Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sherry Arnold (43) left her home for a pre-dawn run and never returned

Quote Originally Posted by wmdeeznuts View Post
    Yes, an airhorn would work great. Could even work as a weapon. Some guy grabs you, then you stick the airhorn up to his ear....that's gonna' suck for him.
    Artemis, get an air horn! They're only a dollar at the dollar store:-)

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    WTF, I manage to leave my house unarmed multiple times every day of my life and am yet to be murdered. I MUST HAVE THE WINNING FORMULA.
    You don't do much jogging on desolate trails in the woods do you? I've never worried about V jogging in the neighborhood or driving around shopping either.

I think it probably is a good idea to have some kind of protection if you're jogging alone on trails. I doubt an air horn would do shit, I have one for the boat, it's loud as shit but I don't see that stopping a person or making people want to respond. "Wow, it's a horn, lets go check it out!" . Plus they are too big and cumbersome. Pepper spray or something to that effect is probably your best bet.

Mianlynb's story was spoooky as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    You don't do much jogging on desolate trails in the woods do you? I've never worried about V jogging in the neighborhood or driving around shopping either.

I think it probably is a good idea to have some kind of protection if you're jogging alone on trails. I doubt an air horn would do shit, I have one for the boat, it's loud as shit but I don't see that stopping a person or making people want to respond. "Wow, it's a horn, lets go check it out!" . Plus they are too big and cumbersome. Pepper spray or something to that effect is probably your best bet.

You can get a pocket sized air horn from the dollar store for a buck. I wasn't insinuating that people would hear the horn and come to your rescue. My thought was to deter the predator whether it be an animal or a human. Those things are loud. I have a cop friend that gave me the pepper spray off of his belt. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to check your state to see what is legal to carry. As far as, pepper spray, tasers, batons, etc. When I moved to Maryland, my brother wanted to get me something (I forget what it is now) and when he looked at the state law, what ever it was he wanted to get me was illegal to carry in Maryland. I should ask him what it was.
    I remember, years ago, Kroger was giving out free whistles to women to put around their neck. Not that it would deter a mountain lion, but it would draw attention to you if you were in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    You can get a pocket sized air horn from the dollar store for a buck. I wasn't insinuating that people would hear the horn and come to your rescue. My thought was to deter the predator whether it be an animal or a human. Those things are loud. I have a cop friend that gave me the pepper spray off of his belt. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to check your state to see what is legal to carry. As far as, pepper spray, tasers, batons, etc. When I moved to Maryland, my brother wanted to get me something (I forget what it is now) and when he looked at the state law, what ever it was he wanted to get me was illegal to carry in Maryland. I should ask him what it was.
    I remember, years ago, Kroger was giving out free whistles to women to put around their neck. Not that it would deter a mountain lion, but it would draw attention to you if you were in a public place.

I just don't see it deterring a human. Mine is used for signalling other vessels.

You're right, shooting air at them is not as effective as shooting lead, but it's true that it might scare them off if they think that it's drawing attention..
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

My dad was a mailman and always gave us girls this spray that all mailmen carry for dogs. I think it's legal in every state and would do pretty much the same as mace, at least buy enough time to get away.

I just don't see it deterring a human. Mine is used for signalling other vessels.

Try it sometime. It will scare your wife and you will be in the dog house

Quote Originally Posted by debk589 View Post
    My dad was a mailman and always gave us girls this spray that all mailmen carry for dogs. I think it's legal in every state and would do pretty much the same as mace, at least buy enough time to get away.
    But, does it work on mountain lions.

This is it, anyone can get it / carry it. http://www.macemuzzle.com/

But, does it work on mountain lions.
    HA!!! Probably! Hopefully I'll never have to find out! :)

Mountain lions are notoriously people-shy and really only attack if they either feel their territory is threatened, they're kind of rabid, etc. It's a pretty rare occurrence. But unfortunately, they don't like, come out and stare at you before attacking. They just pop out of the bushes. Cats are great predators.

Yea, I have a mace thing that is small and convenient. An air horn would be too big. That was my deal when my brother sent me his old baton. I'm like, "Uh. What the..." Way too big and it weighs 20 lbs.

It was. It reminded me of this jogger last year who had something similar happen. I read about it in the news. A car followed her, tried to get her to stop, then pulled in a driveway to block her path. When he got out she maced his face and called the po-po from a neighbors. Spooky.

Cats spook me out even if they're shy. If I saw one, I know I'd panic, but I'm probably more scared of rattlesnakes. I encounter them fairly often during the summer.

If you saw a mountain lion, you'd be fucked. You don't see one until they're going to eat your face.

Two of my classmates saw one a last fall. It just stared at them from a distance.

Did a mountain lion attack Sherry??? Why are we fixating on big cat attacks? That shit like never happens.

I think I derailed another thread with talk of wildcats. Sorry! I don't even know why. I am fixated.

Try it sometime. It will scare your wife and you will be in the dog house
    Trust me my son has found it a couple times. The one time I needed to use it I didn't. Some drunk lady bumped into my sailboat with her power boat as we were leaving the marina, she was right there, we were screaming at her, and she was oblivious. Crazy. She had to have been on pills or something. People on the other forum berated me for not using my horn. Only time I ever called 911 on another boater. She had a kid with her and was obviously wasted. 911 wanted me to come back in and file the report, I was like fuck that, I'm sailing and drinking beer. Now I keep my trusty horn in my cockpit.

Did a mountain lion attack Sherry??? Why are we fixating on big cat attacks? That shit like never happens.
    No a human, and I don't believe an air horn would've saved her.

No a human, and I don't believe an air horn would've saved her.
    Unlikely.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Unlikely.
    It would sound like a football game in the woods!

It would sound like a football game in the woods!
    If an airhorn goes off in the forest, would it make a sound?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Trust me my son has found it a couple times.
    I always joke about testing my mace out on the girls and Sheldon.

I was like fuck that, I'm sailing and drinking beer.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    If an airhorn goes off in the forest, would it make a sound?
    If color is derived by the spectrum of light and its interaction with light receptors in the eye, does color exist when it's dark, or if you aren't looking at it? No, right?

I think these questions might cross over into philosophy shit. Too hard for my pee brain to comprehend.

If I was committing a felony, and was trying to be slick and get away with it, the last thing I would want is an airhorn going off. All it would take is ONE person looking over in the direction the noise came from and seeing someone being accosted, then it's just a matter of a cellphone call to the police.

If I was committing a felony, and was trying to be slick and get away with it, the last thing I would want is an airhorn going off. All it would take is ONE person looking over in the direction the noise came from and seeing someone being accosted, then it's just a matter of a cellphone call to the police.
    Sweetie. The place where this happened? There aren't a lot of people. The population density for Richland County is 5 people per square mile. An airhorn could blow all day and the dear wouldn't do a damn thing. And even if there was someone around who would call the cops, they'd have to drive to town to get cell service, and then it'd probably take the sheriff quite a while to get out there, always assuming he thought a blowing horn was worth responding to.

Thread Information