Thread: On day they won state title, crash kills three family members of Sabetha High football players

On day they won state title, crash kills three family members of Sabetha High football players

Hours after the Sabetha High School football team won a state title Saturday in Hutchinson, a two-vehicle crash on US-75 highway north of Holton claimed the lives of the mother, sister and uncle of Sabetha High players Tanner Ukele and Carson Ukele while seriously injuring their father.

The head-on collision about 8:05 p.m. involved the minivan the players? mother was driving and a sport utility vehicle driven by a Nebraska woman, who was trying to pass another vehicle on the two-lane highway, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol accident report published online.

The report said three people ? the Nebraska woman, a Missouri man who was her passenger and the players? father, who was in the minivan ? suffered disabling injuries and were taken to the University of Kansas Medical Center at Kansas City, Kan.

The report identified those killed as Carmen K. Ukele, 42, Marlee G. Ukele, 11, and Stephen M. Ukele, 62, all of Sabetha. The three were the mother, sister and uncle of Tanner and Carson Ukele.

Another passenger in the minivan ? the boys? father and Carmen Ukele?s husband,. Lee F. Ukele, 59, of Sabetha ? was airlifted by Life Star helicopter ambulance to the University of Kansas Medical Center at Kansas City, Kan., according to the accident report. Lee Ukele was in stable condition Sunday after undergoing surgeries overnight.

The other driver ? Maria D. Perez-Marquez, 48, of Omaha, Neb. ? and her passenger, Rosalao G. Perez, 29, of St. Joseph, Mo., were also taken by Life Star to KU Medical Center, the report said.

The highway patrol was investigating circumstances of the crash, which came the day Sabetha High School won the Class 3A state football championship at Hutchinson by defeating Marysville, 7-6.

Tanner Ukele, a senior, was starting left guard and Carson Ukele, a sophomore, the starting right tackle for the Sabetha team. The Bluejays sealed Saturday?s victory, their first state title since 1997, by intercepting a pass at their goal line in the final minute.

The crash occurred about one-half mile north of US-75?s intersection with 318th Road in northern Jackson County as Carmen Ukele drove a 2008 Town & Country minivan that had Stephen, Marlee and Lee Ukele as passengers, the accident report said. The crash site was about 12 miles north of Holton.

The report indicated the crash occurred as Perez-Marquez drove a 2008 Equinox SUV southbound on US-75 while Carmen Ukele drove the minivan northbound.

After Perez-Marquez attempted to pass another southbound vehicle, she and Carmen Ukele tried to avoid colliding by both swerving to the east shoulder, where they struck head-on, the report said. Both vehicles came to rest on the shoulder.

Authorities closed US-75 between K-20 highway on the north and K-9 on the south for nearly eight hours after the crash. It reopened at 4:02 a.m. Sunday, a highway patrol dispatcher said.

Carmen Ukele, who had graduated in 1993 from Bern High School at Bern in Nemaha County, indicated on her Facebook page that she loved being a stay-at-home mom and raising her three children.

?I consider myself outgoing and love to have fun,? she wrote. ?When all my children are in school, I may go back to teaching because I love doing that too. I believe that life is too short so we should live it to the fullest.?

Carmen Ukele, Marlee Ukele, Stephen Ukele and Perez were all wearing seat belts, the accident report said. It indicated authorities weren?t clear about whether Perez-Marquez or Lee Ukele were wearing seat belts.

Popkess Mortuary at Sabetha was expected to be in charge of funeral arrangements.

Carmen Ukele Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/carmen.ukel...9%3A1511751392

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    How sad.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Heartbreaking. If you look on her profile picture you'll see tons of comments wishing the boys luck at the game and how amazing it was that they'll be playing together at a State Championship. That poor family
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vbcoacher View Post
    The head-on collision about 8:05 p.m. involved the minivan the players' mother was driving and a sport utility vehicle driven by a Nebraska woman, who was trying to pass another vehicle on the two-lane highway, according to a Kansas Highway Patrol accident report published online.
    You. Fucking. Piece. Of. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I don't care how slow someone in front of me is going, I will never pass someone, ever. Those poor boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    I don't care how slow someone in front of me is going, I will never pass someone, ever. Those poor boys.
    So... if someone was going 25 in a 45 in front of you, you wouldn't pass them even if there were no cars coming and the lines were dashed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    So... if someone was going 25 in a 45 in front of you, you wouldn't pass them even if there were no cars coming and the lines were dashed?
    No, passing is fucking retarded, my mom and I drove to Florida, on the back roads, and I didn't pass anyone. I'm a nervous driver anyway, no way in hell I'm about to pass someone. Sorry if you think I'm lying.
    Why?

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Oh, that was even during a tropical storm, and a tornado.

So, thanks for playing.
    Why?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Music View Post
    No, passing is fucking retarded, my mom and I drove to Florida, on the back roads, and I didn't pass anyone. I'm a nervous driver anyway, no way in hell I'm about to pass someone. Sorry if you think I'm lying.
    Wow... I pass people all of the time. I make sure that the way is clear. I've never thought about it being retarded... Which is kind of crass.

I live in a place where I am regularly driving on long stretches of fairly straight roads for ten miles at a time that always has a ton of construction trucks heading out to new developments. The trucks regularly drive 20 miles less than the limit. I pass them constantly otherwise, if I get suck behind one when I hit the the mountain, I am driving literally 5 miles per hour and riding the breaks through the next 7 miles of winding roads. It's the difference between a 50 minute commute and a 1.5 hour commute twicea day.

Maybe I'm an asshole for valuing the time and maintenance on my car, but who cares. I do hate people who pass when you are going the speed limit or higher though. There's no reason for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I apologize for calling it retarded. I get why people do it. I've never done it and the thought of it scares the hell out of me. So, no thanks.
    Why?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I live in a place where I am regularly driving on long stretches of fairly straight roads for ten miles at a time that always has a ton of construction trucks heading out to new developments. The trucks regularly drive 20 miles less than the limit. I pass them constantly otherwise, if I get suck behind one when I hit the the mountain, I am driving literally 5 miles per hour and riding the breaks through the next 7 miles of winding roads. It's the difference between a 50 minute commute and a 1.5 hour commute twicea day.

Maybe I'm an asshole for valuing the time and maintenance on my car, but who cares. I do hate people who pass when you are going the speed limit or higher though. There's no reason for that.
    I agree, if I'm going 63 on a 55, don't pass me like I'm going slow.

Thread Information