Thread: Woman Loses Arm From Flesh Eating Bug After Shooting Up “Bath Salts” Drug

Woman Loses Arm From Flesh Eating Bug After Shooting Up “Bath Salts” Drug

A New Orleans woman’s experiment with the illicit drugs dubbed “bath salts” cost her her arm — and nearly her life — after she was ravaged by flesh-eating bacteria that invaded an injection site. The 34-year-old woman showed up at a Louisiana hospital complaining of pain and redness on her right forearm, where there was a puncture wound the woman admitted was a needle stick. She said the symptoms started two days after she injected bath salts at party, according to a case report published online in the journal Orthopedics. Doctors gave her strong antibiotics for a skin infection and she seemed to get better. Two days later, however, the patient was still in pain.

On closer examination, doctors discovered growing redness, sloughing skin and a smelly drainage, the report said. Suspecting a growing infection, doctors immediately sent the woman into surgery. They quickly discovered dead muscle surrounding the injection site in her forearm, and an infection moving so fast doctors could see it killing healthy tissue in its path, the report said. Fearing for the woman’s life, doctors removed her right arm and shoulder and stripped away the dead muscle. They also performed a radical mastectomy and cut away more unhealthy skin.

The final diagnosis was necrotizing fasciitis caused by streptococcus bacteria. Such flesh-eating infections can kill quickly, with victims requiring surgery within an average of 25 hours of admission in order to survive, according to one study.

Mrsa?

Prevention A few ways to decrease the risk of catching Necrotizing fasciitis are to always wash wounds and small openings of the skin with antibiotic substance and cover ones mouth whilst coughing or sneezing and generally avoid contact with people who show symptoms of sore throat.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonita View Post
    On closer examination, doctors discovered growing redness, sloughing skin and a smelly drainage, the report said. Suspecting a growing infection, doctors immediately sent the woman into surgery. They quickly discovered dead muscle surrounding the injection site in her forearm, and an infection moving so fast doctors could see it killing healthy tissue in its path, the report said. Fearing for the woman’s life, doctors removed her right arm and shoulder and stripped away the dead muscle. They also performed a radical mastectomy and cut away more unhealthy skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

One way is to wash your hands frequently. I wash my hands after touching the door knob at my house. I know my nephew rarely washes his hands, he touches the door knob, I don't want his wiener germs on me. I keep antibacterial wash in my pocket or purse too. When in public, do not touch the bathroom door handle. Use toilet paper or a paper towel. At my doc office, you have to get a key to use the restroom. The key is attached to this long paddle looking thing. When I return it, I always use toilet paper or a towel. It gives me the heeby geebies just thinking about what is on that thing.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    One way is to wash your hands frequently. I wash my hands after touching the door knob at my house. I know my nephew rarely washes his hands, he touches the door knob, I don't want his wiener germs on me. I keep antibacterial wash in my pocket or purse too. When in public, do not touch the bathroom door handle. Use toilet paper or a paper towel. At my doc office, you have to get a key to use the restroom. The key is attached to this long paddle looking thing. When I return it, I always use toilet paper or a towel. It gives me the heeby geebies just thinking about what is on that thing.
    Gross!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjillian View Post
    Gross!

Fo shizzle. Teenage boys......eww

Thread Information