Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Halyna Hutchins (42) Died After Alec Baldwin Discharged Prop Gun

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Halyna Hutchins (42) Died After Alec Baldwin Discharged Prop Gun

This isn't going to be good for his already tarnished image even though I'm 100% sure it wasn't his fault....

'Rust' crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin
    By Sandra Gonzalez, CNN
    Updated Oct 21, 2021
    (CNN) - A female crew member has died and another injured following an accident involving a prop firearm on the New Mexico set of the film "Rust," according to a law enforcement statement provided to CNN.
    The prop firearm was discharged by actor and producer Alec Baldwin, 68, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office.
    The female victim was identified as director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, according to investigators. She was transported to the hospital via helicopter and pronounced dead by medical personnel at University of New Mexico Hospital.
    The other victim, 48-year-old director Joel Souza, was transported to Christus St. Vincent's Regional Medical Center by ambulance for care. Details on his condition were not released.
    "According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged," a statement from authorities said. "Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged."
    Police said the incident happened Thursday at approximately 1:50 p.m. local time.
    "Rust" is a Western film set in the 1880s that stars Baldwin, Travis Fimmel and Jensen Ackles.
    Email requests for comment sent to the film's production company and a representative for Baldwin were not immediately returned.
    The Sheriff's Office said the investigation "remains open and active" and no charges have been filed.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/enter...ent/index.html

Her Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/halyna.hutchins
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Oh shit, when they said "filming a scene" I assumed the victims were actors. Why would he be pointing a weapon at a director & director of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Oh shit, when they said "filming a scene" I assumed the victims were actors. Why would he be pointing a weapon at a director & director of photography?
    Because there are shots where the gun is pointed directly at the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Because there are shots where the gun is pointed directly at the camera.
    Yeah, I figured it out after I posted & forgot to come back & say "duh" to myself. Should've been kinda obvious to me

I kind of feel bad for him, he has to live with the fact he did this (even though it wasn't his fault).

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I kind of feel bad for him, he has to live with the fact he did this (even though it wasn't his fault).
    Yeah same, also how has this now happened more than once? Like shouldn't these prop guns be inspected really well all the time?!?

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mpaign=wp_main

In the hours since actor and producer Alec Baldwin shot two people on a film set in New Mexico on Thursday, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, attention has turned to the prop firearm used while he was in character.

Baldwin was shooting a scene on the set of the western film ?Rust? when he discharged a firearm that struck Hutchins, 42, and director Joel Souza, 48. Both were rushed to area hospitals, where Hutchins was pronounced dead, officials said. ?Rust? actress Frances Fisher tweeted Friday that Souza had been released after being treated for his injury.

As firearms experts, writers and producers wondered aloud how this happened, there?s a renewed spotlight on prop guns, their history in film and TV, and why firearms are still showing up on set. While some producers insist on using prop guns with blanks to closely capture the sound and look of a real gun firing, others have been calling for them to be banished from film sets, saying that computer-generated imaging offers a safer alternative.

?There?s no reason to have guns loaded with blanks or anything on set anymore,? tweeted director Craig Zobel, whose credits include the 2020 film ?The Hunt? and HBO?s ?Mare of Easttown.? ?Should just be fully outlawed. There?s computers now.?

Juan Rios, a spokesperson for the Santa Fe County Sheriff?s Office, said detectives are investigating what type of projectile discharged from the prop gun, as well as how many firearms were on set and how they were handled. Rios said he expects the sheriff?s office will have more information early next week.

Alec Baldwin fired prop gun that killed one crew member and injured director on ?Rust? movie set, officials say

So, what is a prop gun? While it?s thought of as a nonfunctional weapon often used in theater productions, the term ?prop gun? also refers to real guns on TV and film sets that are loaded with blank cartridges, which are essentially modified bullets.

?Prop guns are guns,? tweeted TV writer David Slack, whose credits include ?Magnum P.I.? and ?Person of Interest.? ?Blanks have real gunpowder in them. They can injure or kill ? and they have. If you?re ever on a set where prop guns are treated without proper caution and safe handling, walk away.?

A regular bullet is composed of a cartridge that?s made up of a shell holding a propellant powder. When a normal gun is fired, the propellant is ignited and the bullet attached to the front of the shell is activated. In comparison, the blanks used in prop guns usually have a material such as paper, cotton or wax attached to the front of the shell instead of a metal projectile. The material is inserted to hold in the gunpowder.

?They?re supposed to be built in a way to prevent them from even being able to accept real ammunition,? tweeted Stephen Gutowski, a gun-safety instructor and firearms reporter for TheReload.com.

These prop guns with blanks are used on Hollywood sets because of the authenticity they add to filming. Firing a blank with a prop gun will produce three things that computer-generated imagery sometimes struggles to match: a recoil, a loud bang and a muzzle flash, which is the light created when the propellant powder combusts. Dave Brown, a Canada-based professional firearms instructor who has worked on films and TV shows, wrote in American Cinematographer magazine that although visual effects and CGI can help with close-range gunshots that cannot be filmed safely, firing guns with blanks makes a scene look as real as possible.

?Blanks help contribute to the authenticity of a scene in ways that cannot be achieved in any other manner,? Brown wrote in 2019. ?If the cinematographer is there to paint a story with light and framing, firearms experts are there to enhance a story with drama and excitement.?

Blanks can nonetheless still be dangerous: Even if there isn?t a bullet inside, anything near the end of the prop gun?s barrel can be a threat thanks to the muzzle flash and superheated gas expelled from it. As a result, significant, and even fatal, damage can be done when the trigger is pulled.

Directors such as Zobel have shifted to CGI instead; he noted that the gunfire featured in ?Mare of Easttown,? the crime drama starring Kate Winslet, was all digital.

?You can probably tell, but who cares?? he said. ?It?s an unnecessary risk.?

There is a history of prop-gun incidents resulting in deaths on movie sets. Jon-Erik Hexum died days after accidentally shooting himself in the head with a prop gun on the set of the CBS show ?Cover Up? in 1984. Authorities said at the time that Hexum, 27, was pretending to play Russian roulette with a .44 Magnum revolver when the gun fired a blank cartridge that killed him.

In 1993, about nine years later, Brandon Lee, the 28-year-old actor and son of actor and martial artist Bruce Lee, died on the set of the film ?The Crow? after actor Michael Massee shot him in the abdomen. The prop gun used, which was supposed to be loaded with blank and ?dummy? rounds, was somehow loaded with a .44-caliber bullet, police said. The North Carolina district attorney later said the shooting was caused by the crew?s negligence.

Bill Davis, a weapons expert who has worked on film and television productions, has emphasized on his website that the prop guns used on set ?are to be considered extremely dangerous and should never be handled by anyone other than a legitimate firearms expert.? He reiterated that warning to the BBC about Thursday?s incident involving Baldwin.

?If someone actually put a live round in there, number one that shouldn?t have been on the set,? he said. ?Number two, they should have visually inspected the gun first with a pencil down the barrel and a flashlight to make sure there?s no obstructions in the mechanism and number three, they need to inspect the round that?s going in there.?

As the news of Thursday?s shooting spread, fans and those in the film and television industry shared why incidents such as the one in New Mexico should be avoidable. Podcast host Noah Kulwin asked, ?Is it a prop gun if it shoots and kills someone? Isn?t that just a real gun?? One person shared a behind-the-scenes clip of the 2018 film ?Halloween? that showed actress Jamie Lee Curtis shooting a prop gun with a barrier protecting the camera operator from any potential tragedy.

While it remains unclear what happened on set and the investigation is still ongoing, actress and writer June Diane Raphael questioned the safety protocols involved before Baldwin fired the prop gun that killed Hutchins.

?Everyone who has witnessed the safety protocols/safety meetings/barrel checks that go into a prop gun being used in a production is screaming HOW ? did this happen,? she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjillian View Post
    Yeah same, also how has this now happened more than once? Like shouldn't these prop guns be inspected really well all the time?!?
    I was going to say...didnt this happen to Bruce Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Brandon Lee.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Brandon Lee son of Bruce.
    Also Jon-Erik Hexum.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Alec Baldwin shot neener?

I met him in a pizzeria on the Upper West Side of Manhattan once like 12 years ago. He wouldn't let me get a picture, so he probably shot these people on purpose. He's a bad egg.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Alec Baldwin shot neener?

I met him in a pizzeria on the Upper West Side of Manhattan once like 12 years ago. He wouldn't let me get a picture, so he probably shot these people on purpose. He's a bad egg.
    I never knew what neener looked like.

People already think hes a dick, this will not help his image.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Oopsie......

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints of long hours and getting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

The camera crew showed up for work as expected at 6:30 a.m. Thursday and began gathering up their gear and personal belongings to leave, one knowledgeable crew member told the Los Angeles Times.

Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the production said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe.

The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, the knowledgeable person said.

A member of the producer staff then ordered the union members to leave the set. She said if they didn’t leave, the producers would call security to remove them.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

There were two misfires on the prop gun on Saturday and one the previous week, the person said, adding “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

“The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company, " Rust Movie Productions LLC said in a statement. “Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.”

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Baldwin, the film’s star who also served as a producer on the film, was apparently rehearsing a scene outside the church of the Bonzana Creek Ranch set, according to two knowledgeable people.

The scene involved a gun fight that began in the church, and then Baldwin’s character was supposed to back out of the church, according to production notes obtained by The Times. It was the 12th day of a 21-day shoot.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set, where filming was underway for the western “Rust,” after calls to 911 at 1:50 p.m. Baldwin was starring in the movie in addition to serving as one of the producers.

No charges have been filed, but the Sheriff’s Office said that “witnesses continue to be interviewed by detectives.”

Baldwin said Friday he’s “fully cooperating with the police investigation” into the incident.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours,” Baldwin wrote Friday in a series of tweets.

Production has been halted on the low-budget movie, which began filming this month.

In an email to its members, Local 44 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, a union that represents prop masters, said the shot that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza on Thursday was “a live single round.”

“As many of us have already heard, there was an accidental weapons discharge on a production titled Rust being filmed in New Mexico,” said the North Hollywood-based local. “A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza. Both were rushed to the hospital,” the email said.

A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

Bonanza Creek Ranch has been a popular filming location for more than 60 years. The first movie to film there was “The Man From Laramie,” starring Jimmy Stewart. It also was the set for the classic “Blazing Saddles,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” and the popular TV show “Longmire.”
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...walked-off-set

Fuuuuck. I saw people on twitter referencing industrial action earlier this week but I assumed it was a general industry-wide thing. I didn't realise there were serious safety concerns specific to that set.

Now I'm annoyed with myself for feeling bad for him.

My sympathies are with Halyna & all the other union workers he's injured or fucked over

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Fuuuuck. I saw people on twitter referencing industrial action earlier this week but I assumed it was a general industry-wide thing. I didn't realise there were serious safety concerns specific to that set.

Now I'm annoyed with myself for feeling bad for him.

My sympathies are with Halyna & all the other union workers he's injured or fucked over
    Yeah, I made the same mistake and even said he was 100% not responsible. Apparently I was wrong. I'll hand over my toaster.

I still dont think hes responsible. It was a prop gun.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Since it was his movie and the gun was faulty and he insisted on still using it, he's somewhat responsible. Obviously the set wasn't safe which is why the crew walked out. Ultimately, he's responsible for that. It's the same situation as Sarah Jones.

It's a gun that was a prop, but may not have been a prop gun. What I mean is, yes it was being used as a prop. But most "prop guns" are modified so they can't be loaded with live ammo. This one was apparently functional. So, not a "prop" Anyway, someone screwed up big time and it's his movie, so he's most likely going to take a big part of the fall. As he should IMO.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/alec-b...round-warrant/

He was told the gun was a "cold gun" and safe to use. He had no idea there was live ammunition in it. Hes an actor, acting in a movie, why wouldnt he believe what the assistant director told him

He was told the gun was a "cold gun" and safe to use. He had no idea there was live ammunition in it. Hes an actor, acting in a movie, why wouldnt he believe what the assistant director told him
    But he isn't just an actor here. He's also the producer. Basically, this was a movie he was making. I'm not saying that he knew it was loaded and did it on purpose, but like Puzz mentioned, he's still going to be held responsible for running an unsafe set where mistakes like this can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    But he isn't just an actor here. He's also the producer. Basically, this was a movie he was making. I'm not saying that he knew it was loaded and did it on purpose, but like Puzz mentioned, he's still going to be held responsible for running an unsafe set where mistakes like this can happen.
    I didnt know he was a producer, but that doesnt change my mind. I still think it was a terrible accident and he feels terrible about it.

Im not sure if he is liable or not, thats for the police to decide. We dont know if he will be charged or not.

Whomever put live rounds in the prop gun is at fault here.

I'm not in the mood to argue, so I will say this and I am done until they say one way or another what they are going to do.

None of us know what they are going to do. I am not a fan anymore (used to really like him 30 years ago) but that has no bearing on how I feel.

There was no intent. He was told it was a cold gun. Producer or not, he can't oversee everything on the movie...that's why you hire other professionals and they take on the responsibility.

I'm a huge union supporter, but my guess is the replacement scabs were probably just as qualified, but with less ethics and morals. My guess is it would have happened no matter what was going on with the union. The safety accusations from before could very well back him up, because even then he was not the prop handler. If they had an issue it would have been with the props person(s), not him.

I think he will not be charged (as happened with the Lee shooting) and her estate will sue him and the insurance on the movie will pay up.

Sadly for her, life will move on and this will become another asterisk on an IMDB entry.

I feel sorry for everyone involved. I look at it like when you are coming down a residential street and not paying full attention, but following the speed limit and other laws, and a toddler, whose mom looked away to answer her phone, shoots out of the driveway into the path of your car and you kill them. It's a horrible tragedy, and EVERYONE involved will have their life change and have to live with the consequences and guilt forever, but likely no one will be charged.

So that's my $.02.

Thread Information