Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Thompson released dozens of exotic animals from the Muskingum County Animal Farm before committing suicide

Terry Thompson released dozens of exotic animals from the Muskingum County Animal Farm before committing suicide

The sheriff who issued a shoot-to-kill order after dozens of exotic animals - including Bengal tigers, mountain lions and bears - escaped from an Ohio farm defended his decision Wednesday, saying "we were not going to have animals running loose."

At a press conference shortly after 10 a.m., Sheriff Matt Lutz said the owner of Muskingum County Animal Farm near Zanesville, Terry Thompson, appeared to have set the animals free and then taken his own life.

Lutz warned that three animals remained on the loose: a mountain lion, a bear and a monkey. "It is still, still not a completely secure area," he said.

The sheriff told the press conference that there were conflicting reports of how many animals may have escaped: one of 48, another of 51. Most of the animals were killed, but the exact number was unclear.

Four deputies with assault rifles in a pickup truck went to the 40-acre farm after the first calls came in at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Later Tuesday, there were more than 50 law enforcement officials ? including sheriff's deputies, highway patrol officers, police officers and officers from the state Division of Wildlife ? involved in the search of the farm and surrounding area, often in heavy downpours.

Lutz said that when the deputies arrived, there was about an hour and a half of daylight left. He said officers had to shoot some animals at close range with their sidearms.

"These are 300-pound Bengal tigers that we had to put down," he said.

"I gave the order on the way here that if animals looked like they were going out, they went down ... We could not have animals running loose in this county, we were not going to have that," Lutz added.

Tiger 'went crazy'

He said that shortly before the press conference they had tried to tranquilize a "huge," "very aggressive" adult tiger, but it "just went crazy" and so officers "put it down."

Lutz added that when they first arrived on the scene, his officers did not have tranquilizers with them as they are not normally carried. He also said one large cat was hit by a vehicle on a nearby highway.

Flashing signs along area highways told motorists, "Caution exotic animals" and "Stay in vehicle."

Three school districts in the region and some private and special schools canceled classes after the news broke. The preserve in Zanesville, about 55 miles east of Columbus, also had cheetahs, wolves, giraffes, camels, orangutans and chimps. Earlier, Lutz said a caretaker told authorities the animals had been fed on Monday.

Neighbor Danielle White, whose father's property abuts the animal preserve, said she didn't see loose animals this time but did in 2006, when a lion escaped.

"It's always been a fear of mine knowing (the preserve's owner) had all those animals," she said. "I have kids. I've heard a male lion roar all night."

Animals will be 'panicking'

Tom Stalf, senior vice president of the nearby Columbus Zoo, told NBC's TODAY show that people should be careful, particularly because the animals themselves would be afraid.

"These are all adult carnivores, so when we talk about the lions and tigers as well as bears, they are all dangerous, especially that they are now out of their area, their enclosures that they were normally in, so they are panicking as well," he told the show.

"They're definitely going to not be used to where they are at, so they are going to be scared, they're panicking, trying to figure out what is going on.

They're going to be searching for a place to settle down and trying to, you know, just to calm down a little bit," Stalf added.

The Humane Society of the United States on Wednesday urged Ohio to immediately issue emergency restrictions on the sale and possession of dangerous wild animals.

"How many incidents must we catalogue before the state takes action to crack down on private ownership of dangerous exotic animals," the Humane Society's Wayne Pacelle said in a statement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44953925...me_and_courts/

I just don't get why they think shooting to kill was the best idea. Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

"These are 300-pound Bengal tigers that we had to put down," he said.

Yeah, you're a real hero, you fucking butthole. Are you kidding me???? IS THIS EVEN LEGAL??? Tigers are the most endangered species of animal in the world! There are more tigers living in captivity in America then in the wild because of fucks hunting them. I wish at least one of those animals takes this dumb hateful fucker down. You know all those guys were creaming in their jeans about the possibility of being able to "hunt down" exotic animals. I see no difference between this and a canned animal hunt (an illegal practice where exotic foreign animals are brought into the states and released so rich old fucks can enjoy the thrill kill). It revolts me. Are they saying there's no animal control in Ohio? They don't have tranquilizers? I fucking hate Americans so much sometimes. As an American.

"They're definitely going to not be used to where they are at, so they are going to be scared, they're panicking, trying to figure out what is going on.

They're going to be searching for a place to settle down and trying to, you know, just to calm down a little bit," Stalf added.

Because they've been living in captivity for years and fed by a human. Ugh, this fucking sucks.

Is there no one over there that knows how to handle animals? Zoo's do not exsist there?

This seriously ruined my whole day. Also fuck Terry Thompson although I suppose those assholes would have done the same thing to the caged animals.

Uh...would it be better to put the public in harms way? How in the hell would you expect these people to round up 50 carnivores before something bad happens to either the animals or people? One got hit by a car in the time it took them to put them down. I'm quite sure many of those men felt terrible about killing the animals. As a rule I don't like police, but I'm sure they have human feelings too. It's unfortunate what happened, but the blame belongs with the asshole that turned them lose. No one should have these kinds of wild animals in captivity besides zoos.

Quote Originally Posted by irishkat View Post
    Uh...would it be better to put the public in harms way? How in the hell would you expect these people to round up 50 carnivores before something bad happens to either the animals or people? One got hit by a car in the time it took them to put them down. I'm quite sure many of those men felt terrible about killing the animals. As a rule I don't like police, but I'm sure they have human feelings too. It's unfortunate what happened, but the blame belongs with the asshole that turned them lose. No one should have these kinds of wild animals in captivity besides zoos.
    With tranquilizers, the way most animal control hunt things in this country.

Yeah, Terry was being a dick when he let all those animals go. But I could imagine being one of these animals and suddenly the world is your playground yet its full of people and cars.I am just surprised that there is no one screaming from a Zoo that they would like to rescue these animals. It has only been kill kill kill.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    With tranquilizers, the way most animal control hunt things in this country.
    That's an enourmous quantity of tranquilizers and associated guns find on short notice. A large zoo would perhaps have 3 or 4. Perhaps some could have been tranqued, but that's a whole shitload of animals to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    Yeah, Terry was being a dick when he let all those animals go. But I could imagine being one of these animals and suddenly the world is your playground yet its full of people and cars.I am just surprised that there is no one screaming from a Zoo that they would like to rescue these animals. It has only been kill kill kill.
    More like trying to get as far away from people as possible. With no ability to know how to and also in weather totally alien to what your species is used to.

Wait till after they eat a kid, they'll be full and take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
    Wait till after they eat a kid, they'll be full and take a nap.
    Now there's an idea! I vote you in charge of wild animal round up.

Quote Originally Posted by irishkat View Post
    Now there's an idea! I vote you in charge of wild animal round up.
    He'd just flame the entire forest.

mmmm fire

How rotten that so many animals are being murdered because of blatant stupidity on the part of this Terry fellow. What was his thinking in setting them free? Was it a final fuck you to the world or did think that this would be better for their welfare? Either way, I'm sure he knew that the majority of them would get slaughtered so I'm inclined to hate on him more than the police in this situation.

That said...I keep thinking about how bad I would poop my pants if I hit a tiger with my car.

I have to say, if I saw a 300 pound cat in my yard, and felt in danger ...I'd kill it. However I can't get the vision of a Big Bellied sheriff and deputies saying " Shit son, we get to go tiger hunting!!!" I don't think it's right to kill indiscriminately, but you can't deny the fact that for a long time people have paid big bucks for a chance like this. I'm sure given the mindset of most local cops I've dealt with ... the ones here would be volunteering. The cats may hunt people... but most animals won't. Bet it was hard to get a bead on a panicking monkey.......

If I came across a wild animal in a city situation I would call the Wild Animal Reserve. Just sayin.

He did a photoshoot with Heidi Klum and baby tigers recently.

Also:

The only animals not found were a wolf and a monkey. Authorities said the monkey should be shot if caught because it could be carrying a disease.
    The owner of the privately run Muskingum County Animal Farm, Terry Thompson, left the cages open and the fences unsecured before committing suicide, Lutz said earlier.
    Authorities would not say how he killed himself, and Lutz wouldn't speculate on why he did it or why he went out with what appeared to be one last act of vengeance.
    But Thompson had had repeated run-ins with the law, and Lutz said the sheriff's office had received numerous complaints since 2004 about animals escaping from the property. Thompson had gotten out of federal prison just last month after serving a year for possessing unregistered guns.
    "This is a bad situation," the sheriff said earlier. "It's been a situation for a long time."
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

This is about 45 minutes from me. We had all kinds of warnings "just in case" some of them made their way this direction. I am incredibly sad that these animals had to be killed. Can't imagine how it'd feel being face to face with a lion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey31702 View Post
    This is about 45 minutes from me. We had all kinds of warnings "just in case" some of them made their way this direction. I am incredibly sad that these animals had to be killed. Can't imagine how it'd feel being face to face with a lion though!
    STAY INSIDE.

And call Wild Animal Rescue.

The thing is that even wild cats aren't going to come bounding over to you. If you spot one, it's not going to be hanging by the pool or whatever.

It just kind of amazes me that no other plan besides 'git 'em, boys' was tossed out there. Ordering people to shoot and kill a monkey on site? What the fuck is the monkey going to do with you, jump on your back and pick your nits? Hurl its poop?

In all fairness to the women that have had their faces ripped off by pet monkey's.. there is that.

Regardless, there were other options, it seems they just don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    In all fairness to the women that have had their faces ripped off by pet monkey's.. there is that.

Regardless, there were other options, it seems they just don't give a fuck.
    That was not a monkey. That was a orangutan. Which is like saying 'well, shoot that goldfish, people have been attacked by sharks before!'

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    That was not a monkey. That was a orangutan. Which is like saying 'well, shoot that goldfish, people have been attacked by sharks before!'
    It was?!

Those are not cute at all.

Thread Information