Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kristin Smart missing May 25, 1996

Kristin Smart missing May 25, 1996

EducationStudent at California Polytechnic State University, Parents Stan and Denise Smart

Kristin Denise Smart (born February 20, 1977, legally presumed dead 2002) is a missing person. She went missing at 2 a.m. on May 25, 1996 while attending California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo and has not been heard from since.

Kristin's disappearance

The night Kristin disappeared, she had attended a birthday party of a fellow student, which fell on Memorial Day weekend. At approximately 2 a.m., she was found passed out on the lawn of the next door house by two students, Cheryl Anderson and Tim Davis, who were leaving the party. They decided to assist her home and walked her part of the way until another student who was at the party, Paul Flores, joined their group. Paul's dormitory was closer to Kristin's, whereas Cheryl and Tim lived off campus in the opposite direction, so Paul offered to walk her the remainder of the way, allowing them to more conveniently go their separate ways. Paul walked Kristin as far as his dormitory, Santa Lucia Hall, and claims he left her to walk the rest of the way to her dormitory, Muir Hall, by herself (even though Muir Hall is closer in distance than Santa Lucia, and even then the dorms are approximately 50 yards apart). This was the last known sighting of her. She did not have any money or credit cards at the time she went missing.

Theories about Kristin's disappearance

The campus police originally suspected that Kristin had gone on an unannounced vacation, as was common among students over the holidays. It was because of this that the campus police were slow at reporting her as a missing person to local law enforcement.
    Paul Flores, the person Kristin was last seen with, came under suspicion and investigation by police after her disappearance. Kristin's parents also suspect his involvement. He was originally questioned by the police at length, but since 1997 has pleaded the fifth amendment. Shortly after Kristin's disappearance, Flores' dorm room was searched by dogs specially trained to detect human remains, and the dogs independently paid particular attention to his mattress and waste bucket, although no physical evidence was recovered. Flores' house was searched twice but no evidence was recovered either. Although Flores remains a suspect, there is no conclusive evidence that he was involved in Smart's disappearance.
    During the high profile Laci Peterson murder investigation, it came to investigators' attention that Peterson's husband Scott Peterson-- since convicted for the murder of Laci-- went to California Polytechnic State University at the same time Kristin went there. There was a brief initial inquiry into whether Peterson had any involvement. Peterson was on a list of individuals whom investigators felt warranted closer investigation at the time; however, after some investigation, nothing suggested that Kristin and Scott ever came into contact, and he was ruled out as a suspect. Peterson has publicly denied any involvement in the case.
    Kristin's disappearance remains essentially an unsolved case however, and no firmly proven explanation for her disappearance exists.

Kristin's legacy/case and leads today

Kristin's disappearance resulted in the Kristin Smart Campus Security Act being passed by the California State Legislature and signed into effect by then Governor of California Pete Wilson. The law required all colleges and educational institutions campus security to report all cases where there is a possibility that violence may have been used against a student of the institution to the local police force including all missing person's cases.
    Kristin Smart was declared legally dead in May 2002, 6 years after her disappearance.
    Kristin's parents, Denise and Stan Smart, took a civil case of wrongful death against Paul Flores in 2005, but dropped it after Flores pleaded the fifth amendment.

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office still reviews her case monthly. The FBI have her on file as a high priority missing person investigation, with a reward of $75,000 for information leading to finding her or resolving her case.
    A local businessman who is a friend of the Smart family, Terry Black, has recently offered a $100,000 reward for Kristin's body in this case.

In 2005, Paul Flores's mother Susan Flores and her boyfriend Mike McConville filed a lawsuit claiming loss of employment, harassment and emotional distress against Kristin Smart's parents and a family friend who operates a website tracking Flores.
    Within days of Kristen's disappearance, Susan Flores had concrete poured in the back yard of her home located at 529 East Branch Street, Arroyo Grande, Ca.

In June 2000, a search warrant was executed and Ground Penetrating Radar was used. The radar showed some indications under the concrete but the concrete was not dug up.

In 2007, 11 years after the disappearance of Kirstin Smart, Susan Flores' backyard was dug up but showed up inconclusive.

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9367

Re: Kristin Smart missing May 25, 1996

I saw this case profiled on a lot shows like Unsolved Mysteries, Dateline etc back in the late 90's. I do hope the Smart family gets closure.

Re: Kristin Smart missing May 25, 1996

a couple times a year i find myself going back to kristin's website, www.sonofsusan.com.  paul flores is guilty...Guilty...GUILTY.

Their daughter has been missing for more than 15 years, and is presumed dead, but the Smarts of Stockton are encouraged that a positive outcome is coming in their case.

Kristin Smart disappeared at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo as her freshman year was finishing up. The last person to be seen with her, a fellow student, was identified as a person of interest. However, no arrest was ever made and Smart has never been found.

PHOTOS: Kristin Smart

With potential evidence being re-examined by a Caifornia Department of Justice lab in Southern California, Denise and Stan Smart hope that changes soon.

"Cautiously optimistic, because we've been up and down so many times. We are very happy with the sheriff right now and the line of communication is open. That itself gives us hope," said Denise Smart.

Part of their optimism comes from increased communication with San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson, who made it a priority to have the case get a closer look.

"What they said to us is we need one piece of evidence that Kristin was in that room (Cal Poly dorm room), and we can move forward," said Denise.

"I guess my approach on this was: Let's start over. Let's treat this as if we just went to the crime scene. From every single item collected in this case, we have a number of potential leads," said Parkinson.

Denise Smart said even if the new lab work doesn't reveal the evidence necessary to produce an arrest, she's hoping someone who knows something will soon talk.

"These kids were 18 at the time, and now they're 33. They may have children, they may understand the loss we've endured and maybe at this point, they come forward," said Denise.

The Kristin Smart case did lead to one positive change. Publicly funded institutions in California are now required to report potentially serious campus crimes to local police departments. Campus police at Cal Poly were criticized for not treating the Smart case as a possible crime, and potential evidence was lost when school officials allowed student dorms to be cleaned.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/1...sly-optimistic

INTERVIEW: Sheriff discusses Kristin Smart case

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson discusses the Kristin Smart missing person case.
    http://www.news10.net/video/12474131...tin-Smart-case

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    bump for new information:

http://www.keyt.com/news/slo-county-...-case/41537164

SAN LUIS OBPISO, Calif. -

The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department says there has been a new development in the Kristin Smart disappearance case.

An ongoing investigation led authorities back to the Cal Poly Campus where the Sheriff's Office, with assistance from the FBI, have started an excavation process on a hillside area of the campus for evidence in the Smart case.

Kristin Smart was last seen alive at the Cal Poly campus 20 years ago. Over the past several years, the Sheriff's Office has assigned more personnel to the case and developed more leads, said SLO County Sheriff Ian Parkinson in a Tuesday afternoon live press conference.

"The leads led us to this location at Cal Poly. We brought in human remains detection dogs from the FBI in Quantico, Virginia," said Sheriff Parkinson.

The Sheriff said it has also brought in the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to minimize the impact of the environment during the excavation process.

Investigators will remain on scene for approximately four days. During those days, they plan on digging about three feet into the ground, and about 90 feet out from the site location.

Sheriff Parkinson said there are other locations of interest but declined to comment further due to the nature of this active investigation.

KCOY 12 will have a live report this evening on Central Coast News at 5 p.m. 6 p.m. and a full report at 11 p.m.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Wow. God I hope they find her.

Cliffnotes of the press conference by SLOSO

At 2PM today, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office along with the FBI – Federal Bureau of Investigation the San Luis Obispo County District Attorney and California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) held a press conference on Campus regarding the ongoing Kristin Smart investigation.

The key updates:

•Today, a joint-agency excavation operation begins on the hillside under the Cal Poly "P".

•The purpose of this excavation is to determine if Kristin Smart's remains are buried in this area.

•Over the last 2 years, a new lead was developed that "strongly suggested" her remains may be in this area.

•In January, the FBI brought in 3 dogs, specially trained in decomposing human remains detection, and they independently alerted on locations of interest.

•A team of approximately 40 people has now been brought in to excavate the areas identified on campus during this upcoming week, before a more serious impact to Cal Poly schooling would occur.

•Other areas have been identified in the County that will also be excavated and searched, however those are NOT being identified.

•Kristin Smart's family has been in contact with the Sheriff and is supportive of this new development.

•The SLO Sheriffs Dept has spent thousands of man hours and thousands of dollars working this case over the last 20 years, including SLO District Attorney Dan Dow now assigning a fulltime Deputy DA to this case.

Kristin Smart went missing early one morning after leaving a party in May of 1996. She has not been heard from since

good timeline of events for those not familiar with the case:

http://californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

Other links
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp..._Kristin_Smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2mTKtMl00 (True Crime with Aprhrodite Jones- Girl, Gone- full ep)
    Last edited by PunkerDuckie; 09-07-2016 at 11:41 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    They say that they had 3 different cadaver dogs hitting on the same spot independently. If she isn't there, someone is. I'm hoping for closure for her family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I really hope her parents finally have some answers, as I cannot imagine the nightmare they have been going through all these years. I always side-eyed Flores.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Inside sources are claiming that the remains found are most likely animals. It's not confirmed, but there's whispers.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Inside sources are claiming that the remains found are most likely animals. It's not confirmed, but there's whispers.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    Damn, I was hoping for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ce=DDAfternoon

Is Kristin Smart Buried in This Backyard? Neighbors and a Wonder Dog Say Yes
    The fuq? He must know someone high up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

federal agents who suggested she find a spokesperson and that they might want to get away for awhile.
    That's some of the weirdest shit I've heard since the last Delphi news conference. Wonder if Mom is making this up just to fuck with Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by jlawrence View Post
    That's some of the weirdest shit I've heard since the last Delphi news conference. Wonder if Mom is making this up just to fuck with Paul?
    It is rather odd. I just hope it's really some kind of break in the case. Fingers crossed.

OK, after binge listening to that ENTIRE podcast, I will withdraw my previous statement. But it's still ultra strange. Guess we wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by jlawrence View Post
    OK, after binge listening to that ENTIRE podcast, I will withdraw my previous statement. But it's still ultra strange. Guess we wait and see.
    What in the podcast made you change your mind?

So is her mother going off the deep end, or trying to make something happen in the case?
    Well, shit. I called it and then talked myself out of it. Who knows what's going on at this point. She could just be trolling the killer, his parents,or the element of law enforcement trying to cover it up.

Do they really think they will find anything in the trucks after all this time??? I guess it's possible, but seems like a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Do they really think they will find anything in the trucks after all this time??? I guess it's possible, but seems like a long shot.
    I have to admit, I was shocked that vans from 1996 were still running and hadn't been crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga View Post
    I have to admit, I was shocked that vans from 1996 were still running and hadn't been crushed.
    I had my 1993 car until this fall. It still ran. Granted, I only kept it because it was sentimental as it was our first new car, but it was driveable. I donated it to charity a few months ago.

I hope they find something in the trucks!

I'd wager that Paul will now either disappear himself or walk off of a bridge.

OMG, finally!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1830903.html

Two men arrested in Kristin Smart missing person case

Police have arrested two men in connection to the disappearance of Kristin Smart, a California woman who’s been missing since 1996.

Ms Smart’s family told CNN that the two men in custody are Paul Flores, the prime suspect, and his father, Ruben Flores.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    OMG, finally!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1830903.html

Two men arrested in Kristin Smart missing person case
    Wow! Now only if they will admit where her body is...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information