Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Time Breastfeeding Pic on Time Magazine Stirs Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Also what about the pumps? Don't women pump and then put it in bottles for when they go out? Isn't that easier when you're out in public?
    Avi has had two bottles his whole life. Some babies don't and won't drink out of bottles. Should a woman pump for an hour so that you don't have to turn your head?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    Once again, no one said anything about not feeding the baby. You assumed that's what was being said.
    Well what else is she supposed to do? Not go out? Put a blanket over the baby's head? I don't get it.

I don't get the having a kid thing in this regard. What does that matter? For example, if someone without a kid is annoyed with horrible/fussy kids when they are out to eat, does that mean their opinion will change about this when they have one?
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    I don't get the having a kid thing in this regard. What does that matter? For example, if someone without a kid is annoyed with horrible/fussy kids when they are out to eat, does that mean their opinion will change about this when they have one?
    I still get annoyed by kids, I'm just more empathetic. I have no tolerance for my babies crying in restaurants, so we rarely go out and if we do we are armed with massive amounts of distractions and crayons, lots of crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha_XO View Post
    Should a woman pump for an hour so that you don't have to turn your head?
    No

It is incredibly uncomfortable to try to nurse a newborn or any baby in public, but life goes on. .
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    How is it egocentric when TFD gives her opinion on what she doesn't want to see, but not egocentric for a mother to say "I'm doing this and I don't care what others think"?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    I have no idea. I don't make predictions about how people will parent in the future. I never thought I would breastfeed a 2 year old and look at me now. Like I said earlier, your opinions will change as you have kids. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but it will change.

I'm not getting through, like I said earlier, your statements are incredibly egocentric. If seeing a little bit of nipple ruins your day, I wish I had your life.
    I have the right to be egocentric. I don't have any obligations outside of my personal relationships and my job. A little nip doesn't ruin my day Again, you're projecting on how I feel and being purposely combative.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

I don't think we are making any progress here.

One side thinks it is gross and annoying, the other side thinks it isn't.

I will say this. Say it's just a sloppy titty with milk coming out of it. Im sure we can agree that is gross. I don't see why adding a baby to it makes it less gross. Like say Alicia Silverstone chews up baby food and spits it out into the trash can. Pretty gross right? But now it's ok because she spits it into her baby's mouth?

I guess ultimately I'm not quite sure what's gross about women's boobs. I was under the impression they're generally liked.

I guess ultimately I'm not quite sure what's gross about women's boobs. I was under the impression they're generally liked.
    Come on now.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

What about women who work full time? I know plenty of women who have no choice BUT to pump because they work. They even have a private office in our buildings for that purpose that is locked when not in use.

I personally would have a hard time BF because I have inverted nipples and have already been told it'll be a task, plus I'm not sure that I would be able to have work off for 2+ years to give the kid the boob at will.

I never get into these convos because I'm a bit bitter towards woman who poo poo women who HAVE to use formula.

Personal story about BF in public. We were taking the train to Chicago and I was staring at this woman who was on the lower level with out meaning to stare. I was just zoned out. When I finally paid attention, I realized she was breastfeeding and she gave me the NASTIEST look for looking at her. I was instantly mortified and felt uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure she went on to tell her friends/family about the creep on the train who was staring at her while breastfeeding.

Andrea..

Quote Originally Posted by andrea0121 View Post
    What about women who work full time? I know plenty of women who have no choice BUT to pump because they work. They even have a private office in our buildings for that purpose that is locked when not in use.

I personally would have a hard time BF because I have inverted nipples and have already been told it'll be a task, plus I'm not sure that I would be able to have work off for 2+ years to give the kid the boob at will.

I never get into these convos because I'm a bit bitter towards woman who poo poo women who HAVE to use formula.

Personal story about BF in public. We were taking the train to Chicago and I was staring at this woman who was on the lower level with out meaning to stare. I was just zoned out. When I finally paid attention, I realized she was breastfeeding and she gave me the NASTIEST look for looking at her. I was instantly mortified and felt uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure she went on to tell her friends/family about the creep on the train who was staring at her while breastfeeding.
    I have three friends that work full time, they stayed home for three months time and then gradually gave their babies bottles as their postpartum leave came to a close. They continued/continue to nurse when they are not at work. It's not an all or nothing situation. I personally never "poo poo" someone who HAS to use formula, I used formula with Millie because I had ZERO support and listened to awful advice, one nurse told me I had to use a nipple shield because my nipples are "flat", totally wrong. Be careful who you get your advice from. Most women have the ability to breastfeed but are cockblocked by bad advice and no support. It's not on their shoulders, it's on society's.

man, the pump didn't work for me. nothing really worked i just couldn't bf. it only lasted 5 months with my oldest and 2 weeks with my youngest. i even took some herb that was supposed to help produce milk. but even if i was able to, i don't think i could do it publicly. i wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.

i think i've mentioned it before but there was this girl at a restaurant we were at. we were either leaving or waiting to be seated....that really doesn't matter to the story, but anyway, we were in the lobby area and she takes out her breast to feed her daughter, and started staring at all of us around her with squinted eyes like she wished a muthafucka would. i don't know if its bc she has gotten something said/done to her in the past or if it was some passive aggressive stuff. /cool story bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

I have three friends that work full time, they stayed home for three months time and then gradually gave their babies bottles as their postpartum leave came to a close. They continued/continue to nurse when they are not at work. It's not an all or nothing situation. I personally never "poo poo" someone who HAS to use formula, I used formula with Millie because I had ZERO support and listened to awful advice, one nurse told me I had to use a nipple shield because my nipples are "flat", totally wrong. Be careful who you get your advice from. Most women have the ability to breastfeed but are cockblocked by bad advice and no support. It's not on their shoulders, it's on society's.
    I went out and bought these Advent nipple puller outer thingies that I seriously would wear for nights on end after being told (mind you, I was NO WHERE near having or even entertaining the thought of having kids) that I had inverted nipples and if I had kids it would be hard for them to latch on. Issues, I has them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea0121 View Post
    I went out and bought these Advent nipple puller outer thingies that I seriously would wear for nights on end after being told (mind you, I was NO WHERE near having or even entertaining the thought of having kids) that I had inverted nipples and if I had kids it would be hard for them to latch on. Issues, I has them.
    Lol that's adorable!
    When you do get pregnant and have that baby, there's a ton of good advice out there about what to do with flat nipples, it's not a huge issue, just a bit of a pain at first while you get the hang of it. A lactation consultant/counselor will be your bff.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    It was horrible when I breastfed. I was a 20-year-old college sophomore...who did not miss one day of school the semester I had my baby...and I'm sure you guys have all heard my horror story about leaking in class and how mortified and devastated I was.

I pumped from the time I got up- an hour and a half; a 20-min break between classes; for 2 hours after class. My life was hard. It was SO HARD to breastfeed. I get that a lot of moms can't do it. I couldn't. I wish I would have breastfed longer, as it is, hands down, the best thing for the baby. No question. And since that's the case, I really side-eye anyone who would look at me, pumping (as discreetly as possible...you need an outlet) in a college bathroom, or look at someone else, breastfeeding on a park bench (whatever), and be like- "I am grossed out. This offends me." Cuz the issue there is obvvv not with us. Bitch, get over yourself.

Also: sorority girls will take everything. EVERYTHING. My roommate and I bought milk, pulled the label off, and wrote TARA'S BREAST MILK in permanent marker. Some bitches still janked that shit.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    It was horrible when I breastfed. I was a 20-year-old college sophomore...who did not miss one day of school the semester I had my baby...and I'm sure you guys have all heard my horror story about leaking in class and how mortified and devastated I was.

I pumped from the time I got up- an hour and a half; a 20-min break between classes; for 2 hours after class. My life was hard. It was SO HARD to breastfeed. I get that a lot of moms can't do it. I couldn't. I wish I would have breastfed longer, as it is, hands down, the best thing for the baby. No question. And since that's the case, I really side-eye anyone who would look at me, pumping (as discreetly as possible...you need an outlet) in a college bathroom, or look at someone else, breastfeeding on a park bench (whatever), and be like- "I am grossed out. This offends me." Cuz the issue there is obvvv not with us. Bitch, get over yourself.

Also: sorority girls will take everything. EVERYTHING. My roommate and I bought milk, pulled the label off, and wrote TARA'S BREAST MILK in permanent marker. Some bitches still janked that shit.
    That is seriously disturbing.

Also, I would never fucking confront someone about breastfeeding. The only thing I am saying is that I'd rather not see it. That's it!

That is seriously disturbing.

Also, I would never fucking confront someone about breastfeeding. The only thing I am saying is that I'd rather not see it. That's it!
    It is, but I'm sure they didn't believe it was breast milk. Sorority girls will stop at nothing to get their five food groups: milk, "fresh fruit," salad, white zin, PIE PIE PIE PIE CAKE PIE DOUGHNUTS. Then barf it all up. No shit talk; first person account. It's how I got to the point where I produced breast milk in the first place.

I'm sure you wouldn't, and I'm not really annoyed with you in this conversation, tbh. My WTF lies with TFD (I just died a little typing that) and the fact that a woman feeding her child makes her feel inconvenienced. I like TFD so I'm not really talking shit. I'm just super side-eying her side-eye, and likening it to the fact that CVS was out of the nail polish I wanted to buy today.

It is, but I'm sure they didn't believe it was breast milk. Sorority girls will stop at nothing to get their five food groups: milk, "fresh fruit," salad, white zin, PIE PIE PIE PIE CAKE PIE DOUGHNUTS. Then barf it all up. No shit talk; first person account. It's how I got to the point where I produced breast milk in the first place.

I'm sure you wouldn't, and I'm not really annoyed with you in this conversation, tbh. My WTF lies with TFD (I just died a little typing that) and the fact that a woman feeding her child makes her feel inconvenienced. I like TFD so I'm not really talking shit. I'm just super side-eying her side-eye, and likening it to the fact that CVS was out of the nail polish I wanted to buy today.
    No, it makes me uncomfortable if I see bare breast. A woman feeding her child where I may trip or run into her would make me inconvenienced. And that was only brought up because Chauncy said something about it. You guys have basically twisted around what I originally said.

See, I think that's what the whole argument here is about.

The people who don't like looking at BF are expressing it here. And we're doing that since we express it NO WHERE ELSE. We don't side-eye, or stare, or even say anything. We just don't care for it. That's why when we say it here, we don't understand why people are like YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT! YOU WANT BABIES TO STARVE, DON'T YOU!?!?!

Just say "Oh, I understand. You don't care to see it."

and then we move on.

ETA: Sorry about the nail polish. That is pretty rough.

No, it makes me uncomfortable if I see bare breast. A woman feeding her child where I may trip or run into her would make me inconvenienced. And that was only brought up because Chauncy said something about it. You guys have basically twisted around what I originally said.
    And, again, aside from the Target protest, which you admittedly had no involvement with- how has breastfeeding negatively affected you? Besides having brought about some feelings of discomfort (which I, and many women here, admittedly don't understand)?

Most women have breasts, TFD. It's nothing you should feel uncomfortable about. That said, a) Please don't group me with Chauncy, thank you and good day; b) I don't think anything got twisted here, except maybe your panties.

See, I think that's what the whole argument here is about.

The people who don't like looking at BF are expressing it here. And we're doing that since we express it NO WHERE ELSE. We don't side-eye, or stare, or even say anything. We just don't care for it. That's why when we say it here, we don't understand why people are like YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT! YOU WANT BABIES TO STARVE, DON'T YOU!?!?!

Just say "Oh, I understand. You don't care to see it."

and then we move on.

ETA: Sorry about the nail polish. That is pretty rough.
    Oh, I get that, for sure. It's when people complain about being inconvenienced that I actually start to give a shit.

And thank you. I had a $10 CVS credit and they were out of my color. THAT, my friend, is inconvenience.

And, again, aside from the Target protest, which you admittedly had no involvement with- how has breastfeeding negatively affected you? Besides having brought about some feelings of discomfort (which I, and many women here, admittedly don't understand)?

Most women have breasts, TFD. It's nothing you should feel uncomfortable about. That said, a) Please don't group me with Chauncy, thank you and good day; b) I don't think anything got twisted here, except maybe your panties.
    I didn't group you with Chauncy. You said that a woman feeding her child makes me inconvenienced. I pointed out that this, was in fact false. Seeing boob does not inconvenience me but merely makes me uncomforable. I was using the Target example about how some women choose to not think or care if they are in the way of people and this would be an asshole move no matter what you are doing. The only reason it was brought up was in response to something Chauncy said. This is either twisting or misunderstanding what I wrote.

Do you not read what I write? I DO NOT CARE IF WOMEN BREASTFEED IN PUBLIC. I am uncomfortable with seeing exposed breasts. Is this going to change anything? No. Are women going to cover up more? No. So I am supposed to all of a sudden be comfortable because you tell me to? No.

And yeah, if anyone plops their ass down in any public area where you are inconveniencing other people, then you're an asshole. Whether it's tying your shoe, eating your lunch, reading a book, or breastfeeding a kid. Once again just because someone breastfeeds, it does not make them be immune from being an asshole. You don't get a free fucking pass.
    This is my original. Do I anywhere in that post say a woman simply breastfeeding her child inconveniences me? No, but I did say if someone sits in an area that can cause other people to run into them then they are.
    Last edited by TheFavoriteDaughter; 05-14-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Unfortunately, I am going to say that the problem with being uncomfortable over women's breasts is the problem of the person with this phobia. Particularly when that breast is being utilized in the most natural way possible as opposed to just being someone with they tittays out.

Thread Information