact that they presumably would have shared this information with each other, yet he still managed to fuck it up...that right there is worth getting mad about.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

I also Wang to know if the so called friends he was meeting have concirmed his claim. I dong buy it.

I also Wang to know if the so called friends he was meeting have concirmed his claim. I dong buy it.
    Autocorrect or did you have a few? lol

Anyway...I think both parents were in on it. I also thought of that CSI episode. I am interested in hearing more details.

I can't imagine the pain this poor baby went through. :-(

Thread Information