Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Bud and June Runion murdered after going to buy a classic car on Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    And he kept up the facade that he was still working by driving his work truck every morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    He lost his job, yet still got into his car every day "pretending" to be off to work.

Where did y'all read that info? I'm just curious.

Several news stories quote the uncle as saying that although Towns stopped working for him about six months ago, he would still see Towns drive by on his way to work "almost daily" (and it's worded differently depending on the article), but I don't think the uncle meant that Towns was pretending to go to work everyday since being fired just a few weeks ago.

(It's a very small town. I think it would be difficult for Towns to hide from his wife/family that he had been fired. Seems word would get around.)

I don't doubt that he was doing bad things his family didn't know about, I just can't find anything in the news about him pretending to be currently employed. Maybe I just missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Where did y'all read that info? I'm just curious.

Several news stories quote the uncle as saying that although Towns stopped working for him about six months ago, he would still see Towns drive by on his way to work "almost daily" (and it's worded differently depending on the article), but I don't think the uncle meant that Towns was pretending to go to work everyday since being fired just a few weeks ago.

(It's a very small town. I think it would be difficult for Towns to hide from his wife/family that he had been fired. Seems word would get around.)

I don't doubt that he was doing bad things his family didn't know about, I just can't find anything in the news about him pretending to be currently employed. Maybe I just missed it.
    Kinda reminds me of Michael Douglas's character in Falling Down, still going to work each day despite being laid off.

Jay Towns was indicted by a grand jury on eight counts: two counts of malice murder, four counts of felony murder and two counts of armed robbery.

(Major eye-roll at his attorney talking about what a swell guy Towns is.)

http://www.macon.com/2015/03/16/3642...raigslist.html

Indicted in midstate Craigslist slayings, man 'hasn't confessed to anything'

(March 16, 2015) A man charged with shooting to death a Cobb County husband and wife who?d traveled to Telfair County to buy a vintage car was indicted Monday.

Ronnie "Jay" Towns, 28, was arrested Jan. 26 after the bodies of Bud and June Runion of Marietta were found along a dirt road near Towns' home south of McRae-Helena. The Runions had been shot in the head.

Monday, a Telfair grand jury indicted, or formally accused, Towns on charges that include counts of malice murder, felony murder and armed robbery.

Elrey "Bud" Runion, 69, and his wife, June, 66, were last seen while on an evening trip Jan. 22 to meet someone near tiny Jacksonville, Ga., about buying a 1966 Ford Mustang. Bud Runion had posted a Craigslist ad seeking such a car.

According to an eight-count indictment, Towns, armed with a gun, stole Bud Runion's cellphone, wallet and the couple's small SUV.

The vehicle was found submerged in a pond near Towns' home.

Towns is also accused of taking June Runion's purse and phone.

Towns' attorney, Franklin J. Hogue of Macon, had not seen a copy of the indictment as of Monday evening.

"Right now, all I can say is he hasn't confessed to anything," Hogue said.

Hogue said he has spoken with Towns several times at the Dodge County jail in Eastman, where Towns is being held.

Towns, married with a 2-year-old daughter, has no prior criminal record, Hogue said.

"I'm beginning to get to know him and his family and they seem to me to be very nice people," Hogue said. "He's very courteous and polite. He's a calm, easygoing kind of guy. ... Even the jailers seem to like him."

Towns is set to be in court April 9 for a judge to consider whether to set a bond in the case. Hogue filed a motion requesting the hearing last week.

Because Towns was indicted within 90 days of his arrest, he is not automatically entitled to a bond, though the judge can set one.

His arraignment is set for June 25.

At that hearing, Towns will formally enter a plea to the charges listed in the indictment -- either guilty or not guilty.

The hearing in June also is the deadline for prosecutors to declare whether they plan to seek capital punishment in the case.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Wait, were they looking for an accomplice or am I remembering something else?

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Wait, were they looking for an accomplice or am I remembering something else?
    must be something else, this guy has always been the sole focus of this case.

http://www.macon.com/2015/04/10/3687...ried.html?rh=1

Prosecutor: Alleged Craigslist killer tried to prey on others

(April 10, 2015) EASTMAN -- A Middle Georgia man charged with killing a retired Marietta couple earlier this year in an apparent ruse using the online marketplace Craigslist may have tried to prey on other victims.

Ronnie "Jay" Towns, fired from his job at a tree-removal service in January and desperate for money, bought a throw-away cellphone and began contacting people interested in buying cars and other merchandise, a prosecutor here said Friday.

The new details emerged at a hearing in Dodge County Superior Court, where Towns was seeking bond.

Judge H. Frederick Mullis Jr.'s subsequent ruling to deny bond was not unexpected in a case that -- due in large part to its connection to the popular Internet site -- has made headlines around the globe.

Towns, 28, was jailed Jan. 26, the day Elrey "Bud" Runion and his wife, June, turned up dead with gunshot wounds to the head.

Towns, who is being held in Eastman, the site of Friday's hearing, faces charges that include malice murder, felony murder and armed robbery.

He is accused of killing June Runion, who was 66, and Bud Runion, 69, when the Cobb County pair traveled Jan. 22 to meet someone about buying a vintage car near the south-Telfair hamlet of Jacksonville. Bud Runion had posted a Craigslist ad because he was looking to buy a 1966 Ford Mustang.

Authorities believe Towns fooled the Runions into thinking such a car was for sale.

Prosecutor Joshua Powell, in arguing why Towns might be a flight risk, suggested that Towns eluded capture after the deaths by hiding in the woods overnight. The prosecutor said Towns had earlier tried to camouflage the Runions' bodies with brush and debris to cover his tracks.

Powell then added that Towns, before the Runions were slain, "was also communicating with other individuals trying to arrange for them to come and see vehicles that he did not possess."

The Runions' bodies were found along a dirt road not far from where Towns' parents live on a 300-acre farm south of McRae-Helena in rural Telfair County. The slain couple's 2003 GMC Envoy was ditched in a nearby pond.

Records apparently indicate the couple was in contact with someone on a cellphone that Towns had recently purchased.

"The cellphone that was used to communicate with the Runions was a TracFone. ... Mr. Jay Towns had a personal cellphone, but instead decided to buy this second telephone to contact the Runions," Powell said.

The prosecutor said the GBI has learned that the same cellphone used to call the Runions was used to call people seeking antique cars and other items online.

Powell said Towns was "in contact with multiple other individuals concerning (them) coming to Telfair County, the same address that was given to the Runions, to look at other vehicles."

Members of the Runion family didn't attend Friday's proceeding, but nearly four dozen of Towns' relatives, including his father and brother, and friends were on hand. The lean Towns, in a jailhouse jumpsuit, did not appear to acknowledge them as he strode in wearing handcuffs.

His attorney, Franklin J. Hogue of Macon, asked that Towns' handcuffs be removed before the half-hour hearing. Dodge County Sheriff Lynn Sheffield declined the request.

Towns sat at the defense table throughout the hearing and was never called on to speak.

Hogue said afterward that Towns' being denied bond didn't surprise him.

"I'm not shocked," he said.

"I respect the decision. ... We wished he'd gotten a bond. It's gonna be a long time till trial. These cases can take 18 to 24 months to get to trial sometimes."

Hogue said Towns was "prepared for today. ... He's gonna do OK. ... He's holding up."

Towns is scheduled to be arraigned June 25. That will be the deadline for prosecutors to declare whether they will pursue the death penalty.

So glad to hear he's "holding up".

Fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Towns is scheduled to be arraigned June 25. That will be the deadline for prosecutors to declare whether they will pursue the death penalty.
    Happy birthday to me.

Can you imagine being someone who was going to (or attempting to) get in touch with this guy?
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 04-14-2015 at 06:22 AM.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I hope he holds up until he is strapped down for his date with a needle.

I hope it BURNS as it goes through his veins.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Yeah dude, nobody cares how he is doing. How are the Runions doing? Oh right...they are dead.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

I thought they might go for the death penalty on this one, but I wasn't sure how the family would feel about it. Maybe the prosecutor is just angling for a plea deal ... in which case, dude should probably just plead guilty.

http://www.macon.com/2015/06/22/3810...n-alleged.html

Death penalty sought in alleged Craigslist killing of Runion couple

(June 22, 2015) Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a Telfair County man accused of killing an Atlanta-area husband and wife he allegedly lured to south Georgia after the husband posted a Craigslist ad seeking a vintage Ford Mustang.

Ronnie Adrian "Jay" Towns, 28, was jailed Jan. 26, charged with robbing and killing Marietta retirees June Runion, 66, and her husband, Elrey "Bud" Runion, 69, who had ridden down from Cobb County a few days earlier.

On Monday, prosecutors filed their notice to seek the death penalty, citing four aggravating circumstances, factors the state must prove for Towns to be executed.

Aside from the broad, commonly used terminology in capital punishment cases that the alleged killer's act "was outrageously or wantonly vile," they also contend that Towns killed the pair while stealing from them.

The bodies of the slain couple were found the same day Towns was arrested. The two were shot in the head and hidden along a dirt road near the Telfair farm where Towns' parents live. The property lies east of U.S. 441 between Abbeville and Hazlehurst, roughly 75 miles southeast of Macon.

On Jan. 22, the Runions had apparently gone to meet someone about buying a 1966 Ford Mustang near the Ocmulgee River hamlet of Jacksonville, where Towns was raised.

The day he was arrested, the Runions' 2003 GMC Envoy was found sunk in a pond not far from where their bodies turned up.

News that prosecutors were seeking death for his client didn't come as a surprise to Towns' attorney, Franklin J. Hogue of Macon.

"I've known from the beginning of this case ... that the death penalty was in play as a possibility," Hogue said.

The couple's slaying drew international attention early on, largely because of its apparent link to the prominent online classified advertising site Craigslist.

Bud Runion had posted a Craigslist ad saying he was interested in buying a 1966 Ford Mustang. Authorities believe Towns fooled him into thinking such a car was for sale.

Prosecutors have said that in January, days before the killings, Towns was fired from his job at a tree-removal company and was desperate for cash.

At an April hearing where Towns was denied bond, a prosecutor said Towns not only shot and killed the Runions, but he had also tried to trick other potential victims into thinking he was selling things they'd posted want ads for on Craigslist.

Prosecutor Joshua Powell said at that hearing that Towns bought a "burner" cellphone and was in touch with people -- the Runions among them -- who were looking to buy merchandise, including antique cars.

"Jay Towns had a personal cellphone," Powell said, "but instead decided to buy this second telephone to contact the Runions."

Powell said Towns was "in contact with multiple other individuals concerning (them) coming to Telfair County -- the same address that was given to the Runions -- to look at other vehicles."

Towns' arraignment, originally set for June 25, won't happen until after a so-called first proceeding, the initial step in a death penalty prosecution, which won't likely come for a month or so.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/jay...rder/432455969

Jay Towns pleads not guilty in Runions' 2015 murder

(April 19, 2017) A Telfair County man accused of robbing and murdering an elderly couple two years ago pleaded not guilty today.

Jay Towns is accused of killing Bud and June Runion in January 2015.

He faces eight charges: two counts of malice murder, four counts of felony murder and two counts of armed robbery.

According to court documents, Towns is accused of taking June Runion's cell phone and purse and taking Bud Runion's cell phone, wallet and car. Then he allegedly shot both.

Wednesday's arraignment lasted less than 30 minutes. Towns walked into the courtroom wearing a black button-down shirt and gray dress pants. He seemed relaxed and calm, even smiling at some points during the hearing.

The Runions reportedly traveled from Mariettta to Telfair county to see a car that Towns had offered for sale.
    But investigators said Towns just used the Craigslist ad to lure the couple to town.

Their bodies were found in woods on Telfair County several days later.

District Attorney Tim Vaughn says he'll seek the death penalty in the case.

glad to see he has held up thus far.
    still hope he dies in Jackson sometime in the 2030s

I hope the indictment doesn't get thrown out, but if it does, he'll easily be indicted again. Scumbag.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...t/93-583718170

Suspect in elderly couple's 2015 killing wants indictment thrown out

Jay Towns' lawyer argues that the grand jury was invalid because it was not picked randomly.

(Aug. 13, 2018) The Telfair County man accused in the 2015 double murder of an elderly couple wants his indictment thrown out.

Jay Towns appeared in Telfair County Superior Court Monday for a motions hearing.

There are at least 96 motions filed in the case -- but prosecutors and defense lawyers spent nearly the entire day debating one of them.

The hearing began with Towns' lawyers are asking Telfair Superior Court Judge, Sarah Wall, to throw out their client?s indictment.

They argued that the composition of the March 2015 grand jury was unconstitutional, because it was not picked randomly.

Superior Court Clerk, Belinda Thomas took the witness stand and testified that a computer randomly generates a list of potential jurors.

But not enough people showed up for the grand jury to hear the Towns case.

Thomas says Judge Walls instructed her to select people who were on the list for the next day's trial jury, and Thomas admits she called four people on that list that she knew lived or worked close to the courthouse.

She said, "I just called people that I thought we could get here in a hurry ... it was not that I specifically selected them for a reason."

But the defense argues that violates the rules for picking juries -- even bringing an 'expert witness' statistician who says that does not qualify as random selection.

Judge Wall did not rule on the matter Monday, and the motions hearing is scheduled to resume Tuesday morning.

Towns is accused of committing the 2015 double murder of Bud and June Runion -- an elderly couple who traveled from Marietta to Telfair County to look at a car Towns listed on Craigslist.

Investigators say he robbed the pair before shooting and killing them.

Their bodies were found in the woods just days after they went missing.

Monday morning, Towns entered the courtroom wearing dress clothes and a smile as he took his seat next to his lawyers.

A row of Town's family members watched the hearing, but they declined comment.

Apparently, no one was present on behalf of the Runions.

Towns is charged with four counts of felony murder, two counts of malice murder and two counts of armed robbery.

District Attorney Tim Vaughn is seeking the death penalty against Towns.

No trial date has been set.

So ... the Georgia Supreme Court threw out this asshole's indictment due to Telfair County's major fuck-up on the grand jury selection.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/10/...eir-dream-car/

A new grand jury will convene and easily indict him, I have no doubt. What concerns me is that he could be released from jail in the meantime, and I'm worried he'll run.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    So ... the Georgia Supreme Court threw out this asshole's indictment due to Telfair County's major fuck-up on the grand jury selection.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/10/...eir-dream-car/

A new grand jury will convene and easily indict him, I have no doubt. What concerns me is that he could be released from jail in the meantime, and I'm worried he'll run.
    Goddammit when will this fucker just die already?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Scumbag was re-indicted.

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/after-app...on-same-counts

Telfair County Superior Court clerk Belinda Thomas confirms that a grand jury has re-indicted Towns on the same charges he faced in 2015 -- two counts of malice murder, four counts of felony murder, and two counts of armed robbery.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-of-rcna149104

Someone fishing with a magnet dredged up new evidence in Georgia couple?s killing, officials say

Someone using a magnet to fish for metal objects in a Georgia creek pulled up a rifle and some lost belongings of a couple found slain in the same area more than nine years ago.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said driver?s licenses, credit cards and other items dredged from Horse Creek in rural Telfair County are ?new evidence? in a murder case that?s still awaiting trial.

A person who was magnet fishing in the creek on April 14 discovered a .22-caliber rifle, the GBI said in a news release Monday. The unnamed person returned to the same spot two days later and made another find: a bag containing a cellphone, a pair of driver?s licenses and credit cards.

The agency said the licenses and credit cards belonged to Bud and June Runion. The couple was robbed and fatally shot before their bodies were discovered off a county road in January 2015.

Thread Information