Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Former Texas A&M WR Thomas Johnson (21) killed Dave Stevens (53) with a sword as he jogged. Patti Stevens (54) commited suicide 2 weeks after Dave's death.

Former Texas A&M WR Thomas Johnson (21) killed Dave Stevens (53) with a sword as he jogged. Patti Stevens (54) commited suicide 2 weeks after Dave's death.

A former star football recruit whose receiving skills brought him prominence at Texas A&M while Johnny Manziel was the quarterback told police he hacked a jogger to death because things were not going his way.

Thomas Johnson, 21, had recently lost his housing and was angry with his life when he repeatedly struck the runner using a 'large-bladed knife' and lodged the weapon in the man's head on Monday.

After the early-morning attack on the popular White Rock Creek Trail in Dallas, Johnson used a cellphone to call 911 to say the victim 'was laying down with a sword in his head and not moving.'

A bicyclist identified only as Brandon told police he saw the attacker repeatedly striking the jogger in the head, an arrest warrant affidavit revealed on Tuesday, according to NBC Dallas.

The cyclist said: 'As I get closer and closer I could tell it was a machete and there are repeated blows that are occurring.

'It was apparent to me by the time I got close that there was nothing that could be done for the person.'

After calling 911, Johnson stayed at the scene and spoke with a responding officer, saying, 'I just committed capital murder' and adding that he 'just picked somebody to murder.'

The affidavit said when the officer asked him to explain, Johnson said only, 'It's like when you don't wake up.'

The suspect also said he had been 'put out of his home' but it was unclear for how long.

The male jogger, whom police have not yet identified, died at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

On Monday, Dallas police Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin said: 'It appears that Mr Johnson picked this victim at random.

'It's absolutely random. He just attacked him.

'He told our homicide detectives that he was angry about a situation and he just picked somebody to murder.

'I believe there's more to that story. It's just very unusual. It's quite shocking.'

Johnson was being held Tuesday at the Dallas County jail, charged with murder and two counts of probation violation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3oVRcDfNc

Thanks for posting. Crazy story. All because he was angry. Ugh.

Fucking hell??!! This is literally crazy.

Also, he really, really reminds me of someone but I can't think who.

Edit I can't access this article & maybe everyone in the U.S is already aware of this guy's life story, but does he have a history of mental illness?

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/co...rn-5379795.php

Edit2 & is the victim still unidentified? This was posted 4 hrs ago -

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...for-no-reason/

The victim, who was not carrying identification, died at a nearby hospital. Sherwin said he is white and between 25 and 35. Police ask that anyone with information contact them
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-13-2015 at 11:01 PM.

The article...
    What happened to Thomas Johnson? 'He shall return'

By Brent Zwerneman
    April 5, 2014 Updated: May 8, 2014 11:56pm

Johnson's mother vows he'll return to play football ? but not at A&M. / AP

DALLAS ? On the final day of February, Texas A&M's football team sprinted out to its first workout of spring drills in College Station. At the same moment almost 160 miles north, Linda Hanks quietly ran a rake through the grass of her South Dallas home and reflected on the bizarre, surreal story surrounding her son, former A&M receiver Thomas Johnson.

Johnson, one of the nation's top recruits in the class of 2012, once called Kyle Field home ? and he made quite an impression on the A&M faithful through 10 games. When the freshman reached high to pull down a phenomenal catch against Florida on Sept. 8, 2012, in A&M's first Southeastern Conference game, ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit dubbed Johnson's leap ?Perfect timing!?

Two months later, however, Johnson became best-known for perhaps the oddest time in A&M football annals. Two days after snagging three key catches in a stunning 29-24 win over top-ranked Alabama on Nov. 10 in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Johnson simply disappeared an hour before an A&M practice. His cell phone went straight to voicemail, and two days later his mother pleaded through tears in her front yard and in front of TV cameras for the safe return of her son.

For its part, A&M took the extraordinary measure of listing Johnson as missing on AggieAthletics.com, in a desperate act to track down its lost receiver. Johnson went absent in College Station on a Monday, and police reportedly found him on a street near his old high school of Dallas Skyline close to 3 a.m. Thursday.

Johnson, who apparently left College Station on his own accord, never returned to A&M.

?When Thomas disappeared ? that was shocking,? recalled one of his better friends on the A&M team, running back Tra Carson.

?I didn't know what was going on at the time, and to this day, I don't really know what happened.?

That's because Johnson went silent, even to a lot of his close friends at A&M, and hasn't been heard from publicly since ? almost a year and a half later. His mother, however, offered good news for those who've been concerned not only with whether Johnson would ever suit up again, but with his state of mind.

?He's working out, he's getting in shape, and he shall return,? Hanks vowed.

Hanks added Johnson, who turns 20 on April 18, intends to play college football again, although not at A&M. Such motherly optimism prompted a pleasant sigh from Reginald Samples, Johnson's ex-coach at Skyline.

?Everyone loved Thomas,? Samples said of Johnson's high-flying days at Skyline. ?He's a great athlete and a great young man, and I've been praying he's able to get back into college with all of the talent he has. My heart goes out to him.?

Hanks, who said Johnson lives at home with her, declined comment on why Johnson left A&M, and Johnson declined comment for this story through his mother.

?Thomas is just a very private person, but he's always been a good kid,? Hanks said. ?Respectful, accountable and bright.?

A&M, out of respect for privacy for Johnson and his family and the desire to move forward, never again addressed his departure after thanking those who helped search for him ? including law enforcement's Texas Rangers ? and to those who offered well wishes and prayers for his safe return.

As for what Johnson, rated the nation's No. 3 receiver by ESPN out of high school two years ago, is doing these days?

?He told me he wants to play ball again,? Hanks insisted, adding she was thankful to folks concerned for her son's well-being. ?Football is in his blood. It's part of his DNA.?

Hanks declined to name any potential colleges Johnson might attend, although she said his A&M days are done. In the winter of 2012, new A&M coach Kevin Sumlin coaxed Johnson into switching his verbal commitment from the rival Texas Longhorns to A&M.

?Thomas is one of the best receivers, if not the best receiver, in the state,? Sumlin said on national signing day in February 2012. ?He's fast, has good hands and is a strong guy. We can move him around ? he's an explosive player.?

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Johnson was a four-star recruit and looked every bit the part during the first 10 games of his freshman year. At the time of his leaving, Johnson had 30 catches for 339 yards only months removed from Skyline.

In Alabama's fabled Bryant-Denny Stadium, Johnson hauled in three catches for 22 yards, including when he wheeled and accelerated following a grab, causing Crimson Tide safety Robert Lester to grab for air.

Just before one of Johnson's catches on a drive that lifted A&M to a 20-0 lead over Alabama, CBS broadcaster Verne Lundquist intoned, ?Raise your hand if you saw this coming.?

Lundquist's line was applicable again two days later, when even Johnson's closest teammates were blindsided by his vanishing.

?That was a touchy time,? Carson said of the Aggies' collective mindset while an anxious search was on for a teammate. ?We were just shocked.?

The Aggies wrapped up spring drills Saturday, and had Johnson stuck around, he'd be entering his junior season perhaps as the ringleader of a wildly talented receiving corps, in one of the nation's top offenses. Should he play again, this past season likely would serve as a redshirt year, and he'd be a sophomore eligibility-wise entering this fall.

?Thomas is doing good ? he really is,? Hanks said. ?God has a plan for him.?

Regardless of his football future, the fact his mother said Johnson is simply ?doing good? should be a relief to fans who've wondered of his whereabouts since November 2012 ? and his outlook since disappearing two days after one of the most memorable games in A&M history. Speaking of history ...

?What happened at A&M? That's just something in the past,? Hanks said, pledging better times ahead for her son. ?That's all it is ? just something in the past.?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Fucking hell??!! This is literally crazy.

Also, he really, really reminds me of someone but I can't think who.

Edit I can't access this article & maybe everyone in the U.S is already aware of this guy's life story, but does he have a history of mental illness?

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/co...rn-5379795.php

Edit2 & is the victim still unidentified? This was posted 4 hrs ago -

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...for-no-reason/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow!!

Here is his FB page (he hasn't posted on it since 2012):

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.johnson.792740

And here is a post by one of his friends:

Received some disturbing news today. I saw a report that one of my childhood friends, Thomas Johnson was arrested for randomly attacking and murdering a jogger in Dallas. Now.. before you go any further.. this ISN'T a post about how "crazy" people are...nor is this a post to bash Thomas and make him out to be a terrible person.

Mental illness is a serious thing... and for some reason is such a taboo for the black community. So many of us suffer in silence... So many of us will normalize our pain. You can have all of the potential in the world.. but if you don't have proper access to the health care you need or a support system to wrap their arms around you in a time where you can't even understand yourself things can become unbearable.

The Thomas I knew used to be the class clown in middle school... and put lotion in my chair in science class... and it was so funny that I even laughed lol.. The Thomas I knew played the violin...The Thomas I knew used to comment on Kourtney Kelly's "Mustard Dubb Zero's" 😂.... The Thomas I knew was an awesome athlete and a good friend....But the Thomas I knew also had a few "issues" .... Many of us assumed it was just anger problems of some sort and would just blow it off....His great sense of humor made of for the fact that he might have had a short fuse right???
    As long as he was entertaining us in class and making us laugh.. or making plays on the field many people didn't really question what exactly was going on with him.

This young man tried his best to put up a front for the outside world.. Superstar athlete that everyone thought would be in the Pro's by now.

This man, my peer, became a statistic when he shouldn't have.

(DISCLAIMER: my heart goes out to the murder victim and his family. That could have been my mother/dad/friend running on that trail this morning... and no one deserves that level of brutality).... But what many of us have to realize is that there are two victims in this situation... and one of them happen to be Thomas...

He was living at the property where I work at a while ago (maybe 3 years ago or so??). He apparently went missing when he lived here, and the cops were looking for him. There were news van and shit looking for him when that happened years ago. He went to live with his parents because of anger issues, although everyone who dealt with him said he was a really nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

He is in the age range for schizophrenia onset. What a violent incident.

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    He is in the age range for schizophrenia onset. What a violent incident.
    exactly what i've been saying once i heard about it.
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

this was from when he first went missing back in 2013 -

Texas A&M University Police located A&M football player Thomas Johnson in Dallas on Wednesday November 14.

Johnson was last seen leaving his Reveille Ranch apartment Monday night. His roommate, Ryan Sternes, thought he was headed to football practice.

“He walked out and I was like, “alright Thomas,” and that was the last time I seen him,” said Sternes. Sternes says he’s known Johnson since they played for rival football teams in high school.

Sternes says the A&M wide receiver never made it practice.

“We tried calling him, people were looking for him, his phone was off. No one could get in touch with him. That's when people started getting worried. We just came off a big win from ‘Bama...so for him to go missing like that is uncommon,” said Sternes.

University police sent out an alert saying a Texas A&M Student was missing about 48 hours after he was last seen/

Johnson's mother spoke to the media Tuesday night.

“I'm just asking God to do that right now, to touch him in a special way where he'll want to call me,” said Linda Hanks. “If he doesn't want to, maybe somebody that has seen him, it will touch their heart to call me.”

Nicholas Obioha is one of Johnson's neighbors. He says he found out Johnson was missing on Twitter.

“A student going missing, a freshman wide receiver. I'm a big football fan and after what happened this weekend. That's the last thing you want to hear so I really got concerned about it,” said Obioha.

Hours after police announced he was missing, Johnson was found safe in the Dallas area at 2:30 AM.

No one at the Reveille Ranch apartments knows where Johnson was for two days, but that doesn't matter to Johnson's friends and neighbors.

“If he never came back to A&M, as long as I know he's ok. That's fine with me,” said Sternes

Texas A&M officials and police are not releasing additional information about the investigation due to student privacy laws.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/A...179579871.html

Patti Stevens (54), Wife of Jogger Murdered on Texas Trail, Takes Own Life, Police Say

DALLAS - Dallas police say the wife of a slain White Rock jogger took her own life over the weekend.

Patti Stevens, 54, was found dead Sunday in her home in Sunnyvale. The medical examiner has not released her official cause of death, but Dallas County Sheriff?s Office spokesman Raul Reyna said it appears to be suicide.

Stevens? husband, 53-year-old David Stevens, was randomly killed with a machete while jogging along the White Rock Creek Trail on Oct. 12.

Former Skyline High School and Texas A&M football player Thomas Johnson was arrested for the deadly attack. He allegedly called 911 and confessed ?I just committed capital murder.?

Following the arrest, Patti told the Dallas Morning News that ?Dave was the love of my life and I?m lost without him.? The couple had no children.

Dave Stevens' body went unidentified for nearly two days after the gruesome crime.

Johnson remains at the Dallas County jail on a $500,000 bail.
    Related Stories
    http://www.fox4news.com/news/39366338-story

This is so sad. The victim's widow did this interview about 6 days go......

It was a brutal and random act. Police say a mentally ill man who was once a Texas A&M football star ambushed GE engineer Dave Stevens with a machete while he was running on the White Rock Creek Trail Oct. 12. It took authorities more than a day to identify Stevens through fingerprints. Patti Stevens, his widow, talked with Dallas Morning News reporter Naomi Martin about the man she married, their hopes — and her dread on the day he disappeared. The defendant is being held in the Dallas County Jail on a murder charge.

Patti Stevens instinctively knew something was wrong when her husband didn’t return home from his engineering job.

To say Dave, 53, was predictable would be an understatement.

She knew he woke up at 5:30 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to run 10 miles around White Rock Lake. And after work, he’d come home like clockwork.

Had he been in an accident? Was he in a hospital somewhere, unconscious?

She started calling nearby police stations from her Sunnyvale house and eventually drove to one.

No answers.

So she drove to the lake and checked the parking lots she knew he used. In the third lot, she found his charcoal Toyota 4Runner SUV.

It was about midnight when Patti called 911. The operator told her to go home — it wasn’t safe for her to be out there alone in the dark.

But Patti couldn’t bring herself to leave. So the operator told her to turn on her flashing hazard lights as she waited for officers.

She learned that there had been a stabbing death there that morning. But it would be another day before Patti discovered that there was a connection to her husband’s disappearance.

After a day of agonizing phone calls to the police and a visit to the Dallas County morgue, she found that the identity of the stabbing victim had been confirmed through fingerprints.

It was Dave.

‘The love of my life’

Patti, a 54-year-old physical therapist, doesn’t want to know any details about what happened. She hasn’t read the news.

She doesn’t know the name of the alleged killer — Thomas Linze Johnson, 21 — or what he looks like.

She doesn’t know that Johnson, as a Texas A&M football star, seemed destined for the NFL but dropped out after displaying signs of mental illness. She doesn’t know that he was later diagnosed schizophrenic or that Johnson told his father he hears voices.

Or that he called 911 after Dave was killed and later told police he “just committed capital murder.” And that he’d explained capital murder was “when you don’t wake up.”

No, Patti prefers to remember her husband of 25 years for what led him to the running trail that morning: his drive to be the best version of himself.

“Dave was the love of my life and I’m lost without him,” she said through tears. “People need to know that this was a wonderful person going out and doing what he loved to do.”

Patti, some of Dave’s colleagues and his parents shared their memories while they sat inside a gleaming conference room at GE’s Plano office.

They sat at table strewn with photos of his life and wooden plaques for each of the seven U.S. patents he’d received during his 26 years in the lab.

They recalled a man who always was trying to be better. A better son. A better husband. And a better runner.

He would wake early every day, read books and watch training videos on engineering while riding a stationary bike, and work nights and weekends.

“Life is unfair, we all know that,” said coworker Abhiman Hande. “But for this to happen to him — he’s the nicest guy around. Supremely gifted. Supremely selfless. For this to happen to him, it just breaks your heart.”

To his coworkers, Dave was the guy who was doing everything right. He ate well and worked out so much that they believed he’d outlive them all. When they first heard of his death, everyone believed it must have been a car wreck.

But a murder?

The randomness has shattered their world.

“Dave was stolen from us,” said George Alameel, his supervisor of 16 years. “We were robbed of a great engineer, a great friend.”

A passion for running

Dave first started running as a child in Lansing, Mich.

He would sometimes join his mother, Marjorie Stevens, on her jogs. Marjorie, 85, said he would run faster than her but would loop back to check on her before running ahead.

Later in life, he would do the same for Patti when they ran around White Rock Lake.

Dave and Patti both went to Michigan State University. But they didn’t meet until graduation, when they each happened to sit next to the same friend.

Patti immediately liked him.

“He was just such a quiet, polite, not verbose, very humble, non-assuming kind of person,” she said.

The couple moved to Dallas in 1989. They built their dream house on a picturesque, suburban street in Sunnyvale. They never had kids.

Dave and Patti liked to keep life simple. They had flip cellphones and didn’t use social media or texting to stay connected.

When Dave began running seriously in the 1990s, he would listen to Dallas music radio stations on his headphones. That never changed.

He worked his way up to running for an hour or two, and eventually, in 1999, ran the first of 11 full marathons. He saw running as a stress reliever and a way to challenge himself. He kept the newspaper clippings from his marathon standings and always work to improve his times.

He always tried to be a good husband. When he qualified for the Boston Marathon in 2003, he worried about his wife’s fear of flying. So he made a road trip out of it and they spent three days in the car.

He refused to walk through a door without holding it for her. Sometimes, she would try to hold it for him and he’d laugh and say, “C’mon, you know the drill.”

When they celebrated Christmas with Patti’s family, men and women would team up against each other to play Trivial Pursuit. Dave would smile at her when someone guessed at an answer, because she knew he knew the correct one.

“He would never interrupt and let anybody know they were wrong,” she said.

Dave’s parents remember his thoughtful gifts. For their 50th wedding anniversary, Dave and Patti arrived with a sack. They each took out wads of bills. For each year of their marriage, Dave’s parents each got a $50 bill.

“This is for your first year of marriage, this is for your second ...” Dave told his mom and dad.

A ‘rare individual’

Family and friends say that Dave loved to learn.

“I’ve seen thousands of students in my teaching career,” said his father, Harry Stevens, 86, who taught science at Michigan State University. “Dave was one of those rare, bright students who also worked hard.”

Dave was instrumental in helping GE develop smaller and better transformers to transfer electrical energy, his bosses said.

But after working for decades as a mechanical engineer, he went to his bosses a few years ago and told them he wanted to change fields. He wanted to study electrical engineering, which would take years of study.

No one before had asked his bosses to make that switch.

“Why start at the bottom of another field?” Alameel, his supervisor, recalled thinking at the time.

But his bosses trusted that he could do it.

Dave offered to accept a lower salary since he would be less experienced.

Alameel laughed at Dave’s suggestion.

“I don’t think we have a process for that,” he recalled telling Dave.

Robert Roessler also supervised Dave. They worked together for 22 years.

“He was an extremely rare individual,” Roessler said. “He was humble yet talented, and he had this drive to be better and improve every day.”

‘Buttercream’

Patti and Dave decided their pristine, white-carpeted house in Sunnyvale wasn’t good for pets. That would have to wait.

They dreamed about what they hoped would be their next phase of life: retiring to a 30-acre farm in Montana or Oregon.

“He was going to let me get a barnyard full of animals,” Patti said.

Patti wanted two miniature donkeys.

“What are you going to name the miniatures?” Dave often would ask jokingly around the house.

She decided on “Buttercream” because they both love buttercream frosting. He joked the other one should be named “Butterbean.”

Now, Patti is trying to figure out how to go on. She had to pick out the marker for Dave’s grave on Tuesday. She hasn’t been sleeping or eating. She said she speaks slowly because her brain doesn’t feel like it works.

“Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I can sit there and think, but I can’t think too hard,” she said.

On Monday, Patti Stevens cleaned out her husband’s office.

A Dallas Morning News clipping that showed the first 600 finishers of the 2014 Dallas Marathon hung on the wall. Dave had underlined his name and place: 157th.

And in a drawer, Patti found something that made her smile. A stack of tiny calendars, five years’ worth.

Every day he ran, Dave had jotted down his total mileage, how long he ran for and how many minutes per mile in a calendar.

Patti thought he had stopped doing that years ago.

“All these years of running I didn’t know Dave was still doing this,” she said. “With Dave, just doing a better run, a faster run — to see if he could outdo himself — that’s why he did that.”

She wants to keep the calendars, which for now are on her kitchen table.

They remind her of Dave.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...of-my-life.ece

.....Then she committed suicide yesterday

Wife of slain jogger found dead in suspected suicide

DALLAS -- The widow of Dave Stevens, the jogger murdered on White Rock Trail earlier this month, has been found dead in a suspected suicide.

The Dallas County Sheriff's Office confirmed Monday morning that Patti Stevens was found dead Sunday in her Sunnyvale garage. Foul play is not suspected.

Dave Stevens, 53, was stabbed to death with a machete-like blade while jogging Oct. 12. Thomas Johnson, a former football star at Dallas Skyline High School and then Texas A&M, has been arrested and charged with murder.

After her husband's violent death, Patti asked for privacy.

"This is a horrible, senseless tragedy and we are devastated with the loss of such a wonderful man," Patti Stevens wrote in a statement released to the media. "It has created a huge hole in our hearts. As his family and friends begin to grieve, we would appreciate being given our privacy during this most difficult time."

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...cide/74627934/

Man, my heart hurts for this lady. Fuck, man.

Oh shit. This is awful on top of awful..

I hate the ripple effect of extreme tragedy.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Is is horrible. OMG.

Terrible news! 2 people have died because of someone who couldn't get the mental health help he needed.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    That poor woman. I cannot even imagine the pain she must have been going through.

Heartbreaking I can't even imagine the heartache she must have gone through. Absolutely tragic.

This is awful. Two families ruined. I wonder if his family tried to get him help. I feel so bad for everyone in this situation.

Sounds like she just couldn't live without him.
    The whole thing is just so sad.

Rip

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    This story gives me the incredible sads. Tragic from every angle.

RIP Dave and Patti. I hope that you were reunited in the afterlife.

Sorry to double post, but I wanted to post this article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...r-suicide-note

I lost any sense of journalistic detachment when Patti Stevens mentioned me in her suicide note
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-19-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I never thought this case would ever be brought to trial.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Ex...509217931.html
    I still truly have no idea how I feel about this one, but having gone back and read the ESPN article, his mom seems at least somewhat responsible. How the fuck is more religious education and discussion going to help fix someone who already thinks they are Jesus? There is a lot of blame to go around in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    I still truly have no idea how I feel about this one, but having gone back and read the ESPN article, his mom seems at least somewhat responsible. How the fuck is more religious education and discussion going to help fix someone who already thinks they are Jesus? There is a lot of blame to go around in this story.
    This case is one of the saddest cases on MDS to me for so many reasons. None of this had to happen.

Thread Information