Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Brady (17) and his cousin Haile Kifer (18) were shot as they allegedly broke into a home on Thanksgiving Day

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I think it means he was waiting for something to happen and wanted to make sure it was documented. Although with that kind of planning, I don't see how this isn't first degree.
    You can't plan on someone breaking into your house though. Do you think he left a trail of pills to his door? I agree the guy is a weirdo and super over kill but if these two didnt break into his house they would be alive.

Worst house ever to pick.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

The set up sure makes it look like this guy planned on having his shit broken into again.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

The set up sure makes it look like this guy planned on having his shit broken into again.
    He didnt have his house broken into before. The neighbor down the street had their house broken into a few weeks prior. But it was like one break in in 47 years in that town.

ron_nyc: I don't like the black ones much.

Quote Originally Posted by krazegirl View Post
    Does he just keep a tape recorder on him at all times? That is weird to me that he has audio.
    Ya..that is really strange.

He didnt have his house broken into before. The neighbor down the street had their house broken into a few weeks prior. But it was like one break in in 47 years in that town.
    Authorities say Byron David Smith, 64, of rural Morrison County told investigators he pumped more shots into Nicholas Brady, 17, and his cousin, Haile Kifer, 18, after he wounded them.

Smith, who told authorities his home had been broken into several times previously, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder and his bail was set at $1 million, or $100,000 cash.

You can't plan on someone breaking into your house though. Do you think he left a trail of pills to his door? I agree the guy is a weirdo and super over kill but if these two didnt break into his house they would be alive.

Worst house ever to pick.
    I know, right?

I support the right of people to defend their own property, and if you break into my house you will be looking down the barrel of my gun. But even I think this is insane. He shoots one guy, then calmly sits down in a chair and waits for the other to come down the stairs? And doesn't call the cops? And records the whole thing?

Guns aren't the problem. Crazy is the problem.

I think he heard them trying to break in, so he went and hid and waited for them to come downstairs. He wasn't trying to intimidate them with a gun so they would leave, nor did he call the cops so they could hopefully be arrested. He wanted to kill someone.

Dude, he recorded himself 'slaying the terrible thieving kids'. Sat on their bodies overnight and then called a lawyer. Not only is this dude insane but he is dangerous. He had enough foresight to prepare his way of 'protecting' his pills.

I wonder if the girl heard the shots? Did they have guns too?

I haven't heard anything about them being armed. I think they probably assumed the house was dark because the resident was somewhere else for Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    I wonder if the girl heard the shots? Did they have guns too?
    I'm sure she did hear the shots (she was IN the house - how could she NOT), and not sure if they had guns themselves. I would suspect that they DID have guns, because why else would she have gone down the same set of stairs that he cousin did (where she heard the shots from) unless she thought it was possible it was the cousin doing the shooting and she was going to check things out.

How many shots did he shot at the first cousin? And how many at the second?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Venus2B View Post
    I'm sure she did hear the shots (she was IN the house - how could she NOT), and not sure if they had guns themselves. I would suspect that they DID have guns, because why else would she have gone down the same set of stairs that he cousin did (where she heard the shots from) unless she thought it was possible it was the cousin doing the shooting and she was going to check things out.

How many shots did he shot at the first cousin? And how many at the second?
    That's what I was wondering about.

did he set up a camera just to tape this shooting or did he have a security camera or cameras installed?

the father of one of my exes was one of these kind of paranoid dudes with lots of weapons and surveillance cameras on his property. he lived in a subdivision, so it's not like he had lots of land but he had cameras nonetheless. he also kept a loaded gun tucked behind the cushions in his recliner.

super awesome, super nice guy, super normal by all other accounts but he had this weird security thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

It really sounds like they were unarmed. Based on how there's no mention of a weapon, and this quote I found:
    "On the Facebook page, friends agreed that the shootings were too severe.
    'It doesn't matter what they were or weren't doing there,' Mike Boulley wrote. 'They were KIDS that didn't deserve to die. Defending your property against armed burglars is one thing, gunning down two unarmed teenagers is just inexcusable.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2Ey0c7tYF

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    It really sounds like they were unarmed. Based on how there's no mention of a weapon, and this quote I found:
    'It doesn't matter what they were or weren't doing there,' Mike Boulley wrote. 'They were KIDS that didn't deserve to die. Defending your property against armed burglars is one thing, gunning down two unarmed teenagers is just inexcusable.'

What's so hard to understand about this?
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Dude, the creepy way he gloats about putting the gun up to the kid's mouth and pulling the trigger, or thinks the girl who was shot in the chest 'laughed' when his gun stalled says he is a crazy menace to society.

He was aiming for this scenario. Ermm hermm.

Thanks, I knew someone would know.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. - Mark Twain

He was aiming for this scenario. Ermm hermm.

I do wonder about this man (what am I saying, there are quite a few WTF questions), if he was so sensibly prepared (read, super paranoid) for (about) this scenario, how could he not appreciate the difference between mocking laughter and a person choking on their own blood? Philistine.

God, I live in one of the hubs for mj, meth and coke and we don't have near the amount of shootings as some of these smaller towns! I am a gun owner and would shoot to kill IF I had to but I would almost always go for a knee shot! It seems to me though that this man may have had other issues going on. Im thinking maybe he had some PTSD going on!

Wow this whole thing has played out like a bad "Scared Straight" film shown to high school kids on all the bad that can happen if you take that first toke. Then you break into houses to get your next fix, not realizing that one of the cousins from Deliverance & Ed Gein's spirit is possessing the basement.

Byron Smith (65) premeditated the murder of two teens who had broken into his house previously

this mother-fucker...

so, he was pissed off that some kids broke into a home and decided to set a trap. apparently, he took a book, some water and his guns down into the basement, turned off all the lights in his home and moved his car around the corner. the kids broke in and he shot the boy right away. the girl heard and started screaming for her cousin and when she was running down the stairs to find him the guy shot her too.

he said something like: 'oh, i'm sorry! you're dying, bitch!'

then he kept the bodies in his house until the next morning because it was thanksgiving and he didn't want to bother the cops on the holiday.

this mother-fucker...

he audio recorded the whole thing. from the moment they broke in to the shooting to his commentary about the situation as he was cleaning up the 'mess'. it's very creepy to listen to.

thankfully, the jury convicted him!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...-kill-23517042

A Minnesota homeowner who shot and killed two unarmed teenagers during a break-in was quickly convicted of premeditated murder Tuesday, with a jury taking about three hours to reject his claim of self-defense.

Byron Smith, a 65-year-old retiree who once set up security in American embassies for the U.S. State Department, shot Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, multiple times after they broke into his home on Thanksgiving Day 2012.

Smith's attorney said he was fearful after previous burglaries. But prosecutors argued Smith waited in his basement and intended to kill the teens, with a setup so elaborate that lead prosecutor Pete Orput compared it to a deer stand. Their key evidence was an audio recording that captured the killings in chilling detail, including Smith's taunts as the teens died.

The mothers of the teens, who were cousins, cried as the verdicts were read: guilty on two counts each of first-degree and second-degree murder. Smith, who showed no emotion as he heard the verdicts, was immediately sentenced to life without parole. Defense attorney Steve Meshbesher said he would appeal.

Brady's grandmother, Bonnie Schaeffel, was among family members who addressed the court after the verdicts.

She said Smith seemed like a "sour, angry old recluse who felt he was above the law." She added she was sorry his house was burglarized, but said Kifer and Brady should have had the chance to grow up and learn from their mistake.

Kifer's aunt, Laurie Skipper, read a statement from her niece's parents: "Byron Smith made a conscious choice to shoot and kill our beautiful daughter Haile. ... The feelings of helplessness are overwhelming."

Smith's brother, Bruce, walked past reporters afterward without comment.

The teens' killings stirred debate around the state and in Little Falls ? a Mississippi River city of 8,000 about 100 miles northwest of Minneapolis ? about how far a homeowner can go in responding to a threat. Minnesota law allows deadly force to prevent a felony from taking place in one's home or dwelling, but one's actions must be considered reasonable under the circumstances.

Prosecutors said Smith's plan was set in motion on the morning of the killings, after Smith saw a neighbor whom he believed responsible for prior burglaries. Prosecutors say Smith moved his truck to make it look like no one was home, and then settled into a basement chair with a book, energy bars, a bottle of water and two guns.

Smith also set up a hand-held recorder on a bookshelf, which captured audio of the shootings, and had installed a surveillance system that recorded images of Brady trying to enter the house.

The audio, which was played several times in court, captured the sound of glass shattering, Brady descending the basement stairs and Smith shooting Brady three times. Smith can be heard saying, "You're dead." Prosecutors said Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him into another room, then sat down, reloaded his weapon and waited.

About 10 minutes later, Kifer came downstairs. More shots are heard on the recording as Kifer screams. Smith says, "You're dying," followed soon by the sound of another gunshot, which investigators said Smith described as "a good, clean finishing shot."

Later on the recording, Smith refers to the teens as "vermin." Smith waited a full day before asking a neighbor to call police.

Smith did not testify. Meshbesher highlighted previous burglaries on Smith's property, including one on Oct. 27 that included the theft of weapons. He said Smith was fearful, and had asked authorities to do a more thorough investigation.

During closing arguments, Meshbesher said his client was a victim, and the teens would still be alive if they hadn't broken into Smith's house.

But Orput said Tuesday that Smith intended to kill, making a choice every time he pulled the trigger.

"We know what fear feels like," Orput said. "Was it fear that drove this or was it something else?"

Kifer was a senior who was active in athletics at Little Falls High School. Brady was a junior and had wrestled at Little Falls High School before transferring to nearby Pillager High School.

Judge Douglas Anderson excluded evidence about the teens' histories from the trial, including court documents that showed Brady had broken into Smith's house and garage before. Brady and Kifer were also linked to another burglary; stolen prescription drugs were found in the car they were driving.

Meshbesher said the jury did not see all the evidence ? an issue he will raise on appeal.

Orput said after the verdicts that this wasn't a case about self-protection, but rather a "senseless, sad, premeditated murder of two kids."

???
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

whoopsie! please merge!

Thread Information