Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Yard & Garden (Indoor/Outdoor)

Petunias growing in the cracks is so neat! Last year I was pulling stuff growing out of the cracks that turned out to be catnip. I have a planter of catnip that re-seeds every year and some seeds must have germinated in the cracks, but they were way bigger than my catnip in the planter.

I'm growing Lantana in pots this year and I'm going to try to bring in doors and see if I can't keep them alive for the winter.

I have no idea how I'm going to be able to pull my garden out and transplant to the other house . I may just need to let most of it go. Sad sauce

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

I am at the new house and we have yet to start the fall garden however we do have a huge black walnut tree and an orange tree. Well 3 days ago out of nowhere this weird vagina flower comes out of the dirt.mi mean seriously it was not there one day then the next it is a foot tall. Fast forward 3 days and we have this.... Wtf it is so pretty but where did it come from????

Belladonna lily? They pop up pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by hazydaze View Post
    Belladonna lily? They pop up pretty quick
    It is amazing but it is just in this weird dirt by a crack and I am afraid to transplant it anywhere

ok now I know I am crazy. At around 2pm I took a photo of the lilly. Then at around 7 I took another. notice anything?
    I just got a new camera today and that is why I was out snapping photos of stuff so I know I am not loosing my mind lol

When I moved in there was this dying cactus that I nursed back to health and now it has this at ,east 6 foot vine thing growing in all directions and up. Kinda cool, not sure what it is though.

This mornings "naked ladies" that's what my grandma swears they are

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinatedkat View Post
    When I moved in there was this dying cactus that I nursed back to health and now it has this at ,east 6 foot vine thing growing in all directions and up. Kinda cool, not sure what it is though.

This mornings "naked ladies" that's what my grandma swears they are

Hazy and your mema are both correct ... belladonna lily/naked ladies = amaryllis. I have a red one that I force bloom indoors during winter.

Are you sure that vine is growing out of the cactus? If not, it will likely strangle the cactus to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Sorry to double post ... the cactus looks like some kind of agave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

It's a big pot. Maybe the previous owner planted something along with the cactus and it just never grew. I dunno. I have never seen a plant vine out like that so quickly. I am going to build it a trellis tonight

I'm a little afraid to bump this thread. I don't want to summon a certain someone.

Anyway, does anyone here compost for their yard/garden? I bought a tumbling compost thing and have been putting all the stuff in it as directed. I am not sure how long it should take though to turn into compost. It's breaking down, but it doesn't look like what I think compost should look like (kind of like dirt). Am I expecting too much too soon? It's been a couple of months now.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I'm a little afraid to bump this thread. I don't want to summon a certain someone.

Anyway, does anyone here compost for their yard/garden? I bought a tumbling compost thing and have been putting all the stuff in it as directed. I am not sure how long it should take though to turn into compost. It's breaking down, but it doesn't look like what I think compost should look like (kind of like dirt). Am I expecting too much too soon? It's been a couple of months now.
    Sorry so late replying. I've been reading the gardening boards and they suggest a 3 bin system. Because if you keep adding scraps to the bin- it's never really ready.

But the short answer is 6 mths to a year.

If you're constantly adding new material to the composter, you'll never get a complete batch of finished compost. There will always be something fresh in there. That's why you see a lot of recommendations for "three bin" systems: add fresh material to one bin, the second bin is in the process of finishing, and the third bin is finished and is where you take compost from when you need it.
    You said kitchen scraps "and stuff". Not sure what the "stuff" is, and you must have a good balance if it doesn't stink, but make sure you're adding enough "browns" -- carbon-heavy materials like autumn leaves, shredded cardboard or black and white newspaper, straw, etc.
    https://gardening.stackexchange.com/...mpost-to-ripen

[QUOTE=merdeath;2814219]Here are mine lil ones!

Bachelor Buttons and Sunflowers

The sunflowers.* See the shell.* That is so cool!

My mom bought me this for Easter
    12 months of seeds!
    [/QUOTE
    Wonderful indoor plants but your siggy is scaring me :D

I love irises...they remind me of some of the few happy times with of my childhood, spent at my Grandma's house. I had some iris cuttings that came from her yard, right after we bought our first house, and I have taken them from house to house with me. Then I had a yard guy replace some sod and he dug them all up and threw them away before I knew what he was doing. So I went a little crazy this fall and bought like 35 different colors of iris rhizomes off Ebay. They are supposed to take a year to two years to bloom, but I planted them in October and I already have a bloom. I'm so excited.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Those are so pretty & frilly, RBW!!!

I love irises and amaryllis - I can take or leave tulips and daffodils.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Those are so pretty & frilly, RBW!!!

I love irises and amaryllis - I can take or leave tulips and daffodils.
    Thank you! I love amaryllis too. I used to have a bunch of those at my very first house.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Just some pictures of our Shabby Chic Garden. I'm so proud of it. Everything you see here except for the actual flowers was all either free on the side of the road and refurbished by me or given to us for free. We currently have a Mourning Dove couple that have nested in our Loquat Tree and Humming Birds fighting over the feeders. Various other wildlife comes through at night as well. This is our sanctuary

Picture #3 has our hot pepper variety growing strong. Picture #8 is the corn and some mystery vegetable off to the left that sprung up in the last day. I'm pretty sure it's watermelon that I thought didn't take. Cucumbers are planted between them and hopefully those will be ready in a few months. Picture#9 is potatoes and zucchini. My husband spotted a potato with sprouts in the bag he bought and planted it to see what would happen. It went CRAZY.

Not pictured is the side yard that has three tomato plants all in various stages along with the herb garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I'm so glad you guys got the fence put up and got your garden area back! It looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I'm so glad you guys got the fence put up and got your garden area back! It looks awesome!
    Yes! Thank you! It was a lot of hard work to turn it in to this after it being a dumping ground for years. There were literally broken crack pipes, mattresses and old broken bureaus back here a year and a half ago. The landlady never took much notice of the work we'd done, but her husband (the actual owner and landlord) came with her to "prune" the Loquat Tree. It was first time in seven years we had seen him. You should have SEEN HIS FACE when he looked around in wonder and awe and smiling. He was ready to move in to this dump after seeing the back yard

Lovely BB. Just lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Lovely BB. Just lovely.
    Thank you

Basically it's one big concrete slab with a TINY area of actual ground. It was all filled in with sand at one point, probably to cut down on weeds, but one night I was up until 2am shoveling the sand out enough to make it workable garden fodder. It took about 3 bags of soil to mix in with the sand left over to make it so anything would grow. Just for that one little area. I SO WISH we could afford growing boxes, but we can't. They would go great in the side yard with the tomatoes and herbs, but they're expensive so I stick to whatever will grow in this tiny bit of land and in containers. Tomatoes are perfect for containers so that's mainly what we focus on, but now I'm so happy to see other stuff actually taking to what we've done. Exciting stuff.

The shit that excites you when you get old

I decided to try some new flowers this year so I added calla, Asian, double tiger and tiger lilies to my beds. The white callas shot up, but the purple ones are just starting to grow. I hope they make it. One of the other lilies is about to bloom-not sure which one it is. I added hostas to my shady caladium area. I planted two different red rose bushes. So far they are hanging in there but haven't grown. I am still waiting on my bird of paradise plants and all my other irises (besides the one earlier in this forum) to bloom.

I love it! Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I love it! Beautiful.
    Thanks! I want to do a vegetable garden like you did too, I just haven't gotten around to it...yet.

Thread Information