Thread: Nicholas Wieme (23) fell down a smokestack at the top of the Intercontinental Hotel

Nicholas Wieme (23) fell down a smokestack at the top of the Intercontinental Hotel

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...ack_of_a_hotel

By Lauren Petty and Michelle Relerford, NBC Chicago

A man died Thursday morning after falling 22 feet down a smokestack at the top of the Intercontinental Hotel on Chicago's Michigan Avenue.

The man, identified as 23-year-old Nicholas Wieme of Chicago, was pronounced dead from injuries sustained in the fall.

Firefighters said it appears the man went onto the roof of the hotel on the 500 block of Michigan Avenue to take photos. He apparently climbed a ladder along a smokestack to the top and was up there when he fell into the chimney around 1 a.m.

The man became wedged in an elbow of the shaft, very close to the drop to the basement. After the fall, he was able to either text or call his girlfriend for help.
    Advertise | AdChoices

"We had to cut a hole in the duct work and then slide him down the duct work," said Chief Michael Fox, chief of special operations for the Chicago Fire Department. "It turned very precarious because two feet after we made the hole was a drop that would have went 42 floors to the basement."

Thirty firefighter companies were called and more than 100 firefighters assisted in the rescue.

"We had to send crews from the top down on ropes to access his condition meanwhile monitoring the situation for toxic gases," Fox said.

Firefighters said for a short time the man was able to speak with them before he lost consciousness. "We figured he lost consciousness because he wasn't communicating with us anymore," Fox said.

Firefighters rescued the man and rushed him in critical condition to Northwestern Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The hotel issued a statement after the incident, noting it "holds the safety, comfort and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the guest at this difficult time. The hotel staff will continue to cooperate fully with authorities in their investigation."
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...mokestack?lite
    Last edited by Olivia; 12-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/nick.wieme

I don't even know what to say about this. Here is his website Rooftop Comedy.
    http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/comics/NickWieme

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Oh wow, I had a friend post about his sympathies for the Wieme family earlier today. He's into the comedy scene in Chicago so I'm guessing they were pals. How awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

seth Rogan died??????

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

I wonder if it's going to be another case of positional asphyxiation.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    I wonder if it's going to be another case of positional asphyxiation.
    I read an article last night that said he was burned. The boiler was on and the chimney was hot.

I found the article I read about the burns

He apparently climbed a ladder along a smokestack to the top when he fell into the extremely hot shaft, resulting in severe burns throughout his body.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-rescue.html

Oh man, that sucks because he was alive and communicating with first responders at first.

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Oh man, that sucks because he was alive and communicating with first responders at first.
    He fell at about 1am and was concious. The emergency services say he was responsive until about 3:15am when they think he lost conciousness. They mentioned monitoring for toxic gases in the chimney so I wondered if it was a combination of things. The fall, the burns, positional asphyxiation like you suggested, toxic gases, etc. Such a stupid thing to do.

Also, as someone terrified of heights, this picture makes me feel sick

I hope fumes got him and he didn't have to suffer. I'm sure he did for a bit. One of my biggest fears is being burned alive (doesn't help that I'm a fire fighter). A ding dong decision leads to a senseless death.

Immediately after the rescue, fire officials said Wieme was able to communicate with them before losing consciousness, at which point he stopped talking.

I hope he was in shock or something and didn't feel that much (is that even possible?). Sounds awfully painful.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post

Also, as someone terrified of heights, this picture makes me feel sick
    Me too. It's beyond me why anyone would willingly climb that in the middle of the night.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

1am - 3:15am seems like a hell of a long time to be concious, stuck in a hot chimney. I'm scared of heights and being trapped. This sounds like my worst nightmare.

RIP Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post

I hope he was in shock or something and didn't feel that much (is that even possible?). Sounds awfully painful.
    It is possible to be in shock and not feel anything. You know when people are in car accidents and they get out walking and say they are fine and then a few minutes later collapse? (runonsentence) It is adrenaline. When something happens like that we spew adrenaline. It can last for seconds/minutes/hours. You know when you get scared? Like, someone sees you coming around the corner and you are all non suspecting, someone jumps out and your heart starts pounding? That's the adrenaline.
    /true story and run on sentences

It is possible to be in shock and not feel anything. You know when people are in car accidents and they get out walking and say they are fine and then a few minutes later collapse? (runonsentence) It is adrenaline. When something happens like that we spew adrenaline. It can last for seconds/minutes/hours. You know when you get scared? Like, someone sees you coming around the corner and you are all non suspecting, someone jumps out and your heart starts pounding? That's the adrenaline.
    /true story and run on sentences
    I just can't imagine him communicating with his gf and the firemen while in that much pain, unless by communicating they mean screaming in agony.

Thanks for the explanation. Is it true that adrenaline can make you do impossible things, like lift cars or something? Or did I watch to much tv?
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_much View Post
    I just can't imagine him communicating with his gf and the firemen while in that much pain, unless by communicating they mean screaming in agony.

Thanks for the explanation. Is it true that adrenaline can make you do impossible things, like lift cars or something? Or did I watch to much tv?
    Yeah, we don't know what kind of communication it was. It could have been screaming. But, adrenaline can cause us to seem perfectly fine. Like when you fall and don't want to look dumb so you hop up and say, "I'm fine. I'm fine, " but really your ass hurts sooooo bad. So he could have been like 'yeah, I'm cool, get me the hell outta here it's freaking hot!'
    And yes, adrenaline can let us lift cars. It happens in the movies, but it can happen in real life, too. Adrenaline does all kinds of crazy stuff to our bodies.

this makes me think of a story that has haunted me for a good chunk of my life. it happened when i was a kid. a semi went off the road and flew down an embankment. the driver was pinned inside the cab, bearing the weight of the truck and that pressure, or whatever, was the only thing that was keeping him alive. and he was alive for a good chunk of time, hours? he was supposedly pretty calm through it all. they were able to connect him to his wife and they said their goodbyes. he was a goner when they were finally able to pull the trailer off the cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

Quote Originally Posted by whackjob View Post
    this makes me think of a story that has haunted me for a good chunk of my life. it happened when i was a kid. a semi went off the road and flew down an embankment. the driver was pinned inside the cab, bearing the weight of the truck and that pressure, or whatever, was the only thing that was keeping him alive. and he was alive for a good chunk of time, hours? he was supposedly pretty calm through it all. they were able to connect him to his wife and they said their goodbyes. he was a goner when they were finally able to pull the trailer off the cab.
    Oh gosh. I've heard of this happening so many times. It has happened in my surrounding community, but I have not been on the call. The similar calls I have been on, the person is already deceased when we arrive. It's terrible, but I think I prefer the calls I've been on. That has to be some major PTSD for the first responders.

Thread Information