Page 739 of 867 FirstFirst ... 239 639 689 729 737 738 739 740 741 749 789 839 ... LastLast
Results 18,451 to 18,475 of 21658

Thread: Dumb things that make you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I tend to usually dislike most old people. I come across a lot of unhappy, bitter old people. Which ultimately has led me to believe that the whole 'respect your elders' thing is bullshit. You don't need to respect anyone who doesn't respect you. Older folks have much less of a filter and tend to say some pretty shitty and offensive things.
    tell me about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    tell me about it!
    I was basically pushed aside when picking up a cake once because these elderly ladies felt they had more of a right to pay for their ice cream first before the lady behind the counter could hand me my cake. They threw a big stink and almost made the clerk cry. What made their behavior worse was that no one was trying to 'cut' in front of them. But man did they have to cause a scene because she was going to just hand me the fucking cake.

I wrote my thesis on respecting elders and how they deserve nothing as I was driving back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

old people.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I don't even consider you to be 'old' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I don't even consider you to be 'old' at all.
    Today I'm old. Incredibly, indescribably old.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Today I'm old. Incredibly, indescribably old.

elderly people make my job awesome. i would not enjoy my job the way i do if i only worked with people my age and younger, as they tend to be whiny and needy or just flat out jerkfaces. it's usually the 90+ crowd that really put a smile on my face.

Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.

Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.

?The human brain works slower in old age,? said Dr. Michael Ramscar, ?but only because we have stored more information over time

?The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.?
    Related Articles

Crosswords 'knock years off and delay dementia'
    14 Jan 2014

Scientists pinpoint age when childhood memories fade
    10 Jan 2014

Memory loss alert for men drinking more than two pints a day
    16 Jan 2014

Surgical advances: tackling cancer on the operating table Cancer Research UK

A team at T?bingen University in Germany programmed a computer to read a certain amount each day and learn new words and commands.

When the researchers let a computer ?read? only so much, its performance on cognitive tests resembled that of a young adult.

But if the same computer was exposed to the experiences we might encounter over a lifetime ? with reading simulated over decades ? its performance now looked like that of an older adult.

Often it was slower, but not because its processing capacity had declined. Rather, increased ?experience? had caused the computer?s database to grow, giving it more data to process ? which takes time.

?Imagine someone who knows two people?s birthdays and can recall them almost perfectly.

?Would you really want to say that person has a better memory than a person who knows the birthdays of 2000 people, but can ?only? match the right person to the right birthday nine times out of ten?? said Dr Ramscar.

The study provides more than an explanation of why, in the light of all the extra information they have to process, we might expect older brains to seem slower and more forgetful than younger brains.

And researchers say some cognitive tests which are used to study mental capacity may inadvertently favour young people.

A cognitive test called ?paired associated learning? invites people to remember a pair of words that are unrelated like ?necktie? and ?cracker.?

Studies have shown that young people are better at this test, but scientists think that older people struggle to remember nonsense pairs ? like ?necktie? and ?cracker? ? because they have learned that they never go together.

Prof. Harald Baayen, who heads the Alexander von Humboldt Quantitative Linguistics research group where the work was carried out said: ?The fact that older adults find nonsense pairs harder to learn than young adults simply demonstrates older adults? much better understanding of language.

?They have to make more of an effort to learn unrelated word pairs because, unlike the youngsters, they know a lot about which words don?t belong together.?

Scientists say this could explain why older people struggle to remember unusual first names.

The study was published in the Journal of Topics in Cognitive Science
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...w-so-much.html

The cops doing something about Sara being attacked again. I wish I could just move out of this neighbourhood but it's nice to know that they did take some action.
    If it hadn't been for Cotton-Eye Joe
    I'd been married long time ago

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I'm geeking out because I bought a water bath canner, jars, and accessories for my food dehydrator to make fruit leathers. I've already made apple rings and banana chips, and jerky (which I forgot about and became organic dog treats lol)

We're putting in a greenhouse this spring and growing our own veggies, now I know nothing will go to waste even if we don't get to it, because I can preserve it.

I feel like my nana, but that's exciting to me. Anyone have any good jam or jelly recipes?

We're trying to do the self-sufficient thing, growing our own. We're building a bigger chicken coop right now. Eventually we're going to buy a milk cow and do raw milk/raise our own beef. We got landlord approval (my landlady is awesome). Cool thing about living on part of a huge ranch is we have the opportunity to do these types of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    OMG
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

the flavored soul patch one. so ew.

It's snowing! It's snowing!!

okokokokokokokokokokokokok.

you have to click it. fucking amazing. you can skip through if you want because it's a long video, but A FUCKING ELEPHANT PAINTS A FUCKING ELEPHANT!!!

better than i can, even.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=566075863484336

here's another video:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to animosity again.

went to the first gay/straight alliance meeting today and i'm totally stoked about it. we have decided to brand ourselves as a resource center for the community, offering registration and education assistance for college students, heath/mental health information, and community service (instead of just being a club where the gays meet...)

we are going to have a big fun-raiser for spring break at the gay bar that i go to with a talent/drag show. hopefully, if i can get the owners to buy into it. gonna have to look into listing them as a sponsor for the club and see if they can get a tax write off for events that they sponsor.

i feel really good about this. what a fun project to work on!

dammit. i need to go spread the herp.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post

dammit. i need to go spread the herp.
    i can help clear it up for you afterwards!

first day of school, finally, and that makes me happy! but i am kind of worried because this semester, not only am i full time at school, but i have this job now... on top of that, i volunteered to be a part of the gay/straight alliance, and yesterday was asked to come back as managing editor of the school newspaper because the program was reinstated.

i really feel like i'm taking too much on but i don't know how to get out of the things i've volunteered for. then again, i got all a's last semester so it seems that i wasn't over my work capacity... i guess i'll just have to see where it all goes for now.

first day of school, finally, and that makes me happy! but i am kind of worried because this semester, not only am i full time at school, but i have this job now... on top of that, i volunteered to be a part of the gay/straight alliance, and yesterday was asked to come back as managing editor of the school newspaper because the program was reinstated.

i really feel like i'm taking too much on but i don't know how to get out of the things i've volunteered for. then again, i got all a's last semester so it seems that i wasn't over my work capacity... i guess i'll just have to see where it all goes for now.
    I tend to have a problem with this same situation because I have problems telling people no. I would say focus on your school and work and put the things you volunteer for last.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I didn't go to my ex's yet, so I'm happy - if living in a mold infested house is happiness. Leaving for his house this weekend, so I'm practicing for the aggravation by watching HLN. I'm alternating between laughing and yelling at the TV. Missed you all, and it's so great to read up on all of your lives.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    We got some news on the job front... My other half interviewed last week and made it onto the eligible list they are pulling people from to do background checks. They work their way down the list doing backgrounds and taking those who pass until they get the number of applicants they want. Not sure if they'll get to him this round or not, but he's in the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I tend to have a problem with this same situation because I have problems telling people no. I would say focus on your school and work and put the things you volunteer for last.
    tell me about it! it's the end of day two and i'm already exhausted. i told both the GSA and the newspaper that i want to make sure that my school work comes first and that i would do what i could but no more than that. i made it clear. their response was to make me secretary for the GSA and managing editor for the paper.

already, i've attended 2 meetings, written minutes and sent them out, created a lesson plan for the lab portion of journalism, emailed the ASB advisor to schedule a meeting about distributing sexual health information and condoms, and made cupcakes, painting them with pretty rainbow colors to sell during Club Rush along with my actual schoolwork and real work.

have not stopped moving in two days - i am doing 12 hours days and i do not like. my dog is pissed.

tomorrow is my last day at school for the week though so if i can get through it without going nuts, i think i'll be ok with all of this. it is the first week, after all. it should settle down soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkerDuckie View Post
    We got some news on the job front... My other half interviewed last week and made it onto the eligible list they are pulling people from to do background checks. They work their way down the list doing backgrounds and taking those who pass until they get the number of applicants they want. Not sure if they'll get to him this round or not, but he's in the pool.
    whoop whoop. *not a juggalo...

that's so awesome punker!!! glad he made it through!

Thread Information