Page 74 of 79 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1960

Thread: Bad Cops. BAD! BAD!

https://www.kgun9.com/news/region-ph...facebook-posts

The Phoenix Police Department plans to review hundreds of social media posts from officers, after criticism from criminal justice watchdogs.

The Plain View Project looked at thousands of Facebook posts, some dating back a decade, from officers in Phoenix and several other cities.

The project’s director, Emily Baker-White found posts that seemed racially biased, misogynistic, Islamophobic, or appeared to promote officer aggression and vigilante justice.

She flagged posts or comments from about 75 Phoenix officers, and she said such messages can erode the public’s confidence in fair treatment from law enforcement.

In a time with increased scrutiny about police use-of-force, Baker-White said her findings raise questions about subculture in some departments. “I want departments to increase accountability, but also try to look at their cultures within their department and see what they can do to stop these toxic feedback loops,” Baker-White said.

Phoenix police officials said they'll look at all the posts red-flagged by The Plain View Project to determine if any misconduct exists within their ranks.

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams issued the following statement Monday night:

I became aware of the entire website today which alleges misconduct by current and former Phoenix Police officers. The language and terminology used in the posts are embarrassing and disturbing. They completely contradict how the Phoenix Police Department should speak about the members of our community or others. Nor are these posts in keeping with our mission and values as city of Phoenix employees. I have high expectations for the men and women who work with me. When potential misconduct is brought to my attention, it is immediately addressed. I have asked our Professional Standards Bureau to look further into this matter.

In an interview Tuesday, Williams went on to say, "The posts were comments that clearly promote hate. It doesn't promote the mission of the police department, it is anti-sexist, anti-racist and anti-religious."

"That's not who we are. We just completed implicit bias training. The City of Phoenix Police Department is not a place of hate, we're just committed to getting to the truth."

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement Tuesday she was "embarrassed and disappointed" to read the comments made by Phoenix officers.

"There is no context in which these statements are acceptable," Gallego said. "This city has absolutely no place for hate. Our Police Chief is actively pursuing a thorough investigation. While these officers are in no way representative of our city’s entire police force, or for that matter, our city, the choice by these officers to promote hate speech is a black cloud over all of us."

Phoenix city council member Sal DiCiccio defended the officers, suggesting applying the same scrutiny to any grouping of 3,000 people would produce similar results.

"[A]nti-police groups are surprised when the cops they call racists, Nazis, pigs, and murderers resent it? Get real. They still respond to every call and do their best to help, regardless of how the caller feels about them," DiCiccio said. "[T]o smear our entire department for the words - not actions, words - of a handful of officers is, at best, disingenuous, and is truly insulting to the literally thousands of men and women who put their lives on the line for us every single day and do so with honor."

A union representing police officers is calling The Plain View Project “sensationalism.”

“People -- including cops -- say things they regret or that are unfortunate,” said Phoenix Law Enforcement Association President Britt London in a statement. “To judge an entire police department by a few social media posts is doing a grave disservice to the nearly 3,000 sworn officers who work the front lines in Phoenix every day.”

London added officers use social media to better connect and better understand our city, and nearly all of the officers' posts are positive.

Retired Phoenix Police Officer Mark Spencer is one of the officers flagged by Project Plain View. His posts question Islamic terrorism. He shared articles talking about the number of terror attacks by Islamic terrorists.

When asked if he considered himself "anti-Muslim," he said, "Absolutely not. I know what I post and I know what I'm about. I am pro-person, I am anti-crime, and I am pro-rights."

Spencer questioned the intent of the Plain View Project. "The purpose of this project is to create outrage, not to solve problems. It's to stir the pot," said Spencer.

He added that taking any post out of context could paint someone in a bad light.

ABC15 reviewed posts by his former colleagues with Spencer and asked him what he thought about some of the posts that took jabs at everything and everyone from migrants, to Muslims, the gay and transsexual community, police protesters, and Democrats.

He called it a very delicate balance between an officer's first amendment rights versus professionalism. He also stated officers who work a very dangerous job sometimes use dark humor to entertain themselves.

"Everyone needs to know, once it's there it is there forever. A dark sense of humor is one thing, offensiveness is another, just balance it out. They do have a right to their opinion, but the department also has a right to policy," said Spencer.

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/local...uy/1333929001/

A York City police officer who’s named in a lawsuit that alleges he used excessive force apparently bragged on social media several years earlier about punching a man, according to a new database of Facebook posts and comments from law enforcement in the United States.

The Plain View Project examined posts and comments from current and retired police officers from York; Philadelphia; Dallas; St. Louis; Phoenix; Twin Falls, Idaho; Denison, Texas; and Lake County, Florida.

Researchers included posts that they believe could erode trust and confidence in law enforcement. They range from memes that state "Death To Islam" to pictures of the logo and skull from the Marvel Comics character “The Punisher,” who uses violence to fight crime.

In a post, York City Police Officer Galen Detweiler reportedly wrote on May 22, 2014: “Bucket list: Punch a guy so hard he poops himself....” The status update included a check mark at the end.

When a person commented about seeing the rest of his bucket list, Detweiler apparently replied, “It’s more of a work in progress list. When epic things happen in my life I add them to the list...”

READ: Woman punched by cop in viral video files lawsuit against police officers, City of York “The York City Police Department has a social media policy which prohibits speech that negatively impacts the York City Police Department and the citizens of the City of York while still respecting officers’ First Amendment rights,” Public Information Officer Derek Hartman said in a statement. “The City is internally investigating the posts published by the Plain View Project and will take disciplinary action if any is warranted.”

Detweiler previously worked for the Baltimore Police Department from 2012 to 2017, according to a video of his swearing-in ceremony.

He wasn’t the only York City police officer included in the database, but their posts were not as overt. For example, one posted a picture with Toby Keith, the country music artist. The post included a line — "We'll put a boot in your ass / It's the American way" — from the song “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American).”

Leticia Chavez-Freed, Penn’s attorney, said in a statement that posts will be used against police officers in lawsuits.

“I think it is shameful that these are the officers charged with serving and protecting the community," Chavez-Freed said.

In a Facebook message, Detweiler wrote that he’s never heard of the Plain View Project. He said he did not authorize the York Daily Record/Sunday News “to use my comments, words, or likeness in any news article that you may produce.”

Detweiler did not answer specific questions, including whether he wrote the post. He then apparently changed his privacy settings, so a reporter could no longer see information on his profile.

Emily Baker-White, executive director of the Plain View Project, said researchers wanted to look at jurisdictions of various sizes and places that represented different pieces of America.

The York City Police Department was included in the database. Police officers at other departments in York County were not examined.

“We could have chosen other communities,” she said. “We just took a snapshot.”

Right now, Baker-White said there’s no plan to expand the database to include other departments. But she said she wouldn’t rule anything out.

ALSO OF INTEREST: Man arrested in viral Facebook video drops lawsuit against police officers, City of York

In Philadelphia, law enforcement referred to minorities as animals, cheered vigilante justice and shared pictures that were anti-Islam.

Police Commissioner Richard Ross said he was "very troubled" by the report, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. District Attorney Larry Krasner told WHYY that the posts could get police officers barred from testifying at trial.

In a statement, Kyle King, a spokesman for the York County District Attorney’s Office, said it takes the conduct of police officers both on-duty and off-duty seriously.

Said King: “It’s important that we have an opportunity to do our due diligence and review the website’s content in its entirety before rushing to make any additional statements.”

Contact Dylan Segelbaum at 717-771-2102.

https://fox13now.com/2019/06/04/utah...ation-on-duty/

SANDY, Utah -- The agency that certifies and disciplines police officers is drafting new disciplinary guidelines for cops who engage in "sexting" and masturbate while on-duty.

At its quarterly meeting on Tuesday, the Utah Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council was briefed on proposed discipline on the issue, which falls under sexual misconduct. POST Executive Director Scott Stephenson said there have been issues that need to be addressed where officers have engaged in inappropriate communications with confidential informants, colleagues and others.

"I don't think taxpayers would like the fact that their officers -- some, very few -- would be taking time when they should be enforcing the laws or protecting and sending inappropriate messages," Stephenson told FOX 13.

When Stephenson brought up the issue of an officer who "pleasures themselves out sight, on duty in their car" it brought a round of nervous laughter from the POST Council.

Stephenson said it was unfortunate, but POST currently has no rules against it so they are drafting some. The sexting rule is expected to also address emojis and whether those could be considered inappropriate. The disciplinary guidelines will be considered at POST Council's next meeting in September.

POST Council disciplined eight police officers on Tuesday for various misconduct. They included:

Retired Murray police officer Luis Argueta was given a two year suspension for assault. POST said Argueta punched a teenage boy as he tried to render aid. Argueta's attorney said he was being kicked by the boy, who was high on a drug and it was self-defense. Argueta was convicted at trial, but his attorney said it was under appeal.
    Former Iron Co. Sheriff's Deputy Jacob Mayne was given a three year suspension for sexual conduct while on duty. POST accused him of groping co-workers and sending a sexually explicit photo. The sheriff's office said Mayne had been terminated last year.
    Former Utah Dept. of Corrections employee Samuel Thomas had his certification revoked for reckless endangerment. POST said he and another officer drove a golf cart toward an inmate at the Utah State Prison in jest, but failed to stop it soon enough. The inmate was struck. POST said Thomas entered a plea in abeyance.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...511113282.html

A San Francisco Bay Area college student used a Snapchat filter to pretend he was an underage girl online and take down a San Mateo police officer allegedly looking to hook up on Tinder.

Ethan, 20, told police he had a female friend who had been molested as a child and went online to create an undercover profile to identify possible pedophiles.

The student, who did not provide his last name because he fears retaliation, used Snapchat's gender-switch filter to take a picture of himself and posed as a woman named "Esther" on Tinder.

One man messaged him.

Robert Davies
    Photo credit: San Jose PD

"I believe he messaged me, 'Are you down to have some fun tonight?' and I decided to take advantage of it," Ethan said.

He then texted the man on a different app that he was 16 years old and asked if that would bother him. Police said screengrabs of the conversation show it did not bother the suspect.

"We started texting on there, and it got a lot more explicit," Ethan said.

VIDEOPacifica Woman Saves Neighbor's Vacation With Long Delivery
    The person on the other line, investigators said, was Robert Davies, a San Mateo police officer. He was arrested last week by San Jose police on suspicion of discussing sexual activity with a minor on social media.

Davies also was recently recognized for his police leadership.

Ethan said Davies and him exchanged messages for over 12 hours. He sent screengrabs of their conversations to Crime Stoppers.

Ethan, a South Bay college student, used Snapchat's "gender switch" filter to pose as a teen girl and take down a San Mateo police officer allegedly looking to hook up.
    Photo credit: NBC Bay Area

"I was just looking to get someone," Ethan said. "He just happened to be a cop."

Davies has been placed on paid administrative leave, according to the San Mateo Police Department. San Mateo police Chief Susan Manheimer released a statement about the arrest last week:

"This alleged conduct, if true, is in no way a reflection of all that we stand for as a Department, and is an affront to the tenets of our department and our profession as a whole. As San Mateo police officers, we have sworn an oath to serve and protect our communities. I can assure you that we remain steadfast to this commitment to serving our community with “Professionalism, Integrity, and Excellence."

1 Injured in Santa Cruz Mountains Shooting; Suspect at Large
    Davies faces a charge of contacting a minor to commit a felony, police said.

Anyone with information about the incident or any similar incidents should contact Detective Michael O'Grady at 408-537-1397. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call the Crime Stoppers Tip Line, 408-947-STOP (7867).

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/vigila...-predator-cop/

An online vigilante used Snapchat’s face-swap filter to trick predators looking for underage girls — snaring a California cop, according to police.

Male student Ethan, 20, told NBC that he used the filter to pretend he was actually a 16-year-old girl whom he called “Esther” on Tinder.

San Mateo cop Robert Davies, 40, allegedly started messaging and looking for sex — even after the fake “girl” told him she was only 16, according to police in neighboring San Jose.

“I believe he messaged me, ‘Are you down to have some fun tonight?’ — and I decided to take advantage of it,” Ethan, who did not give a surname for fear of retaliation, told NBC.

“We started texting on there, and it got a lot more explicit,” Ethan said of at least 12 hours’ worth of chats on Tinder, Kik and Snapchat.

Ethan said he deliberately got enough info for police to track him — and even switched to airplane mode to prevent the man from getting automatic alerts when screenshots were taken.

San Jose cops say those screenshots show Davies “chatted about engaging in sexual activity,” leading to his arrest last Thursday following search warrants on his home and electronic devices.

The officer was booked into Santa Clara County Jail on charges of contacting a minor to commit a felony and put on paid administrative leave.

“This alleged conduct, if true, is in no way a reflection of all that we stand for as a Department, and is an affront to the tenets of our department and our profession as a whole,” his boss, San Mateo Police Chief Susan Manheimer, said in a statement.

Ethan, who said he was motivated by a female friend who told him she had been molested as a girl, insists his vigilante days are behind him.

“I was just looking to get someone. He just happened to be a cop,” he told NBC.

LO-freaking-L. "What is it you Americans say about shoes and feet?"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coll...215800249.html

College student uses Snapchat filter to appear as an underage girl, leading to officer's arrest
    Yahoo Lifestyle Hope Schreiber,Yahoo Lifestyle Tue, Jun 11 5:58 PM EDT
    Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email
    A college student was able to take down a police officer, who was allegedly attempting to meet with an underage girl, after using Snapchat's "gender switch" filter.

Ethan, a 20-year-old San Francisco Bay Area student, posed as a 16-year-old girl named Esther on Tinder after using Snapchat's filter to give him the appearance of a female. In a conversation with NBC, he said he was inspired to take things into his own hands when a close friend revealed she had been molested as a child.

San Mateo police officer, Robert Davies, took the bait.

"I was just looking to get someone," Ethan said. "He just happened to be a cop."

Ethan told the station: "I believe he messaged me, 'Are you down to have some fun tonight?' and I decided to take advantage of it."

https://www.kcra.com/article/deputy-...e-say/28019487

A Sacramento Area Police Officer is under investigation for raping a teen boy

FOLSOM, Calif. (KCRA) —
    A Sacramento County sheriff’s deputy was arrested Thursday in connection with having sex with a teenager, the Folsom Police Department said.

Shauna Bishop, 44, of Citrus Heights, turned herself in after investigators obtained an arrest warrant for her, police said.

Advertisement
    The investigation into Bishop began in early May after police got reports of her having sexual contact with a minor, police said.

Shauna Bishop
    Sacramento County Sheriff's Office
    Shauna Bishop
    “After a thorough investigation, detectives found evidence that Bishop had intercourse with a 16-year-old victim,” police said in a news release.

Investigators said Bishop did not meet the teenager through her job and the alleged acts did not happen while she was on duty. Investigators do not believe there were other victims.

Bishop was booked into Sacramento County Jail on charges of unlawful intercourse with a minor, oral copulation with a minor and molesting a child, police said.

Follow this story to get instant e-mail alerts from KCRA on the latest developments and related topics.

https://ktla.com/2019/06/13/sacramen...-year-old-boy/

A Sacramento County sheriff’s deputy has been arrested for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old boy.

Authorities say 44-year-old Shauna Bishop of Citrus Heights turned herself into Folsom police on Thursday. She was booked and later released.

An investigation began in May and authorities had obtained an arrest warrant. Bishop could face charges of child molestation and unlawful sex.

It’s unclear whether she has an attorney.

Bishop is a five-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Office. She’s been on paid leave since the investigation began.

Authorities say Bishop didn’t meet the teen through her work and the alleged sexual acts occurred while she was off-duty.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...a-fbcc1acd2784

Man who was held at gunpoint by off-duty Stockton officer plans to sue department
    The announcement will be made Wednesday, with help from the People's Alliance for Justice and Rev. Shane Harris.
    Author: Marie Estrada
    Published: 11:41 AM PDT June 12, 2019
    Updated: 11:59 PM PDT June 12, 2019
    STOCKTON, Calif. — Nearly three weeks after an unarmed black man was held at gunpoint by an off-duty Stockton Police Officer, the People's Alliance For Justice announced that he plans to hire an attorney and take the Stockton Police Department to civil court.

A video of the May 25 incident shows off-duty Officer Kevin Hachler standing over James Weaver with his gun drawn, while Weaver asks "You tried to run me off the road and pull a gun out on me, and you're a cop?"

Considering the court case in his future, Weaver had little to say to the media on Wednesday. But he did say that the situation was twice as terrifying because he had children in his car.

James Weaver - Stockton off-duty officer
    Nearly three weeks after an unarmed James Weaver was held at gunpoint by an off-duty Stockton Police Officer, the People's Alliance For Justice announced that he plans to hire an attorney and take the Stockton Police Department to civil court.
    ABC10
    While the 26-year-old was on the ground with a gun pointed at him, three children — ages 1, 3 and 12 were in his car with his friend Preston Johnson.

"We got off to walk to our destination and I didn't know this guy, he was wearing normal clothes," Johnson said. "He came up, you know, with his gun out. I didn't know what was gonna happen. I was terrified. For (James') life, my life..."

Weaver, a resident of Reno, Nev., said he was in Stockton to buy a car when he crossed paths with who he would later find out was Officer Hachler on Highway 99.

According to the Stockton Police Department, Hachler was driving his personal pickup southbound on Highway 99 near Cherokee Road in Stockton when he said he spotted an SUV towing a U-Haul trailer "driving wildly."

Hachler said at one point Weaver even swerved across lanes of traffic and, after getting onto westbound Highway 4, Hachler said Weaver “intentionally swerved at him,” and he called California Highway Patrol (CHP) for backup.

RELATED: Stockton Police reviewing video of off-duty officer holding man at gunoint

While both men agree that Hachler followed Weaver to his destination, their stories differ on the details of how the situation unfolded outside of the vehicles.

Weaver said that Hachler never identified himself as an off-duty officer, not even when he pulled his gun out. Hachler said that he made it clear from the start that he was an officer.

ADVERTISEMENT
    'The Last Black Man in San Francisco' Fights Gentrification with Love
    Ad by Connatix
    However, since Hachler was off-duty, there is no body camera evidence to prove which account of the situation is true.

Organizers and activists with the People's Alliance for Justice said Wednesday what happens in the video below is a blatant example of racial profiling — and that the Stockton Police Department must be held accountable for the mistreatment of Weaver.

"What happened to Mr. James Weaver and his little children is disgusting. To be wrongfully followed and hunted down by an off-duty Stockton Police Officer is absolutely unacceptable," said Pastor Leon Scoggins in a statement shared with media. "The people of Stockton will stand against this kind of treatment and demand justice."

Scoggins is the Stockton representative of the People's Alliance for Justice.

RELATED:

Video shows off-duty Stockton Police Officer holding man at gunpoint
    All of the Stockton homicides so far in 2019
    Common unites hundreds in Stockton for Imagine Justice concert
    Weaver was arrested and booked into jail on $105,000 bail. He stayed there for around six hours until his wife was able to pay $10,000 bail to get him released. He returned to court in Stockton several days later to find that there were no longer charges against him.

"How do you have him on $105,000 bond for 'reckless driving' and what you say was going on?" asked Rev. Shane Harris, the founder of Peoples Alliance for Justice, emphasizing that there is no video evidence of the events before Weaver's arrest because Hachler was off-duty.

Harris went on to say that the actions of the off-duty officer only go to show that the department and departments across the country are going out of their way to overhaul citizens.

The case against the department will be based on the losses Weaver faced as a result of the arrest. That includes the $10,000 bail and traveling back to Stockton from Reno to attend a court case that Weaver was never told had been canceled.

It is the belief of Harris and the People's Alliance for Justice that Weaver was "humiliated and taken advantage of by a rogue off-duty cop who had road rage" and Harris said he hopes this will highlight Assembly Bill 392, which is headed to the Senate, and the need for legislative changes in how police interact with citizens.

"We're not waiting for another black man to die, we're going to stand up now," Harris said. "...this is about brutality and how (police) profile and target black and brown communities."

https://www.investigatetv.com/the-ma...waiis-history/

Hawaii Police officers under investigation for corruption.

https://abc7.com/off-duty-lapd-detec...adium/5352626/

ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- An off-duty Los Angeles Police Department detective has been assigned to home duty with pay after a report he was allegedly videotaping inside a men's bathroom at Angel Stadium of Anaheim.

Anaheim police said on June 8 at 9:50 p.m., they received a report about a man who allegedly videotaped another man inside a men's bathroom. The alleged victim then placed the suspect, identified as Ryan Caplette, 42, from Torrance, under citizen's arrest.

The LAPD media relations department said it's aware of the incident involving one of its employees, and the detective is assigned to home duty with pay.

Caplette was a detective assigned to the employee relations department, which is the department responsible for looking into employee grievances and working conditions.

An investigation is being conducted by the Anaheim Police Department.

https://patch.com/district-columbia/...ing-dc-officer

WASHINGTON, DC -- Metro Transit Police have opened an investigation and local activists are demanding answers after video captured an officer tasering a man who appeared only to be talking to another officer in a Metro station in D.C.

Police have opened an internal investigation after the video was shared on social media showing an officer shoving a man and then tasering him -- apparently unprovoked -- at the U Street Metro station on Saturday.

The Washington Post cited a Metro spokesman as saying that the officer's statement indicates that the arrested man took an "aggressive stance" with a balled fist and appeared ready to fight. However, a video posted by Black Lives Matter DC does not show any of these actions.

Embedded video

BlackLivesMatter DC
    @DMVBlackLives
    Its Black Joy Sunday & we still demanding @councilofdc have @wmata & @DCPoliceDept stop criminalizing & brutally beating Black children & people @charlesallen @CM_McDuffie @RobertWhite_DC @trayonwhite the kids were innocent yet handcuffed & made to look like a criminal @ACLU_DC

6:45 AM - Jun 23, 2019
    213 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Metro Transit Police released a statement saying that police were originally on the scene over a "report of disorderly juveniles threatening Metro patrons on the platform with sticks" at around 5:42 p.m. on Saturday.

After officers detained several juveniles identified by witnesses, they were not able to locate the witness and released the juveniles to their parents or guardians, according to the statement.

"During the investigation, as officers were interacting with the juveniles including two who had attempted to flee the scene, an adult male patron who was not involved in the original incident allegedly began interfering with the police investigation and -- according to an officer's report -- exhibited behavior consistent with preparing to fight the officer," the statement reads. "After the subject disregarded warnings to move back, the officer deployed his department issued CEW (commonly known as a TASER), and was able to take the man into custody. Neither the subject nor the involved officer reported any injury."

Because of "concerns raised on social media regarding the officer's handling of the interaction," police will investigate the matter, the statement adds.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

Metro Transit Police
    @MetroTransitPD
    MTPD has opened an internal investigation into an arrest at U Street Station yesterday evening that involved an officer using force. We take use-of-force matters seriously, and we are committed to fostering the public's trust in us. Below is our full statement. #wmata

1:31 PM - Jun 23, 2019
    85 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

https://apnews.com/104e29aeba6f4ffe99bd26bc6391d4d4

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — A special prosecutor was requested Monday to investigate the fatal shooting of a black man by a white police officer in a case that has inflamed tensions between black residents and law enforcement in the community and has roiled the Democratic presidential campaign of Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

St. Joseph County Prosecutor Kenneth Cotter filed a petition asking a judge to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the June 16 shooting of 54-year-old Eric Logan by South Bend police Sgt. Ryan O’Neill. It comes a day after Buttigieg said he would write the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division and notify Cotter that he’d like an independent investigator appointed.

Cotter’s petition also revealed that O’Neill had been accused of making “inappropriate racial remarks” as a patrol officer 11 years ago. The South Bend Fraternal Order of Police, which represents local officers including O’Neill, issued a statement Monday saying that it supports O’Neill and accusing Buttigieg of “driving a wedge between law enforcement officers and the community they took an oath to serve.”

Buttigieg, who has surged from obscurity to become a top-tier 2020 presidential candidate, left the campaign trail for several days to deal with fallout from the June 16 shooting. He faced criticism Sunday from angry residents of South Bend at an emotional town hall meeting, where some community members questioned whether he had done enough to reform the police department in his two terms as mayor. Buttigieg created controversy during his first term when he fired the city’s black police chief.
    Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg faced criticism Sunday from angry residents of South Bend, Indiana, at an emotional town hall meeting a week after a white police officer fatally shot a black man in the city where he is mayor. (June 24)

The mayor praised the prosecutor’s decision to request an independent investigator.

“I respect and support Prosecutor Cotter’s decision to seek an outside, special prosecutor to investigate the circumstances of Eric Logan’s death,” Buttigieg said in a statement Monday. “Our community is in anguish, and for all of us to come to terms with what happened, it is vital that the investigation be fair, thorough, and impartial.”

The shooting occurred after O’Neill responded to a call about a suspicious person going through vehicles, Cotter has said. O’Neill spotted Logan leaning inside a car. When confronted, Logan approached O’Neill with a 6- to 8-inch knife raised over his head, the prosecutor said. O’Neill fired twice, with one shot hitting a car door. The shooting was not recorded by the officer’s body camera.

Cotter’s petition requests a special prosecutor to “avoid any appearance of impropriety, conflict of interest or influence upon the ultimate prosecutorial decision to be made.”

The petition also noted his chief investigator, Dave Newton, was a South Bend police lieutenant in 2008 while O’Neill was a patrol officer and had filed a report at the time quoting two other officers “that voiced a concern of inappropriate racial remarks made by Ryan O’Neill.”

It wasn’t clear whether O’Neill received any department discipline as a result of the report.

https://www.sbsun.com/2019/06/28/san...obref=obinsite

Like many rookie deputies fresh out of the San Bernardino County sheriff’s training academy, 22-year-old Luke Van Ginkel began his law enforcement career at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.

But unlike most deputies, Van Ginkel had a sadistic streak during his stint there, according to interviews with more than a half-dozen inmates at West Valley. Not only did Van Ginkel threaten some inmates, they said, but more often he provoked inmates to fight one another in the jail’s protective custody unit.

ADVERTISING

A May 22 criminal complaint filed in San Bernardino Superior Court charges Van Ginkel with criminal threats and assault. Fellow rookie Deputy Arthur Enriquez, who inmates say often went along with and covered up for Van Ginkel’s alleged iniquity, is charged with a felony count of accessory after the fact.

West Valley inmate Alex Garcia is charged with one felony count of assault likely to produce great bodily injury for an alleged assault on fellow inmate Richard Freeman on Dec. 31, 2018.

Van Ginkel, Enriquez and Garcia all pleaded not guilty to the charges during their June 17 arraignment. They will next appear in Rancho Cucamonga Superior Court on Aug. 5 for a pretrial hearing.

West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga. (SCNG)
    ‘Staged multiple fights’
    In interviews, inmates say Van Ginkel instigated more than just Garcia’s alleged New Year’s Eve assault on Freeman.

“They staged multiple fights,” West Valley inmate John Rodriguez said in an interview at the jail. Rodriguez said he witnessed the alleged assault on Freeman, as well as another inmate assault facilitated by Van Ginkel by inmate Jose Angel Carrillo.

Carrillo admitted to the assault during a recent interview at the jail, saying he did it out of fear of Van Ginkel and concern for his own safety.

“I didn’t want to become someone’s bitch,” Carrillo said.

Culture of abuse?
    The charges against Van Ginkel and Enriquez come five years after allegations of inmate abuse by at least three rookie deputies surfaced in the same unit at the jail, prompting investigations by the Sheriff’s Department and the FBI in March 2014.

Inmates alleged a pattern of Taser gun torture by rookie Deputies Brock Teyechea, Andrew Cruz and Nicholas Oakley. The three deputies, along with Deputies Robert Escamilla, Russell Kopasz, Robert Morris and Eric Smale, were either fired or resigned from the Sheriff’s Department, authorities said. None of the deputies was criminally charged.

In March 2018, the Berkeley-based prisoner advocacy nonprofit, Prison Law Office, settled a class-action lawsuit with the county alleging inmate civil rights violations at county jails, including excessive use of force by deputies on inmates and inadequate medical and mental health care.

Under terms of the settlement, Sheriff John McMahon agreed to, among other things, revise the department’s deputy use-of-force policy and expand inmate health-care services. A federal judge approved the consent decree in December 2018.

Some allege a culture and pattern of inmate abuse in county jails, especially in West Valley’s protective custody unit, where accused child molesters, gang dropouts and others who face danger from the general population are housed.

“It’s a complete and total culture of violence handed down from one generation to the next,” said Victorville defense attorney Jim Terrell, who along with attorney Sharon Brunner represented 33 inmate plaintiffs in seven federal civil rights lawsuits stemming from the Taser gun torture allegations. Those cases were settled in July 2017 for a total of $2.75 million.

“It appears conditions have not improved at San Bernardino County jails,” Brunner said. “I continue to be very concerned and disheartened at the number of inmates who contact me about beatings, denial of medical care and the cruel indifference of (West Valley Detention Center) staff.”

Since January, Terrell and Brunner say they have received more than 20 complaints from inmates alleging Van Ginkel staged fights or assaulted them at the jail.

McMahon, as he did in 2014, maintains there is no culture of inmate abuse at West Valley or any other county jail, and that there is nothing to tie the allegations against Van Ginkel and Enriquez to the Taser gun abuse cases of the past.

“There’s nothing to connect the two. There’s nothing to suggest a pattern,” he said during a recent tour of the jail.

Van Ginkel’s attorney, Michael Begovich, said his client resigned from the Sheriff’s Department amid the internal affairs and criminal investigations. He declined to comment for this story. The Sheriff’s Department confirmed Van Ginkel was no longer working for the department as of April 1.

Enriquez is still employed at the department, but remains on paid administrative leave.

The West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga . (Image via Google Maps)
    Inmates allege abuse
    During interviews over the past month, inmates said inmate Freeman was assaulted by Garcia in a hair-cutting room, housed in the “G Room” of the unit, which also has a nurse’s office and upstairs phone bank for inmates to talk to visitors.

Inmate Rodriguez said he was a chow server preparing meals in the G Room when Van Ginkel brought in a handcuffed Freeman and sat him in the “barber room,” as it is called. Rodriguez said Van Ginkel instructed him to push a food cart in front of the barber room to obstruct the view.

“You know what time it is,” Rodriguez quoted Van Ginkel as saying.

He said he complied with Van Ginkel’s orders out of fear of what would happen to him if he didn’t. Rodriguez said Garcia, at Van Ginkel’s urging, went into the room and began punching Freeman. Garcia also is charged in connection with the May 2018 fatal shooting of an Ontario man.

Freeman filed a claim with the county on Jan. 23 alleging abuse, denial of medical care and cruel and unusual punishment. He signed a settlement agreement with the county on Jan. 31 for $250,000, and agreed to keep details of the incident confidential, according to the claim and settlement agreement.

Carrillo, who is in custody for attempted murder, said he assaulted an inmate inside his cell on Christmas Eve 2018 after Van Ginkel opened both his and the other inmate’s cell doors. Van Ginkel orchestrated the whole thing, even telling Carrillo to use the excuse of needing a toilet plunger as the reason for leaving his cell, Carrillo said.

Carrillo said he beat the inmate until he pleaded for him to stop, then returned to his cell, where he said Van Ginkel got on the cell intercom and said, “I hope you enjoyed your Christmas present.”

Neither Carrillo nor other inmates interviewed for this story could remember the name of the inmate victim, only the cell number and cell block where he was housed in and that he went by the nickname “Smokey.”

Carrillo is named in the criminal complaint against Van Ginkel, but not as a charged assault suspect like Garcia. Rather, he is considered a victim of criminal threats by Van Ginkel on Dec. 23, 2018.

Deputy District Attorney Debbie Ploghaus, who is prosecuting Van Ginkel, Enriquez and Garcia, said she did not have enough evidence to support a criminal assault or battery charge against Carrillo that would have held up at trial. She did, however, believe her evidence was solid in proving Van Ginkel threatened Carrillo.

Ploghaus said she was unaware of allegations by other inmates — including Michael Flores and Darrell Jones — that Van Ginkel assaulted them.

Other assaults alleged
    Flores alleges he was physically attacked in his cell by Van Ginkel and Enriquez last November after he exchanged words with a female custody specialist. He claims Van Ginkel entered his cell and “sucker punched” him on the right side of his face. He said he fell to the floor and put his hands behind his back to show he wasn’t resisting, when Van Ginkel and Enriquez allegedly kicked and punched him repeatedly.

Flores said other deputies, sergeants and nurses were aware of the incident but did nothing.

“Sergeants and deputies all knew about it, and they turned a blind eye,” said Flores, who has since been transferred to the High Desert Detention Center in Adelanto.

Flores said he filed a grievance about the incident, but could not remember the findings from the investigation, only that they were not in his favor.

Jones, who is in custody for the the January 2016 beating death of his mother, Barbara Crumity, said Van Ginkel in December cuffed one of his hands through the food tray slot of his cell door, then pepper sprayed his cell with the other hand. Jones said Van Ginkel firmly held him in place for a minute or two as he inhaled the caustic chemicals.

Former Florida officer allegedly planted drugs during traffic stops, 'tailored' body cam video
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-fl...180952213.html

ALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A former Florida deputy was arrested Wednesday morning on numerous charges that he planted street drugs like meth on unsuspecting motorists before hauling them off to jail.

Zach Wester, 26, was arrested on felony charges of racketeering, official misconduct, fabricating evidence, possession of a controlled substance and false imprisonment.

The one-time Jackson County deputy faces misdemeanor charges of perjury, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said.

He was arrested by FDLE agents and taken to the Wakulla County Jail, where he is being held without bail.

I anticipate a lot of lawsuits!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://ktla.com/2019/07/19/l-a-coun...ui-conviction/

When Alex Villanueva appeared onstage in December to be sworn in as Los Angeles County sheriff, his son was standing nearby cheering him on.

Now, 33-year-old Johannes Jared Villanueva is working for the department as a deputy sheriff trainee, on track to graduate from the academy in November.

The son, an Army veteran, was hired in June despite a record that department watchdogs said would generate scrutiny. It comes as the sheriff is facing questions about other hiring decisions.

In 2009 and 2010, he was the subject of two bench warrants for failing to comply with a court-ordered treatment program tied to his 2009 conviction of a misdemeanor DUI in San Diego County, resulting in an extension of his probation until 2015, according to court files.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-...ice-department

PALO ALTO, Calif. (KTVU) - Palo Alto Police Department is defending itself against charges several officers violated a suspect’s civil rights. Attorneys for Gustavo Alvarez say the officers in question filed false police reports and did not reveal the use-of-force during his arrest.

The charges in the criminal case last year were dropped against Alvarez because the Santa Clara County Superior Court judge ruled Palo Alto police did not have reasonable suspicion to stop and arrest him for a traffic violation.

Alvarez’ lawyer has now filed charges against the department in federal court, saying police violated his client’s 4th Amendment rights against illegal search and seizures.

It’s aimed at deterring this type of unlawful behavior, this dishonest behavior by the police,” said attorney Cody Salfen, who is representing Alvarez.
    \
    Salfen laid out hundreds of pages of evidence he says prove four Palo Alto police officers are unfit to wear a badge. His case centers on home surveillance video from the rough arrest of Gustavo Alvarez in February 2018.

Officer Chris Conde initially tried to conduct a traffic stop because – according to the police report – the subject was known to have a suspended driver’s license. According to Conde’s report the, “suspect was seen driving in the roadway.” But in the audio from the surveillance video, Conde can be heard responding to Alvarez’ repeated question “did you see me driving,” by saying, “I didn’t.”

In the video, Alvarez makes a hand gesture and goes back into his mobile home. Conde leaves for a few minutes and calls in back up. Now several patrol shift officers return, demanding Alvarez surrender. Sgt. Wayne Benitez eventually kicks in the door, grabs the suspect and – with help – throws him to the hood of a car.

Benitez said in his report, officers moved to make an arrest, “since officers had two on-view charges against him [Alvarez], driving on a suspended license and now resisting officers.” The report goes on to say, “…Agent DeStafano and I put Alvarez on the hood of his car where he was handcuffed. No other force was used on Alvarez.” But the surveillance video shows officers punching Alvarez and slamming him face-first into the car’s windshield.

“I’m bleeding,” Alvarez told officers as they pull him toward a patrol vehicle. “You’re gonna be bleeding a whole lot more,” Sgt. Benitez responded.

“Not a single one of those officers reported the incident properly. Not a single one of those officers adhered to the written policy in terms of informing their superiors about the use-of-force. The use of force. The violence. The unlawful acts by Sgt. Benitez were specifically from Benitez’ report. They were omitted from Officer Conde’s report,” said Salfen.

Salfen’s civil rights lawsuit against the Palo Alto Police Department claims officers deprived Alvarez of his 4th Amendment right against unlawful search and seizure. Palo Alto police referred us to the city manager for comment, who issued a statement that reads in part, “The police department has procedures to investigate allegations of misconduct thoroughly and to hold officers accountable if misconduct is determined to have occurred.”

According to police officials, only Sgt. Benitez is on administrative duty. The others are working their normal shifts.

“These officers have no business being peace officers. They are dishonest. They are violent. They have a veil of secrecy that they’ve created,” said Salfen.

This incident involves only a handful of Palo Alto police officers, and is not an indictment of the entire department. The federal civil rights case is still on going and could take months to either go to trial or reach a settlement.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/cri...se/1825651001/

Nicholas Tartaglione a former Cop under investigation for murder is now under investigation over Jefferey Epstein.

Nicholas Tartaglione made headlines in 2016 when the former Briarcliff Manor police officer was charged with killing four men in Orange County.

There have been various developments in his story as his case lingers, including this week, when WNBC reported that Tartaglione was questioned about jail-cell injuries found on financier and accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

Here's a timeline of events in Tartaglione's case and federal custody.

Dec. 19, 2016: Tartaglione, then 49, was arrested and accused of killing Martin Luna, Urbano Santiago, Miguel Luna, and Hector Gutierrez in and around the Likquid Lounge, a bar his brother operated in Chester. He was also charged with conspiracy to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine, and federal prosecutors said the killings were part of that drug conspiracy.

Tartaglione pleaded not guilty to the charges, which were filed in a five-count superseding indictment. The original indictment was sealed. The charges referred to co-conspirators, but did not identify other people allegedly involved.

Dec. 20, 2016: The bodies of those four men were found on property that Tartaglione had rented in Otisville in Orange County. The four men had been missing since April 11, 2016.

March 8, 2017: Gerard Benderoth fatally shot himself when FBI agents pulled him over while driving in Haverstraw. Questions swirled about a possible tie between Benderoth — a 48-year-old power weightlifter, Stony Point resident, retired Haverstraw police officer, and father of four — and Tartaglione.

Tartaglione's lawyer, Bruce Barket, said at the time that Benderoth had surfaced in the case, but it's unclear in what capacity.

June 1, 2017: Joseph Biggs, a Nanuet resident and security guard for the Greenburgh-Graham school district in Hastings-on-Hudson, was arrested in the case. He and Tartaglione were charged in a 17-count superseding indictment, which added firearms and kidnapping charges to the murder and drug conspiracy charges.

Joseph Biggs, of Nanuet, is charged along with ex-Briarcliff
    Joseph Biggs, of Nanuet, is charged along with ex-Briarcliff Manor cop Nicholas Tartaglione in the April 2016 deaths of four men in Orange County (Photo: Submitted)

September 19, 2017: A brief appearance in White Plains federal court revealed that prosecutors believed Tartaglione was not present when three of the men were killed in April 2016. Prosecutors had said that Tartaglione and Biggs are believed to have lured Martin Luna to Likquid Lounge because he owed money from a drug operation, and that Luna brought the other three men, who were not involved in the narcotics ring.
    If Tartaglione Beat Up Jefferey Epstein then pardon him!! He deserves to be pardoned.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/cri...es/1824385001/

Speculation that accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein may have been assaulted in his Manhattan jail cell by a former Briarcliff Manor police officer awaiting trial in a quadruple homicide is false, the lawyer for ex-cop Nicholas Tartaglione said Thursday afternoon.

"Any suggestion that Mr. Tartaglione assaulted anyone is a complete fabrication," the lawyer, Bruce Barket, said in a statement. "This story is being leaked to retaliate against Mr. Tartaglione for complaining to the court about the deplorable conditions at the MCC. We made those complaints on Monday in open court. We warned the judge that officials at the jail would retaliate against Nick because we have been exposing the inhumane conditions at the facility.”

Epstein, a wealthy financier, has been held at the federal Metropolitan Correctional Center since his arrest July 6. He was found this week in his cell, lying in a fetal position, semi-conscious, with marks on his neck, wnbcnewyork.com reported Wednesday night.

Investigators are looking into the possibility that Epstein might have tried to hang himself, or that it might have been a ruse to try to get transferred, according to NBC, which also reported Epstein is on suicide watch.

Nick Tartaglione, a former Briarcliff Manor police
    Nick Tartaglione, a former Briarcliff Manor police officer, was arrested on Dec. 19, 2016, and charged in a quadruple homicide in Orange County. (Photo: Courtesy of Nick Tartaglione)

Investigators talked to Tartaglione, who is the same unit at MCC, as they also look into the possibility that Epstein might have been assaulted, NBC reported.

Epstein, 66, was treated and, according to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, remains in custody at MCC. Jail records obtained by The Associated Press show no indication he was taken to a hospital.

In a statement, the bureau gave no other details and would not comment on Epstein’s condition. An Epstein lawyer had no immediate response.

Epstein has been accused of sexually abusing dozens of underage girls in the early 2000s. He was indicted on federal charges in New York this month more than a decade after he secretly struck a deal with federal prosecutors in Florida to dispose of similar charges of large-scale sex trafficking. He pleaded guilty in 2008 to soliciting a minor for prostitution and served 13 months behind bars.

A judge denied him bail last week, ruling that he might flee the country if released. The judge also said Epstein is a danger to the public because of his “uncontrollable” urges to engage in sexual conduct with underage girls.

Barket told NBC that Tartaglione and Epstein get along well. He said the two men have been complaining about rodents, flooding, and food in the jail.

Newsletters
    Get the Daily Briefing newsletter in your inbox.
    Start your day with the morning's top news

Delivery: Daily
    Your Email
    Tartaglione has been complaining about the conditions for more than two years. It got so bad this year that U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas intervened and requested updates from officials at the prison about efforts to make improvements. Last month, the situation seemed to have improved, Barket said, but he told Karas Monday that the situation had worsened.

Tartaglione made headlines recently after correction officers confiscated an illicit cell phone that was found in his cell on July 3, according to court records. He claimed his cellmate had tossed it to him as correction officers approached the cell, prosecutors said.

Tartaglione was assaulted at MCC in 2018, when he was hospitalized for two weeks for surgery to repair a fractured eye socket bone, Barket said at the time.

Jeffrey Epstein
    A 2006 photo provided by the Palm Beach (Fla.) Sheriff's Office shows Jeffrey Epstein. (Photo: Palm Beach (Fla.) Sheriff's Office)

Tartaglione is facing the death penalty in the killing in the killing of four men — Martin Luna, Miguel Luna, Urbano Santiago, and Hector Gutierrez — who were found buried in December 2016 on property that Tartaglione had previously rented in Otisville, in Orange County.

The four men went missing on April 11, 2016, after going to the Likquid Lounge, a bar in Chester that Tartaglione's brother operated.

Prosecutors contend that Tartaglione had been involved in a drug ring and that Martin Luna owed money after failing to deliver cocaine. Luna was lured to the bar, where he brought his two nephews and Gutierrez, a family friend.

According to court records, Tartaglione is believed to have killed Martin Luna at the bar, and the other three men were brought to the Otisville property and fatally shot there.

The Associated Press and Journal News staff writer Jonathan Bandler contributed to this report

The former Westchester police officer charged in a quadruple homicide was hospitalized for more than two weeks last month after getting assaulted in federal prison, his lawyer said in a court document.

Nicholas Tartaglione needed reconstructive surgery for a fractured eye socket bone, following the Feb. 11 incident at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan.

The details of Tartaglione's injury were contained in a letter asking U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas for help getting Tartaglione safer accommodations with better access to legal assistance and "human necessities such as a toothbrush and eating utensils."

"He is quite literally in a box staring at walls," Bruce Barket wrote last week of MCC's Special Housing Unit, known in prison lingo as 'the hole'. "Not surprisingly his mental health has declined."

He suggested the conditions have hampered efforts to defend Tartaglione and prepare a mitigation case in the event prosecutors seek the death penalty.

A spokesperson for the federal Bureau of Prisons did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

FEDS: Tartaglione transported body while three other victims were shot

FOUND: Four bodies dug up from ex-cop's property

Checkered career
    Tartaglione had a checkered career working in several Westchester police departments, primarily Briarcliff Manor, where he retired in 2008.

He was arrested in December 2016, the day before the bodies of the four victims were found buried on property he had previously rented in Otisville in Orange County.

The men had been missing since April 11 that year, when prosecutors allege that Martin Luna was lured to a bar in Chester, NY, that was owned at the time by Tartaglione's brother.

Luna had been involved in a botched drug deal with a group that included Tartaglione, prosecutors contend. He brought along two nephews, Urbano Santiago and Miguel Luna, and a family friend, Hector Gutierrez.

Newsletters
    Get the Daily Briefing newsletter in your inbox.
    Start your day with the morning's top news

Delivery: Daily
    Your Email
    Authorities do not know how Martin Luna was killed but suspect that Tartaglione had left to bury the body on his property when the others were fatally shot.

Months after Tartaglione was arrested, a second defendant, Joseph Biggs, was charged. Biggs lived in Nanuet and worked security at the Greenburgh-Graham School in Hastings-on-Hudson.

Jail accommodations
    Barket said Tartaglione was initially kept in a Special Housing Unit at MCC and then transfered last spring to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, where he was housed in a unit set aside for defendants who were in law enforcement or needed similar protection.

He was cited for two violations there. First he lost commissary privileges for six months because he wrote an email to a former inmate's wife. When he accepted commissary from another inmate, he was barred from having visitors and having phone and email privileges for three months.

In December, Tartaglione was put in MDC's special housing unit and then transfered back to MCC.

But despite his career in law enforcement, Tartaglione was put in general population, where the assault occurred last month.

When Tartaglione got out of the hospital he was returned to the SHU at MCC, where he is denied books, legal documents, access to a telephone and computer

When Barket asked a guard earlier this month why Tartaglione was in a completely empty cell, he said the guard replied, "It's jail."

"There is a tendency in our system to verbally acknowledge a defendant's right to humane treatment and reasonable access to counsel, but then to normalize the severe and often inhumane conditions in the detention facilities," Barket wrote, calling the guard's attitude "all too pervasive."

He acknowledged that the Constitution does not require "comfortable prison conditions" but suggested that Tartaglione's rights to prepare his defense and be free of cruel and unusual punishment are in jeopardy.

Twitter: @jonbandler
    https://www.lohud.com/story/news/201...ide/441672002/

https://apnews.com/f6f14016c7b64a6d883a35a48b330298

A Louisiana police chief apologized Thursday to his city and to the family of a black man shot and killed by a former police officer in 2016, saying the officer never should have been hired, at the same time his office announced a settlement reversing the officer’s 2018 firing and allowing him to resign instead.

At a news conference in Baton Rouge, Police Chief Murphy Paul and a police lawyer detailed repeated problems with Officer Blane Salamoni that they said should have raised red flags long before Alton Sterling was shot and killed.

Paul was not the chief at the time of the shooting, which launched days of protests over police treatment of black people.

In particular, the lawyer, Leo Hamilton, said Salamoni had been arrested for a physical altercation prior to joining the police department, which normally would have prevented him from being hired. He also failed to disclose his arrest in his application, Hamilton said.

The chief said the Sterling shooting was part of a well-documented pattern of “unprofessional behavior, police violence, marginalization, polarization and implicit bias by a man who should have never ever wore this uniform.”

“I want to apologize to the family of Alton Sterling and also to his kids. We’re sorry because he (Salamoni) should’ve never been hired,” Paul said.

Both state and federal officials declined to prosecute Salamoni and another officer involved in the altercation with Sterling, Howie Lake II. Salamoni — who fired all the shots that killed Sterling — was fired by Murphy in March 2018.

Salamoni appealed and under the settlement announced Thursday, he’ll be allowed to voluntarily resign retroactive to March 2018 instead of being fired. He will not receive any compensation, Hamilton said.

Hamilton said authorities continue to believe Salamoni’s firing was justified but said they advised settling because there was no guarantee that the firing wouldn’t be reversed in litigation. And Paul emphasized that Salamoni would never police Baton Rouge streets again.

Salamoni’s lawyer, John McLindon, said they’re happy the settlement withdraws his termination and allows him to resign.

McLindon said his client would have easily won reinstatement in an upcoming hearing but that he and Salamoni questioned what that would have achieved. McLindon said his client can resign and become an officer elsewhere if he wants.

He said his client had been cleared by both state and federal officials and emphasized that Sterling had a gun and was pulling it out when Salamoni shot him. He criticized the chief’s comments critical of Salamoni, calling them “inappropriate.”

McLindon also disputed that Salamoni had been arrested before starting with the police department.

Officials did not give any information about Salamoni’s pre-employment arrest but The Advocate newspaper described a 2009 incident in downtown Baton Rouge in which Salamoni was detained by police after an off-duty sheriff’s deputy saw him yell at and shove a woman at a bar.

Alton Sterling’s death came at a time of intense scrutiny across the country over the treatment of black people by police.

Salamoni and Lake encountered Sterling after responding to a report of a man with a gun outside the Triple S Food Mart.

Federal authorities, who opened a civil rights investigation immediately after the shooting, said Salamoni yelled that 37-year-old Sterling was reaching for a gun in his pocket before shooting him. The officers recovered a loaded revolver from Sterling’s pocket.

Lake helped wrestle Sterling to the ground, but didn’t fire his gun.

Two cellphone videos of the shooting quickly spread on social media, leading to nightly protests.

Many of the protesters complained about historic tensions between Baton Rouge police and the city’s African American residents. The police chief addressed those concerns Thursday, acknowledging past problems with law enforcement behavior.

“While we obviously cannot change the past, it is clear that we must change the future. And I sincerely apologize for the actions of the past and the role that our profession has played in building barriers in communities of color in the city of Baton Rouge,” Paul said.

Hamilton listed numerous problems investigators discovered about Salamoni, including regular use of profanity and unnecessary force during his work.

He even had problems with other officers. In one instance, Hamilton said Salamoni had a “blow up” with another officer that was so troublesome it caused another officer to say that if something wasn’t done about Salamoni, he could “eventually kill someone.”

Sterling’s relatives have filed a lawsuit against the city. Michael Adams, a lawyer representing three of Sterling’s children in the civil suit, said it was “refreshing” to hear a police chief come out and speak so frankly about the officer’s shortcomings. But he said the city knew Salamoni was a bad cop who was poorly trained and protected from within the department.

___

https://ktla.com/2019/08/05/san-dieg...-dead-in-home/

A San Diego Police Department sergeant arrested by fellow officers last week on suspicion of soliciting a minor for sex was found dead in his Carmel Valley home after missing a court appearance, authorities said.

Joseph Ruvido, 49, was found unresponsive about 4:24 p.m. and ultimately pronounced dead, the San Diego Police Department said in a written statement.

He had been scheduled to appear in San Diego County Superior Court at 1:30 p.m. for a hearing in his sex crime case, but never showed up, officials said. Officers went to the sergeant’s home to find out why he missed court.

“After several attempts to reach him, the decision was made to force entry into his apartment,” Police Chief David Nisleit said during a press conference on Monday evening.

“Once inside, officers found him deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound,” the chief said.

Ruvido was arrested on July 26 after his department received a tip regarding people looking for sex with minors, police said. He was a 21-yer veteran of the department.

Details of the allegation against Ruvido have not been released.

“Like many of you, I, too, have many questions that remain unanswered,” Nisleit said. “This is still an unfolding investigation.”

Following Ruvido’s arrest, he was released from custody on $100,000 bail pending legal proceedings, officials said. In the meantime, he had been suspended from the police department without bail.

Sydney's so fucked these days. This has been an issue for the last few years & it's getting ridiculous. Even before the last state election NSW Police had started doing mass strip search operations in public places, during broad daylight - this has included Central Station during peak hour.

If a drug dog sits near you, you have to strip behind a portable screen they set up in a busy public area. It's fucked.

I grew up in Sydney & I miss living there but I hate visiting now because it's so aggressively over-policed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...scope/11435260

Strip Searches In Spotlight After 21 Year Old Claims She's Been Targeted Six Times

NSW Police's use of strip searches skyrocketing, report finds

PHOTO: Crystal Smithers has been strip searched six times. (ABC News: David Collins)

Police in NSW are using strip searches more than ever before, and many of them could be unlawful, according to a new report.

Key points

Thirty per cent of all strip searches result in a criminal charge

One 21-year-old woman told the ABC she had been strip searched six times by police

A police spokesperson said all recruits were taught how to undertake a strip search

Under law, strip searches are only meant to be carried out as a last resort when circumstances are deemed serious and urgent, but experts claim searches are routinely used in non-urgent circumstances.

"In many cases police aren't turning their minds to the legal criteria for conducting a strip search," said Dr Vicki Sentas, the lead author of a new report by the University of NSW.

The research, commissioned by Redfern Legal Centre, has revealed there has been an almost 20-fold increase in the number of searches in the past 12 years.

The study found between 2014-2015, and 2017-2018, searches in the field found nothing between 62.6 and 65.6 per cent of the time.

Music festival fanatic Crystal Smithers, 21, said she had been strip searched six times at festivals.

During her worst experience, Ms Smithers said she was made to strip naked, squat and cough, all while she was on her period.

"I was made to take my clothes off completely, squat and told I'd have to take my tampon out if they believed I had something concealed inside me," she said.

The officer didn't follow through, and Ms Smithers said no drugs have ever been found on her, but the whole experience made her feel humiliated and embarrassed.

"She was a woman herself so surely she could have understood how uncomfortable that would have made me feel," Ms Smithers said.

"I don't want to have to be pulled aside and strip searched and it ruin my whole night. It would be easier to stay at home and not go."

She is now reconsidering her love of "hardstyle" festivals, which has involved attending 30 music festivals in the past three years.

Wide interpretations
    Dr Sentas said laws governing strip searches in NSW were unclear and open to wide interpretations.

"It's not very clear to police what exactly the definition of a strip search is," she said.

"If [officers] don't realise what a strip search is, they don't realise it needs to be recorded as a strip search and then they won't need to follow the very serious mandatory rules to protect a person's privacy and dignity."

According to the report, asking someone to remove their clothing and to squat and cough to dislodge secret items in their body does not legally amount to a strip search.

"A strip search is not meant to be a cavity search," Dr Sentas said.

"It's only meant to be a visual search and inspection of the body without touch."

"There's no special legal provision in New South Wales authorising police to conduct the procedure known as squat and cough.

"It's still a cavity search and in New South Wales a cavity search is defined as a forensic procedure and only a court can order it."

Dr Vicki Senta holds her report at UNSW, she is wearing glasses and is standing next to a tall white man, another researcher.
    PHOTO: Dr Vicki Sentas said cavity searches can only be ordered by a court. (ABC News: David Collins)
    A NSW Police spokesperson said in a statement that all recruits were taught how to undertake a strip search and further training was provided throughout their career.

"Police officers do not enjoy carrying out strip searches," the spokesperson said.

"But it is a power that has been entrusted to us and searches reveal drugs and weapons."

NSW police also said strip searches represented only 1 per cent of all searches conducted across NSW, but the searches were sometimes the only way to locate dangerous items, including weapons and drugs.

"During this season's music festivals, police found many persons had secreted trafficable quantities of illegal drugs in their underwear or internally, including an 18-year-old woman who internally concealed 394 MDMA pills," the police spokesperson said.

Data obtained by UNSW showed 30 per cent of all strip searches result in a criminal charge.

The researchers say young people aged 25 and younger are among the most likely to be strip searched.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people also account for 10 per cent of all recorded strip searches in the field.

In recent years there has been a sharp increase in the amount of young people seeking legal advice about strip searches, according to Sam Lee, head of Police Accountability at Redfern Legal Centre.

"We actually need a change in the law to direct education of police on the ground," Ms Lee said.

Ms Lee claimed safeguards like being searched in private, sealed off areas were also not being followed.

The NSW Minister for Police, David Elliott, did not respond to requests for an interview but in a statement said that strip searches are governed by a "comprehensive legislative framework" that has "key safeguards".

Also, fuck everyone in NSW who voted for 4 more years of this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Sydney's so fucked these days. This has been an issue for the last few years & it's getting ridiculous. Even before the last state election NSW Police had started doing mass strip search operations in public places, during broad daylight - this has included Central Station during peak hour.

If a drug dog sits near you, you have to strip behind a portable screen they set up in a busy public area. It's fucked.

I grew up in Sydney & I miss living there but I hate visiting now because it's so aggressively over-policed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...scope/11435260

Also, fuck everyone in NSW who voted for 4 more years of this bullshit.
    Are they doing this to everyone or only the pretty girls? The article doesn't say what happens if the person doesn't agree to being strip searched, so what happens?, jail?

Thread Information