Thread: Kylie Blackwood, (42) killed in a vicious attack

Kylie Blackwood, (42) killed in a vicious attack

Twin sisters have been left traumatised after finding the body of their mother who was killed in a vicious attack in their Victorian family home.

Kylie Blackwood, 42, was killed some time on Thursday in the house in Melbourne's outer south east while her 11-year-old daughters and 13-year-old son were at school.

Homicide Squad Detective Inspector John Potter said it was possible she had disturbed a burglar.

"The woman has been the subject of a vicious attack in her own home," Det Insp Potter said.

The twin girls alerted a neighbour who then called police and paramedics, but Ms Blackwood, who reportedly works in a nearby women's clothing store, could not be saved.

7News understands Ms Blackwood's husband - a local real estate agent - arrived at the McCaffery Rise home in Pakenham with the couple's teenage son a short time afterwards.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry at the house, but the garage door was left up, allowing access to the property.

Homicide and forensic detectives have seized items, including a computer hard-drive from the house in the search for clues, but police say the family has no known enemies.

Police are yet to release details about the Ms Blackwood's injuries, and are waiting for results of a postmortem to determine an exact cause of death.

Det Insp Potter said he didn't know if a weapon had been used.

Police have urged members of the public to come forward with any information they may have.

"We interested in speaking to anyone who may have witnessed suspicious activity in the area and surrounding streets during school hours on Thursday or in the days preceding the woman's death," a Victoria Police statement said.

Ms Blackwood's death has rocked the small local community.

"They were a lovely family, always polite and friendly," one neighbour said.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/...pakenham-home/

RIP Kylie
    Last edited by luvit; 08-03-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Changed Photo

Prowler clue in murder of mother Kylie Blackwood

A WITNESS has told police he saw a suspicious man "casing" the home of slain mother Kylie Blackwood hours before her twin daughters found her dead.

The witness - a tradesman working nearby - later said he saw the same man running down the street with "something like a parcel" under his arm.

A neighbour has also told detectives she heard screams come from the family home.

Mrs Blackwood's 11-year-old twins found her on the lounge when returning to their McCaffery Rise home in Pakenham after school on Thursday.

Neighbour Hanadi Fahd wiped away tears as she told the Herald Sun of how the terrified girls ran into her home screaming "mummy is bleeding".

"The girls are very good friends with my children," she said.

"They had just come home from school.

"I ran over there and when I went inside I saw her just sitting there on the lounge like she was watching TV.

"I stayed with her and kept rubbing her leg and telling her she'd be all right and that the ambulance was on its way.

But there was so much blood. She was already gone."

Ms Fahd, 41, said paramedics arrived about 4pm. Mrs Blackwood had suffered horrific injuries to her hands, face and torso, believed to be from a knife.

Family friend Jamie Ryder, who lives three houses away, said the usually quiet suburban street would never be the same.

"No one can wrap their minds around what has happened to be quite honest," he said.

"They are just the most beautiful, friendly people. We're in disbelief that this has happened to them.

"My heart really goes out to the family."

A tradesman working at Mr Ryder's house could hold the key to police finding Mrs Blackwood's killer.

He was having lunch in his car parked at the top of McCaffrey Rise when he saw a man acting suspicious on the street about 11.30am.

The tradie returned to work, but then recalled to police how he noticed Mrs Blackwood's black SUV return home soon after.

She reportedly opened the garage door and parked the car inside, before going to a wheelie bin in the driveway, and going inside.

The next glance down the street from the young tradesman saw the suspicious man "high tailing it out of the court" and turning left onto Balmoral Way, towards Eagle Drive.

He said the man appeared to be carrying something under his arm.

Another neighbour told police she heard screams shortly after 10am.

Cardinia Shire councillor Kate Lempriere said the Blackwood family had been Pakenham community linchpins for generations.

Cr Lempriere, whose family has a legal firm next-door to the Blackwood's real estate agency, said the tragedy had shocked the area.

"They're a wonderful family," Cr Lempriere said.

"They put into the community. It's just horrific. The sooner it is solved the better."

The former mayor said Mrs Blackwood was well-liked and respected.

"She always seemed bright and sparkling and full of life," Cr Lempriere said.

As neighbours and friends left flowers on the Blackwood family's doorstep, five homicide detectives scoured the area, doorknocking homes in hope of finding crucial information that could help lead them to her killer.

Police said on Friday they had found nothing in Mrs Blackwood's background that offered any motive for the murder.

Mrs Blackwood's husband, Peter, and their children were last night staying with family.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226690738195

RIP Kylie
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

This is such a horrible story. I've got a 13 yr old boy & 10 & 11 yr old daughters. Kylie was my age exactly. I don't want to think about how those little girls are feeling. Just losing their Mum is bad enough, but to find her like that?

Mum's anguish at daughter's death

THE mother of slain Pakenham woman Kylie Blackwood has paid tribute to her daughter, who was found dead in her home four days ago.

3. TOM MINEAR HERALD SUN AUGUST 04, 2013 8:00PM

THE mother of slain Pakenham woman Kylie Blackwood has paid tribute to her daughter, who was found dead in her home four days ago.

Still reeling from shock, Mrs Blackwood's mother, Edie Whitta, thanked the community for its support.

She also urged anyone with information about her daughter's death to come forward and help police find the killer.

Well-wishers yesterday left floral tributes outside the McCaffery Rise home she shared with her husband Peter, the owner of Harcourts Pakenham.

The 42-year-old was found on her lounge on Thursday afternoon by her 11-year-old twins. The couple also have a 13-year-old son.

Neighbours have told how the terrified girls ran for help, but were too late to save her.

Mrs Whitta said her family appreciated the generosity and kindness of the community as they grieved for Mrs Blackwood, who worked at a nearby clothing store.

She said she hoped someone had information that could assist detectives investigating the death.

"We do hope that they find this person," Mrs Whitta said. "If anyone knows anything, please come forward and give that information to police."

Mrs Whitta said her family and Peter's relatives had rallied together as they tried to come to terms with the tragedy.

Shocked friends and neighbours have paid tribute to Mrs Blackwood, described as well-liked and respected.

A tradesman told police he saw a suspicious-looking man leave her home on Thursday afternoon. He appeared to be carrying something.

Neighbour Hanadi Fahd wiped away tears as she told the Herald Sun of how the terrified girls ran into her home screaming "mummy is bleeding"...Ms Fahd, 41, said paramedics arrived about 4pm. Mrs Blackwood had suffered horrific injuries to her hands, face and torso, believed to be from a knife.
    Prowler clue in murder of mother Kylie Blackwood

Twins of slain woman Kylie Blackwood farewell their mother in tearful tribute as police continue to investigate
    TWIN girls who found their mother dead have bravely spoken of their heartbreak before hundreds of mourners at her funeral.

Kylie Blackwood was slain inside her home in McCaffrey Rise, Pakenham, on August 1, and her killer remains at large.

Her 11-year old daughters, Mia and Holly, made the grisly discovery on coming home from school.

Yesterday they joined brother Chase, 13, and father Peter in paying tribute to their mum.

Mourners huddled outside listening to the service through loudspeakers as wind and rain swept St Patrick's Church in Pakenham.

The girls spoke of a generous and understanding mum who held their hands on shopping trips, who always knew how to make them smile.

Family members follow the coffin after Kylie Blackwood's funeral

Their words at one point brought laughter from mourners amid the tears.
    Chase, who has been "a rock" to his father since the tragedy, did what no 13-year-old should have to in delivering a eulogy for his mum.

"I loved going out when it was just you and me," he said. "You cared and helped me even over the littlest of things.

"When I saw your smile mum, it made me smile.

"You always knew how to cheer me up and how to make me feel happy."

Doves are handed out to the relatives and released at the funeral of Kylie Blackwood

Fighting back his tears, the brave teenager paused just once before insisting that he finish what he had begun.

"You are so beautiful, mum, and you will always be in everyone's hearts, especially mine.

"I know that you are at peace now and safe," he said.

"There is not a bad photo of you. You look beautiful in every single one ...

"Rest in peace, mummy. I love you so much and always will," he said.
    Mr Blackwood spoke of his wife of 15 years as though he were a man who had only just fallen in love.

"Kylie (was) a happy, talkative, positive person ... I think I was batting above my average," he said.

He said she loved holidays, fashion and jewellery and was an expert shopper.

Praising her as a mother, he said: "I'll take the baton now. You will stay in my heart forever and ever.

"I love you. I will miss you," he said.

It was reported last night that police had interviewed a hoodie-wearing man witnesses reported as lurking near the crime scene and "all but" discounted him as a suspect.

Seven News said the man had given a credible explanation as to why he was in McCaffrey Rise on the afternoon of the murder, and had told police he believed he was on a bus at the critical time.

Her husband, Peter Blackwood, reflected on a recent happy family break on the Gold Coast and how she never wanted to return from holidays.

He said he would dearly missing the woman he described as an immaculate dresser with a love of shopping.

Mr Blackwood recalled how he met Kylie when they were young and working in a hotel.

Cars were parked hundreds of metres along the Princes Highway as mourners streamed into St Patrick's Church.

Uniformed police were also outside the church.

Mum's death clue

Police investigating Mrs Blackwood's murder have heard from a witness who said he saw a man lurking outside her home just minutes before she was killed.

The witness, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, said a hooded man had waited for Mrs Blackwood to return to her home before entering the house.

The witness said he watched the man walk directly to the 42-year-old's McCaffrey Rise home about 15 minutes before she arrived.

The next time he saw the man was about 20 minutes after Mrs Blackwood returned home.

The witness claimed he saw the man rushing down the street away from Mrs Blackwood's home.

He said he had provided a detailed description of the man and helped create a sketch.

The Herald Sun has chosen not to publish a further description of the man at the request of police.

Homicide squad Det-Insp John Potter last week said it was possible the man was not involved in the murder.

But he could not be ruled out until he had been interviewed by detectives.

Mrs Blackwood was killed between noon and 3.40pm on August 1.

Her body was found by her twin 11-year-old daughters who ran to a neighbour's house for help.

Police have said the man was seen about noon walking along McCaffrey Rise near the Blackwood family home.

He has been described as wearing a grey, striped hooded top, dark trousers, a black cap and sunglasses.

Police are continuing to search for CCTV footage from surrounding streets, in the hope the killer may have been caught on video.

Det-Insp Potter last week refused to rule out that the sickening attack was the result of a burglary gone wrong, but could not say if anything had been stolen.

Sources said Mrs Blackwood's devastated husband, real estate agent Peter Blackwood, has told police he believed nothing had been taken.

Police refused to comment on the claims yesterday and maintained the investigation was continuing "as previously indicated".

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226695158508

Those poor poor girls. I cannot imagine walking in to find the lady who has loved them, nurtured them, made them happy, dead. I wish I could just hug them and her son. I wish them and their father strength.

RIP Kylie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Kylie

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-0...elayed/8486760

The family of Melbourne mother Kylie Blackwood, who was killed four years ago, will be forced to wait another seven months for her alleged murderer to face a committal hearing, after his lawyer was granted more time to prepare his case.

Scott Alan Murdoch, 38, was due to face a committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today, more than a year after he was arrested over the Packenham woman's death.

He's charged with murdering the 42-year-old, whose body was discovered by her twin daughters at their home in 2013.

In an unexpected and costly setback, Murdoch's defence barrister, Jason Galluci, was granted a seven-month adjournment to subpoena unredacted versions of DNA reports from the prosecution.

Prosecutor Kerri Judd QC told the court she was "extremely unhappy" about the "inappropriate" delay in the case.

She said Murdoch's defence had been put on notice that parts of the document would be redacted and would need to be subpoenaed as early as August last year.

Mr Galluci agreed it was unacceptable and entirely his fault but said he was the third counsel to be engaged by Murdoch.

The court heard a pathologist had been flown from New Zealand to give evidence this week.

Ms Blackwood's family didn't comment as they left the court.

Murdoch denies he's responsible for the murder.

He'll return to court for a committal hearing in December.

Updates we missed last year

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...b97945e01e9365

April 9, 2016 11:45am
    A MAN charged over the murder of Kylie Blackwood has failed in his attempt to speed up the courts after being arrested at the end of a near three-year hunt for the mother of three?s killer.

Scott Alan Murdoch, 38, faced an out of sessions hearing on Friday afternoon at Victoria Police?s Spencer St headquarters over the chilling crime.

Scott Alan Murdoch, 38, from Morwell, has been charged with one count of murder over the death of Kylie Blackwood. Picture Supplied
    He is charged with one count of murder.

This morning authorities confirmed Mr Murdoch would face a the Melbourne Magistrates? Court by videolink on Tuesday

Melbourne magistrate Alan Spillane was advised the Morwell man, 38, would not be brought up from custody during the brief hearing this morning.

Mr Spillane heard there were no custody management issues and no application for bail was made.

The court appearance follows a lengthy police investigation after Ms Blackwood was found dead in her McCaffery Rise home in Pakenham by her twin daughters, 11, at 3.40pm on August 1, 2013.

The arrest came just a day after the release of CCTV footage of a suspicious car seen just metres from Ms Blackwood?s Pakenham home the day she was killed.

Homicide Squad detectives swung into action yesterday, arresting Mr Murdoch at Rowville in Melbourne?s southeast.

He was taken to Crime Command headquarters in Melbourne where an out-of-sessions hearing was held just after 5pm.

Asked by the bail justice if he understood why he was at the hearing he said: ?Let?s get this over with?.

The Herald Sun understands Mr Murdoch is known to police.

Kylie Blackwood was found dead by her 11-year-old twin daughters.
    The Dandenong-born father of two, who married but later separated, was dressed in a green Everlast T-shirt, blue jeans and wore white socks with no shoes.

When the bail justice asked if he had any medical conditions he replied he was diabetic.

Mr Murdoch left school to be an apprentice floor tiler but never completed it and went on to work as a plasterer.

It?s understood intermittent drug usage was a major reason in the breakdown of Mr Murdoch?s marriage and he has struggled with periods of depression through his adulthood.

His parents, a father who worked as a martial arts teacher and mother who worked as a medical secretary, separated when Mr Murdoch was 15, later divorced and repartnered.

The arrest follows a long-running investigation into the death of 42-year-old Ms Blackwood, who was found dead in her home in McCaffery Rise by her twin 11-year-old daughters when they returned from school at 3.40pm on August 1, 2013.

The case is expected to raise further questions over legal system failings.

Police on Thursday released CCTV footage of a distinctive late-model Nissan Tiida with a rear spoiler seen near the Blackwood?s home.

There are about 900 such vehicles across Victoria but at the time of Ms Blackwood?s death just 30 owners in Pakenham where she lived.

These were to be the initial focus of detectives following the new lead.

A digital image of a man wearing a striped hooded top was also released as part of the renewed bid for justice.

Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Mick Hughes told the Herald Sun: ?We?re coming for you ? that?s the message to this offender.?

It was believed Ms Blackwood?s killer gained access to her home through a raise garage door about noon, around the time the car was seen in the area.

It was spotted leaving the area a short time later.

It was believed the killer attempted to use Ms Blackwood?s bank card to withdraw money from an ATM in Main St, Pakenham, between 12.30 and 2.30pm the day she died.

But in a blow CCTV of the man was erased before homicide investigators could review it.

Police have said they think the murder was the result of a burglary gone wrong.

Ms Blackwood?s husband, Peter, set up a foundation in her name who he has remembered as ?beautiful darling wife and best friend?.

The pair also had a son.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...c69af094722071

Kylie Blackwood was found dead by her 11-year-old twin daughters.

DNA of Kylie Blackwood?s alleged killer, Scott Alan Murdoch, has been found on her clothing

Angus Thompson, Herald Sun
    August 16, 2016 12:05pm

THE DNA of Kylie Blackwood?s alleged killer, Scott Alan Murdoch, has been found on her clothing, a court has heard.

The evidence is expected to join forensic analysis of the Pakenham mother?s computer and witness statements in the prosecution case against the accused man.

Mr Murdoch, 38, is in custody charged with murdering Ms Blackwood, 42, who was found in her home by her 11-year-old twin daughters at 3.40pm on August 1, 2013.

Mr Murdoch?s arrest came after police released CCTV footage of a white vehicle seen in the area around the time of the incident.

Melbourne Magistrate Peter Reardon heard items from the scene of Mrs Blackwood?s death had been submitted for analysis in a national DNA database.

A time extension has been sought by prosecutors due to a delay in the processing of a fresh DNA sample from Mr Murdoch taken after his arrest in April.

Mr Reardon heard evidence showing Mrs Blackwood using her computer shortly before her death was relevant to the prosecution case.

Mr Murdoch was not present in court and will appear via video-link on August 30.

Members of Mrs Blackwood?s family were in Melbourne Magistrates? Court for the brief proceedings.

So this man they arrested- was he the same man that the tradesman saw & said was acting suspicious? Or a different person altogether? And the clue that led authorities to the man they arrested was the Nissan?
    Also-
    A tradesman = a guy you hire to come work on your house? Like a painter or plumber? (another Aussie-American colloquialism convo question!)
    The expressions on the faces of her husband & children as they're leaving her funeral are DEVASTATING. Especially the two girls. They look so lost, so bereft. God give them all strength.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Bradley Cooper.

Nailed it.

God, I'll miss his movies when he's locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    Bradley Cooper.

Nailed it.

God, I'll miss his movies when he's locked up.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-0...s-show/9223608

A Melbourne man accused of murdering Kylie Blackwood in August 2013 asked his ex-partner to provide an alibi for his movements, court documents show.

A committal hearing against Scott Alan Murdoch, 40, of Morwell has begun in Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Murdoch faces one charge of the murder of Ms Blackwood during a burglary of her home in McCaffrey Rise in Pakenham on August 1, 2013.

The court summary released to the media alleges "the accused stabbed the deceased repeatedly in the upper body causing catastrophic injuries".

Court documents allege Mr Murdoch disturbed Ms Blackwood while she was on her computer in the study and there was a confrontation.

The 42-year-old was found dead by her twin daughters in the sunroom of the family home after she failed to pick them up from school.

The documents allege Mr Murdoch rented a car in the days before which was "dumped" outside of the rental office on August 5.

That car with Mr Murdoch in it was alleged to have been seen by an ex-partner of Mr Murdoch's the day before the murder according to the documents.

The father of two is alleged to have approached another ex-partner to assist with an alibi.

Court documents show the ex-partner "asked the accused if he murdered" Ms Blackwood.

"To which the accused replied 'no but I need you to be an alibi for that day. I've been questioned for that'."

When asked why he would need an alibi, the court summary alleges he replied "because I was doing armed burgs and I want you to say I had the kids that day and I met you at 4:00pm to give the kids back".

Witness describes 'very suss looking' man

The court heard from 27-year-old roof tiler, Peter Pratt, who saw a man twice in McCaffrey Rise that day.

Mr Pratt was among a number or trade workers working at a neighbouring site.

He described the person as "very suss looking" who he first noticed as he was eating his lunch in his car.

"Someone just walking along in front of the house, looking in," he said.

The family of Kylie Blackwood outside court

PHOTO: The family of Kylie Blackwood outside court. Ms Blackwood was found dead in her home in 2013. (ABC News: Karen Percy)
    He gave police a description of the man to assist in putting together an identi-kit photo ? that he was wearing a striped or perhaps checked thick jacket, a black cap, sunglasses, and was unshaven.

A summary document of the case alleges "the accused bears a strong resemblance to the face image compiled by Pratt".

Mr Pratt told the court the man was carrying a parcel or a cardboard box in the second sighting.

Police allege Murdoch stole a credit card and cash from Ms Blackwood.

The case summary document alleges Murdoch tried and failed to take money out of Ms Blackwood's account at a nearby ATM.

Murdoch was arrested in April of last year after the face-photo compile was released to the public.

Forensic specialist Erin Pirie was questioned by Mr Murdoch's lawyers for several hours about the timing, and certainty of DNA testing, as well as how the evidence was collected.

Ms Pirie had examined clothing and other items supplied by police from the crime scene.

She testified that she took samples from Ms Blackwood's jeans which indicated a "mixed DNA profile" or signs of more than one DNA contributor.

But she told the court it was unclear if one of those contributors was male.

The court summary outlines Ms Blackwood's movements that day ? where she tried on a new pair of jeans to show her husband, did some grocery and other shopping, took her car to the carwash and tried to arrange a get together with a close friend.

Mrs Blackwood worked part time at a women's clothing store.

The hearing continues.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...aring/11993808

Daughters of Kylie Blackwood ask their mother's killer how he can call himself 'a human being'
    By court reporter Karen Percy
    Updated 24 Feb 2020, 5:53pm

RELATED STORY: More delays to hearing for man accused of murdering Melbourne mumRELATED STORY: DNA of accused killer allegedly found on Melbourne mum's clothes

The twin daughters of slain Pakenham woman Kylie Blackwood have described the distress and loss they continue to feel almost six years after her death, and the fact that she will not be at their weddings or be there for her grandchildren.

Key points:

Ms Blackwood's killer, Scott Alan Murdoch, is facing a plea hearing in the Supreme Court of Victoria

Mia and Holly Blackwood, both 17, described the trauma of finding their mother in their home when they were 11

The court was told Murdoch showed "extremely cold behaviour" in the aftermath of the killing

Ms Blackwood, 42, was stabbed multiple times at her Pakenham home in Melbourne's south-east on August 1, 2013.

Her killer, Scott Alan Murdoch, is before the Supreme Court of Victoria for a plea hearing after pleading guilty to murder.

Mia and Holly Blackwood were 11 when they came home from school and found their mother, after she had failed to collect them.

"Images I will never be able to stop seeing, of her in agony, broke my heart in a million pieces," Mia Blackwood, 17, said via a victim impact statement describing the animosity she felt towards the "heartless killer".

"It hurts so deeply. It's unfair and it's heartbreaking."

Holly Blackwood, also 17, spoke of the "most frightening and confronting" scene on that day.

"You have taken away a mother and daughter bond that no-one can replace," she told Murdoch via a victim impact statement read to the court.

"After doing what you did ? how can you call yourself a human being?"

"I hope you suffer and get what's coming to you," she said in the statement.

Both daughters spoke of their futures without their mother ? in particular their wedding days and the birth of children ? in detailing their loss.

Fourteen victim impact statements to be submitted
    Their older brother, Chase Blackwood, told the court he was a "broken person", detailing problems he has had with relationships since his mother's death.

In his victim impact statement also read in court, he described getting home from school that day to see police tape and his father in tears.

He urged Justice Jane Dixon to "bring justice to my family please".

Via a statement, their father, Peter Blackwood, spoke of the "incomprehensible" death of his children's "beautiful, doting mother" in this "despicable crime".

"No child should go through this," he said.

The children and Mr Blackwood were not in court.

Murdoch has kept his head down through most of the hearing.

A total of 14 victim impact statements are to be submitted to the court.

Scott Murdoch wears a grey jumper over his head as he is led from a prison van into court.
    PHOTO: Scott Murdoch covered his face as he was led from a prison van into the Supreme Court building for the hearing. (AAP: David Crosling)
    Court told of 'savagery' in earlier attack on 73yo woman
    The pre-sentencing hearing is also looking at another crime Murdoch committed less than three months before he killed Ms Blackwood.

Ilona Prohaska received "life-threatening injuries" when Murdoch attacked her in her Endeavour Hills home in May 2013.

She was 73 years old at the time.

Murdoch has pleaded guilty to the murder of Ms Blackwood and also intentionally causing serious injury to Ms Prohaska.

The court was told Murdoch rang the doorbell of Ms Prohaska's house, and had a knife in his hand when she answered.

He forced her down into the basement where he used a knife and a hammer to inflict deep wounds into her neck on the left and right sides.

Prosecutor Nicholas Papas referred to the "savagery of the attack" on Ms Prohaska.

"She was able to drag herself up those stairs in quite a feat of survival," he said.

Once upstairs she found her medical emergency device ? which Murdoch had thrown aside during the attack ? and alerted the authorities.

The court was told Ms Prohaska had become socially isolated.

She could no longer tolerate the sound of the church organ because of damage to her ear from the attack, the court heard.

She experienced constant pain along the left side of her body.

She was listening by videolink from a remote location, as her victim impact statement was read to the court.

Initially her son was accused of the attack.

"I saw the face of my attacker and it was not my son," she said.

Prosecutors argue 'disturbing pattern of behaviour' justifies life jail term
    The court was told Johnny Prohaska died not long after the attack, and Ms Prohaska had only been able to see him twice between the attack and his death.

She wanted the court to clear his name of the attack.

The court has heard of Murdoch's "extremely cold behaviour" in the wake of the attacks.

In both cases, Murdoch had stolen cash and bankcards and had attended nearby bank ATMs to withdraw money.

After stabbing and robbing Ms Prohaska he attended his regular parole check-in.

Prosecutors are seeking a life prison term for Murdoch and have asked Justice Dixon to consider imposing a maximum term only and not set a minimum or non-parole period.

Mr Papas pointed to Murdoch's past crimes, including a September 2006 attack in which he stabbed a woman in the neck after she refused to have sex with him.

He said there was a "chilling similarity" to these crimes and a "disturbing pattern of behaviour".

Murdoch's lawyers will respond at a hearing set down for next week.

Thread Information