Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Brady (17) and his cousin Haile Kifer (18) were shot as they allegedly broke into a home on Thanksgiving Day

Nicholas Brady (17) and his cousin Haile Kifer (18) were shot as they allegedly broke into a home on Thanksgiving Day

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...anksgiving_Day

Minnesota man charged with killing 2 teens

A Minnesota man was charged with murder Monday for shooting two teenage intruders to death in his home on Thanksgiving Day.

Authorities say Byron David Smith, 64, of rural Morrison County told investigators he pumped more shots into Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin, Haile Kifer, 18, after he wounded them, the Morrison County Record reported. Neighbors alerted authorities the next day.

Smith, who told authorities his home had been broken into several times previously, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder and his bail was set at $1 million, or $100,000 cash.

The criminal complaint said Smith told investigators he was in his basement when he heard footsteps outside his house, then the sound of a window breaking and footsteps in the hallway. He said he saw someone come down the steps -- it was Brady -- and shot him twice with a Mini-14 rifle. He told the officers he then shot the youth in the face. "I want[ed] him dead," Smith is quoted in the complaint as saying.

The complaint said Smith put the body on a tarp, pulled it into his workshop and sat back down in his chair. Soon after, a second person -- Kifer -- started down the stairs and he shot her, causing her to tumble down the steps. His gun jammed when he tried to shoot her again.

He told investigators she laughed at him and that's when he used a .22-caliber revolver to shoot her several times in the chest. He dragged her into the workshop and shot her once more under the chin because she was still gasping for air.

Sheriff Michel Wetzel said at a news conference Smith told officers he shot Kifer again to "put her out of her misery."

Minnesota law allows someone to use force to protect their property or themselves against bodily harm.

"The force must be reasonable," Wetzel said. "The law doesn't permit you to execute somebody once the threat is gone and there is no possible way the crime can continue."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/...#ixzz2DObPOCjz

Holy Shit!!!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

This story is all over the news right now. I do not get why they would think it was anything but murder. He waited a day to call the police because he did not want to disturb the police on a holiday. Wtf

Minnesota man says he 'fired more shots than I needed'

A Minnesota homeowner who shot two unarmed teenagers in the midst of an apparent Thanksgiving Day break-in told authorities he feared they had a weapon, but acknowledged firing "more shots than I needed to" and appeared to take pride in "a good clean finishing shot" for one teen, according to investigators.

Byron David Smith, 64, was charged Monday with two counts of second-degree murder in a criminal complaint that was chilling for the clinical way investigators said he described the shootings.

Smith told investigators he shot 18-year-old Haile Kifer several times as she descended a stairway into his basement, and his Mini 14 rifle jammed as he tried to shoot her again after she had tumbled down the steps.

Though Kifer was "already hurting," she let out a short laugh, Smith told investigators. He then pulled out his .22-caliber revolver and shot her several times in the chest, according to the complaint.

"If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again," Smith told investigators, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday.

Smith was also charged in the death of Kifer's cousin, 17-year-old Nicholas Brady.

Minnesota law allows a homeowner to use deadly force on an intruder if a reasonable person would fear they're in danger of harm, and Smith told investigators he was afraid the intruders might have a weapon. However, Smith's actions weren't justified, Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said.

"The law doesn't permit you to execute somebody once a threat is gone," he said.

Smith told investigators he was fearful after several break-ins at his remote home in Little Falls, a central Minnesota town of 8,000 people. The sheriff's office had only one report of a break-in, on Oct. 27. Smith reported losing thousands of dollars in cash, gold coins, two guns, photo equipment and jewelry.

Wetzel said that while the shootings happened on Thursday, Smith waited until Friday to report the deaths, explaining that "he didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Brady came into view from the waist down.

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

Smith said he dragged Brady's body into his basement workshop, then sat down on his chair. After a few minutes, Kifer began coming down the stairs and he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, he said.

After shooting her with both the Mini 14 and the .22-caliber revolver, he dragged her next to Brady. With her still gasping for air, he fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium," the complaint says.

"Smith described it as `a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the complaint.

The next day he asked a neighbor to recommend a good lawyer, according to the complaint. He later asked his neighbor to call the police.

A prosecutor called Smith's reaction "appalling."

"Mr. Smith intentionally killed two teenagers in his home in a manner that goes well beyond self-defense," Morrison County Attorney Brian Middendorf said after Smith appeared in court Monday morning. Bail was set at $2 million.

Defense attorney Gregory Larson declined comment.

John Lange, who described himself as Smith's best friend, said Smith shouldn't be in jail.

"You have a right to defend your home," Lange said. "He's been through hell."

But Liberty Nunn, a Little Falls resident who said she knew Nicholas Brady's older sister, said Smith could have simply shouted at them to stop. She said she hopes Smith goes to prison "for a very, very long time."

"Those are two young lives that were taken," she said. "It's just not right."

Minnesota sentencing guidelines call for a range of roughly 21 to 30 years in prison for a person convicted of a single second-degree murder count.

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune his brother had retired after a career as a security officer with the U.S. State Department.

Bruce Smith declined to talk to an Associated Press reporter Monday outside his brother's home. A makeshift barricade blocked the driveway and a board leaning against it bore the spray-painted words "Keep Out."

Brady's sister, Crystal Schaeffel, told the Star Tribune that Kifer had stolen prescription drugs from her home before. Little Falls police records show Crystal Schaeffel reported a theft Aug. 28, but the department said the report was not public because that investigation was continuing and because it named juveniles.

Schools in Little Falls, about 100 miles northwest of Minneapolis, made counselors available, though classes weren't in session Monday. In nearby Pillager, where classes were in session, a few students sought help from school counselors and local clergy members available at the school Monday morning, said Superintendent Chuck Arns.
    http://tdn.com/news/national/minn-ma...07a822b27.html

Wow - just wow...
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I wonder why she laughed.

This is totally bizarre. I wonder if he had had his house broken into several times and decided he'd be killing the next person or persons who tried it regardless of out come? It sounds like a lot of stuff was stolen.

No mention of the kids families or where they were supposed to be that day.

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiKid View Post
    I wonder why she laughed.

This is totally bizarre. I wonder if he had had his house broken into several times and decided he'd be killing the next person or persons who tried it regardless of out come? It sounds like a lot of stuff was stolen.

No mention of the kids families or where they were supposed to be that day.
    I do not think she was laughing at all. I am guessing when it all comes out he brought them into the house in some way. I feel so bad for the family of these kids.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

Quote Originally Posted by krazegirl View Post
    I do not think she was laughing at all. I am guessing when it all comes out he brought them into the house in some way. I feel so bad for the family of these kids.
    wow, why do you think he led them there? I was not getting that at all but am curious. Why would he lure them there ya think?

She had a drug issue - was probably breaking in to steal money or look for drugs. The basement angle is weird though - who keeps anything valueable in their basements? We don't have basements here in Arizona, but in Michigan, they flood often so I can't recall keeping good stuff down there. Maybe he kept his weed down there.

oh, and as for her laughing... not sure. Could be. Seems an odd detail to make up. Could have been a sound that just sounded like a laugh. Or old man is cray cray and heard whatever he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPistonsGirl View Post
    wow, why do you think he led them there? I was not getting that at all but am curious. Why would he lure them there ya think?

She had a drug issue - was probably breaking in to steal money or look for drugs. The basement angle is weird though - who keeps anything valueable in their basements? We don't have basements here in Arizona, but in Michigan, they flood often so I can't recall keeping good stuff down there. Maybe he kept his weed down there.
    Everyone has basements here. We have a lot of lakes but if you dont live by the river flooding really is not an issue. Maybe they did break in to the house but if they did why wouldnt he call the police right away? If someone breaks in and you shoot them it is pretty cut and dry of a case. If you do something weird liek not call the police you look guilty.

he didn't call the po-po because he knew it was overkill (or b/c it was a holiday and he is crazy.) I think he was pissed about the break-ins and took out his anger on these kids. He figured it was them again and he wasn't going to let them continue to break in.

But my question to you was sincere - was there soemthing that led you to think that he might have lured them there?

It is well known that you can be charged if you kill someone when trying to defend your property. This guy was clearly kill happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I wonder if they were the ones that had broken in in the past? Not that I condone killing them...

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

He sounds deluded and paranoid and evil. I seriously doubt she laughed. Maybe coughed and sputtered. He obviously thought the kids were 'mocking him'by breaking in and wanted to 'teach them a lesson' of some kind. Sick.

I just think there is more to the story and one thought was he got them there somehow.

This story is crazy. I just can't believe he would so such a thing, and think it was within his rights. Insane. There's got to be more to the story. And he's got to have a mental issue that's not being dealt with.

But I do wonder, if he kept the bodies until the next day because he didn't want to disturb the cops on Thanksgiving, why didn't anyone notice they were missing or didn't come home from where ever it was they said they were going?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

I just think there is more to the story and one thought was he got them there somehow.
    My guess is they did trespass/break in, guessing that he would be out of town for the holidays. (It's not uncommon for people to commit home robberies on a 'safe' holiday, and maybe something about his house said 'empty' to them) And meanwhile, he's an angry guy with feelings of severe inadequacy who probably has alienated his family. Bad combo.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    My guess is they did trespass/break in, guessing that he would be out of town for the holidays. (It's not uncommon for people to commit home robberies on a 'safe' holiday, and maybe something about his house said 'empty' to them) And meanwhile, he's an angry guy with feelings of severe inadequacy who probably has alienated his family. Bad combo.
    I didn't even think that they thought he was gone because of the holiday. My friend just lost her brother and her parents and another brother had their house broken into during the funeral. Cops said people look at the obits and know people will be gone.

One thing I do not get is that if he shot the guy why would the girl come down a few minutes later? She would have heard the shots.

I didn't even think that they thought he was gone because of the holiday. My friend just lost her brother and her parents and another brother had their house broken into during the funeral. Cops said people look at the obits and know people will be gone.

One thing I do not get is that if he shot the guy why would the girl come down a few minutes later? She would have heard the shots.
    Maybe she thought she could get down without being seen?

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Maybe she thought she could get down without being seen?
    With her invisible cape?

With her invisible cape?
    Well, if there is only one way out and that is down, I would try. Maybe he was being quiet and she thought he might have gone outside?

Well, if there is only one way out and that is down, I would try. Maybe he was being quiet and she thought he might have gone outside?
    I saw the house and it looks like a rambler. If you went into the basement you would not have been able to get out. The just have those little windows that are up high.

Maybe she thought her cousin had shot the homeowner? And she went to check?

But, it sounds like the kid got shot, and then the homeowner dragged him down the stairs a bit (the kid fell) after he shot him in the face. Would she not have heard this going on?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

http://kstp.com/kstpImages/repositor...mplaint(6).pdf

Here is the copy of the complaint.

So.. the neighbor was trying to find the dude a lawyer and since they couldn't they then called 911?? Sounds to me like neighbor should be an accessory.

So.. the neighbor was trying to find the dude a lawyer and since they couldn't they then called 911?? Sounds to me like neighbor should be an accessory.
    I just see the neighbor looking through the phonebook looking for someone. This is a really small town far away from the city. The police are probably going crazy with how much press it is getting.

I can imagine. Is there much being said about the history of the kids? (Or has that already been posted and I am lazy?)

Thread Information