Thread: Fun Time Breastfeeding Pic on Time Magazine Stirs Debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by okac View Post
    The only person who ever spanked me was my father. This, among other things taught me that he was an abusive asshole.
    My mother never spanked me and I was a great kid, very respectful. When parenting is done correctly and consistently you dont need to be harming your child to 'show them'.

Also I dont care how long someone breast feeds, it may weird me out but thats only because I'm not exposed to it.

And one more, I think its fucked up that anyone would tell someone to cover up their feeding baby. If youre so disgusted watching a baby eat then put a damn blanket over your own face. Covering should be the moms decision.
    Ditto to the abuse statement. Sorry, WTBB. Popping your kid in the mouth is fucked up and abusive. The point of spanking as discipline is that it's supposed to be a light, harmless swat that alarms a child and makes them associate something dangerous they're doing with pain. When you punch and smack your kids out of frustration, they know it. And that isn't a good track to put them on as far as teaching anger resolution.

I was a well behaved child because I loved my mom and didn't want to disappoint her, not because I was afraid of her.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ditto to the abuse statement. Sorry, WTBB. Popping your kid in the mouth is fucked up and abusive. The point of spanking as discipline is that it's supposed to be a light, harmless swat that alarms a child and makes them associate something dangerous they're doing with pain. When you punch and smack your kids out of frustration, they know it. And that isn't a good track to put them on as far as teaching anger resolution.

I was a well behaved child because I loved my mom and didn't want to disappoint her, not because I was afraid of her.
    I hope this is how my daughter views our relationship

As for the article, I fully support BFing--extended, for two weeks, whatever. Pictures like this are taken for shock value. To me, if you're so comfortable with what you're doing you don't have to make an outrageous, over the top statement. You live what you believe and you shouldn't feel the need to explain yourself to others. Some mothers choose to keep BF'ing beyond the standard 2 year recommendation. Cool. No "look at me" magazine cover needed.

Thread Information