Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 13-year-old shot & killed by deputy

13-year-old shot & killed by deputy

SANTA ROSA, Calif. ?Several hundred people have gathered in a courthouse square to protest the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old boy by a California sheriff's deputy.

The protesters, many of them middle and high school students, assembled Tuesday in downtown Santa Rosa. They carried signs and wore hooded sweatshirts with photos of Andy Lopez.

Lopez was shot by a Sonoma County deputy last week after authorities say the deputy mistook a pellet gun Lopez was carrying for an assault rifle.

The shooting is being investigated by the FBI, police and prosecutors.

The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa says county offices are set to close early, as the protesters march from a square to a junior college and then to the Sheriff's Department.

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/protesters-...#ixzz2j8tr8B4d

So, he "mistook" him for holding a shotgun and just shot him???

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post

Yeah something tells me there is more to the story

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Wait....thinking this is a gun sounds fishy to you?

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Wait....thinking this is a gun sounds fishy to you?

right? i would love to hate on the police for shooting someone who they thought had a gun and actually did have a gun, but i can't. shit looks real and scary to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I'm guessing the kid got shot not for "holding" the gun but pointing it at the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    I'm guessing the kid got shot not for "holding" the gun but pointing it at the officer.
    Yea, isn't this what taxes are for?

Well if he was pointing it at them I could understand. The article doesn't state that, it's obviously an article more written about the protesting than what actually happened to this kid. Will have to go find a different one.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Erick Gelhaus Identified As Cop Who Killed Teenager Andy Lopez

The Huffington Post | By Sebastian Murdock Posted: 10/29/2013 11:52 am EDT | Updated: 10/29/2013 12:24 pm EDT

The Sonoma County sheriff's deputy who gunned down a 13-year-old California boy over a toy gun has been identified.

The Sheriff's office confirmed Sunday to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat that Deputy Erick Gelhaus, 48, fired the shots.

Gelhaus, a 24-year veteran of the office, is also an Iraq War veteran, firearms instructor and contributing writer to gun publications.

On Oct. 22, Gelhaus shot and killed 13-year-old Andy Lopez of Santa Rosa, firing seven rounds into the teen.

The officer, accompanied by an officer-in-training, thought the teen was armed and radioed for backup. He ordered the boy to drop what he presumed to be a weapon. The object turned out to be a pellet gun, a toy in the shape of an AK-47.

Ten seconds later, Gelhaus allegedly opened fire when he saw Lopez -- his back to the deputies -- begin to turn around with the barrel of the toy gun rising. The officer-in-training did not fire, according to authorities.

In a 2008 article written by Gelhaus for S.W.A.T. Magazine, the officer warned against hesitation in deciding to use a firearm lethally.

"Today is the day you may need to kill someone in order to go home," he wrote. "If you cannot turn on the 'mean gene' for yourself, who will? If you find yourself in an ambush, in the kill zone, you need to turn on that mean gene."

His writings ranged from advice on how to hold and operate firearms to what to do in potentially life-threatening situations.

"Taking some kind of action -- any kind of action -- is critical," he wrote. "If you shut down (physically, psychologically, or both) and stay in the kill zone, bad things will happen to you. You must take some kind of action."

Gelhaus was previously in the Army and National Guard for six years, according to his LinkedIn profile. He has also been a firearms instructor for over a decade at Gunsite Academy, an Arizona-based company that teaches gun-handling, marksmanship, and law enforcement to "free citizens of the U.S."

SFGate reported that in 1995, Gelhaus shot himself in the leg with his service handgun while holstering the firearm to frisk a teen for weapons. Officials said up until last Tuesday's shooting of Lopez, Gelhaus had never shot at a suspect before.

On Sunday, more than 1,000 people showed up to a service for the slain teen. On Tuesday, a march to the sheriff's office in protest of officer Gelhaus is expected to take place, according to the Associated Press.

Spokesman Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Duenas said the sheriff's office has received multiple threats against Gelhaus, and that steps will be taken to protect him if necessary.

As an investigation into the incident continues with both the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office and the FBI, District Attorney Jill Ravitch is urging the public to be patient.

"In order for the process to succeed, I ask that we be given the time needed for a deliberate, step-by-step investigation to occur," Ravitch said. "I know we all seek the truth about what occurred on Oct. 22, and there is no one more committed to determining the facts than me."

Gelhaus and the officer-in-training have been placed on administrative leave.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4173593.html

10 secs??

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=9302840

this is what the witnesses are saying
    Last edited by Harlette; 10-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.

so sad.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    BB and pellet guns do not require orange safety tips, whereas airsoft guns do. Both are considered "replica" guns, meaning they are alike in almost every way except for the ability to fire actual bullets. On close inspection however, it is easy to determine whether a gun is "real" or not. Just look at the barrel. Airsoft/bb guns have very narrow barrels with small diameters for tiny plastic projectiles. An AK47, not so much. And this guy better not be contributing to any further firearms publications without first saying

"Guys, I totes fucked up and shot a kid who had a pellet gun. He's dead. I'm no gun expert, obviously."

But that's just me. He fucked up huge, now a kid is dead. Now a kid doesn't get to come home cuz some dumbass damn near emptied his clip into a teenager for no good reason.

Asshole.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    BB and pellet guns do not require orange safety tips, whereas airsoft guns do. Both are considered "replica" guns, meaning they are alike in almost every way except for the ability to fire actual bullets. On close inspection however, it is easy to determine whether a gun is "real" or not. Just look at the barrel. Airsoft/bb guns have very narrow barrels with small diameters for tiny plastic projectiles. An AK47, not so much. And this guy better not be contributing to any further firearms publications without first saying

"Guys, I totes fucked up and shot a kid who had a pellet gun. He's dead. I'm no gun expert, obviously."

But that's just me. He fucked up huge, now a kid is dead. Now a kid doesn't get to come home cuz some dumbass damn near emptied his clip into a teenager for no good reason.

Asshole.
    Yea, I dunno about no good reason. But even toy guns are illegal here. Shooting armed people is what these guys are supposed to do. What if this kid was about to shoot up his school?

Yea, not too sympathetic on this one, sorry.

Parody ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlette View Post
    10 secs??

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=9302840

this is what the witnesses are saying

This is a comment under Harlette's linked article, does anyone know what they're referring to? Were the same officers present at both incidents, or just the same depts?
    Irene Campos ? 4 hours ago UnionSchmunion −

I dont respect "officers" who walk around with a bad a** attitude profiling and thinking they have special rights because of some badge (this is not to say all officers are this way). Your argument isnt even valid here. There was no 911 call saying "help theres a boy with an ak/gun" or a victim in harms way. If I call 911 its because im in DANGER and NEED help. They didnt give the kid a chance(yes it was careless of the kid to walk around with that) still doesnt jusity his poor judgment. They sure gave the RICH man a chance that was ACTUALLY shooting at people and took him custody without one bullet in his body on the other side of town in an upscale neighborhood a few weeks ago...give me a break. Get real...this officer messed up, his partner didnt.
    This kid was my son's age. 13yr olds seem like "teenagers" - until you have one. Then they're just a slightly bigger 11yr old. They still get all day-dreamy & so deep into their imagination that the real world falls away & they don't hear instructions, even when their name's called - & his wasn't.

Poor kid, poor family, friends - everyone. If any kid in his school/town trusted the police before this, they won't after. This will have ripple on effects for decades.

13? This is so horrible. I hope he didn't have time to feel scared.

Pro Tip: Don't bring a pellet gun to a gun fight.

What was the kid doing running around with what looked to be a real AK-47? Yeah, NOW we know it was a pellet rifle but in the 10 short seconds when those cops approached him with it,THEY didn't know it was a pellet gun.

Why was he running around with even a toy gun at the age of 13? Really? And without supervision? Would you let your KIDS run around with a rifle that looks like ones used in MASS shootings??

Wait, I forgot this was MDS.

What was the kid doing running around with what looked to be a real AK-47? Yeah, NOW we know it was a pellet rifle but in the 10 short seconds when those cops approached him with it,THEY didn't know it was a pellet gun.

Why was he running around with even a toy gun at the age of 13? Really? And without supervision? Would you let your KIDS run around with a rifle that looks like ones used in MASS shootings??

I was just about to ask that. What was he doing with the pellet gun in the first place? I'm sure he wasn't in his backyard shooting at old soda cans. This is one of those things where it's hard for me to be on one side, because I can see points with both. Regardless, a 13 year old is dead and that is just really sad. And I'm hoping this officer is feeling bad that he took a kid's life, even if he felt he made the right choice at this time.

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down on this one.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    I'm pickin up what you're puttin down on this one.
    Hey, if Ron is siding with the cops, anyone else should provably take another look at the case.

When cops shoot someone holding a wallet, call me up, I'll go to any vigils/sit-ins/rallies, but if they're holding a gun, the most I'll do is shrug.

I could totally see some gun nuts crying "but it wasn't even loaded!"
    After someone gets shot while holding a real gun!

Hey, if Ron is siding with the cops, anyone else should provably take another look at the case.

When cops shoot someone holding a wallet, call me up, I'll go to any vigils/sit-ins/rallies, but if they're holding a gun, the most I'll do is shrug.

I could totally see some gun nuts crying "but it wasn't even loaded!"
    After someone gets shot while holding a real gun!
    while i see where you're coming from, it doesn't make this case any less sad. i imagine the guy who shot this kid probably feels like a huge bag of broken assholes (is that what gutsy used to say?) and if he doesn't, well, he's a heartless pos. a young kid is dead and probably didn't have any idea that he looked threatening to a cop with a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    while i see where you're coming from, it doesn't make this case any less sad. i imagine the guy who shot this kid probably feels like a huge bag of broken assholes (is that what gutsy used to say?) and if he doesn't, well, he's a heartless pos. a young kid is dead and probably didn't have any idea that he looked threatening to a cop with a real gun.
    Then his parents raised a damn fool.

Then his parents raised a damn fool.
    We're living in a world where teenagers shoot up elementary schools, and kids kill their teachers with box cutters.

A cop sees a teenager with what looks like an assault rifle and shoots him, and somehow it's his fault for not knowing the gun was fake and the kid was no threat? Nah.

It's unfortunate that the kid is dead, but I'm not screaming "Kid killer!" at the cop.
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

We're living in a world where teenagers shoot up elementary schools, and kids kill their teachers with box cutters.

A cop sees a teenager with what looks like an assault rifle and shoots him, and somehow it's his fault for not knowing the gun was fake and the kid was no threat? Nah.

It's unfortunate that the kid is dead, but I'm not screaming "Kid killer!" at the cop.
    Seriously. And if you're a teenager that doesn't understand some folks consider a gun a threat, you're an idiot. Maybe his parents didn't realize they had an idiot when they bought it but I doubt that.

Remember when we talked about blaming the victim? This moron got himself killed.

Seriously. And if you're a teenager that doesn't understand some folks consider a gun a threat, you're an idiot. Maybe his parents didn't realize they had an idiot when they bought it but I doubt that.

Remember when we talked about blaming the victim? This moron got himself killed.
    I don't categorize most police-related casualities with criminal robberies. Police (for the most part) follow protocol. Criminals do whatever the fuck they want.

And when a cop tells you to put your weapon down, and you don't, I'm not really lining up to call you a victim - next to the person who's getting robbed.

I don't categorize most police-related casualities with criminal robberies. Police (for the most part) follow protocol. Criminals do whatever the fuck they want.

And when a cop tells you to put your weapon down, and you don't, I'm not really lining up to call you a victim - next to the person who's getting robbed.
    But not everyone the cops shoot is a criminal.

I'm still waiting for some member to come in and give us their "I had pellet guns since I was 3 and we used to point them at the sheriff for fun and no one ever got shot" story.

Thread Information