Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shanna Vandewege (36) and her infant son were found dead in bed and an investigation is ongoing

FORT WORTH
    A man accused of slashing the necks of his wife and 3-month-old son had told a co-worker recently that he was taking a new medication that makes him hear voices telling him to kill people, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The co-worker told investigators that Craig Vandewege also once remarked that he wished he could kill his then-pregnant wife by pushing her down the stairs.

And a few days before Shanna Vandewege and their infant son, Diederik, were found dead in the family?s north Fort Worth home, he recounted a dream in which he ?sliced the heads of his wife and father like bologna,? the co-worker told Fort Worth police.

Vandewege was arrested Wednesday night by police in Glenwood Springs, Colo., for allegedly speeding and failing to show proof of insurance. Thursday afternoon, before he could bond out of jail, Fort Worth detectives obtained a capital murder warrant for Vandewege.

Vandewege?s arrest by Colorado police came after a man called 911, reporting that Vandewege had approached him outside a 7-Eleven, said he was running from the law, and asked to borrow his phone to call some people and talk about a murder.

He told the man that the government was trying to conspire against him by saying that he had killed his family.

?Craig Vandewege said he was headed to Las Vegas to see Donald Trump to work it out with him,? homicide Detective Matt Barron wrote in an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by the Star-Telegram.

Vandwege remained jailed Friday in Colorado in lieu of $1 million bail.

According to the affidavit, investigators suspect Vandewege cut the throats of his wife and 3-month-old son prior to going to work on the morning of Dec. 15, then staged the crime scene to look like a burglary. Police found evidence that someone had cleaned up blood from the sinks in the master bedroom and kitchen, the affidavit states.

Vandewege had called 911 on the night of Dec. 15 to report that he had returned from work to find his wife and son dead in the family?s home in the 8500 block of Cactus Flower Drive.

Shanna Vandewege was found in bed in the master bedroom; her son in his bassinet next to to the bed.

Craig Vandewege told dispatchers that neither his wife nor son were breathing and that there was a lot of blood around his wife?s neck and in the bassinet. He told dispatchers he had thought it unusual that the front door of the home had been unlocked when he arrived home and described the house as ?torn up? inside.

When Fort Worth police arrived, Vandewege was seated on the curb outside, his eyes slightly watering. He was not crying or acting out.

Inside the house, officers noticed that the kitchen cabinets and drawers had all been pulled open, though their contents remained neat.

Several items of value, including guns, flat-screen television, cellphones and jewelry, remained untouched in the home.

The family?s two dogs were found secured inside a room of the home.

The home?s back door was unlocked, though investigators noted pry marks on the frame that appeared to have possibly been made from both inside and outside the house.

?The door appeared to have possibly been opened when this damage occurred,? Barron wrote in the affidavit.

One of Vandewege?s attorneys, Steve Gordon, has traveled to Colorado to meet with him, according to a statement emailed from attorney Leslie Barrows. Vandewege has waived extradition and will be brought back to Texas by law enforcement officials, his attorneys said.

?Meanwhile, we have begun our own independent investigation into the deaths of Shanna and Diederik,? the statement said. ?Their funerals will take place this coming Tuesday. Now, we respectfully request that everyone interested in this matter, please allow the families time and space to privately grieve during this especially difficult time for these families also observing Christmas and Hanukkah.?

?Asleep or unconscious?

Inside the bedroom, dresser drawers were randomly opened but their contents appeared untouched. Two small fire safes ? one that opened with a key and the other a combination ? appeared to have been tossed on the floor, open with their contents partially dumped.

?The door was open indicating that someone had to have had the code,? Barron wrote. ?Due to the lack of blood leading to and from the safe it appeared to have been impossible that Shanna Vandewege could have gotten out of bed and opened the key pad style safe after having sustained such a severe wound.?

No visible defensive wounds were found on Shanna Vandewege.

?It appeared that she was either asleep or unconscious when the wound was inflicted,? Barron wrote.

Craig Vandewege told investigators that he and his wife had had dinner out together on the evening of Dec. 14, then stopped and bought a 30-pack of beer on the way home. He said the couple then played video games.

When he left for work the next morning at about 10:30 a.m., Vandewege said his wife and son were asleep. He said he kissed his wife goodbye and she woke up, telling him she loved him.

Vandewege told investigators he stopped at a bagel shop to buy coffee for his co-workers before arriving to work at 11:45 a.m. A Costco employee told police that Vandewege was 45 minutes late to work that day.

Vandewege told investigators he had texted his wife about three times between 2 and 3 p.m. but never received a response so he figured she was busy.

?Extremely unusual?

He told detectives that he bought his wife diamond earrings that day and a ladder so he could hang their wedding pictures at home.

Vandewege told police he knew of no one who would want to harm his wife or child. He later texted detectives a list of items he said were missing from the home, including his wife?s wedding ring, diamond studded earrings and a pearl necklace.

He said the couple had moved to Fort Worth so he could get a promotion in his job at Costco. He worked in the optical department.

Vandewege told investigators that money had recently been tight with the birth of his son and his wife quitting her nursing job to care for the baby. He said, however, the couple had recently sold their home in Colorado and were looking forward to the money situation improving.

He told police that because work has been stressful, he takes a daily anti-anxiety medication.

Investigators described Vandewege?s behavior as ?extremely unusual? ? from his overly calm manner when talking to dispatchers about finding his wife and son dead to sleeping and showing little emotion while at the homicide office after the discovery.

He declined to voluntarily give investigators his phone, telling investigators it was an intrusive measure, the affidavit states.

An examination of Shanna Vandewege?s phone showed no outgoing activity that would suggest she was alive after 10:30 a.m. following her husband?s departure for work, the affidavit states.
    Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

The affidavit at this link
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/affid...wife/377299653

Some stuff from the affidavit not in the article above.
    Blood was detected in the master bathroom sink when they put luminol on it.

The husband constantly complained to coworkers about his wife and her appearance.
    He was always pissed at her because she moved his personal stuff around. The only way he could tolerate her was by drinking.
    He told his coworker than she should get insurance on her jewelry and claim a fake robbery so she could get a payout.
    Graig talked about how he walked around his house racking his shotgun and how the dogs were not scared of the sound.
    The manager said Graig was a terrible employee who she had to talk to several times. (I'm actually surprised they didn't fire him)

I bet he had life insurance on the wife and kid
    Last edited by bermstalker; 12-24-2016 at 02:34 AM.

What a piece of shit this guy is. I would hope I would be smart enough to mention the comments he had made at work to someone before he had a chance to carry out his fucked up fantasies. What's wrong with people? Surely I'm not the only one who thinks its not normal to make comments about pushing your pregnant wife down stairs or slicing her head like bologna???? WTF?
    Sure, people bitch about their spouses from time to time, but not like that. Sweet Jeezus. Poor mom and baby.

Quote Originally Posted by XraymianSnoodle View Post
    What a piece of shit this guy is. I would hope I would be smart enough to mention the comments he had made at work to someone before he had a chance to carry out his fucked up fantasies. What's wrong with people? Surely I'm not the only one who thinks its not normal to make comments about pushing your pregnant wife down stairs or slicing her head like bologna???? WTF?
    Sure, people bitch about their spouses from time to time, but not like that. Sweet Jeezus. Poor mom and baby.
    I agree. Why didn't anyone contact the police or at least warn the wife he was saying these things.

I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike this asshole any more. I really really hope this dickhole doesn't try to use his anti anxiety medication as a defense.

I do not see how he could rip on her looks. He looks like a chubby wannabe hipster. If he even bitched about her gaining weight from being pregnant

If he was supporting the whole family, why would he not try to be at work on time to keep his job? I wonder if, in the past, she was the one that supported them financially. He seems like a huge man-child so I'm not surprised he take very kindly to being a father. I hope he gets the death penalty.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post

If he was supporting the whole family, why would he not try to be at work on time to keep his job? I wonder if, in the past, she was the one that supported them financially. He seems like a huge man-child so I'm not surprised he take very kindly to being a father. I hope he gets the death penalty.
    Thankfully this here's Texas and we are all for the death penalty... Glad he waited till he left Colorado. Lol
    That bring's up another thought... How jacked up is Costco if they promoted THIS guy and moved him in to fill a position?

Sounds like that sack of shit is trying to play crazy. Unfortunately for him, Texas is probably the worst place to try and pull that off.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by XraymianSnoodle View Post
    Thankfully this here's Texas and we are all for the death penalty... Glad he waited till he left Colorado. Lol
    That bring's up another thought... How jacked up is Costco if they promoted THIS guy and moved him in to fill a position?
    Quote Originally Posted by 13th Juror View Post
    Sounds like that sack of shit is trying to play crazy. Unfortunately for him, Texas is probably the worst place to try and pull that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Maybe not. God does forgives sins through His Son Jesus Christ.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9
    Such bullshit. And the problem with Christianity in general. Hell, if we're gonna be forgiven, let's just go out and treat every day like it's the fucking Purge!

Or, we could grow the fuck up, accept that reality is actually reality, and act like we have some goddamn sense without all the bullshit.

God doesn't forgive shit. We forgive our own sins in our own minds, because God is but a figment of our own imagination. How fucking convenient. We've been burdened by being told about it so many times as we've grown up that some still believe it. Any and every time you think you're "talking to God", you're doing nothing but talking to yourself, and convincing yourself of the right or wrong of a situation.

I'd like to feed this piece of shit to some hungry feral dogs and watch as he was torn apart. What he did to his wife and his child is unforgivable. There is no justification for what he has done. And there better be no coming back from where he's going, either.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...0-341d2a3349b0

Life sentence for Fort Worth man found guilty of gruesome murder of wife, infant son
    Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information