Thread: Four people were killed when a ride at Queensland's Dreamworld theme park malfunctioned

Four people were killed when a ride at Queensland's Dreamworld theme park malfunctioned

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2016..._malfunctioned

This is so terrible. We have been to this theme park twice in the past year and the ride they were killed on is a tame one. It's where you sit in a big tube and go down some pretty tame rapids and get a bit wet. Kids 4 and over can go on by themselves. The first time we went to this park with our kids, my oldest LOVED this ride and we went on it repeatedly. Second time, it was closed for repairs

Apparently something to do with the conveyer belt malfunctioned and two tubes crashed into each other, and one flipped. Two of the people were ejected and died and the other two were trapped/crushed.

And to make it even worse Kate Goodchild's daughter was apparently in the other tube when it happened, so she saw it all

The devastated mother of two victims of the Dreamworld theme park tragedy says her family has been "wiped out" following their deaths on the Thunder River Rapids ride.

Kim Dorsett's two adult children, Kate Goodchild, 32, and Luke Dorsett, 35, from Canberra, were among four people killed when their raft flipped on the popular ride about 2.20pm on Tuesday.

This video shows what the ride is like - the accident happened at the end of the ride as they were going up the conveyer belt to get off. You can skip to about 3.08 to see the belt

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow, it does seem like a pretty tame ride. The other 2 victims have been identified.
    Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi were killed, The Courier-Mail reported. The fourth victim was later identified as 42-year-old New Zealand woman, Cindy Low, the New Zealand Herald has reported.

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...6faf31e2218bf2

I wonder if they knew Cindy - they often fill up the rafts with randoms to make the lines shorter.

'My sister and niece were in the ride, they were so traumatised, there is a woman hanging by her foot, crushed from the ride,

Oh man, that's horrible. It seems like such an innocuous ride. We have something extremely similar at Six Flags Over Texas called the Roaring Rapids. It flipped and a lady died, and like 10 more got hurt.

I feel so terrible for people who witness something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    Oh man, that's horrible. It seems like such an innocuous ride. We have something extremely similar at Six Flags Over Texas called the Roaring Rapids. It flipped and a lady died, and like 10 more got hurt.

I feel so terrible for people who witness something like this.

Yeah we have one at Six Flags Over Georgia called Thunder River that's pretty much identical except the rafts hold 12 people. A few years after it opened when I was a kid, one of the rafts flipped over. (I can't remember how many people were hurt or drowned ... that was like 30 years ago.)

Very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

On my cell.
    Silvia is at it again.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...et-stolen.html

I don't know which is worse, being pinned under a huge, heavy raft and drowning, or being crushed by a conveyor belt. Both are equally horrifying.

The one lady has an 8 month old baby

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Never mind. Cops said nothing was stolen.

A ?HORRIBLE alignment of planets? scenario is being looked at by investigators probing the Dreamworld tragedy as the first of the victims? funerals is held today.

Human error, mechanical malfunction and maintenance and operational issues may all have contributed to last week?s tragedy on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the Coomera theme park, a source close to the investigation told The Courier-Mail.

?Often in a catastrophe like this, you get a combination of contributing factors where the planets align horribly,?? the source said.

?(Possible) electrical problems, pump problems and human problems including compliance with policies and procedures are all being investigated.??

Reports this week claimed Dreamworld had admitted the hydraulic water pump on the ride *had failed routinely before the tragedy.

Dreamworld has insisted the ride was ?fully compliant with all relevant safety standards? at the time of the accident.

Coroner James McDougall, who was at Tuesday?s police re-enactment with crash test dummies, said that the investigation would take months but he was hopeful of an inquest next year.

Sydney mother-of-two Cindy Low, 42, will be the first of the victims to be farewelled today. She died alongside Canberra woman Kate Goodchild, 32, Ms Goodchild?s brother Luke Dorsett, 35, and his partner Roozi Araghi, 38.
    Ahead of her funeral today on the NSW central coast, Ms Low?s family said they were struggling to come to terms with their loss.

A joint funeral for Ms Goodchild and Mr Dorsett will be held on Monday in Canberra.

It is understood Mr Araghi?s funeral will be held at the weekend.

Dreamworld will not reopen at least until all funerals have been held.

The theme park yesterday imposed a media blackout ?out of respect for the families?.

In what he said would be his last media briefing until next week, Dreamworld chief executive Craig Davidson said the thousands of bunches of flowers laid at the theme park gates would be turned into a ?permanent living memorial?.

THE first funeral for a victim of the Dreamworld tragedy will be held today, with her heartbroken family saying they are struggling to put one foot in front of the other.

Mum-of-two Cindy Low will be farewelled by family and friends this afternoon at a private service near her home on the NSW central coast.

Ms Low, 42, was one of four interstate tourists killed in last week?s raft accident at Dreamworld.

She was at the Coomera theme park with husband Matthew and children Kieran, 10, and Isla, 6, when the accident happened.

Kieran was on the raft with his mother when it flipped on the ride?s conveyor belt, but was thrown clear.

Canberra trio Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, 35, and Mr Dorsett?s partner Roozi Araghi, 38, were also killed.

Ms Low?s family yesterday released a statement ahead of the funeral at Palmdale Hillside Chapel.

?We have spent every day trying to put one foot in front of the other, and it is extremely hard,? the family said.

?It is impossible to imagine a world without Cindy ... it is going to take us a long time to find our way.?

A joint funeral will be held for Ms Goodchild and Mr Dorsett in Canberra on Monday.

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...ef1f7a516f9957

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-1...t-told/9871898

Dreamworld's Thunder River Rapids had broken down twice on the same day a raft on the ride flipped over, killing four people, a coronial inquest on the Gold Coast has heard.

Detective Sergeant Nicola Brown was the first witness called to give evidence before the inquest into the accident at the Gold Coast theme park in October 2016.

She said a large pump on the Thunder River Rapids ride had failed at both 11:50am and 1:09pm without any incidents.

"Engineering attended, reset the pumps and operating continued as per normal," she said.

Detective Sergeant Brown told the court two operators managed the ride and there was a stop button on the main control panel.

"It's not an emergency stop, it's a slow stop. It takes approximately seven seconds," she said.

But she said an emergency stop button at the unload area of the ride was designed to halt the conveyor immediately.

Composite photo of (LtoR) Roozbeh Araghi, Luke Dorsett, Kate Goodchild, and Cindy Low.

PHOTO: Roozbeh Araghi, Luke Dorsett, Kate Goodchild, and Cindy Low lost their lives at Dreamworld in 2016. (Facebook)

In his opening address to the inquest, counsel assisting the inquiry Ken Fleming QC described the tragedy as "a significant mechanical breakdown".

Mr Fleming said a 2001 incident on the Thunder River Rapids, which occurred while no park guests were on the ride, was so serious it prompted a staff member at the time to write in an email: "I shudder when I think if there had been guests on the ride."

He said past incidents and previous breakdowns of the ride would be explored and investigated during the inquest.

Queensland Emergency service personnel are seen at the Thunder River Rapids ride.

PHOTO: Queensland Emergency service personnel at the Thunder River Rapids ride. (AAP: Dan Peled)

Mr Fleming told the inquest the fatalities in 2016 happened on "what was one of, if not the most, popular ride built as suitable and safe for the whole family".

"The south pump failed causing a massive drop in the water," he said.

"As the water dropped, one boat became caught on rails."

The court heard the victims were "forcibly propelled" colliding with the stationary raft.

More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    This is so horrific! This is the kinda ride I would take my kid on....now I can understand why my son is so terrified of any ride

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ntl/index.html
    Dreamworld theme park operators fined $2.5 million for malfunction that killed four people
    By Rob Picheta, CNN

Updated 6:46 AM ET, Mon September 28, 2020
    Four people died in the tragedy at Dreamworld in 2016.
    Four people died in the tragedy at Dreamworld in 2016.
    (CNN)The operator of Australia's Dreamworld theme park has been fined 3.6 million Australian dollars ($2.5m) for a 2016 malfunction on one of its rides that killed four people.

Visitors Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett and Roozi Araghi were on the Thunder River Rapids Ride at the Queensland attraction when their raft came into contact with another carriage and flipped over, tossing some of the passengers onto the conveyer belt and into the ride's machinery.
    Low's 10-year-old son and Goodchild's 12-year-old daughter were also on the raft, but survived the accident.
    Ardent Leisure pleaded guilty in July to three safety charges and was handed the punishment on Monday. The company had faced a maximum fine of $4.5 million AUD, CNN affiliate Nine News reported. CNN has contacted the company for comment.
    A number of safeguarding failures were read to the court, Nine News reported, alongside a victim impact statement by Kim Dorsett, the mother of Goodchild and Dorsett.
    "I cry for my children, my lost children, every day," she said.
    Dreamworld inquiry: Emergency button could have stopped deaths
    Dreamworld inquiry: Emergency button could have stopped deaths
    A 2018 inquest heard that the tragedy may have been averted had an emergency stop button been pressed, but staff at the theme park were advised in training "not to worry" about the button and instead rely first on a slower, seven-second button.

Radio presenter Patricia Karvelas, who was friends with two of the victims, reacted to Monday's ruling by writing on Twitter: "This is the penalty for the death of my friends? What a dark day."
    Ardent Leisure operates two Gold Coast theme parks, Dreamworld and Whitewater World, as well as the city's Sky Point observation deck.
    In a statement sent to CNN affiliate Nine News, its chairman Gary Weiss and theme parks division CEO John Osbourne said they apologized "unreservedly for the past circumstances and failures at Dreamworld".
    "Ardent accepts responsibility for this tragedy without qualification or reservation," the statement added. "Today we accept the Court's decision to impose a fine of $3.6 million which is the largest fine in Queensland history for a workplace tragedy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information